Store the car for winter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007 | 09:18 PM
Instructor

Store the car for winter?

Who actually stores their TSX for the winter? (Especially Northeast) Do you invest in an another car just for that? Wouldn't the cost outweigh the benefits, unless if your other car is an ultimate beater?

I was reading the other car forums, and regardless of what vehicle it is, seems like there are people who actually do it, although the vehicle may not be that special like a Saleen S7 or a Ferrari. There are people who store the EVO's and WRX's in the winter, although you could put winters on it and be a badass during the snow season also. But I guess they think their car is too special for it to see snow........

I thought about getting a beater for the winter, but after thinking about it, personally I don't think the TSX is so special that it should be stored for the winter. (Unless if the car is modded to be a show car or a dedicated track car)

Good thing I invested in a clear bra for the whole front end.

What are your opinions.
Old 04-07-2007 | 09:32 PM
Race Director

That's stupid to store your car in the winter especially an Evo or WRX because both are AWD anyways and can be driven in the snow.

You only store your car if it's a classic car or one that can't be driven in snow that well like a 350Z, Corvette, or S2000.

I want to keep the TSX I think, but thought of trading it in eventually, as a winter beater in a few years and maybe get a nicer car. I don't know yet.

Bottom line the TSX is meant to be driven and not be stored up unless you want it to become a show car like CCColthockey's TSX.
Old 04-07-2007 | 09:37 PM
Pro

I have a 4wd Explorer for my work truck/ daily driver so I just drive that in the winter and store my TSX. Although I havent shown my car yet I do plan on doing so in the future.
Old 04-07-2007 | 10:35 PM
Registered Losers

I dont drive it when it snows to avoid salt, sand, and dirt from snow plows that cause the under carriage to rust and generally to avoid paint wear
Old 04-08-2007 | 09:09 AM
mrgold35

Cars in this price range are made to be driven year round. You can find Nissan Altimas, Toyota Camrys, and Honda Accord sedans that cost a lot more than a TSX and they are driven year round.

I rather drive the TSX in the winter with the traction control, front wheel drive, VSA, anti-lock brakes, and 11 air bags (OEM tires kinda suck on icy roads). Just do a good wax job and purchase all weather mats and laugh at all the SUVs upside down on the side of the road.
Old 04-08-2007 | 09:57 AM
Pro

^I would probably drive my TSX year round too if I was from New Mexico
Old 04-08-2007 | 12:23 PM
Pro

i drive it year round but thats because i have no other choice
Old 04-08-2007 | 12:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Tsx6363
i drive it year round but thats because i have no other choice
That's an excellent point and many people simply don't realize it. It's almost like going to the closet each morning and choose what clothes to put on for the occassion. If you only have one shirt all year round, then that's what you will wear to go out, go to work, work on your car or doing yard works. However, if you can afford a new shirt, then you probably still keep this old shirt around perhaps to wear it to wash your car or something. I'm sure you all have some old clothes laying around for those purposes, right? Eventually, the new shirt will become old the the cycle continutes. Now, thranslate that to car terms.
Old 04-08-2007 | 12:53 PM
Burning Brakes

yeah, i drive mine year round but thats cause its my only car. But for those who don't drive it year round, you have to consider their overall income and the weather they drive in. To some, the tsx is nothing, to others the tsx is one of the highest luxos they can spend on. In addition, up in the snowy regions, salt, sand and other nasty crap really gets down to ur undercarriage parts....I'm not looking foward to spring when i want to swtich out parts and see how nasty the screws are down there.
Old 04-08-2007 | 01:13 PM
Intermediate

I drive my TSX all year. First of all, its the only car i have, second of all it performs decently in light snow conditions as long as you drive safely. And when its really bad out there, you should avoid driving if possible anywayz. So save that cash for other stuff.
Old 04-08-2007 | 01:49 PM
Instructor

If the car was a limited edition or just unsafe to drive in the wintertime then sure, short of that my car is driven year round in all conditions (well except for hail if I can avoid it).
Old 04-08-2007 | 03:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

I do not drive my TSX in snow or rain, unless I get caught in the rain. Have a 06 miata as well, that I do not drive in winter. Just bought an 06 Nissan Frontier for winter and rain. My TSX looks like the day I bought it, if not better
Old 04-08-2007 | 03:54 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by dwest1023
I do not drive my TSX in snow or rain, unless I get caught in the rain. Have a 06 miata as well, that I do not drive in winter. Just bought an 06 Nissan Frontier for winter and rain. My TSX looks like the day I bought it, if not better
Wow, dare I ask how much is your car maintenance bill for all 3 of your cars? How about car insurance and your monthly gas bill? Also, are all 3 of your cars paid off?

I would love to have more than 1 car, but because of the dealer maintenance which isn't cheap, insurance rates, more expensive gas bills especially with rising gas prices, and car payments unless the car is paid off. That is a lot of money you put in into cars. I'd rather spend my money on just 1 car or maybe get a 2nd car, once my TSX becomes old and becomes a beater. There are other things I'd like to spend my money in like real estate, maybe a big screen tv, or a laptop, which I need because my other one just broke. But, this is my priority because everyone has their own priorities.
Old 04-08-2007 | 05:22 PM
Drifting

I kept my old car when I bought my TSX, which is a '96 Honda Civic. I drive it in bad weather and winter/fall for the most part and leave my TSX in the garage. That way I don't have to try and wash it in 30-40 degree weather or subject it to road sand and/or salt. Also, it seems like washing my car after getting caught out in the rain is more time consuming because its got bits of tar on the body that have to be scrubbed/clayed off, so I avoid rainy driving. I think my TSX has been rained on maybe a handful of times in the past year I've had it.
Old 04-08-2007 | 05:32 PM
4th Gear

Man, I didn't know the TSX was water-soluble.

I just bought mine, but it will be running snow tires next winter. I figure by the time I add up insurance and maintenance on a "beater" car (not to mention storing the damn thing), I'll just be spending more money and driving less car.
Old 04-08-2007 | 07:12 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by dwest1023
DWest - I thought that your name looked familiar (from the Miata forum). I too have an '06 TSX (my wife usually drives) and an '06 MX-5. I use my '02 Subaru Legacy to avoid using the other cars when the weather/roads are bad. I've never had a beater but I've always had a car that I can use instead of the "better" ones when the need arises (whether it be weather, parking at crowded malls, etc.,). More costly but I like the peace of mind.