Regarding dark interiors holding heat in the summer sun...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 09:20 PM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Regarding dark interiors holding heat in the summer sun...

It's true, though I find the dash in a dark interior car is the biggest culprit of heatsoak and holds the heat much longer than the seats do. Since all TSXs have a black dash, all will have relatively more interior heat than a car with a non-black dash.

Putting on the A/C will help cool it down since the cold air is routing through the dash area, but of course it takes some time to penetrate the dash, especially while it is radiating heat.

A sunshade put in the windshield helps this issue immensely for those who have a lighter interior color. =)
Old 04-22-2004, 09:31 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dude - Don't complain... my previous ride was a 94 olds cutlass 4 door with blk leather and the AC & passenger side windows did not work... and folks wonder why I finally sprung for the TSX.. Any dark color will soak up rays (aka heat) just be glad you got AC.
Old 04-23-2004, 07:31 AM
Old timer

Uh I'm not complaining, I'm offering input and advice.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:43 AM
Über Geek

Using the key fob to lower all four windows before you get in is a HUGE help.
The sooner the better since you let out more heat.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:58 AM
Registered AssHat

And sun shades are your friends. Parking the car outside for work for two 4 hours stretches (assuming you go out for lunch) not only protects the car's interior from UV and sun damage, but keeps a lot of heat out.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:04 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
The good thing about a black dash is that it doesn't reflect into the windshield as much as a lighter colored dash.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:50 PM
Intermediate

I agree sunshades are a big help, but I can't find one made for the TSX. I've tried some generic shades that either aren't tall enough or they are way too wide.

Anyone have a source for a sunshade made for TSX's?
Old 04-23-2004, 05:43 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Originally posted by Lung Fu Mo Shi
And sun shades are your friends. Parking the car outside for work for two 4 hours stretches (assuming you go out for lunch) not only protects the car's interior from UV and sun damage, but keeps a lot of heat out.
I'm not a glass expert by any means, however, I was under the impression that all auto glass prevented harmful UV rays from entering your interior? Its not like you get a tan when you drive with the windows up and the sun's on your arm/leg/etc...

I am not argueing that the sun will fade the interior over time, just curious about the UV thing if any one knows.
Old 04-24-2004, 03:22 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by acuraaddict
I agree sunshades are a big help, but I can't find one made for the TSX. I've tried some generic shades that either aren't tall enough or they are way too wide.

Anyone have a source for a sunshade made for TSX's?
this isn't a sunshade made particularly for the TSX, but it's a very versatile shade that I've used in my civic and my roommates older accord. It's called MagicShade. It is a TWO-piece model that is basically shaped like two rounded rectangles. Since it is in two pieces (you have to find a 2 piece model, not a 1 piece), it can "expand and contract" to fit your car. The jumbo, if the info I found on the web is correct, is 28" x 31" for each piece (71cm x 78.5cm). I bought the magic shade at walmart (gasp), for maybe $8. Below is a link to the manufacturer's website.

http://www.axius.com/html/products/s...des_fabric.htm

Kev

ps: the best thing is the instructions on how to fold the crazy things. my favorite line is about folding it like a taco. everyone i tell that to when they are folding the thing looks at me like i'm psycho.
Old 04-24-2004, 09:27 AM
WOOT!

Originally posted by Tireguy
I'm not a glass expert by any means, however, I was under the impression that all auto glass prevented harmful UV rays from entering your interior? Its not like you get a tan when you drive with the windows up and the sun's on your arm/leg/etc...

I am not argueing that the sun will fade the interior over time, just curious about the UV thing if any one knows.

driver's tan, my friend. driver's tan. that's when your left arm is darker than your right. my last job had me driving a lot (4-6hrs/day) and it was quite noticable....finally started wearing long sleave shirts.

now i can't say that's for ALL cars. just know that it was the case for my 93 concorde. but i got my tsx 4/22 (happy belated bday to my car!!! man. it's been a year already? <sigh>)....but by then my arm was darker than the right, so i'm not sure if the newer window types will do the same thing.
Old 04-24-2004, 09:57 AM
Advanced

um, don't all cars have black dash? or close to it
Old 04-24-2004, 11:54 AM
Race Director

Just buy one of those sunshades for the dashboard. I've put them before in my old Accord that had a tan interior, but it was cloth. I put it cause the sun especially during the summer will hurt the dash and make the color fade.
Old 04-24-2004, 11:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by ange1
um, don't all cars have black dash? or close to it
lots of cars have light tan or light gray dashes. my mom's truck has a really light tan dash, and my aunt's has really light gray.
Old 04-24-2004, 01:48 PM
Advanced

i took the sun visor from my 911 and it fits in the tsx perfect cuts it down 20 degrees
Old 04-24-2004, 07:30 PM
Advanced

Actually I found my 94 Saturn was a lot hotter in the summer with a dark gray interior than the TSX with ebony is.
Old 04-25-2004, 12:41 AM
Pro

Originally posted by acuraaddict
Most Hondas, including the TSX, have tall windshields (for passenger cars). When I had a Civic, I got a cardboard one made for trucks and cut off the sides to fit. I'll probably do the same for the TSX when the weather gets warmer.
Old 04-25-2004, 01:53 AM
Racer

I have a sun shade for the TSX that fits almost perfectly. There's probably a combined inch of exposed windshield total on either side of it, but that's pretty much it. It was a christmas gift, I'll try to find out the manufacturer and post about it tommorrow.
Old 04-25-2004, 04:58 PM
Don't listen to me.

Originally posted by binabink
driver's tan, my friend. driver's tan. that's when your left arm is darker than your right. my last job had me driving a lot (4-6hrs/day) and it was quite noticable....finally started wearing long sleave shirts.
You should only get drivers tan if you roll the windows down. Will someone with more physics experience chime in. What I remember from my high school physics class is a little sketchy.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:01 PM
Advanced

looking for windshield sunshade for tsx

I've searched but have not found a definitive answer.

Anyone have any suggestions on a sunshade for the windshield that fits the TSX's tall window?

Acura has one on their estore site, has anyone tried that? There's also a seller on ebay that has a custom fit sunshade. Link for Sunshade on ebay

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2005, 08:23 PM
Intermediate

Covercraft makes one that is a custom fit. Do a google search for covercraft USV 100 or check covercraft.com for a list of dealers.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:25 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by acuraaddict_RENAMED
Covercraft makes one that is a custom fit. Do a google search for covercraft USV 100 or check covercraft.com for a list of dealers.

Couldn't agree more, Covercraft UVS100 Sun Shield, goes for $40 - $50 but is custom fit for each car, Just got mine about 2 weeks ago, you can really tell the difference between this one and a generic one that cost $10. I highly reccomend it.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RadYOacTVe
I've searched but have not found a definitive answer.

Anyone have any suggestions on a sunshade for the windshield that fits the TSX's tall window?

Acura has one on their estore site, has anyone tried that? There's also a seller on ebay that has a custom fit sunshade. Link for Sunshade on ebay

Thanks!
...floridian hating the sun in the dead of winter and my ballz are freeezing off