Removing a interior trim piece!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 11:57 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Removing a interior trim piece!

Hey guys,

I'm not sure if anyone would know the answer to this question or not, but I'm in the process of having Acura replace the heated seat switch light for me. Anyway, according to the Tech at Acura, he cannot remove the trim piece, and in attempting to, he cracked it.

So, Acura is ordering the new trim piece ($123.41), and the service advisor informed me that the tech is going to have to "DRILL OUT" the current trim piece, replace the bulbs, then install the new piece.

Here's my question - HOW are they going to drill out the current trim piece? If they "drill it out", will they be able to properly install the new trim piece?

Anyway, I'm having all 6 bulbs replaced to prevent this from happening again anytime soon!

Does anyone know if the gear shifter bulbs require this trim piece being removed?

Thanks guys!
Old 12-27-2010, 06:52 PM
Almost Doctor

I'm not really sure why they can't remove the trim properly. It is only fastened with clips. I would seriously doubt their abilities to do anything if they can't properly remove a clip fastened trim piece. Anyways, if they said they were going to "drill it out", they are probably going to drill the clips. However, I'd be pretty surprised if they don't damage the console and clip fasteners in the process. When it's all said and done, I'd make sure everything is nice and tight and doesn't rattle. Else, I'd push to have the whole console replaced.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:35 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by huludicidal
I'm not really sure why they can't remove the trim properly. It is only fastened with clips. I would seriously doubt their abilities to do anything if they can't properly remove a clip fastened trim piece. Anyways, if they said they were going to "drill it out", they are probably going to drill the clips. However, I'd be pretty surprised if they don't damage the console and clip fasteners in the process. When it's all said and done, I'd make sure everything is nice and tight and doesn't rattle. Else, I'd push to have the whole console replaced.
That's kind of what I was thinking. How the heck would they fasten the trim piece down if they have to drill out the current clips? I would think that by doing that, they would ruin the slot that the clips go into. I will definitely have to talk to them before they do this!
Old 12-28-2010, 10:08 AM
Almost Doctor

Well, the console trim has the male side of the clips and the console has the female side I refer to as clip fasteners. If they are doing any drilling, it would be to destroy the male side of the clips and thus releasing the trim piece. However, I expect the female side to be damaged in the process.