A-Spec my 06

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 11:09 AM
for EVER more!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A-Spec my 06

Hi everyone

I'm looking for advice on A-Spec-ing my 06 MT Non Navi.

It has 29k on it and I just got a bonus and wanted to know if you all thought itd be worth it to a-spec it.

If I do, I'm going to have the labor done by the dealer that's local (Courtesy Acura - Sanford) but also want the ASPEC suspension and TL's brembo fronts.

I also need new tires soon (the OEMs treadlife is almost done-zo)

I dont want to spend more than 3 or 4 k - just enough to feel like I have a "new car" without the expense and disappointment of a different car (my girlfriend calls it "The Sex" cause she can't remember "TSX" - why would u want to drive anything other than "The Sex"!?!?)

I need some good advice and counseling, and I always get it when I ask you all, so thanks in advance.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:13 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Did you get a quote from the dealer for parts and labor?
Old 03-24-2008, 11:16 AM
for EVER more!

Haven't even gotten there yet - I want to know if you think its a good idea first (most on here are DIY - but i dont have the time or expertise to do this - but would pay someone to do it if they wanted to entrepreneur themselves out) :-)
Old 03-24-2008, 11:24 AM
Drifting

This is subjective, but A-spec is a mild drop and slightly stiffer suspension setup than stock. If you're looking for a tad bit stiffness and sporty character in your suspension, then this would be for you. If you have plans for the dealer to do it, there should be a warranty for it.
Wait a bit to see if other A-spec members will chime in.
Oh, don't get OEM tires for your next set. There's a lot more out there that are not only better, but less expensive.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:28 AM
boost owns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As a former A-Spec suspension owner, I recommend against it. For similar money you can have Tein Basics installed. A year ago I thought all I wanted was a slight (1" or less) drop. Now I have Tein SS on my car and couldn't be happier with it. It will absolutely look, and feel, like a new car with a nice drop on it.

Also, you can't get TL Brembo's on the TSX - they won't fit and Acura won't do that for you.

Hope I've helped.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:43 AM
for EVER more!

PAC and AudioSerf - thanks

I dont want OEM tires again. They are loud and dont handle very well - thats out of the question. I am hitting Consumer Reports for assistance in that venue - and staying away from the dealer for tires (they are way overpriced there)

Who could install Tein Basics for me? I am in the Orlando area - anyone know of a good performance garage that would be fair and do things right?

Could I get similar brembos installed? I really like the painted caliper look through the 06 stock rims but i think painting my OEM calipers myself is dumb and a hassle.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:46 AM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
I went from aspec to tein basics.

Aspec is a good buy if you want trouble free with cambers and more.
You still have warranty as long as the suspension was install properly.

I like my tein basics now, but i already had to get camber kits after messing up the rear suspension.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:59 AM
for EVER more!

I'm a noob - what's a camber kit and what's it for?
Old 03-24-2008, 12:51 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the Aspec I have on my 05 is perfect for me that is. I drive my car everyday and can't afford to have it very low. the stance is ok and the ride quality is still great.

the camber kit helps keep your wheels in alignment. when you drop your wheels end up looking like this / \ usually. but again that is based on how far you drop. the camber kits help correct this so you don't have uneven or premature tire wear.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:31 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by PittIsIt
I dont want OEM tires again. They are loud and dont handle very well - thats out of the question. I am hitting Consumer Reports for assistance in that venue - and staying away from the dealer for tires (they are way overpriced there)
Also search on Tirerack.com. There will be plenty of feedback regarding all sorts of tires, sizes, etc.

As for Brembo upgrade, you really don't need a big brake upgrade if you're running stock engine performance, i.e. hp and tq. Think more about changing out OEM pads and rotors.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:02 PM
Old School TSX Owner

I think if you are dropped on the A-spec suspension, it is not really necessary at all to install the camber kit. Camber kit I believe is for drops that are way lower then what the a-spec provides. I had my 05 for 3 years lowered on tanabe DF210 springs which are about 1.8" all the way around with no camber kit at all and relatively no uneven tire wear. Then again, its also how you drive.

For me, I don't think the a-spec is really worth the price they charge for it when for a little bit more, you can get a set of Tein Basics which offer ride height adjustment.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:29 PM
Racer

i put in the a-spec suspension not too long ago and am loving it. i am not a fan of the "slammed" look, just wanted something that looks a bit lower than stock. it definitely is a bit more stiffer than stock and now handles really well in my opinion. i think the car looks a lot better with this mild drop. it is expensive, but it is from the factory and carries a warranty with it.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:27 PM
for EVER more!

Acura_AK: What did you pay? Could I save by buying the A-Spec kit online from a discounter and then bringing the stuff to the dealer for install?
Old 03-24-2008, 05:48 PM
B A N N E D

Im thinking about buying the Aspec suspention.
Yes, you could spend a little more money and get something adjustable and more agressive, but i like the idea of this being made by acura specifically for the car and comming with a warranty. Plus i dont want to drop it that much.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Acura_AK: What did you pay? Could I save by buying the A-Spec kit online from a discounter and then bringing the stuff to the dealer for install?
If you want the full warranty then the most secure way is to talk to your local dealer who will be doing the install. They will no doubt want to sell it to you (at the dealer price). They may be willing to fully waranty it if you buy on-line from another dealer and ship it directly to your dealer for the install. I know that back when I was looking there were two Acura dealerships who were selling the suspension on e-bay. The least expensive way is to buy the suspension on-line and then have a local shop do it. My local shop charged $200 for the install. Acura will want to charge you around 3 to 4 hours of labor at their own labor rate ($90-$100/hr.)
Old 03-24-2008, 07:27 PM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
Tim (hondaacuraworld.com) offered me it at 565 and he said to his knowledge as long as its installed properly its warranty from any dealer.

