strategies to avoid tickets?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 12:40 AM
04 remembrance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
strategies to avoid tickets?

well, since my tsx purchase back in 10/08/03, i've been summoned 6 tickets in total. 5 parking tickets and 1 for careless driving, a total of 400 dollars. it's unfortunate how racist bergen county, nj cops are towards asians. no joke. anyways..

one of my friend avoided a ticket by acting like an immigrant that didn't understand a word of english, also by adding that he thinks he has 2.5 points on his record.

another friend of mine had a westpoint decal in his car and coincidentally, the cop was an alumni of west point, and he avoided a ticket by having a common ground.

any of you tsx'ers know a way to avoid tickets or increase the chance of avoiding one?
Old 01-06-2004, 12:50 AM
More On

Re: strategies to avoid tickets?

Originally posted by iamhomin
...it's unfortunate how racist bergen county, nj cops are towards asians. no joke. anyways..

one of my friend avoided a ticket by acting like an immigrant that didn't understand a word of english....
Prejudiced against ASIANS???

And your friend got off by acting like an IMMIGRANT?

Prejudice against immigrants, I could imagine that. But Asians?

What's the over/under on how long before someone comes on here and says "By driving slower"?

But actually, I see it's mainly parking tickets. There ain't no way to avoid those except by READING better.

(signed, An Immigrant)
Old 01-06-2004, 01:01 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Re: Re: strategies to avoid tickets?

Originally posted by larchmont
Prejudice against immigrants, I could imagine that. But Asians?

What's the over/under on how long before someone comes on here and says "By driving slower"?

But actually, I see it's mainly parking tickets. There ain't no way to avoid those except by READING better.

(signed, An Immigrant)
I know, something raised my flags too...parking tickets? Racism? You gotta explain that in more details.
Old 01-06-2004, 01:11 AM
04 remembrance

Re: Re: Re: strategies to avoid tickets?

Originally posted by phile
I know, something raised my flags too...parking tickets? Racism? You gotta explain that in more details.
okay. let me start clarifying. as for the parking tickets i've gotten, i'm just stating that i've gotten way too many tickets with no relevance to racism, as for the whole racism situation, cops tend to pull over asians just to check their identification. a strike has occured a few times due to the fact that the asians have been targeted for racist reasons, but apparently the problem still persists. one of the infamous incident was a chinese female that has parked in a no standing spot to help her baby that was puking and she was issued a ticket for standing in a no standing spot and for "failure to stop or yield".
Old 01-06-2004, 01:29 AM
Pinky all stinky

Well the way you wrote it, it seemed as if you got parking tickets simply for being Asian. I don't know if you realized this, but NJ is notorious for racial profiling. Sorry, it's not just Asians who get pulled over for random ID checks.

And I don't see how the story about the woman and her baby can be considered racist; she was in a no standing zone! Babies throw up all the time; so if her baby soiled himself and she pulled into a no standing zone to change his diaper and she got a ticket, you would consider that racism? From what I can get out of this, it seems that the woman wanted to be exempt from the law simply because her baby puked and when it didn't work, you guys cry racism.
Old 01-06-2004, 01:42 AM
04 remembrance

Originally posted by phile
Well the way you wrote it, it seemed as if you got parking tickets simply for being Asian. I don't know if you realized this, but NJ is notorious for racial profiling. Sorry, it's not just Asians who get pulled over for random ID checks.

And I don't see how the story about the woman and her baby can be considered racist; she was in a no standing zone! Babies throw up all the time; so if her baby soiled himself and she pulled into a no standing zone to change his diaper and she got a ticket, you would consider that racism? From what I can get out of this, it seems that the woman wanted to be exempt from the law simply because her baby puked and when it didn't work, you guys cry racism.

oh god. we don't cry racism from one incident that couldn't be fairly resolved. obviously it isn't only asians that are pulled over for random id checks, but asians get pulled over to an extent that makes "us" question the intention of the cops. not only that, let's think in perspective of that chinese lady. if you had a baby and he/she puked, woulnd't you be worried about the baby choking? or anything else that may cause the baby to go through even more pain? or even seeing your child go through pain? ok, she was standing in a no standing zone, a warning seems more appropriate and fair than issuing two tickets.
Old 01-06-2004, 01:51 AM
Registered AssHat

61 minutes.

