Remote Start Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 02:28 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Start Questions

Thinking about getting remote start for my car and I wanted to know if you lose some of the features that you have on the factory keypad. Like opening the trunk, or automatically winding down your windows if you depress the unlock button for a few seconds.

Will I have to have both KeyPads on my keywring?
Old 09-24-2004, 02:51 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Most aftermarket keypads for remote starters/alarms already have the trunk release button so that won't be a problem. As for the auto window down function, thats a great questiion
Old 09-24-2004, 03:15 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I believe that the window down feature also works if you hold the key to the unlock position in the door.

If this is correct, then you can keep the feature, but you will need to use a dedicated output for it, and you will need to hit that button AFTER you press unlock.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:21 PM
Quattro in.....

I have an aftermarket alarm and the new remote is able to do everything the OEM one did. I forgot how much more it was but I can now also close the windows with the new remote.

Edit: So I don't need to use the OEM remote.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by VTECLuvaLuva
Thinking about getting remote start for my car and I wanted to know if you lose some of the features that you have on the factory keypad. Like opening the trunk, or automatically winding down your windows if you depress the unlock button for a few seconds.

Will I have to have both KeyPads on my keywring?
how much does it cost ?
I am thinking of getting block head heater instead. (~US$130 installed)
Old 09-24-2004, 06:03 PM
VP Electricity

Remote starts cost more than block heaters.

One is not substitute for the other, BTW.
Old 09-26-2004, 02:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Viking
I have an aftermarket alarm and the new remote is able to do everything the OEM one did. I forgot how much more it was but I can now also close the windows with the new remote.

Edit: So I don't need to use the OEM remote.
Does the alarm system that you have also have remote start? If so, what is the name of it. I haven't priced any systems yet. I just started looking this past Friday.
Old 09-26-2004, 02:07 PM
VP Electricity

Tell us you drive a 5AT, please.

BTW, on a remote start system, installation is the largest component of the cost, not hardware.

You will need a bypass unit to get around the Honda key transponder (and they may need your Valet Key to make it work). This may or may not be in the quotes you look at, but usually not.

Also, on the TSX, the alarm installer has to run wires into the Driver's door to get lock and OE alarm control. There might be an extra charge for that too.

The most common units on the market are the Directed snake brands - Viper/Python/Sidewinder (plus Clifford). You are more likely to get a good installation simply because every installer around knows how to hook them up.

You can often get a lower price on Audiovox but I avoid them. I hear some good things about Compustar, but I have no personal experience with them.

BTW< why isn't this in Audio/Video?
Old 09-26-2004, 05:37 PM
Advanced

best alarm hands down is CompuStar.

I have had vipers, cliffords and they all worthless. with both alarams solen, I had both cars stolen or broken into.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:19 PM
VP Electricity

Originally Posted by hondaloyalist
best alarm hands down is CompuStar.

I have had vipers, cliffords and they all worthless. with both alarams solen, I had both cars stolen or broken into.
1) The brand of alarm you have has jack sh!t to do with how secure you are. Overall system design and installation techniques are 95% of your security. Consumer Reports says install is 80% of your effectiveness, and they're right.

2) Trust me, I can get past a Compustar with a basic, run-of-the-mill install, or with a basic system design. On the other hand, Directed alarms may not have progressed as time goes on, but properly set up and installed, they do what they're supposed to do.

For more info on this, please see https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12879 and https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12878 - both Car Audio and Electronics articles on how to make any alarm more secure.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:40 PM
Instructor

I drive a 5AT. The spot that I was looking to get the remote start done with said that they used a system called Precision Engineering. I'm not sure if they were going to install an alarm with the remote start. Do you need one to get the other?
Old 09-28-2004, 06:41 PM
VP Electricity

No, you don't, but the trend in recent years has been to combine alarms and remote starters.

Personally, with the Immobilizer that the TSX has, and the factory alarm, I don't know if I'd put on an aftermarket alarm UNLESS I was getting aftermarket accessories that I want to protect (wheels, stereo, etc.)

You could just get a keyless/remote start combo... but the remotes on many of those are lame compared to the alarms, unfortunately...
Old 09-28-2004, 06:53 PM
Future Seminole

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im gonna get the autopage rs-850lcd... has the goodies i like: remote start, dual stage shock/window sensor, vibrating remote to alert you, 2 remotes - a two way pager and 4-button remote... looks to be a good alarm, and armed with some interior sirens, maybe one in the trunk, ill be able to hang onto my system
Old 09-28-2004, 07:59 PM
VP Electricity

I just spoke to a buddy of mine about Autopage... they used to be fairly solid (either did some OEM for Alpine or bought from the same place) but he said that the last few years, he's been disappointed in their build quality... said it looked like Crimestopper, which is not a compliment from him.

Let me know what you think... and where it's made (AP used to be all made in Japan, guessing it's not now, but wondering where...)
Old 09-21-2005, 09:47 PM
TSX4EVR

I will be getting a remote starter for my TSX. It will be nice to be able to start it from the 16th floor and have the engine warm by the time I get down there. We can have some rather frosty days here.

The dealership deals with an installer that puts in Compustar remote starters. I'm not looking for any extra security just the starting feature.

I talked to the installer and they will not require the valet key and all of the remote functions will work except the door locking feature. I think that it will unlock all doors with the press of the key instead of just the drivers door on the first press.

He says it has a range of 5000' (more than enough). I can't find the model that the dealer normally has installed on the Compustar website but he said it is a good one.

I have never had a remote starter before and I sure hope that it does not give me any problems with my brand new car. The dealer has reassured me that they work well.

I will be dropping by the installers store tomorrow to learn more about them.

Excited