should I buy this 08 TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 08:27 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
should I buy this 08 TSX?

So I am looking to buy a used car no more than $16k. I want something a little nicer that has a real kick to it in terms of speed. I found this 08 TSX with 75k miles for $15.5k and I am wondering if it is worth it.

Some questions for you guys:

1. How would you describe its acceleration, power and speed? I don't need anything ridiculous but I definitely want a little kick to it

2. Is this car worth the money given the info? What is your opinion on it?

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...Index=25&Log=0

Thanks everyone!
Old 05-24-2013, 08:40 PM
6th Gear

By the way I just test drove an '11 Mazda 3 and didn't like the feel of it, so I wanted more power. The specs of that are: 2.0L, 148 HP at 6500rpm, 135 ft-lb torque at 4500rpm, 2860lbs

Just seemed too rubber band like to me. I want something quick and more powerful. I know the specs are better for the TSX (50 more hp for example), but the TSX is also heavier
Old 05-25-2013, 12:17 AM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Looks like it's in decent shape...and the price seems reasonable, if it has not been in any accidents.

As for the speed question, it's been discussed here a bit, so a search of the forum might help.

Quickly however, I can tell you this: The TSX is not a slow car but it's not fast by today's "horsepower war" standards.

Can you drive a stick? The 6MT clocks close to second faster 0-60 than the auto, (more ability to use the VTEC power band and also lighter in weight, due to the magnesium transfer case.)

Good luck.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:15 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by tex24
So I am looking to buy a used car no more than $16k. I want something a little nicer that has a real kick to it in terms of speed. I found this 08 TSX with 75k miles for $15.5k and I am wondering if it is worth it.

Some questions for you guys:

1. How would you describe its acceleration, power and speed? I don't need anything ridiculous but I definitely want a little kick to it

2. Is this car worth the money given the info? What is your opinion on it?

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...Index=25&Log=0

Thanks everyone!
I'm incline to advise that you drive the car (or one like it) before you go much further in pursuit of a TSX. "Power" and "speed" are relative terms and I wouldn't take anyone else's definition as gospel. The TSX is adequate, but with 200 hp and 3400 lbs, it takes some practice to get the most out it (especially the AT, though I'm pretty confident that most, if not all, here that shit on it haven't had the opportunity to learn how to drive it relative to the 6 speed). Next, that price seems like an awfully low asking price for an 08; wouldn't be surprised if it's been hit. Last, 75K miles is nothing for a Honda if it's been maintained properly; if it hasn't and/or you can't find out, I'd be careful
Old 05-25-2013, 08:28 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Carfax showed that the first owner had an accident (link had a free Carfax), so it's worth seeing if there's any information about the damage in that accident.

If it was something minor (bumper work), I think it's worth a shot. I wouldn't call the TSX "powerful" but it certainly is adequate given it's size and weight. With the automatic, you can get to the power, you just have to keep the RPMs above 4000 and the acceleration levels change, at least from experience.

I've owned mine for just about 3 years now, and have enjoyed it quite a bit, despite being the automatic model. Maintenance costs are low, especially relative to the Germans, handling is sharp, and the 1G has aged phenomenally well in my opinion. It's a modern classic, and I'm sure I'll be hanging onto mine for a long time.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:27 PM
Racer

Simba: My thoughts exactly about the price...checking for accidents is a must. (Edit: Looks like jchan confirmed that.)

Also, point taken regarding the possibility of getting more out of the auto than the published tests have shown. As we all know, the power band on the K24 engine is after VTEC is engaged, in the upper reaches of RPMs. Certainly one way to do that would be to use the manumatic function to keep the revs higher.

I find that my 6MT TSX has plenty of power...and part of that is indeed knowing how to drive it.

There is a matter of weight difference between the two...but most people drive with cargo and passengers -- which could easily negate that. Heck, some of us might be even carrying more weight around mid-section than we should. (Kind of like the fat guys I see bragging about their $3,000 lightweight mountain bikes...they never consider lightening the weight of the rider.)
Old 05-26-2013, 11:24 AM
6th Gear

Just drove the 06 tax and really liked it. Definitely enough power for an every day driver for me. How much different is the 06 and 08 models? The 08 is $500 more but has 8k less miles and is two years newer

Thanks for the advice everyone!
Old 05-26-2013, 01:28 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Just drove the 06 tax and really liked it. Definitely enough power for an every day driver for me. How much different is the 06 and 08 models? The 08 is $500 more but has 8k less miles and is two years newer