By Driving Slower!

Or better yet...don't get caught!
Old 01-06-2004, 02:03 AM
Pinky all stinky

Of course any parent would be concerned, but had she stopped in the middle of traffic to check on her child, would you expect her to not get penalized for it? What if she pulled over in front of a fire hydrant? The fact is that she broke the law. It is up to the officer's discretion whether to give a warning or a ticket, but just because he chooses to issue tickets doesn't make it racist.

If her child was really in any distress, she would've driven him to the nearest emergency room as quickly as possible, or call for help. Why stay long enough to get a ticket?

Just to put things in perspective, one time I made an illegal left turn, but I got off with a warning...the officer could've given me a ticket. And according to the law, he should've. Had he done so, it still wouldn't be considered racist just because I was Asian.
Old 01-06-2004, 02:39 AM
Max
Racer

The Westpoint sticker is not a bad idea. My friend in armored cav said he had cops start to tail him and then stop when they saw his decal on the window. Personally, I think my DoD badge and ID will gain me some leeway if I get pulled over. Conversely, if the cop calls up my CO I could lose my contract - it's a risk.
Old 01-06-2004, 03:21 AM
Instructor

I know a way to not get tickets.

DON'T BREAK THE LAW
Old 01-06-2004, 05:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You know, we have the same issue being argued here in Cincinnati and I have to say it seems a bit far fetched that a minority is simply being targeted because of their racial profile.

You seen, I have relatives in and around Bergen County, NJ and I know one thing is true, there are definitely a lot of Asian, Indian and White Americans in that area of NJ.

Here in Cincinnati, police are being targeted for racial profiling eventhough the community suggesting it is a prodominately black community, so it appears that that group is being "targeted". I'm not saying there isn't the possibility for racial profiling, but has it ever occurred to anyone that maybe it "seems" to be racial profiling due to the fact the minority really isn't a minority in that particular community?

Out in the suburbs where there is prodominately white people, there are lots of parking tickets and people being pulled over for suspicious behavior too, but I haven't heard of a racial profiling cases there.

I may or may not be a dumb white American on this topic, I just simply can't understand the racial profiling thing because it is a complete waste of time for the police officer.
Old 01-06-2004, 06:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

In NH the cops only pull over whites... those racist bastards. Please explain the ratio of the populations... if the ratio of one race is higher in that area it stands to reason that more people of that race will be pulled over.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:28 AM
The Voice of Reason

New Hampster? Geeez! I worked in the South Bronx years ago, and I seemed to attract an awful lot of attention from the NYPD. Racist pigs! Did I mention I'm a blonde? I think the cops tend to notice incongruous patterns. So ... drive an innocuous car in an innocuous color. A TSX probably works as long as you don't put a triplane wing on the back. Hard to believe they've sold 20,000 of 'em since I almost never "see" other TSXs! A white shirt and a tie probably helps, too.

Buy a radar detector. (and place it in a discreet location like waaaay up behind the tinted band on the windshield by the headliner... if you flaunt it that's just as bad as the triplane wing! Ditto g-meters and that other crap.)

Don't park in "No Parking" zones!!!!!

("Careless Driving"??? In NEW JERSEY? Details? Usually the cops like to ticket for stuff like speeding and running lights because it's much easier for them to prove it in court. One man's "careless" driving is another's "cautious" driving, unless you end up on your roof or in the bushes!)

When you're stopped, roll down the window, shut off the motor, be polite, be calm, address the officer as "Sir", keep your hands visible on the steering wheel and tell the officer what you're going to do before you do it, like take out your wallet and open the glove compartment. It makes them less nervous, if they're less nervous they're a little less likely to write you a ticket. Do I seem know TOO much about this???
Old 01-06-2004, 08:16 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

How were you clocked? Radar, VASCAR, LIDAR? Mostly on Interstates or elsewhere?

