So Im getting rid of my Mustang, wanting to lease 30-35k car...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 01:09 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So Im getting rid of my Mustang, wanting to lease 30-35k car...

Looking at the TSX (obviously), A4, and 328i. Also not ruling out the new c300, but it would probly be out of my range.

Can anyone comment on any of these cars in comparison to the TSX?

I want leather, navigation, and some creature comforts. Acura has a lease offer now for 299/month for a non nav TSX. BMW now has $339 for a 3 series, but that will probably have NO options.

Im going to drive a 3 series and TSX tomorrow and talk to some dealers, but Id like to keep my payment under $400. Any comments would be appreciated.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Test drive each and see which one you like the best. But I think for reliability and more bang for your buck, it will be the TSX. But if your looking for power, you may choose another.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:47 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, you're coming from a Mustang so I take it you're used at least V6 power and RWD, something that the TSX just can't offer. The A4, with Quattro, is nice, but it will feel a bit slow compared to the 'Stang. The 328 will be just about there with the V6 Mustang, in terms of power, but it will be much, much better to drive.

As for the price range you quote, BMW will probably be a bit out of range if you want Leather and Navi. I priced out a 328 about 7-8 months ago and it came out to almost 38K after adding the stuff that the TSX gave me for $10K less (except for the name brand and the horsepower, obviously). For example, the BMW comes with letherette, and adding leather is a $1500 option, all by itself. Add automatic tranny ($1275), Xenon headlights ($800), Bluetooth ($750), Navi ($2500), heated seats ($500), and memory seats ($995) and you're up to $41,000 (these are all standard on the TSX Nav, which I got for $28K plus TT&L).

Nope, you'd be much better getting the TL if you're looking for power and want an Acura. If you want power and luxury, I'd suggest looking at the G35 which, when priced with all the options and goodies mentioned above, will cost you around $37K MSRP (probably negotiate it to $34.5).
Old 09-26-2007, 08:40 AM
Poser / Fanboi

I can comment on the Mustang and the A4 (based on VW experience):

Mustang to TSX: GT or V6, you're going to miss some torque in this transition. It's not bad, but it definitely does not surge the stomach forward like a bigger displacement motor. C'est la vie, right? On the other hand, I am able to routinely squeeze 28mpg+ out of my TSX in mixed conditions.

When I drive a 1.8T - the older sibling of the current 2.0T that you'll probably want in the A4 - it really satisfies; plenty of torque on tap way down low. It surely can't compete with 300ft-lbs or more available from a V8 but in the light car it's in (Jetta) it can really motivate. A real benefit of the turbo motor is that when you lay off it it gets great mileage - I've gotten 32mpg+ in the Jetta in mixed conditions, but that would be lower in a heavier A4.

I also agree with LoveMyTSX, the TSX is the best bang for the buck. Most people won't believe you paid under $30k for it, and it will be rock-solid reliable (but so should the other two Japanese lux cars). Audi has been mixed lately - I think Consumer Reports actually recommends the A4, but for a while it had below average reliability so they did not. Seems like the same for BWM?
Old 09-26-2007, 10:53 AM
Intermediate

Well My Mustang is a 577rwhp supercharged car.

Obviously Im not going to find that in anything Im shopping for. Im looking for a different animal now.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:06 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Blown01NJ
Well My Mustang is a 577rwhp supercharged car.

Obviously Im not going to find that in anything Im shopping for. Im looking for a different animal now.
So tell us exactly what you are looking for?

If the balance between comfort, technology, driving feel, and price is important, then the TSX is your best bet. Problems with the Audi is that they do not lease out all that well. BMWs lease very competitively, but have much higher starting prices and, as a result, you end up paying more.

The TL leases okay, but the residuals are still not as good as on the TSX. Same problem with the Infiniti G35. The residuals are not great. In fact, for the price you could lease a G35 sedan with the sport package, you could get a BMW 335i with the same lease terms.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:33 PM
Pro

I would put the TL on your list, maybe even buy a used one instead of lease. Like CGTSX2004 said TSXs hold their value better than a TL but maybe you would like the TL more. The TL has a V6 so that would give you some torque to play with and TLs have all kinds of goodies. If you go with an Acura you cant go wrong. I think that you will be satisfied either way. Just a thought.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:44 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
We shouldn't fail to mention to you too that the TSX will undergo a full model change next year. Something to consider...

