rev limiter; potential issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 10:04 PM
101 years of heartache...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation rev limiter; potential issues

i decided to take my dad's (and my future) TSX out for some high-revving action around the neighborhood. i had 2 friends in the car and one said i had to show him the "manual mode". so i flicked it into sport-shift, and pushed it. i wanted to show my friends how the car's rev limiter shakes it like a real manual tranny car (if you dont shift, it shakes). well, after hitting 5000 rpm, it kept climbing, and climbing, and climbing, until red line, where in self-defence for my engine i shifted. it has never done this before. my guess, and i hope i'm right, is that it did this because i put it directly into sport shift for the 1st time ever in my "TSX driving" history. All other sport-shift usage came after getting out of side streets with the basic Drive gear engaged. When i did put it into SS, it peaked out at about 5,500 rpm. I'm kinda worried, is there a problem? any help appreciated, and thanks in advance.
Old 03-24-2004, 10:19 PM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: rev limiter; potential issues

Originally posted by gocubsgo55
i wanted to show my friends how the car's rev limiter shakes it like a real manual tranny car (if you dont shift, it shakes)
wtf is the point of showing them that?
Old 03-24-2004, 10:24 PM
Burning Brakes

um...don't take your parent's car out and do stupid things with it...what's the point of showing off your PARENT's car
Old 03-24-2004, 10:26 PM

ah the infamous gilboman! lol, just kidding. yea just to clearify, i wasnt doing anything stupid, just pedal-to-the-metal in 1st gear to get some engine revs out.
i guess since they've never seen one in action it seemed like an experience, but anyway. i can really use some good news about this, and will gladly except the true bad news if something didn't work right.
Old 03-24-2004, 10:33 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i decided to take my dad's (and my future) TSX out for some high-revving action around the neighborhood. i had 2 friends in the car and one said i had to show him the "manual mode". so i flicked it into sport-shift, and pushed it. i wanted to show my friends how the car's rev limiter shakes it like a real manual tranny car (if you dont shift, it shakes). well, after hitting 5000 rpm, it kept climbing, and climbing, and climbing, until red line, where in self-defence for my engine i shifted. it has never done this before. my guess, and i hope i'm right, is that it did this because i put it directly into sport shift for the 1st time ever in my "TSX driving" history. All other sport-shift usage came after getting out of side streets with the basic Drive gear engaged. When i did put it into SS, it peaked out at about 5,500 rpm. I'm kinda worried, is there a problem? any help appreciated, and thanks in advance.
Here's what you need to do.

1/ Proof read your post.
2/ Take some drivers ed courses.
3/ RTFM
4/ Wait until you've had your license for more than 12 months before driving your dads TSX.
Old 03-24-2004, 10:37 PM
Teh seX

anyone with an auto tsx wanna help the guy out and answer his question?
Old 03-24-2004, 10:43 PM

look it wasnt any sort of driving mishap, only problem is a mechanical one, when the limiter was supposed to "limit", it didn't. As for reading the manual, sure will. I mean I don't want to seem like the immature teen, I'm asking this out of a mechanical worry, I know I did nothing wrong. I've driven the car many, many times, and this has never happend before. Sorry for being like this it's just that I'm a little worried right now. As for the sarcasm it's not appreciated, but I'll deal with it. Anyway if you can just understand that I wasn't doing any over the top crazy manuevering of sorts. Again sorry for being so aggressive, once more I am a tad bit paranoid. Thanks again for any sort of news, which would be highly appreciated.
(P.S. I've had my license for about 6 months now, so I'm not illegial)
Old 03-24-2004, 11:05 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

You need to do #1 first, thats proof read your origional post because it doesnt make sense. First you say you reved to redline in SSmode, then you say it wouldnt go past 5000 in ss mode. SO which is it? I assume you meant to say that when not in SS mode it shift before 5000, and in ss mode it doesnt...and lets you go to redline? If thats the case, then let me help you (although you really need to do some reading on how to drive a car, and how a transmission works).

Your automatic tranmission will AUTOMATICALLY shift for you. Thats its job. Just when that happens depends on how hard you hit the gas. It will try and figure out what youa re doing and shift when it thinks it should. So if you hit the gas hard, it will probably rev to 5500 or so and then shift. When driving normally it will probably shift at 3000. This is NOT a rev limiter. Its your trasmission shifting.

Now if you switch to SS mode, you are basically telling the tranny not to shift for you. So YOU need to tell it when to shift. If you dont shift yourself, its just going to keep revving higher and higher. Eventually it will hit a rev limiter which will cut fuel. This happens PAST the redline, at about 7400 rpms. So you never hit the rev limiter, although you came close.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:16 PM

ok, fdl, thanks soooo much for the insightful info. i was always under the assumption that the rev-limiter was at 5,500 rpm. yea, i know a pretty good amount about engines, trannies, cars in general, but the car (in SS) peaks out at 5,500 rpm whenever i drive it. however, on this ocassion, i flat out put it into SS and gunned it, obviously not giving the tranny time to think of my actions. see what im confused about is how the car didn't peak at 5,500 rpm, like it usually does with me. (again, i always drive about 2-3 minutes minimum before engaging SS. Again, fdl, thanks for taking that crap of a 1st message and giving me some insight, really helped calm me down. im just curious, again, as to why it didn't do its normal peak-out @5,500 rpm. thanx
Old 03-24-2004, 11:30 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

i know a pretty good amount about engines, trannies, cars in general, but the car (in SS) peaks out at 5,500 rpm whenever i drive it.
I drive a MT but after 3 posts I still don't understand what you are saying. What peaks at 5500rpm? There is no rev limiter, the fuel cutoff is 7400rpm.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:32 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

The only time the car will "peak" at 5500 rpm is when you are NOT in SS mode. In SS mode it will let you rev right to redline (and a little past). In regular AT mode, it may peak at 5500 though (in other words, it will shift at 5500).

