Relocated my Front License Plate (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 05:42 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX2345
When the straight brackets are installed are installed verticaly or horizontaly?

You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of all your supplies you used prior to installation would you?
I was wondering the same thing. I also wonder why 6 sets are needed...

Luckily I don't have any holes in my bumper
Old 06-01-2006, 11:17 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by gsclifton
Sorry for the delay. It has been hectic lately.

jlukja

Please feel free to update the original links. I just emailed Curls the pics, but maybe he uploaded them somewhere. I rehosted the pics on the new ISP though and the should show up below.
Where did get that bracket?? the metal thing?
Old 06-02-2006, 01:24 AM
Let me help you!

Originally Posted by S14 n Tsx
Where did get that bracket?? the metal thing?
In post #1, he says he got them from Lowe's

I saw various set-ups made. I originally bought stuff for a different set up, but this one seems easier. I already bought some parts, so I'll try to put it together after work. Only camera I have though is my cell phone
Old 06-02-2006, 03:01 AM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan
In post #1, he says he got them from Lowe's

I saw various set-ups made. I originally bought stuff for a different set up, but this one seems easier. I already bought some parts, so I'll try to put it together after work. Only camera I have though is my cell phone
cool. yeah, it might not be the best quality but still try to take detail shots.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:07 PM
ABP TSX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX2345
When the straight brackets are installed are installed verticaly or horizontaly?

You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of all your supplies you used prior to installation would you?

All you need are the "L" brackets and 2 short straight brackets. I had to use the short straight brackets to get the correct orientation for the holes to line up on the plate. The white arrows in the above pictures show the mounting to the "L" brackets. I used the OEM plate bolts to hold everything to the bumper. Hope this explains it well enough.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:46 PM
A DiRTBAG decal on my

Thanks that helps
Old 06-03-2006, 10:47 AM
Crusin Thur in my MR TSX!

Nice Mod! Should that before I did this one. But it works as good as yours.

Old 06-03-2006, 11:02 PM
Banned

Here is my license plate mod. I got the bracket at HOme depot with screws and nuts for a total of $2.50. It took about 45 minutes to install. The result was much better than using the dealer's plate holder.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:37 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
TwistedS2K: Does that angle the plate at all? I think on the 04/05 w/ OEM kit, there isn't a choice (unless the top of the plate sits a few inches in front of the bumper). I like that idea though, although did it involve drilling into the bumper at all?
Old 06-04-2006, 11:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Twisteds2k
Here is my license plate mod. I got the bracket at HOme depot with screws and nuts for a total of $2.50. It took about 45 minutes to install. The result was much better than using the dealer's plate holder.
yeah, twisted, can you please post pictures of how your mod was done? i think i'd like to do it. perhaps a list of materials too.

thank you.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:52 AM
Banned

surprisingly, the 06 does not have the same angle as the 04-05. Mine plate stays perfectly straight. I'll post pics and hard ware used a little later. Just got up from bed
Old 06-04-2006, 01:42 PM
Let me help you!

Originally Posted by Twisteds2k
surprisingly, the 06 does not have the same angle as the 04-05. Mine plate stays perfectly straight. I'll post pics and hard ware used a little later. Just got up from bed
There are various ways to mount it. As I was working on mine, I could see various other ways that I'd do it. I saw one method that would work that would let me decide on how many degrees I'd want it inclined.

The L-bracket could also use some more bending...I think I'll try stepping on some and see how that differs
Old 06-04-2006, 02:14 PM
Banned

These are the tools and equipments needed to complete this project.

I taped the plate and the area on the bumper as well as the bracket to avoid accidental scuffing. As you all know, HOnda paint totally sucks ass.