Jesus, 577 rwhp. Thats 3x the TSX, to the rears....you're damn right you're looking for a different animal!!!
Old 09-26-2007, 12:53 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Coming from that stang, you really should be looking at a TL instead of a TSX.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:20 PM
Poser / Fanboi

Well My Mustang is a 577rwhp supercharged car. [...] Im looking for a different animal now.
Completely different animal... Well in that case, I recommend this:

Sure, I know what you're going to say, less seating, not as maneuverable... and where do you put the child seat? Definitely would not be disappointed with the straight line performance.

Seriously though, TSX is best bang for buck. Others might have more prestige, more power... TSX is best value.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:54 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,517 Likes on 1,183 Posts
The current TL and TSX is reaching the end of it model years. Most of us are expecting Acura to raise the bar for the all new TL/TSX and move the Acura name plate from entry/economy/value luxury into Lexus/Infinity/BMW/Audi/Mercedes sport/luxury status. The RDX and MDX are a sample of where Acura is going.

Have you thought about a 08 RDX?

It has all the same luxury items found on the current TSX and TL. The RDX has the added features of: 2.3L Turbo 240hp/260 lbs/tq and super handling all wheel drive.

I was checking out the RDX thread and came across this web article:

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...icle_id=687615

Temple of VTEC talks about project RDX and they up the WHEEL HP and TQ with Hondata help from:

210whp@5000rpm/243lb-ft@3400rpm (240 hp/260 tq at crank)
to
249whp@5500rpms and more than 290lb-ft@3400 rpm (280 hp/310 tq at crank?)

The total package was about $3,000-$3,500+labor for the RDX with more than half the cost for wheels/tires/brakes. This means for only $1,500 to $1,800+labor for a serious upgrade in power. They speculated with a larger turbo, the RDX could produce a lot more power at less than half the cost of a Comptech S/C.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:21 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Most reviews said the TSX compared favorably to the 3-series and A4, and the Acura won out often as a total value package. Reliability, comparable amenties, fun to drive, and a bit easier on the budget. A little like what I read of the 2005 RSX, "Champagne performance on a beer budget." But there are those who say the Bimmers have more muscle, and they're RWD. But you pay for it. Drive one of each, like the man said, and see which one you smile about the next morning.

Something that also worked for me: open a Word doc or something, and for each, do two bulleted lists, what you remember liking, and what you remember being annoyed at/not liking. Separately, draw up a "wants vs. needs" list like when buying a house. Score each on the same list.

I walked away from test drives of my first-pick RSX and a TSX, and the "likes/peeves" lists were hilarious. I loved the RSX, but had 1/2 a page of gripes about it.... YMMV.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:09 PM
Intermediate

Ok well I did some shopping today.

I went and test drove:

-Audi A4
-BMW 328i
-Acura TSX
-Mercedes Benz C300 Sport

Here are my impressions.

- I liked the Audi, I like the gearbox and the general feel of the car. Has some balls. They had a leftover 07 model there with cloth seats, no sunroof, did have a CD changer though, but no real options for 29k. Thats the one I test drove.

They quoted me $446/month for an 08 with 6 speed, leather, heated seats, sunroof, 17inch wheels, NO NAV, 12k miles/year for 36 months with 2k due at lease signing.

-After Audi I went over to BMW to look at the 328i. They have no Black/Black 6-speed 07s at all in the Northeast with the options I want. They quoted me $367/month with 4800 due at signing, 10k miles a year, premium package, leather, etc. The price went up to $393/month with Nav. To be honest, the 328 doesnt really do it for me, the 335 is a much better choice.

-Then I went to Acura to look at the TSX. I honestly thing the TSX interior is much better than the BMW, and the Audi. They quoted me $350/month for an 08 6-speed with NAVI, and 15k miles /year. A fire alarm went off and the evacuated the dealership and I left. I did like the car though.

-Finally I went to Mercedes and drove a C300 sport. Very nice car, they didnt have any manual transmissions there so I drove the auto which was ok. They quoted me mid 500s for a lease payment with 3k down, 10kmiles and 39 months. They also would have to order a 6-speed which would take 90 days.They kept trying to talk me into an auto saying the lease payments will be the same because the 6-speed has worse residual value. All in all I dont really get it because with the options I wanted it came in a lot higher than the BMW, when both cars have a similar price.