I got it installed about 1 hr and half labor.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:16 AM
Cruisin'

Hondacuraworld now has the suspension at 650. Is that the cheapist price avalible?
Old 03-25-2008, 02:17 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by jlukja
If you want the full warranty then the most secure way is to talk to your local dealer who will be doing the install. They will no doubt want to sell it to you (at the dealer price). They may be willing to fully waranty it if you buy on-line from another dealer and ship it directly to your dealer for the install. I know that back when I was looking there were two Acura dealerships who were selling the suspension on e-bay. The least expensive way is to buy the suspension on-line and then have a local shop do it. My local shop charged $200 for the install. Acura will want to charge you around 3 to 4 hours of labor at their own labor rate ($90-$100/hr.)
Since I knew (from researching on this site) that if you buy the suspension kit directly from the dealer, they would charge you a lot more, I decided to get my kit from one of the Acura dealers on Ebay. The cheapest that I found was from Acura of Peoria in Arizona. They shipped the kit quickly and received within 3 days. I paid $630 for it. I actually ended up installing it myself, but as JLUKJA said, you can either have the dealer do the install or a local shop do it for even cheaper. But by having another shop do the install, they may not warranty it. I know every car is different, but after my install, my rear camber looked off. After taking it to the dealer for the alignment, the rear camber was indeed out of spec. They were able to get it back within spec after replacing the rear camber arms, which were all covered by the warranty. So I ended up with a free alignment, which was awesome.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:52 AM
for EVER more!

This is great info. Does anyone have photos of a before and after A-Spec drop with no body kits so I can see the equivalent to my car? ... alternatively, how much drop should I expect? Is there better handling?
Old 03-25-2008, 09:28 AM
B A N N E D

Its a 1 inch drop, and you will notice a significant increase in handling
Old 03-25-2008, 09:49 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 925tsx
Its a 1 inch drop, and you will notice a significant increase in handling

Originally Posted by acura_ak

I know every car is different, but after my install, my rear camber looked off. After taking it to the dealer for the alignment, the rear camber was indeed out of spec. They were able to get it back within spec after replacing the rear camber arms, which were all covered by the warranty. So I ended up with a free alignment, which was awesome.
There is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) on this as well TSB 06-007 that covers all of the 04 and some 05 models. This is one advantage of going with the A-spec suspension. Had acura_ak gone to the dealer with a camber problem and they found he had some other aftermarket suspension they likely would not have made any corrections.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:50 AM
08 MDX with Sports

Your really going to fork over 3g-4g's for a-spec and brembo? I say save your money and just get springs + Hondata and maybe JDM front lip with the spare $.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:03 AM
Instructor

I just had these tires installed on my OEM 06 wheels (yah, i know but I can't justify new/other wheels at this point).
I got a rebate from Goodyear $50 on the tires and another $50 for opening an account. I'm waiting for the weather to warm up a little before I put them on.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Eagle+F1+GS-D3
Old 03-25-2008, 10:27 AM
Instructor

I was also thinking of getting the a-spec suspension, but i can not afford it at the moment. I was looking for an increase in handling and a slight drop on the car. I think i am a little too old to have the car with a big significant drop.

I would actually say get the a-spec suspension. and save the rest of your money! but then again, I miss being young(er) and being able to be careless with money.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:48 AM
for EVER more!

i've canned the brembo project. i can't afford the time without a car to do Hondata. what i really need is a good tuner shop in Orlando area that i can trust to guide me through this thing - anyone?
Old 03-25-2008, 10:50 AM
for EVER more!

itsme - i'm almost 24 - and a working professional with a girlfriend - no one to really impress but myself - don't want a "rice burner" look either, just looking for a classy sophistication.

mattjp - where in pittsburgh are you? my gf is a soon to be Pitt alum and I'm class of 06.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:52 AM
Instructor

well good then you and i would agree that the a-spec is probably the better option. Since we both are looking for a sense of sophistication without the overkill and i use that world loosely. Sorry i realized your not that much younger than I. What did you graduate as?
Old 03-25-2008, 10:59 AM
for EVER more!

BSBA - Business / Marketing with Psych related area
Old 03-25-2008, 11:08 AM
Instructor

mattjp - where in pittsburgh are you? my gf is a soon to be Pitt alum and I'm class of 06.
We live in the beautiful south hills (McMurray/Cecil Twp) area just SW of PGH.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:36 AM
for EVER more!

Originally Posted by itsme27
well good then you and i would agree that the a-spec is probably the better option. Since we both are looking for a sense of sophistication without the overkill and i use that world loosely. Sorry i realized your not that much younger than I. What did you graduate as?
why did u ask that?