Saab 9-3 is EXTREMELY popular...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 11:36 PM
More On

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by ySL
It seems like he's wasting his time arguing so passionately for the 9-3.......Did he then do anything at all in this thread to change our minds???
No, but maybe we're changing his mind!!
Old 08-02-2003, 12:11 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by TurboBanana93
I think TSX should have same price as Honda Accord v6..
I think near 30K is too much for 4 cyl Honda( Acura )..
Hey Noob get this: the TSX costs $700 more than an Accord EX V-6 non-nav. Both cars cost around $27K, not $30K. Enlightening. If you think the TSX is just another 4 cyl. Honda you are ignorant. I suggest test driving one first to see for yourself.
Old 08-02-2003, 12:13 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by Jason
Actually, I'm still waiting for you or anyone else to name a sedan that lists for under $30,000 and offers a navigation system and manual transmission. THERE IS ONLY ONE!
So still nobody has chimed in on other cars on the market that can achieve the goals of manual and nav. The Accord EX I-4 is one exception. Isn't anyone else impressed that no other car can touch the TSX here? It's called value boys and girls...
Old 08-02-2003, 05:07 AM
Racer

They're leasing out 9-3s for $299/mo with $999 down + taxes, etc. I think that's very affordable so it may help with the decision making process for many.
Old 08-02-2003, 06:56 AM
Racer

93Kewl...why don't you glorify all you want out of the Saab when you actually come around to own one? then tell us of your experiences and why it's so important to point out why you like the 9-3 so much to a bunch of TSX owners...I'm sure we'll also care then...
Did it ever occur to you that there might be people other than TSX owners here that (like me) that are considering other cars? I have been active here because: 1. I have owned Honda and Acura cars and provide a unique perspective on why someone would even "consider" another car, 2. Soopa was a decent enough gentleman (an Acura enthusiast I might add) to post something positive about a particular car that I have researched, test drove several times (as I have with the TSX), and chosen over the TSX. Then you have a so called "bunch of TSX owners" making statements based on conjecture (see larch's original posts about reliability then his "statistics" post), price, and even asking why someone whould choose one car over another. If you haven't done your homework on a particular subject, don't go mouthing off based on what you think you know or what "you" believe to be the truth.

As I told Santacruz, if you don't like hearing postive things about another car, there are plenty of rah-rah TSX threads here where you can praise your beloved car. I think it's admirable that someone had the balls to initiate this discussion. Whether you like it or not, it does serve some purpose to those that may be sitting on the fence as to which car to buy.

I don't want or feel the need to convince anyone why they should buy a 9-3 over a TSX. As a current Acura owner (of a car may I add that had a nice 8 year run), I had a certain set of criteria which the 9-3 fit best and the TSX did not. Hard to understand?
I thought not!
Old 08-02-2003, 07:16 AM
Racer

Originally posted by wishiwere
Larch,
From these posts, you portray the idea that reliability is the absolute most important thing when buying a car. My main question then, is why would you buy a first model year car? I mean, you basically say from above that you agree that Saabs are actually better reliability than you had realized, and you see that they pretty consistently have been above insdustry average. However, you then say that this is not good enough, that you need the car to be demonstrably way above industry average, because that's how important reliability is to you. But, this is pretty inconsistent with buying a first model year car with no real reliability data on it, doesn't it?

Actually, in terms of being a new model the Saab 9-3 and TSX are very similar. Keep in mind the 9-3 is now based off the GM's Epsilon platform. In other words, there's more new to the Saab 9-3 than old.

That said, if you're considering the reliability before making a car purchase and everything else is equal (both models have very limited reliabilty trend information) then it seems logical that you should look to the parent company's reliabilty trend. If you compare Acura's reliability to Saab's, using ANY report, Acura is higher.
Old 08-02-2003, 07:26 AM
Racer

Originally posted by 93Kewl
Did it ever occur to you that there might be people other than TSX owners here that (like me) that are considering other cars? I have been active here because: 1. I have owned Honda and Acura cars and provide a unique perspective on why someone would even "consider" another car, 2. Soopa was a decent enough gentleman (an Acura enthusiast I might add) to post something positive about a particular car that I have researched, test drove several times (as I have with the TSX), and chosen over the TSX. Then you have a so called "bunch of TSX owners" making statements based on conjecture (see larch's original posts about reliability then his "statistics" post), price, and even asking why someone whould choose one car over another. If you haven't done your homework on a particular subject, don't go mouthing off based on what you think you know or what "you" believe to be the truth.

As I told Santacruz, if you don't like hearing postive things about another car, there are plenty of rah-rah TSX threads here where you can praise your beloved car. I think it's admirable that someone had the balls to initiate this discussion. Whether you like it or not, it does serve some purpose to those that may be sitting on the fence as to which car to buy.