Id like to keep my payment around $400 if not lower, so I think I can cross the Benz off my list.

For those of you with bluetooth, is it unusable at highway speeds, because thats when I would be using it most of the time. What do you all think?
Old 09-26-2007, 08:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
I used the bluetooth all the time and as long as the your windows are up and the sunroof is closed, you should have no issues.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:35 PM
Poser / Fanboi

-Then I went to Acura to look at the TSX. [...] They quoted me $350/month for an 08 6-speed with NAVI, and 15k miles /year. [...]

For those of you with bluetooth, is it unusable at highway speeds, because thats when I would be using it most of the time. What do you all think?
Leasing rarely makes more financial sense than owning, but your choice. I put $4k down, pay $450 a month, and will own the thing. TSXes have the highest 5-year resale value of any car right now, so I'll retain even more equity than other vehicles.

Bluetooth works fine, as long as you meet the conditions CGTSX2004 mentions above and you don't speak with a strong accent of any kind. Highway speeds with the sunroof open... well as long as you placed the call with it closed and talked really loud, you'd probably do OK.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:10 PM
Intermediate

I think you would be happy with a TSX. I also drive a Lightning, not quite as much power as your Mustang, but plenty of HP and torque. I enjoy the TSX and just how different it is and its power delivery.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:36 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hunterk1
Leasing rarely makes more financial sense than owning, but your choice. I put $4k down, pay $450 a month, and will own the thing. TSXes have the highest 5-year resale value of any car right now, so I'll retain even more equity than other vehicles.

Bluetooth works fine, as long as you meet the conditions CGTSX2004 mentions above and you don't speak with a strong accent of any kind. Highway speeds with the sunroof open... well as long as you placed the call with it closed and talked really loud, you'd probably do OK.
Well if I buy the payment is a huge killer.

TSX holds its value well so I figure it would lease well.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:33 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Ok well I did some shopping today,,,,
And as the reviews often said, that TSX ended up being an economical alternative, without a lot of sacrifices, am I right? You'll find the "sacrifices" if you look hard enough, but your comments are so consistent with others. "Interior was nice in comparison," etc.

I use the Bluetooth (HandsFreeLink(R)), it's great. At highway speeds, do you mean noise? I have had few complaints. It will kinda depend on the road you're on (smooth versus gravel, clear day versus torrential rain), your tires (stock Michelins get griped about plenty; mine has Nexens), etc. Go to the web site to see how your phone tested with the system. (Or just try a dealer model, the setup instructions are in a little spiral "quick start guide" in the glove box.) Note that even if a phone "fails" their tests, it may still work. Mine (Nokia 6682) does the basics just fine.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:27 PM
Poser / Fanboi

Well if I buy the payment is a huge killer.
OK, sorry, that's one reason to lease.

TSX holds its value well so I figure it would lease well.
But at the end of the lease you own none of that retained value, so it doesn't really matter for a lease. If you were buying, at the end of 5 years you'd have equity to potentially trade for a new vehicle, and, with the TSX, you'd retain the highest percentage of the original value (something like 48% right now). Or even better, you just keep the car for 10, 15+ years and get even more value out of your payments.

With a 3-year lease you are perpetually locked into car payments. Sure, you always have a newer car, but at a higher long-term cost, particularly if you had instead bought a reliable car like the TSX, which should have lower long-term maintenance costs.

Honestly, I'm not entirely positive which outcome is better. If you could afford either it might make more sense to lease and put the difference (~$100-125/month?) into high-yield stocks, and walk away with more equity; after all, cars are NOT an investment... and IANAFC (I am not a financial consultant)

Edit: oh yeah, definitely follow davidspalding's advice and go to the Hands Free web page. Great resource for compatibility!
Old 09-27-2007, 05:01 PM
Instructor

Consider an IS250/350.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:49 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nsxiballer
Consider an IS250/350.

What do they go for?
Old 09-27-2007, 08:57 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
^starting at $30k but it can go up to $40k.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:59 PM
mmmmmm....

Ok well I did some shopping today.

I went and test drove:

-Audi A4
-BMW 328i
-Acura TSX
-Mercedes Benz C300 Sport

Here are my impressions.

