Selling my TSX to Canada

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 10:14 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Selling my TSX to Canada

Hi

I have a 2007 TSX and was wondering is it possible I can sell it to someone living in Canada? Since, the car is 10K more over there.

If so, where can I list the car at?

Thanks
Old 03-25-2008, 07:08 AM
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Funny, I was thinking of getting a car in the states because it's 10k less. Anyone in Canada knows cars in the US is cheaper than most cars in Canada. I doubt any buyer is willing to pay a full 10k difference. Plus you have to get the car imported and make necessary modifications to meet rules set by Transport Canada. There is also emissions testing and inspection. There are brokers adn dealers that specifically import cars and do all the necessary paperwork and inspections, so the buyer doesn't have to. But trust me, the difference from these dealers are WAY less than 10k compared to new Canadian vehicles
Old 03-25-2008, 09:34 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't canadian cars have to be equipped with daytime running lights as well?
Old 03-25-2008, 09:56 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by jlukja
Don't canadian cars have to be equipped with daytime running lights as well?

But its a 50 to 100 fix from what I've read.

US Dealers are listing quite a few used cars in Toronto area papers from what I've seen lately.

skyline

www.autotrader.ca
Old 03-25-2008, 10:55 AM
heel/toe is my specialty

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
DRL's, french airbag labels, and rear child saftey seat anchors (i think we already have these on usdm tsx) jsut to name the "big" mods to bring the car into Canada.

Also dont forget a lot of CDN acura dealers are not warrantying usdm cars that are now registered in Canada. I am not sure what the official policy is on this by honda/acura. WIth that said a lot of people are still buying their cars in the us and giving up the warranty. With the money they have saved they can fork out quite a bit on non warranty work (if any) and still come out on top.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:56 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Red@8
DRL's, french airbag labels, and rear child saftey seat anchors (i think we already have these on usdm tsx) jsut to name the "big" mods to bring the car into Canada.

Also dont forget a lot of CDN acura dealers are not warrantying usdm cars that are now registered in Canada. I am not sure what the official policy is on this by honda/acura. WIth that said a lot of people are still buying their cars in the us and giving up the warranty. With the money they have saved they can fork out quite a bit on non warranty work (if any) and still come out on top.
It depends on how much you can save on your own. At the end, this is still an Acura with minor factory defect that does not needs extensive warranty, if it's a BMW, I will be concern.

I have no idea why we need a French airbag labels. Is that for the victims to read, or is that for the rescuror to read? I'm Asian, the only I read is English, Chinese and Japs. lol.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:42 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

I live in Toronto, and frankly it's not financially feasible...if the Canadian buyer were interested there would be so many taxes against the buyer that they would be scared off.
Secondly that $10k diff. is all the same if not a little bit more due to taxes and duty, the canadian dollar is pretty high right now so the exchange would suck! IMO
Old 03-25-2008, 07:00 PM
10th Gear

what is the reasonable price to sell it in Canada? It has about 7K in it.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:01 PM
heel/toe is my specialty

Originally Posted by EvolveTSX
I live in Toronto, and frankly it's not financially feasible...if the Canadian buyer were interested there would be so many taxes against the buyer that they would be scared off.
Secondly that $10k diff. is all the same if not a little bit more due to taxes and duty, the canadian dollar is pretty high right now so the exchange would suck! IMO

Depending on what part of canada this guy wanted to sell to there might be hardly any tax. ALberta would be 5%, or roughly $1500 on $32k (great price for a 07/nav/auto/lowkm) out west. I dont remember how they calculate duty but iirc it is not that much. It is only on cars made outside NA so it would apply to the tsx. As for the CDN dollar being higher (as of this moment it is not but pretty close to par) isnt that what this guy would want? He is taking something he bought with money worth less than cdn$ and then sold it to a cdn whose money is worth more where his product is worth more!?!?!?
Old 03-25-2008, 08:58 PM
Cruisin'

I was looking into getting a US model and importing it before I picked up my '08 last month. The dollar exchange is just about even, so you can ignore that. Here's a list of what you need when you import:

Ignore GST and PST (if applicable) - they apply to Canadian purchases (those are federal and provincial taxes)
6.1% duty on a vehicle made in Japan, so that's payable at the border
I think the paperwork headache (Form 1 and Form 2 and inspection) is about $500 on the used car
The release letter from the manufacturer RIV Canada (the Registrar of Imported Vehicles) has begun demanding the letter from the Canadian manufacturer (Acura Canada, not Acura USA, and not a dealer in either country). The release letter clears the car (specifically by its VIN) as having no active recalls or campaigns and certifies that the car meets Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standards in effect at the time of manufacture (by the way, US 2008's are NOT admissible to Canada - they do not have a CMVSS compliant immobilizer (so said the RIV web site back in January- I don't know what's not compliant about the immobilizer - there's got to be one in there based on all the TL switchblade mod thread postings))
The Canadian Acura dealers (and one Acura dealer in OR) told me the warranty wasn't honoured in Canada on a US vehicle. I live in Vancouver, so heading to Seattle for a warranty problem isn't prohibitive, just inconvenient. However, Acura Canada doesn't want to write the recall letter for free ($500 was the last charge I heard) and they'll take their sweet time about getting to to you.
I just heard on the news tonight, a guy has launched a class-action suit against the Canadian brand reps (MB and BMW - he imports high-end vehicles) to eliminate these road blocks.

To give you an idea...you can probably pick up a 2008 6sp navi for about 29000 US from what I've been reading right...I'm assuming you can duck the state taxes being a Canadian.

