Reg Blind Spot mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 01:00 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reg Blind Spot mirrors

Hi All,

I am planning to get Blind Spot mirrors for my TSX and not sure whether the heated mirrors cause any problems with these ??

Any recommendations pls ..

I checked few in Advanced auto parts which are about couple of dollars..Will these stick properly when i turn on heating for mirrors during winter ??

Thanks
Mars
Old 07-18-2007, 02:32 PM
Cruisin'

I use my mirror heaters all the time and have blind spot mirrors. I haven't had a problem with them at all.

I live for blind spot mirrors. I'm 4'10.5", and I have a very hard time looking over my shoulder to see my blind spots, so I have a hard time driving without them.

I had the same concern as you when I put them on, but I figured I didn't care and would see what would happen. I've had my TSX going on 2.5 years now...and put my blind spot mirrors on when I bought the car!

Edit - Also, I've let my mirror heaters on by accident for quite some time too, the mirror heating/freezing never has impacted the blind spot mirror adhesive.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Renae
I use my mirror heaters all the time and have blind spot mirrors. I haven't had a problem with them at all.

I live for blind spot mirrors. I'm 4'10.5", and I have a very hard time looking over my shoulder to see my blind spots, so I have a hard time driving without them.

I had the same concern as you when I put them on, but I figured I didn't care and would see what would happen. I've had my TSX going on 2.5 years now...and put my blind spot mirrors on when I bought the car!

Edit - Also, I've let my mirror heaters on by accident for quite some time too, the mirror heating/freezing never has impacted the blind spot mirror adhesive.
if you are looking over your shoulder to check for blind spots then you are not checking your blind spots right. The way you are safely suppose to do it is to lean you body forward and use your mirror, thats why is there.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:56 PM
I Quit

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
the heat in the mirrors doesn't get hot enough to do anything to the adhesive. The heated mirrors really just get warm enough to get rid of fogging. Example, if you have ice on your mirrors then you'll be waiting a long time for it to thaw. That being said, you should not have an issue with the adhesive backing.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:02 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by itsme27
if you are looking over your shoulder to check for blind spots then you are not checking your blind spots right. The way you are safely suppose to do it is to lean you body forward and use your mirror, thats why is there.
Dumb idiots in driving school never informed me of that. They always told me to look over my shoulder, which alwayd did seem sort of unsafe.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:05 AM
Littering and.....

I got this from car talk. It takes a little getting used to, but works pretty well. Avoiding the Blind Spot
Old 07-19-2007, 08:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by itsme27

Yup, that is what I do too, just lean forward while looking at the mirror
Old 07-19-2007, 09:00 AM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by slobeatz
I got this from car talk. It takes a little getting used to, but works pretty well. Avoiding the Blind Spot

This is how I do it...works great!! Haven't "lost sight" of a car yet. My
Old 07-19-2007, 10:04 AM
Yes it is!

I always take a quick glance over my shoulder, and was taught to do so in driving school and the two defensive driving classes I've taken.

Gives me peace of mind to have have direct visual confirmation the lane is clear.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:12 AM
Banned

I was always taught to look back and it does give me a peace of mind as Deity said.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:41 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by gostop
I was always taught to look back and it does give me a peace of mind as Deity said.
Im sure you'll have piece of mind as your slamming to the back of a car because your reaction time is reduced when your turning your body to look over your shoulder, as opposed to just leaning forward and using the mirrors how they were designed to be used. I just think its unsafe, to look over your shoulder, especially when you are in a moving vehicle traveling at fast speeds.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:55 AM
Banned

Well I would be careful enough not to be so close to the car in front of me. Obviously..
Old 07-19-2007, 12:45 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Driving school here teaches you to look over your shoulder. In fact, I was taught to lean forward and twist a little to look over my right shoulder when changing to the right lane. The right side-view mirror isn't required (we had one mercedez benz that lacked it).

Leaning forward and looking in your mirror doesn't help when someone two lanes over is switching to the lane you want to move over to. In fact, that might be the reason why I tend to see alot of cars almost hitting each other when they both attempt a lane change. Leaning forward only lets you see a little bit of your blind spot, while looking over your shoulder eliminates any doubt as to what the car 2 lanes over is doing.

Anyone who looks over the shoulder for more than 1 second is dumb. Anyone who only uses their mirror is dumb too. Look over your shoulders for just a second to analyze your blind spot!

By the way, does anyone remember the acronym they taught in driving school? Mirror, signal, shoulder, mirror....something like that.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:29 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
I have the small rectangle shaped mirrors on my TL
Since I put them on- now its just a check to the side- confirm clear and go

if its not in the blind spot mirror- its not important!
Makes for fast lane change in emergency
Old 07-27-2007, 09:22 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm all for shoulder-checking when changing lanes. In addition to what was mentioned above, it is only when you shoulder-check that you can spot cars from TWO lanes away from you changing to the same lane as you are about to. Often, in Toronto anyway, people don't signal. By shoulder checking, I can usually "sense" that such a situation is about to occur and I think I've avoided several sideswipes in the past 3 years.

However, I agree the shoulder check has to be lightning-quick. When I was a young driver, I was both driving too fast and taking too long to shoulder check. Ended up locking up my brakes and rear-ending another car. Luckily no damage to either vehicle or their passengers...
Old 07-27-2007, 10:45 PM
Registered Car Nut

The other thing is that most people have their mirrors set wrong. you shouldn't see your car in the mirror, giving you more angle covered with the mirror...