There are somewhat different strategies for each. I think someone out there has written a book on this, but in general -- at least on Interstates -- you should avoid leading the pack, slow down near Interchanges, and (with LIDAR especially) treat suspicious braking by cars in front of you as a good indicator that there is a cop ahead.

If you aren't in close proximity with some other cars, there is very little you can do except slow down.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:48 AM
Advanced

well, in surburb area in WA, police are always aiming at Asians too. Reasons I have heard from one of the police? " There are many asians who race. We have a lot of experiences. So we do random check sometime." Nice huh?
Old 01-06-2004, 09:59 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ways I've avoided speeding tickets:
1. Don't go MUCH faster than other traffic
2. Don't just plant yourself in the fast lane
3. Don't change lanes too often as it draws attention to yourself
4. Be aware, look around, unless its radar a cop has to pace you.
5. Also, watch the on-ramps. CHP loves to plant itself at the top of the onramp.
6. Be aware of cars braking ahead of you for no apparent reason, especially if a number of them only tap their brakes.
7. Don't be the fastest car out there, let someone else pass you once in a while (I know its hard especially if you have an ego) and then follow a good distance behind them.

As for the parking tickets, the only way they can racially discriminate against your TSX is if its riced out. Post some pics.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:20 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by jlukja
5. Also, watch the on-ramps. CHP loves to plant itself at the top of the onramp.
6. Be aware of cars braking ahead of you for no apparent reason, especially if a number of them only tap their brakes.
7. Don't be the fastest car out there, let someone else pass you once in a while (I know its hard especially if you have an ego) and then follow a good distance behind them.

As for the parking tickets, the only way they can racially discriminate against your TSX is if its riced out. Post some pics.
8. Respect (suspect) big, plain, unmarked American cars.
9. Be courteous to the cop who does pull you over
10. Don't be one of these guys
Old 01-06-2004, 10:52 AM
Banned

Cops racist towards Asians? Unless one particular cop is a crazed Vietnam vet and had Charlie blow away his best friend... I would not be too concerned about cops singling out you out because of your Asian background.

I had a lot of Asian friends in HS who would say the same thing. Of course them being singled out had little to do with their race and much more to do with the fact that they drove ABOMINATIONS... blasted rap music at 140db and dressed like Mexican gang members.

I have an idea for a bumper sticker... howabout... "NJ COPS HATE CHINESE BABIES." I'm sure that one would attract more attention to the racial injustice that you are describing.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:43 AM
The Voice of Reason

Originally posted by jcg878
8. Respect (suspect) big, plain, unmarked American cars.
When I was picking my TSX up in North Jersey on my drive back I saw a Nissan Altima with strobes that had a Japanese import pulled over.

In NJ the State Police are also using SUVs and FWD Chevys. I've also seen a marked Camaro traffic patrol car (Wall Township) the only one I've ever seen in NJ. Strobes, radar and no light bar. TWO cars pulled over. Silver like the rest of the township's marked cars.

Most (numerical) of the Crown Vics and MGMs are limos in their way to Newark or JFK so you never know WHICH big, plain unmarked American car is the wolf in sheep's clothing and which is the sheep in wolf's clothing!
Old 01-06-2004, 11:44 AM
Über Geek

This is barely on-topic but I still want to know.
Why do cops say "high rate of speed" instead of simply "high speed"?

Maybe I'm missing something.
Old 01-06-2004, 12:34 PM
More On

Originally posted by captainjack
This is barely on-topic but I still want to know.
Why do cops say "high rate of speed" instead of simply "high speed"?

Maybe I'm missing something.
Great question. I love that phrase, say it every chance I get -- and with a smirk, which I'm sure very few people notice or understand.

I guess because they think it sounds technical/scientific.

I still remember, when I went to court to fight a speeding ticket 33 years ago, the cop said "traveling at a high rate of speed." I so much wanted to cross-examine him about his grammar, but somehow I figured they wouldn't go for it.