+ 6.1% duty ($1769)
+ $500 doc fees (form1 form2 aspirin and antacids for dealing with gov't paperwork)
+ $500 recall letter
+ $500 in miscellaneous "conversion" costs (DRL/km/kph etc.)
totals about $32300
I paid just over $34000 in Canada

So I paid $1700 and:
didn't have to leave the country to get my car
no "foreign" warranty headaches
no re-sale hit for having a US car
my dashboard is metric
quite honestly, that's within my "tolerance" for avoiding a headache.

FWIW - I also got 48mos at 0.9% - versus about 5.2% on my line of credit. That pretty much overcomes the $1700 difference right there.

Reading the owner's manual, I discovered some additional features with the Canadian model: the larger washer fluid reservoir; I got both the US and Canadian navi discs (the Canadian one goes down to about half way through Oregon); no, I don't have XM and my CD player doesn't play MP3s

So, what am I saying...I think the used market will reflect what's gone on with the new market. The $10,000 you refer to is "list price US to list price CAD" difference, and it's not there anymore. The US dealers will move, the Canadians will REALLY move.

You can check Craig's list and buysell.com for a Canadian city near you, but you're going to hope to find a Canadian prepared to drive down and buy your car from the US where you are. You'll have to import it into Canada (I don't know if you can even do that from a US base) to get the premium dollars, otherwise, the Canadian will be looking to pay US market value for the vehicle and bring it back into Canada.

Good Luck.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:02 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Couple of questions.
- Doesn't the buyer have to pay GST at the border?
- Pretty sure the buyer will have to pay PST at the DMV when they go for plates?

You paid 34K for a Navi in Canada? + taxes correct? So the difference was more than $1,700. Either way thats a good deal.

And US TSX's don't play MP3's from the CD player either.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:26 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by dom
Couple of questions.
- Doesn't the buyer have to pay GST at the border?
- Pretty sure the buyer will have to pay PST at the DMV when they go for plates?

You paid 34K for a Navi in Canada? + taxes correct? So the difference was more than $1,700. Either way thats a good deal.

And US TSX's don't play MP3's from the CD player either.
yes, GST is collected at the border with duty, and PST (the poster before me has
a Flames logo as his avatar and as we Canadians all know, there's no PST in AB). Oh, I just got your comment (I think). A Canadian buyer importing a used TSX purchased privately WOULD pay GST at the border. When buying inside Canada, we only pay GST a dealer/business; a private sale is GST exempt. That's a 5% hit against the "US private deal".

to confirm...
I paid $34100 for a new (8km/5miles on the odo) '08 6spd Navi + $340 for the trunk wing + GST + PST (7% in BC)...

I know the OP was talking about a used car, and in my case, I was comparing a NEW, US-purchased car at $29000 + fees, duty and expenses to get it on-the-road in Canada to what I paid. There's really only $5000 or so difference in purchase price, and duty and fees chew through most of that difference.

BTW - the price benefit of the financing is real to me. I have the purchase price sitting in a savings account earning interest at a higher rate than the Honda Finance loan. The loan payments are made from that savings account.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:28 PM
heel/toe is my specialty

Originally Posted by T-Chuck
yes, GST is collected at the border with duty, and PST (the poster before me has
a Flames logo as his avatar and as we Canadians all know, there's no PST in AB). Oh, I just got your comment (I think). A Canadian buyer importing a used TSX purchased privately WOULD pay GST at the border. When buying inside Canada, we only pay GST a dealer/business; a private sale is GST exempt. That's a 5% hit against the "US private deal".

to confirm...
I paid $34100 for a new (8km/5miles on the odo) '08 6spd Navi + $340 for the trunk wing + GST + PST (7% in BC)...

I know the OP was talking about a used car, and in my case, I was comparing a NEW, US-purchased car at $29000 + fees, duty and expenses to get it on-the-road in Canada to what I paid. There's really only $5000 or so difference in purchase price, and duty and fees chew through most of that difference.

BTW - the price benefit of the financing is real to me. I have the purchase price sitting in a savings account earning interest at a higher rate than the Honda Finance loan. The loan payments are made from that savings account.

Not trying to start anything here, just voicing my opinion. I paid $28k usd otd for my 5at/navi. Essentially $10k less than you paid after taxes. If you calculate 12% in taxes and then another 6% duty still puts me $5k under you. Thats with the cdn dollar at par. Time it right with the cdn dollar higher than the usd and thats even better.

With that said I dont think its worth it for the op to bring a TSX. Now if you were bringing a car made in north america to alberta then we are talking about a whole other ball game.

I would bring the TSX to BC if it was for my own personal use but not to sell.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:58 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Skyline101
what is the reasonable price to sell it in Canada? It has about 7K in it.
A quick search at buysell.com of Vancouver area, 2007 TSX's will give you an idea of market price. From what I saw there, the asking range is high 20's and they're almost all dealers offering those cars. HOWEVER, a few things come to mind: First, that's ASKING, not selling price.
Second, I/we don't know if you've got Navi your price may need to be adjusted, and Third, I/we don't know where in Canada you're looking to sell.

"Buy and Sell" and AutoTrader would be the two major magazines to advertise in.

During my shopping, I came across MANY 2007's...NEW. Most had less than 100km on the odo (60 miles) and had never been registered. The dealers seemed stuck with them because head office wasn't offering the incentives to move the 07's like they were the 08's. My sales guy offered me an 07 for $600 less than the 08 I ended up buying. In the end when RIV Canada removed the 2008 from the list of admissible vehicles, that's what set my decision to buy in Canada.

How much more would you pay for a "new 2007 Canadian car" versus your USDM car with a "previously registered out of province" declaration? Answer that and you've got your asking price.

Red@8 - no offense taken - I spent hours on acura.com torturing myself with US LIST price vs. the deal I had cooking at a Canadian dealer.