If you are 100% sure you are in SS mode, and you get to 5500 and you get fuel cutoff, then there is something wrong. But if you get to 5500 and the car shifts to the next gear, its normal...it just means you are in regular automatic mode.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:36 PM

ok... ill try to make it crystal clear...

when i do drive the car, i like to hear loud high rpms every once in a while, i acheive this by poking it into SS, and not shifting. However, usually in 1st gear the car stops its acceleration at 5500 rpm, and jerks until shifted. remember that i have never flat out pushed it on the 1st acceleration during the driving run. this time i did, and it passed 5500 rpm on the acceleration.
so my prediction is that this happend because i started out so aggressively, that the cpu thought , ok be aggressive. all other times, i drove conservatively for about 2-3 minutes, then tried my hand at some SS. point being, this was the 1st time i really pushed it in SS. all other times, my 1st gear acceleration peaked out at 5500. just curious. thanks for the help
Old 03-24-2004, 11:39 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

However, usually in 1st gear the car stops its acceleration at 5500 rpm, and jerks until shifted
That doesn't sound right for SS (never tried it though). I hope you're mistaken, or something is wrong if you car can't get over 5500rpm.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:40 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 03-24-2004, 11:42 PM

ok, well the good thing is that it did this time. now that you guys have enlightend me on the 5AT not having its own rev limiter, i feel much better. So yeah, I'll see what happens next time. but it's good to know that it's normal (unless it DOES have a rev-limiter @5500 rpm).JK, anyway, thank you so much fdl and xizor for helping a slightly panicking 16.5 year old. many thanks.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:42 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

The car probably jerks at 5500 because you are letting off the gas a bit. The car will lurch and jerk if you are on and off the gas at rpms that high, especiially in first gear.

But if you are for sure on the gas, it should rev freely all the way to redline. If not, there is a problem.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:47 PM

fdl im not the craziest of drivers so i think you're right. this time i knew i had my foot down all the way, and it hit redline. other times i may have been trying not to get to crazy. you know more than i, and your insight makes PLENTY of sense. thanks again, can't say that enough can i? its just that i was involved in an accident when some asshole hit and ran me, so any sort of car trouble i cause will get me very very paranoid and freaked out. hope you understand, completly off topic but maybe explains my crazy concerns.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
I can't say for sure, but if the car was cold, most DOHC VTEC motors have a limiter to prevent you from reving the piss out of a cold engine. This usually kicks in around the VTEC crossover and on the TSX this is 6000 RPM.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
gocubsgo,

Just to reassure yourself, put it in sportshift mode, then in first gear, just accelerate evenly (don't punch it) until the revs build to 7000 (don't pump the accelerator). You'll see that there is no rev-limiter except for the fuel cutoff. It doesn't matter how hard you hit the throttle in SS mode you will still rev up until you either shift manually or you hit the fuel cutoff at 7400 rpm.

And dude, calm down. If you have questions we'll help you out.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:30 AM

when i get the chance i most definatly will. thanks for all the feedback, i can honestly say it helped a lot.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:42 AM
Ayumi Hamasaki

Yeah LoL, wtf were you all talking about? Rev limiter? That'd be gay if you can't hit red line. When I race with mine I always use the sport shift and take it all the way up to about 7,000 rpms. And no, the Sport shift doesn't shift automatically, some do that, but this one doesn't. I think it's cool that way, it gives you a more manual type of feel because you have full control over the power.l

Wess
Old 03-25-2004, 12:48 AM
Ayumi Hamasaki

ok... ill try to make it crystal clear...

when i do drive the car, i like to hear loud high rpms every once in a while, i acheive this by poking it into SS, and not shifting. However, usually in 1st gear the car stops its acceleration at 5500 rpm, and jerks until shifted. remember that i have never flat out pushed it on the 1st acceleration during the driving run. this time i did, and it passed 5500 rpm on the acceleration.
so my prediction is that this happend because i started out so aggressively, that the cpu thought , ok be aggressive. all other times, i drove conservatively for about 2-3 minutes, then tried my hand at some SS. point being, this was the 1st time i really pushed it in SS. all other times, my 1st gear acceleration peaked out at 5500. just curious. thanks for the help
Umm...that doesn't make sense. The SS is manual dude, in a manual car there is no peak 5500 you either shift or you hit red line. One day I forgot to shift out of first(used to Automatic) and I was crusing along at 45 miles per hour in 1st gear at about 7000 rpms and that wasn't on purpose lol. So it shouldn't jerk at 5000 RPMS, YOU control the power of the car, that's why most people prefer a manual. Funner and more performance.