About Bob's stuff:

(1) Those are airports, for all you non-local people.

(2) Speaking of foreign stuff: WTF do you mean, Location/"Spanish Inquisition"?
And in the middle, is that Father Guido Sarducci?
Old 01-06-2004, 01:00 PM
STC
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by N_Smith
I know a way to not get tickets.

DON'T BREAK THE LAW
I agree!

Thread starter - haha

im chinese btw.
Old 01-06-2004, 01:22 PM
04 remembrance

Originally posted by Crazytree
Cops racist towards Asians? Unless one particular cop is a crazed Vietnam vet and had Charlie blow away his best friend... I would not be too concerned about cops singling out you out because of your Asian background.

I had a lot of Asian friends in HS who would say the same thing. Of course them being singled out had little to do with their race and much more to do with the fact that they drove ABOMINATIONS... blasted rap music at 140db and dressed like Mexican gang members.

I have an idea for a bumper sticker... howabout... "NJ COPS HATE CHINESE BABIES." I'm sure that one would attract more attention to the racial injustice that you are describing.
is it unfathomable to grasp the fact that cops can be and are racist?

people and their sarcasm " "
Old 01-06-2004, 03:33 PM
The Voice of Reason

Speaking of foreign stuff: WTF do you mean, Location/"Spanish Inquisition"?
And in the middle, is that Father Guido Sarducci?
I didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition.

But then "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"

[In the middle is Cardinal Ximinez or Michael Palin, flanked by two junior cardinals, Cardinal Biggles or Terry Jones has goggles pushed over his forehead. Terry Gilliam is Cardinal Fang]

Back to the original thread, as to why the gendarmes say "High rate of speed" I'll just link THIS explanation which was published in the New York Times during their better days without any additional comment.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:10 PM
Intermediate

Go to court!

Originally posted by jlukja

All great ideas

Also keep in mind that in NJ if you do get a ticket don't be lazy and pay by mail. Go to court! EVERY court in Jersey has some bogus ticket that has no points but a few dollars more on the fine than the speeding ticket plus the court fee. It is only there for people that make the effort to show up. Ask the prosocuter to give you a break and he will switch your ticket to the no points ticket. Its a win win situation. The township gets a few more dollars and you get no points. I have done this about ten times.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:30 PM
Advanced

well, since my tsx purchase back in 10/08/03, i've been summoned 6 tickets in total. 5 parking tickets and 1 for careless driving, a total of 400 dollars. it's unfortunate how racist bergen county, nj cops are towards asians. no joke. anyways..

one of my friend avoided a ticket by acting like an immigrant that didn't understand a word of english, also by adding that he thinks he has 2.5 points on his record.

another friend of mine had a westpoint decal in his car and coincidentally, the cop was an alumni of west point, and he avoided a ticket by having a common ground.

any of you tsx'ers know a way to avoid tickets or increase the chance of avoiding one?
Damn this is cheap. I use to be an import racer, and probably tallied over 18 tickets totaling over 5,000 dollars ina three year span.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:53 PM
My other "car" is a 4x4

Originally posted by DaiLo77
Damn this is cheap. I use to be an import racer, and probably tallied over 18 tickets totaling over 5,000 dollars ina three year span.
At least one of those must have been for driving with a suspended license...
Old 01-06-2004, 04:54 PM
STC
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I use to be an import racer
haha
Old 01-06-2004, 07:08 PM
Banned

hahaha... I've heard this from several people. I'm surprised anyone actually believes this BS.