Pic of the bracket before putting the plate on. You can bend it or twist it however you like. This should give you an idea of how it works

Another side view shot

and another one

Here is the BEFORE plate remova pic

AFTER
Old 06-04-2006, 07:11 PM
Burning Brakes

great how-to pics, twisted. i think i might try to do the same or similar thing. i see that you bought from ron tonkin, so i'm guessing you too are portland area. i got my cgp from dick hannah. was thinking about the abp, but was slightly worried about being too flashy
Old 06-04-2006, 08:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ruffellprefley
great how-to pics, twisted. i think i might try to do the same or similar thing. i see that you bought from ron tonkin, so i'm guessing you too are portland area. i got my cgp from dick hannah. was thinking about the abp, but was slightly worried about being too flashy
hey, what's up my fellow oregonian
Old 06-04-2006, 08:23 PM
Master Graphic Artist

Nice job, it does look a lot better.

I don't even have a plate on my car (best look) and I have yet to get pulled over for it. So until I do... plates stay off.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:24 PM

Looks great! Simple, too.

Although, is that strapping (metal) stiff enough not to bend w/ wind force?

I'm definately looking at doing this mod w/ your method... seems simple enough.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by curls
Looks great! Simple, too.

Although, is that strapping (metal) stiff enough not to bend w/ wind force?

I'm definately looking at doing this mod w/ your method... seems simple enough.
it's pretty stiff. I tested it driving at 90mph without any problem. I would have left my plate off if it wasn't for those anal cops here. Got too many fix it and warnings so I decided to go with this. It looks a little cleaner and no more hassle from the Po-po.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Here is my version of front plate relocation. It is trimmed and tucked inside the front lower grille using the grille as back support. The plate is also contoured to the shape of the grille for a finished look. I will be using the two original plate holder holes for mounting.

Old 06-05-2006, 08:25 AM
Burning Brakes

yo all u guys that are custom mounting your front plates, do like JTso, but you dont have to cut your plate, just bend it. When it covers the bottom of the front bumper it looks like a bucktooth imo. Just bend the bottom of the plate under so it doesnt overlap the front bumper, it'll be a much cleaner look as you can see with JTso's front end (This is actually what I did with my 03 TL, no bucktooth look)
Old 06-05-2006, 09:58 AM
Burning Brakes

don't you have to have the tags showing on the license plate? or have you relocated those as well? if you bend or cut the plate, it takes off the bottom part where the tags should be.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:01 AM
Master Graphic Artist

I always thought tags go on your rear plate?

Everytime I go to the DMV they only give one sticker... that's in Ohio and Illinois.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Tags are no longer required on WA front plate. In fact, they don't even give us tags for the front, but there is a official spot on the upper right hand corner for them. Tags go on the rear plate.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by JTso
Tags are no longer required on WA front plate. In fact, they don't even give us tags for the front, but there is a official spot on the upper right hand corner for them. Tags go on the rear plate.
Same here - Ontario requires tags only on rear plate.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:24 PM
Banned

tags are required here in Oregon. I would love to hide it behind the grill but don't want no hassle from five O so I have to live with my mod
Old 06-05-2006, 11:53 PM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
My holding on to the grill isnt bad, but I would do what twisted2k did but mines pretty much the same, and engineered what 5 mins worth of looking through home depot.

Still looks decent if you say so for 5 mins worth...
Old 06-11-2006, 04:14 PM

i just completely removed my bracket today, no license plate no nothing in the front. One thing i noticed, even b4 i removed it, was that there is a small scuff mark on the bumper from the plastic bracket rubbing up against it.

What do you guys recommended as a 'fix' - scratchx to polish it out a bit??

It's not too noticeable unless you get your face a foot away from it, but still annoying nonetheless.

Also, FYI - bracket was mounted from under the bumper, no holes in bumper.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:30 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
^ exactly what my plastic bracket did to my bumper.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:39 PM
Advanced

to be honest, im not a fan of this mod. I def wish front plates were NOT needed in NY
Old 07-05-2006, 10:53 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by sonnyg80
Also, FYI - bracket was mounted from under the bumper, no holes in bumper.
Just so I'm hearing you right...
You mean that the factory setup does not utilize drilled holes through the bumper, therefore when you go to move the front license plate holder there aren't two empty holes marring your pristine bumper. Am I correct in understanding this? I was about to ask that very question and would be pleased to hear that the factory setup doesn't leave holes in your bumper.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:12 AM
Use all 3 Pedals at once

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What about this:

http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/Autol...ts_PLATE.lasso

Could it be used for the front plate?
Old 07-06-2006, 01:27 AM
Let me help you!