Wess
Old 03-25-2004, 01:08 AM
Racer

u should not be feeling the car jerk unless u are letting go of the gas at high rpms. the fuel cut off, is 7 thousand something. i forget.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Colin has a good point, my S2000 has a lower rev limiter when the engine is cool... and the car will "Jerk" because your momentum has you going forward at the instance you lose power (fuel cut off). Otherwise, what fdl said.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:35 AM
Race Director

Received 627 Likes on 505 Posts
Juts like the rev limiter cuts off the fuel telling you "you idiot, you've gone too far" many new high end cars (BMW 5 series) have a lower engine rev limit when the engine is cold. On the 5 series, there's a moveable marker on the outter ring of the tach that moves while the engine is warming up. Right after start up the mark is around 4K RPM and then as the engine warms up the marker (and rev limit) move up to the red line. Other than never changing the oil, redlining a cold engine is about the most destructive thing you can do.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:30 AM
Suzuka Master

i decided to take my dad's (and my future) TSX out for some high-revving action around the neighborhood.....
Wow. I'm glad you got your question answered, but have you told your dad this story?
Old 03-25-2004, 12:24 PM
Racer

Originally posted by biker
............redlining a cold engine is about the most destructive thing you can do.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:27 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

I always cringe when I see people revving the hell out of their idling cars to warm them up.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:52 PM
6th Gear

I think the moral of the story is that 16.5 year olds shouldn't be blastin' their daddies TSX. Wanting to hear a car rev at high RPM's is cool and all but not cool when its not your car.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:23 PM
Cruisin'

I hope you weren't banging your K24 AGAINST the fuel cutoff. Although the concept of 'fuel cutoff' might sound like a safeguard from harmful damage, if abused, your pistons, cams, timing (ignition), etc might have been altered to the point of "knocking." A knocking engine is very bad news...
Old 06-10-2004, 03:53 PM
Just dial 1911

Another reason why you shouldnt have kids. Much less let them drive your car. But nowadays we should blame the dad for not showing his kid how to drive his car.

Also, someone here said they hit 45 in 1st gear in SS. Ummm, yea
Old 06-10-2004, 05:37 PM
Sile

Hey, you have to learn somwhere.
I think his posting\writing is making him seem worse than he really is.
I have an SS and have hit the rev limiter. When you hit it, you will know!
One way to tell, the revs STOP but you are still hitting the gas. If you are at 5500 and you let off in first, the engine is still engaged with the tranny, where the negative g's force
your head into the steering wheel ;]

Another reason why you shouldnt have kids. Much less let them drive your car. But nowadays we should blame the dad for not showing his kid how to drive his car.
Would your dad show you how to hit the rev limiter on his own car?
Old 06-10-2004, 07:13 PM

guys this was long long ago. but beyond that, if you do get this message, i was in a sense of total panic. see i had thought back then that the rev limiter was at 5500 rpm on the 5at (as in the case when in neutral). after asking around why i went past this point when in other times i didnt, i found out it was because i was easing out at that point, and the drive-by-wire throttle made the car jerk back and forth as if i were hitting the top of gear 1. i hope i explained it well. reason for my "hitting the rev limiter" (that i didnt hit at all actually) was because of foot jerking. hope this clears up any stupidity this portrays of me, im not stupid enough to push a car to its limits at nearly 17 and with insurance costs as high as they are. cant afford to pay with extra premium.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:28 PM
04 remembrance

Cute.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:38 PM
Just dial 1911

That "jerking back and fourth" feeling you were getting is the transmission trying to match the engine speed when you take your foot off the gas. If you've ever drove in a manual car, you feel this sensation as well (more so with someone who shifts really slow). The car will lurch foward because your letting your foot off the gas at a higher rpm. Of course, if you do the shifting in one fluid motion, this feeling less severe.

Ok, so I totally know what you did now...

I dont think what you did was stupid, just ignorant. I'll give you props for coming here and learing though.
Old 06-10-2004, 08:18 PM

hahaha, "cute". funny.
anyway good that this is cleared up. yeah you hit it right on the dot, the high revs made any type of throttle push jerk the car. anyway that WAS a pretty long time ago, i dont know how this thread started itself up again. ignorant, yes. have i learned a lession ever since, you bet. thanks
Old 06-10-2004, 10:08 PM
Sile

WOw this post was from march? DIdnt even notice.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:25 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by joerockt
Also, someone here said they hit 45 in 1st gear in SS. Ummm, yea
Can be possible. The gearing in the 5AT's transmition is a lot longer than the 6MT, and that is to make the 5AT more fuuel efficient, and less pollutant.
Old 06-11-2004, 04:08 AM
Instructor

When does fuel get cut off? The engine let me rev up to 7300rpm.
Old 06-11-2004, 04:14 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by TSXEuphoria
When does fuel get cut off? The engine let me rev up to 7300rpm.
that would be the fuel cutoff at 7400

Quick Reply: rev limiter; potential issues