I don't want or feel the need to convince anyone why they should buy a 9-3 over a TSX. As a current Acura owner (of a car may I add that had a nice 8 year run), I had a certain set of criteria which the 9-3 fit best and the TSX did not. Hard to understand?
I thought not!
Dude, it's not painful hearing positive things said about other cars. It's painful hearing people say the TSX isn't worth the money SOME of us spent. Or that we should have spent the money on a Saab. I think it's great that you like the 9-3. I like it too, I like the TSX more, but the 9-3 ain't bad. But it's crazy to call people sensative because they feel compelled to argue that they prefer the TSX over the 9-3 or that it's more reliable or a better value. Don't expect to waltz into a TSX forum and expect everyone there to wish they bought a 9-3, and when you find they don't wish it call them sensative, that's absurd!
Old 08-02-2003, 07:30 AM
Racer

Originally posted by TurboBanana93
I like the Look of the 93ss too.
And I just want to say..
If you love your car and have faith on them.. You shouldn't bothered by the future resale value..
That's my opinion.. Thanks.
did you actually write this????
Old 08-02-2003, 07:35 AM
Racer

Reliabilty - Advantage TSX (I'll admit it's inherited from past Acura's, but it is an advantage and I'll take it)

Resale Value - Advantage TSX

Looks - Tie (I like 'em both)

Performance - Too close to call (Note: I'm making a comparison to the Vector 9-3. The TSX is a better performer than the Linear.) I personally prefer the handling of the TSX, and I don't like the turbo lag of the 9-3, although I did enjoy the low-end torque.

$ Value - Advantage TSX. $ for $ there is NO other car that can match what the TSX has.

Prestige Factor - Advantage Saab. For some reason if you're from North America, if you buy a car made in Europe, it's cooler than buying one from Japan. I think Lexus is making up some ground but prestige is still dressed in a European cloak.

TSX - 3 Advantages & 2 Ties
9-3 - 1 Advantage & 2 Ties

WINNER....TSX
Old 08-02-2003, 07:39 AM
Racer

somebody pass me the butter.
Old 08-02-2003, 07:55 AM
Racer

Resale Value - Advantage TSX
Come back to me after 3 years when you have some numbers to back it up. Especially, when we can compare the two cars.

Let me add some more:

Features either standard or available : Advantage 9-3

(Don't need navi, never needed navi, and will never need navi...if I abosolutely need it for some strange reason, a Pocket PC with GPS serves just as well).

Acceleration when matched with Auto Tranny: Advantage 9-3

The two above reasons (especially performance with Auto tranny) in addition to the 9-3 cavernous trunk space (15.0 cu feet) pushed me in favor of the 9-3.

Winner? Hmmmm. Maybe it's not what you and I listed, perhaps there is something deeper...Perhaps the winner is how the car makes one feel.

In that case, I'd be man enough to call it a tie.
Old 08-02-2003, 08:07 AM
Racer

Dude, it's not painful hearing positive things said about other cars. It's painful hearing people say the TSX isn't worth the money SOME of us spent. Or that we should have spent the money on a Saab. I think it's great that you like the 9-3. I like it too, I like the TSX more, but the 9-3 ain't bad. But it's crazy to call people sensative because they feel compelled to argue that they prefer the TSX over the 9-3 or that it's more reliable or a better value.
People here have called me on the carpet for the above reasons. In all actuality I NEVER said the TSX isn't worth the money....I believe that was Soopa. You have made the wrong assumptions before about my intentions (you have even corrected yourself publically).

As for value, let me just say this. Most of us, (yes even including you) work hard for our money. Some of us, may have more to spend on a car than some others. Value should be perceived on what features of a car you are getting for your hard earned dollar. If I perceived that the TSX is not a good value because it doesn't come with some of the things I am used to having in a car, then obviously it doesn't give me much value.

Don't expect to waltz into a TSX forum and expect everyone there to wish they bought a 9-3, and when you find they don't wish it call them sensative, that's absurd!
This is your own (and others) insecurity. I don't recall anyone's implied or otherwise statements mentioning this. As a matter of fact, as I mentioned before, my stance has been mostly defensive in nature, dealing with mostly innaccurate or conjecture-based statements.
Old 08-02-2003, 08:20 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by wishiwere
First of all, the Saab is the only one that has a refridgerated glove compartment, so it does have a claim to fame
No wonder those Swedes are always smiling

[i] I challenge you (or anyone else) to actually point out how the tsx really is a much better value than the 93. [/B]
I took the 9-3 out twice and loved the car, but these were my reasons for not choosing this car, all of which are based on "value":

1) I'm in outside sales so I drive lots and I make appointments with clients where its absolutely crucial that I be on time. This means that I need a car that has a)a good residual value and re-sale after only 3 years where I may be 10,000 km over on a 36 month lease (108,000 km) b) Is extremely reliable. I don't have the time to be going in and out of shops for un scheduled service.
The 9-3 lost my comapro vs TSX on resale and reliability (both were based on studies I've done ith car mags and info on the net.

2) Purchase price. Note my name, according to my accountant in my line of work, 35 K was what I should spend in order to maximize my write-off without overspending. I looked at the Saab, cuz here in Canada the 9-3 started at 34 K and I understood that they might be willing to deal on the car. Once we got to the offer stage with the car, the sales manager just couldn't give me the car I wanted at my price, the closest he got was 39 K for the linear fully loaded or 43 K for the Vector with a 6 speed, etc. The only feature the Saabs had was On-Star which wasn't a big deal for me as I make my living in communications. The argument was that they were only sending something like 7,000 units to Canada and that they'd sell to the Saab faithful or to someone who can appreciate the car. Sounds kinda like the TSX sales pitch doesn't it??

So maybe for you in your region they're willing to take 10-15% of MSRP, but in Canada they weren't.

So there you have it: Resale, Reliability vs TSX, Price.

Car vs Car, I agree that these 2 cars (The A4 CVT doesn't count since it doesn't have a manual tranny) match up almost neck and neck. When I do see the 9-3 its always caught my eye. I guess if they were the same price and I could walk away from lease in 3-4 yrs I would have more closely considered the 9-3.
Old 08-02-2003, 09:16 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
i think we have gone round and round enough, no?

notice: stop posting `spawns` of this thread. they will be closed. its gone far enough.