Should i Get this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 03:33 PM
KidWiTh2kTL

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Should i Get this?

i found a black on black 2004 Acura TSX with 6 speed/navi that has 82000 miles on it. the catch. it's a rebuilt title that has been rear ended. i know it's a rebuild title but for the price it's only 10g. is it worth the price? i included the ad and pictures so let me know. i'm checking out the car tonight!

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/car/774186935.html
Old 07-30-2008, 04:52 PM
JDM Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well...

the grammar of the person posting the ad is horrible.
take that into consideration.
oh, and that's not black on black.
the exterior is black, the interior is tan.
or as Acura calls it, parchment.

a rebuilt title is always a risk.

10g is a great price.

2004 has more problems than any other year.

hmmm....

I'd pass.

I'd look for a 2005 or 2006 if I were you.
that's just me though.
clean title too.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:55 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Exclamation

^^ I agree, plus its craigslist

Go Figure.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:37 PM
KidWiTh2kTL

you guys are right. in the seattle area. if i wanted to find a 6 speed navi and an 05/ i be looking to spend twice as much. imma get my mechanic take a look at it before anything though. it's worth a shot if i could get it for 9 grand. it is always a risk but thanks God it was just rear end instead of the engine.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:20 PM
KidWiTh2kTL

any other inputs? hopefully it's good though. always a risk to have salvage but oh wells. let me know!!!
Old 07-30-2008, 09:08 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very cheap price (but that's a lot of miles for a 2004) and make sure to have your mechanic do a full inspection. If you are ok with getting a compromised TSX I would say get it if everything adds up.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:12 PM
Detail Cars in Philly in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hoangtanle
any other inputs? hopefully it's good though. always a risk to have salvage but oh wells. let me know!!!
i have an '04 with 54k and its great..sure its alot of miles but its a honda as you know. as long as your mechanic gives the ok, then i say go for it!
Old 07-30-2008, 10:06 PM
Intermediate

doesn't sound like such a good deal to me.. no one really wants a salvage title, id rather just wait and put in a few more thousand and get a newer model with less miles and clear title.. and this car could have been damaged pretty bad..
Old 07-30-2008, 10:08 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Couple things - not that I'm an expert on the 2004's, but I've never heard of a "Special Edition" (Special Addition ...) or why it would it both be a 6 speed manual AND a sport shift (???). SS is what you get with an auto tranny. So first off, this person doesn't even know what they have or how to describe it. So if they're that inaccurate about the car, what else are they hiding? They are desperately trying to make it sound as appealing as possible, bad grammar and all.

So here's what I'd tell you: if it checks out good with a mechanic, it may be a decent buy. However, this is the kind of car you buy and own for a long, long time. Mostly because you'll never be able to trade it in at a dealer (they won't come near it - they'll honestly tell you "no thanks"), and you will likely have a hard time reselling it privately. So my advice is that if you're content to drive it into the ground, and it's mechanically sound, it's a better ride than you'll find for that price. But this is the kind of car you need to own until it's worthless. Once it goes over 100K miles, and given it's accident history, it's going to be difficult to get anything out of it resale-wise.

If you're only in the market to own something for 3-4 years, I'm inclined to pass on this one.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:12 AM
A Passionate Performer

nah.. you can find something better than that.. Just have patience, sometimes it takes a little time to find the right one..
Old 07-31-2008, 07:23 AM
Instructor

I would say that you ought to pass on it. Take at look at the environment in which the car is presented. Take a look at the text of the advertisement. I seriously doubt if the repairs were done in a workman like manner. And, the sale is probably sticky "as is" -- in other words, you accept complete responsibility for any defects found in the car after you purchase it. And, personally, I would be very reluctant to purchase any car off of any list posted on the Internet unless the car was local and had a clear title with no significant damage history.

And, what in the world is a "special edition"? All TSX's are special. Well, at least the 1st Gen.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:27 AM
KidWiTh2kTL

thanks for the input guys! i have checked out the car. the car doesn't have sport shift. it has a comptech short shifter. i am having my mechanic taking a deep look into it. maybe i could get some leverage because the VSA sensor is on but the car overall looks pretty well maintained. I will see what my mechanic can do about the ABS and VSA if it is just sthe sensor but yes i am looking to drive this car to the ground. the engine sounds much smoother than my friend's tsx. he considers it a Special "addition" tsx because it's fully loaded with navi/6spd. the guy couldn't speak a lick of english because he just came over from Turkey so he had to have a translator with him. But guys, thanks again for the input. We'll see if i could get it for 9 grand for a daily driver. any other input would be appreciate it though. thanks again!!
Old 07-31-2008, 09:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
My vote is on a rebuilt title. Too many unforeseen headaches, especially for a 2004.

You can do much better.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:38 AM
JDM Addict

every TSX is "fully loaded"

the manual transmission is NOTHING special.
it's STANDARD equipment.

here's the deal:

the car is debagged on the back.
there's an OEM lip kit on the front and sides,
the one on the back was destroyed obviously.
there's some hack fog lights, meaning the
wiring in the car is compromised.

they've put in a different shifter too, meaning that is compromised too.
you're VSA won't even work.

the back window obviously blew out, that's why it's not tinted.
but the trunk is still debaged?
hmmm.

the car was NOT fixed even to OEM standards.
I would STAY AWAY from this car and the OBVIOUSLY shifty
FOREIGN salesman that can't even speak english and just wants
to rip you off.

how much did he pay for this load of crap?
proabably about 5k.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:48 AM
KidWiTh2kTL

thanks you guys. put this into the garbage. no need for this car. thanks again. i will be more patient and drive my 00 TL until i find another . salvage sucks booty. i didn't think of how bad the car was damaged where the back window is gone. thanks again
Old 07-31-2008, 10:35 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
As others said, too many worries here. Even if you got it for $7000, an a/c failure, and the center console failure, and whew boy you'd be out of pocket some serious dough on your "on the cheap" daily driver. Hold on to the TL for something worth getting jazzed about.

MMsTSX your last comments were spot on. Good call.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:09 PM
KidWiTh2kTL

well put. i swear this is the best forum ever
Old 07-31-2008, 04:56 PM
Advanced

MMsTSX-great job identifying all those problems. I'd stay away from this car, I was offered an 04 TSX with the aero kit and nav in 6spd for $10k less than I just paid for my 06..but it was salvaged so I just chose to avoid it-no need for more headaches than what already comes with any car.

At least this guy is honest enough to say that any 'quation' you can call him.. haha at first I thought it said quotation.