The only thing that the 08 has that the 06 doesn't is the federally mandated TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system). A quick recap on the TSX. The first generation model spans the 2004-2008 model years. There was a refresh in 06 that differentiates the 04 and 05 from the later 3 model years (I'll leave it up to you to do the research to determine what changes were made if you're interested). The so called second generation cars span from 2009 to the present (and most likely final) model year. The 2nd gen cars are not in the discussion, and I mention it for informational purposes only. A problem with the 08 that you're interested in is that it's been in an accident. That by itself may not be a huge deal (to some), but it does (and will) completely disqualify the car as far as many used car shoppers are concerned when you go to sell it (many people won't buy a car that's been in an accident, period). If it's worth less now because of it, it always will be. I don't know what to advise you on the 06 versus 08 decision. The fact that the asking price for the 08 is only $500 more than the 06 is telling, and I'm going to assume it wasn't a minor accident.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:12 AM
Racer

The TPMS system I think is the only difference between the 2006 and the 2007/2008 models. Between 2007 and 2008, there weren't any changes to my knowledge. (IIRC, the 2008 model year was a very, very short one as the 2009 came out in March/April of 2008)

It's hard to say which one is the "better deal" without knowing what kind of accident damage happened. You have to get to the bottom of that to figure out if it's worth it. Just because a car has an accident noted doesn't mean it was terrible (i.e., my car was rear ended lightly about a year into owning it, but the only damage was some scratched paint on the rear bumper and I have never repaired it. The Carfax will show the accident, but when they see the "damage", any future buyer will realize it's not much).

On the flipside, it could have been quite a bit of work. If the dealer gives you an evasive answer, that's another red flag, though you can always take it to an Acura dealer/local mechanic for a thorough inspection for a few hundred dollars at most.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:13 AM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
The 07-08 also has 10 more HP then the 08 epa HP adjustment made it +05hp. The 07+ also has fog lights and aux jack for mp3 player/ipod.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:39 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ParaSurfer1979
The 07-08 also has 10 more HP then the 08 epa HP adjustment made it +05hp. The 07+ also has fog lights and aux jack for mp3 player/ipod.
The fog lights and aux jack were included in the 06's.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:49 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by llwtsx
The fog lights and aux jack were included in the 06's.
That's right...all occurred in 06.

One other slight correction: the HP bump in 06 was 13 HP, according to Acura & Road & Track magazine. http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...2006-acura-tsx

The EPA's recalculation for all cars happened the same year...and made it sound like just an additional 5 HP, but using the same recalculation for 04-05 cars would have shown them at 13 HP less than the 06-08 cars.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:35 PM
6th Gear

so I ended up getting it! I'm picking it up on Monday, and am really excited about it. I couldn't find any more information on the accident, and neither could the dealer (it's an Acura dealership), but we are going to assume it was minor, and it does come Acura Certified with a 12,000 mile/12 month limited warranty, 7 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty, 150 point inspection etc.

Can't wait to get it and love it dearly forever

Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 06-15-2013, 08:17 PM
6th Gear

One thing just really tripped me out though...the pictures in that link look NOTHING like "arctic blue pearl" when I google that. I like the darker color WAY more than ABP....

Even on the wheel pics where you can see the lighter paint from the flash, it doesn't look as light as the ABP to me....

This makes me sad, I am not a big fan of the light ABP blue color
Old 06-15-2013, 11:46 PM
6th Gear

One thing just really tripped me out though...the pictures in that link look NOTHING like "arctic blue pearl" when I google that. I like the darker color WAY more than ABP....

Even on the wheel pics where you can see the lighter paint from the flash, it doesn't look as light as the ABP to me....

This makes me sad, I am not a big fan of the light ABP blue color
NEVERMIND! It was wrongly listed as ABP, but it's royal blue pearl! thanks again everyone, will update once I get it
Old 06-17-2013, 08:49 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a big fan of royal blue pearl!

you're gonna love the car. i wouldn't stress too much about the accident. my car was in 2 light accidents. one was a slow speed fender bender with a bus (yeah, i know). that damaged the hood and fender. both were replaced and painted. the other was my stupid arse backing up out of a parking space and cracking the rear taillight, which was an expensive stupid mistake i made because i was overly concerned with another car that might be backing out of his space into mine, so I forgot the darn dumpster was in my line as i was worried about getting backed into.

now even sure both would show up since i just got the tail light fixed when i had the other work done.

the only other blemish on the car is an icicle fell right on the trunk edge giving it a nice dent. not bad enough that it was worth spending money on a new trunk, but bad enough that it annoys me. Put some rust protection on it and had it touched up with paint though so it doesn't do more damage. I should really check for a trunk at a junk yard some day though.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:57 PM
Racer

I always take the accident part of CarFax with a grain of salt because anything going through an insurance company will trigger it, yet if the seller doesn't go through insurance, there's a high likelihood it didn't get reported to CarFax.

I got rear ended a few years ago and we reported it to insurance, but I never had the bumper repainted (small scratches in the middle), so I'm sure CarFax will report "accident damage" when it really wasn't that bad. Should have just skipped insurance, but I wasn't thinking.

Congratulations on the new car! You'll enjoy it- I've had mine 3 years and find it hard to believe 3 years of driving (and just about 36,000 miles worth) have gone by. The car still makes me smile after all these years.