Resale value and cost of maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 01:25 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Resale value and cost of maintenance

This is my first Acura after many years with the Honda Accord and i'm just wondering how the resale values of Acuras are. Are they better or as good as Honda cars? Like the one person said that he wanted to trade in his Tsx for a TL and the Tsx depreciated $6K already for 1 yr? I know that is expected for every new car, but I hope the resale value of the Tsx won't be bad whenever I plan to sell or trade it in 5-11 yrs from now.

Also, for people who have owned Acuras in the past, is Acura's service expensive or just about the same in cost as Honda service is?
Old 01-29-2004, 01:35 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Resale value and cost of maintenance

Originally posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
.....I hope the resale value of the Tsx won't be bad whenever I plan to sell or trade it in 5-11 yrs from now.
Come back and tell us what you get for it in 2015!

If you're keeping the car that long depreciation won't be a factor.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:42 PM
Instructor

If you check edmunds TCO figures, the Acura TSX and the Honda Accord auto's are virtually identical in depreciation and cost to own, both are excellent, even better then the Lexus ES330! That did play quite a factor in my decision....That, and that the TSX was just simply a blast to drive. Dunno about the cost of service, but if the car never breaks down, who cares? ;-)
Old 01-29-2004, 02:04 PM
Burning Brakes

I too had been a long-time Accord owner. I am religous about regular and frequent oil changes and having a service facility perform other maintenance.

Logically, there's no reason for there to be a difference in price for routine maintenance between servicing a Honda Accord and an Acura TSX. Even the USDM Accord shares a fair amount of maintenance componentry and platform with the TSX, along with the JDM and Euro Accord--even though the USDM has the bloated bigger styling.

Nevertheless, one dealer--whom I would avoid like the plague--in the Burlingame, California area has had franchises for both Acura and Honda--and that dealer charges MORE for an Acura 4-cylinder oil change than that of a Honda 4-cylinder oil change. The oil capacities are the same. The oil filters are the same. The oil is the same. The humans who perform the oil changes are the same.

However, the brand label on the car is different. That explains it!

Talk about huff and puff and smoked mirror marketing--there you have it!
Old 01-29-2004, 02:45 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by Brad
I too had been a long-time Accord owner. I am religous about regular and frequent oil changes and having a service facility perform other maintenance.

Logically, there's no reason for there to be a difference in price for routine maintenance between servicing a Honda Accord and an Acura TSX. Even the USDM Accord shares a fair amount of maintenance componentry and platform with the TSX, along with the JDM and Euro Accord--even though the USDM has the bloated bigger styling.

Nevertheless, one dealer--whom I would avoid like the plague--in the Burlingame, California area has had franchises for both Acura and Honda--and that dealer charges MORE for an Acura 4-cylinder oil change than that of a Honda 4-cylinder oil change. The oil capacities are the same. The oil filters are the same. The oil is the same. The humans who perform the oil changes are the same.

However, the brand label on the car is different. That explains it!

Talk about huff and puff and smoked mirror marketing--there you have it!
well, thats good to hear that the price in maintenance is fairly the same, but, too bad about that dealer. too bad too that you couldn't just service the Tsx at the Honda dealer and save some money then.
Old 01-29-2004, 02:52 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'll second Brad's statement. The cost of major service (i.e. the 15K, 30K, and 60K mile) on my 91 Integra is more than the same service on my wife's Civic. We have seperate Honda and Acura dealerships nearby so the Honda dealer will not even change the oil on the Acura.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:18 PM
Racer

For 10 years, TSX will be selling at same price as fully loaded Mazda6 for 10 years IMO. TSX (Acura) is only better if you are selling it in first 5 years.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:00 PM
The Voice of Reason

Hmmmmm. This is better than I thought!

According to Edmunds.com the trade in value for a 1994 4-door Acura Integra ranges from $4304 to $3126, and $3,848 for a 1994 Accord EX vs. $1333 to $1256 for a 1994 Mazda 626 4-banger. So the difference is significant even at 10 years.

I don't plan to take my TSX back to the Acura dealer if I can avoid it. I supply the Mobil-1 oil and Honda oil filter and my ASE mechanic supplies the garage, lift and labor and charges exactly the same for all our cars. There's no Cappucino machine and no TSX loaner but it's a lot cheaper and since I can wait it saves me a lot of time.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:59 PM
Burning Brakes

In that past few years, I've resorted to taking my cars to a local independent service facility rather than franchised dealers.

I stopped going to my local Honda dealer when the service manager started trying to push extra service add-ons that were not part of recommended maintenance. I could see that he was singing for commissions.

I like giving my business to local independent service shops over dealer franchises and certainly NOT chain store service centers. If you can find a good and reputable one, they can be worth it. A good independent service shop should have current access to all Honda/Acura service bulletins, and an honest one will refer you to your Honda/Acura dealer if they find something warranty-related that the dealer should address.