BTW DaiLo... how's the chinese pseudo-gangster lifestyle treating you?
Old 01-06-2004, 07:20 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally posted by Crazytree
BTW DaiLo... how's the chinese pseudo-gangster lifestyle treating you?
LMAO...
Old 01-06-2004, 07:24 PM
Banned

BTW for those of you who don't know... "DaiLo" is the chinese equivalent of "OG". Where I live... every rice rocket pilot who lives with their parents while attending community college thinks they're a "DaiLo".
Old 01-07-2004, 04:46 AM
Intermediate

This might work if you have the balls to use it...

http://www.copsticker.com/
Old 01-07-2004, 01:46 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by XPLORx4
At least one of those must have been for driving with a suspended license...
Funny thing is when I drove with a suspended license, I did not get pulled over for that 6 months
Old 01-07-2004, 01:47 PM
Advanced

YOu are funny... I am 26 and do not live with my parents. Bought a house in San Clemente (Orange COunty). I have not lived with them for 6 years. I got this nick because I was older than most of the racers back in the days .
Old 01-07-2004, 01:48 PM
Advanced

Never a gangsta just a big bro to many people.
Old 01-07-2004, 03:53 PM
heywood j. ablowme

i'm a korean and i've gotten let off many many many times... even when i got pulled over going 65 in 45 zone, but it was during construction, so it was temporarily 25. it was at 2 a.m. and i told the officer i was just taking a break from studying blah blah blah, and he let me off - no warning, no ticket. just "take it easy, buddy."

i finally did get a speeding ticket a few weeks back, and it seemed like the cop was a racist at the time, because he was being a total dick. but then i realized, it could be that he's just a dick - to everyone.

i think it's actually more of cops pulling over younger crowd with nice cars. haha i actually told the cop "i can't afford getting a ticket" while sitting in a car that's worth half his salary.

dailo - organize your thoughts and respond in a single post instead of posting 3 in a row. also, do you mind posting your time slip for your 12 sec civic? it's veeeery rare for me to come across a civic doing anything better than 15 sec.
Old 01-07-2004, 09:19 PM
A-TSX Member

it's unfortunate how racist bergen county, nj cops are towards asians . . . one of my friend avoided a ticket by acting like an immigrant that didn't understand a word of english
You've lost all your credibility there.

You start complaining about racism yet the next line, you seem to cradle the idea of playing the race card.

Yes, the NJ cops are tough (State Troopers in particular) but instead of viewing them as a racist everytime you get pulled over, try what bob shiftright suggested earlier:
"When you're stopped, roll down the window, shut off the motor, be polite, be calm, address the officer as "Sir", keep your hands visible on the steering wheel and tell the officer what you're going to do before you do it, like take out your wallet and open the glove compartment. It makes them less nervous, if they're less nervous they're a little less likely to write you a ticket."

Show some respect and you may get some respect in return.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:09 AM
04 remembrance

Originally posted by Whatchamacallit
You've lost all your credibility there.

You start complaining about racism yet the next line, you seem to cradle the idea of playing the race card.

Yes, the NJ cops are tough (State Troopers in particular) but instead of viewing them as a racist everytime you get pulled over, try what bob shiftright suggested earlier:
"When you're stopped, roll down the window, shut off the motor, be polite, be calm, address the officer as "Sir", keep your hands visible on the steering wheel and tell the officer what you're going to do before you do it, like take out your wallet and open the glove compartment. It makes them less nervous, if they're less nervous they're a little less likely to write you a ticket."

Show some respect and you may get some respect in return.
uh, okay. 1) bergen county cops ARE racist, and apparently by stating BERGEN COUNTY COPS, i'm obviously generalizing. 2) my friend acted like an immigrant who didn't understand a word of english to avoid a ticket but never did i indicate which ethnicity he was. but i guess immigrants are only from asia eh?
Old 01-08-2004, 07:47 PM
A-TSX Member

iamhomin,

I did not mention what race your friend was nor was I focusing in on any one particular race.

My point was you should't gripe about racism and then think about possibly using the race card to your advantage. Can't have it both ways.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:35 AM
04 remembrance

Originally posted by Whatchamacallit
iamhomin,

I did not mention what race your friend was nor was I focusing in on any one particular race.

My point was you should't gripe about racism and then think about possibly using the race card to your advantage. Can't have it both ways.
huh? that's irrelevant. how did i use that against my advantage? ......i don't get it.

Quick Reply: strategies to avoid tickets?