- I liked the Audi, I like the gearbox and the general feel of the car. Has some balls. They had a leftover 07 model there with cloth seats, no sunroof, did have a CD changer though, but no real options for 29k. Thats the one I test drove.

They quoted me $446/month for an 08 with 6 speed, leather, heated seats, sunroof, 17inch wheels, NO NAV, 12k miles/year for 36 months with 2k due at lease signing.

-After Audi I went over to BMW to look at the 328i. They have no Black/Black 6-speed 07s at all in the Northeast with the options I want. They quoted me $367/month with 4800 due at signing, 10k miles a year, premium package, leather, etc. The price went up to $393/month with Nav. To be honest, the 328 doesnt really do it for me, the 335 is a much better choice.

-Then I went to Acura to look at the TSX. I honestly thing the TSX interior is much better than the BMW, and the Audi. They quoted me $350/month for an 08 6-speed with NAVI, and 15k miles /year. A fire alarm went off and the evacuated the dealership and I left. I did like the car though.

-Finally I went to Mercedes and drove a C300 sport. Very nice car, they didnt have any manual transmissions there so I drove the auto which was ok. They quoted me mid 500s for a lease payment with 3k down, 10kmiles and 39 months. They also would have to order a 6-speed which would take 90 days.They kept trying to talk me into an auto saying the lease payments will be the same because the 6-speed has worse residual value. All in all I dont really get it because with the options I wanted it came in a lot higher than the BMW, when both cars have a similar price.

Id like to keep my payment around $400 if not lower, so I think I can cross the Benz off my list.

Have you thought getting a TL-S? This might fit you better. The payment might be little over $130-150ish but much better car.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:12 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by S14 n Tsx
Have you thought getting a TL-S? This might fit you better. The payment might be little over $130-150ish but much better car.

I think that would be out of my range
Old 09-27-2007, 09:27 PM
mmmmmm....

I think that would be out of my range
If that's the case then you should definately check out an IS 250 awd.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:37 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by S14 n Tsx
If that's the case then you should definately check out an IS 250 awd.

Yea I was just pricing it out online. It comes to like 38k with options, so basically the same as the TL-S I guess.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:43 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by hunterk1
OK, sorry, that's one reason to lease.

But at the end of the lease you own none of that retained value, so it doesn't really matter for a lease. If you were buying, at the end of 5 years you'd have equity to potentially trade for a new vehicle, and, with the TSX, you'd retain the highest percentage of the original value (something like 48% right now). Or even better, you just keep the car for 10, 15+ years and get even more value out of your payments.

With a 3-year lease you are perpetually locked into car payments. Sure, you always have a newer car, but at a higher long-term cost, particularly if you had instead bought a reliable car like the TSX, which should have lower long-term maintenance costs.

Honestly, I'm not entirely positive which outcome is better. If you could afford either it might make more sense to lease and put the difference (~$100-125/month?) into high-yield stocks, and walk away with more equity; after all, cars are NOT an investment... and IANAFC (I am not a financial consultant)

Edit: oh yeah, definitely follow davidspalding's advice and go to the Hands Free web page. Great resource for compatibility!
I used to always buy my cars; now I lease. This is why.

I put away the difference between lease and finance, so, if I wanted to buy out the car at the end of the lease, I'd lose no money (because I'd pay it off completely - no need to borrow more) (and perhaps come out a little ahead if I had accumulated more interest on the money I put away).

But the following is the main reason: The last time I bought a car, some reckless kid talking on his cell phone missed a stop sign, and smashed into our car. Our car, which we take very good car of and has good resale value, has plummeted in value through no fault of our own.

By leasing, I will be protected against this for the first few years of a car's life, when I figure the potential for depreciation after an accident is greatest.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:14 AM
Instructor

Yea I was just pricing it out online. It comes to like 38k with options, so basically the same as the TL-S I guess.
IS-250 is a beautiful car, but seems to cost a lot for what you get. The 250 has similar power to TSX (with more low grunt). The AWD would be nice in snow, but will really increase drivetrain losses. Back seat, well it might as well be a coupe. The IS does the luxury thing very well though, if that's your thing.

Out of all the options you've looked at, the TSX does it better for the money than all of them. If power is a big concern for the TSX, try and hold out for news on what the next gen will have under the hood. It will surely cost more but should raise the bar on performance.