Originally Posted by TSX 3Pedal
What about this:

It'd be cool if it could be set up to hide the plate while the ignition is on. Then when you get pulled over, you could tell the cop "oh my, it fell off? Let's go take a look" lol
Old 07-06-2006, 08:01 AM
2010 6MT non-tech

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lcrazyaznl
Yea ive done something I used the mesh grill in the air dam and used hollow wall screws to place it in the front of the air dam.

lol, i'll be damned if that isn't the university of buffalo's ugly ass lego north campus buildings!!!
Old 07-06-2006, 08:38 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by littleorangeman
You mean that the factory setup does not utilize drilled holes through the bumper, therefore when you go to move the front license plate holder there aren't two empty holes marring your pristine bumper. Am I correct in understanding this? I was about to ask that very question and would be pleased to hear that the factory setup doesn't leave holes in your bumper.

That's what i thought, until i tried to do this mod myself, and found that in addition to the two bolts supporting the lisence plate mounting frame underneath the bumper, there was one screw dead centre into my bumper... so if i relocate my plate, i'll have a pen sized hole sitting there... !#%!@#

Definitely not a happy day for me, so really unless i want to pay for body work, i'll be sporting the stock plate location

It might have to do with the dealer installing this, i don't know if it comes like this from the factory though...
Old 07-06-2006, 08:45 AM
iVTEC no koe

Originally Posted by cibs
That's what i thought, until i tried to do this mod myself, and found that in addition to the two bolts supporting the lisence plate mounting frame underneath the bumper, there was one screw dead centre into my bumper... so if i relocate my plate, i'll have a pen sized hole sitting there... !#%!@#

Definitely not a happy day for me, so really unless i want to pay for body work, i'll be sporting the stock plate location

It might have to do with the dealer installing this, i don't know if it comes like this from the factory though...

You are correct about the dealer part. That center screw-point is strictly optional and apparently designed for those idiots complaining about the their license plate flopping around.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by littleorangeman
That is correct, for most people...

My setup, which many have argued is how the set-up should be, had the bracket bolted from underneath the bumper with NO holes in the bumper. As cibs below and other people have stated, some dealers have utlizied a middle screw that goes straight into the bumper - thus leaving a hole.

If you're thinkin of doing this, just take a peek inbetween ur bumper and license plate bracket. You should be able to tell if it's screwed or not as my bracket was fairly loose and gave a lot of flex when checking for that infamous '3rd screw' in my bumper

Good luck n hope u dont have the screw in ur bumper if u take urs off
Old 07-06-2006, 08:53 AM
iVTEC no koe

Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan
It'd be cool if it could be set up to hide the plate while the ignition is on. Then when you get pulled over, you could tell the cop "oh my, it fell off? Let's go take a look" lol
The main setup is via a button, so technically, so you could run it front and back which will be useful when you're speeding or doing something else
Old 07-06-2006, 10:32 AM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by frescagod
lol, i'll be damned if that isn't the university of buffalo's ugly ass lego north campus buildings!!!

You are correct they are ugly but hey ive seen worse.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:59 PM
10th Gear

I performed this mod with a few minor changes. I bent the L brackets and bought some longer mounting screws, because the factory ones were to short, 6mm metric. I also added a strip of padded tape, 1/2 inch for windows and stuff, to the bottom of the plate so it did not scratch the paint on the bottom. Great mod, $9 from the Depot and about 15 minutes!
Old 08-02-2006, 02:27 PM
Use all 3 Pedals at once

Originally Posted by TSX 3Pedal
What about this:

...or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS1eW3QlaQM

Quick Reply: Relocated my Front License Plate (PICS)