Recent Owners: Will You Regret Not Waiting for the New '04 TL?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 04:45 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another question about regrets

It sounds like $1000 off MSRP is becoming more common. Anyone regret buying their TSX so soon, and so close to MSRP? The TSX is worth every penny, but if I knew I coulda had another $500 off for waiting a few months, I might have done it. I love it that I'm still one of the only TSXs on the street, so I wouldn't call it regret, but I could sure use that cash for a new BBQ in the back yard
Old 07-11-2003, 06:53 PM
ySL
Advanced

It seems to me that the 6-speed TSX owners are more comfortable with their decision because generally the stick shift drivers are more liklier to be car enthusiasts and the TSX is indeed a great compact car especially with the manuel transmission.

But I think most of the auto drivers are in it more for the TSX's looks, appeal and comfort.

With that said, extra luxury is awlays more appealing so I really can't see the average car shopper passing up the new TL over the TSX if they have the extra money to spend. I have a feeling the TSX is gonna be completely overlooked when the new TL comes out.

Picking out the right Acura used to be so simple: either you wanted the sedan (TL) or the coupe (CL), and then the MDX and RSX were there to meet more specific needs.
Old 07-11-2003, 07:27 PM
Bound for Europe

Re: Regrets?

Originally posted by LeMasseHammer
(I have yet to open my sunroof, and wish I coulda opted for the cash instead of the feature -- same goes for heated seats). But the TSX is one of the few cars that seems to understand people like me -- I really don't care if my passenger has to manually adjust their seat:P They'll enjoy the sweet ride just the same.
I totally agree, except I the sunroof.

I'd like a $350 credit for my heated seats, and yes, the passenger can :'( me a river if they don't like their manual seat. They're lucky to be in a car driven by such a good driver in the first place
Old 07-11-2003, 09:43 PM
More On

Originally posted by ySL
.....But I think most of the auto drivers are in it more for the TSX's looks, appeal and comfort.

With that said, extra luxury is always more appealing so I really can't see the average car shopper passing up the new TL over the TSX if they have the extra money to spend. I have a feeling the TSX is gonna be completely overlooked when the new TL comes out.....
Gotta disagree with you here, Yves. (I assume that of course ySL means Yves Saint Laurent, right?) I'm an AT TSX guy who couldn't wait to get rid of my TL(-S) to get the TSX, and it was all about handling, road feel, and "car feel." And the new TL is gonna have a tough time winning me away.

But I love your posts just the same.......
Old 07-12-2003, 09:26 AM
TSX Lover

Originally posted by larchmont
all about handling, road feel, and "car feel." And the new TL is gonna have a tough time winning me away.
I am very excited by the 04' TL, but I do agree with that statement. If it doesn't feel like a slightly bigger TSX (little softer ride would be OK, but just a little) I am not buying it.
Old 07-12-2003, 10:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by heymista
I bought mine yesterday. I had a 2002 TL-S that was highly problematic. <snip>. For Acuras sake, I hope the correct the build quality issues of the TL with the new 2004. It will be a few years before I try another American built car- sad but true!
I didn't know that the TL-S was made in the USA. I've owned two US-made Accords, and their reliability and quality has been outstanding--as delivered by the factory, with two exceptions. My '90 Accord coupe had a faulty distributor and a faulty inition relay, both very inexpensive parts, but a real hassle when they failed. Both of those Honda replacement parts have been reliable for 7 or 8 years.

Where I ran into other problems, they seem to pertain to either dealer installed or other company installed equipment, like alarms and radios.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a US or Canadian made Honda/Acura as long as it came out of a Honda factory. Honda/Acura had by far the most warranty-related problems with Isuzu-built wagons, the Passport and the SLX. As those models slip off of the reliability measurements or surveys over time, we'll see much improved reliability ratings.
Old 07-12-2003, 11:25 AM
More On

Re: Regrets?

Originally posted by LeMasseHammer
No regrets here. Larch is right, the TSX is the coolest usable/fun size for me......
I almost put this on prballard's "cool" thread because it belongs there too:

That "coolest usable/fun size" saved my ass the other day. Needed to get to NJ for a super-important meeting, allowed plenty of time, but picked the wrong route -- as it turned out, "police activity" was bringing traffic to a standstill. Like, all the cars packed totally like sardines. I managed to weasel my way out of the mess and get to an alternate route, but believe me when I say I needed EVERY INCH. With my TL-S (9" longer, 1.3" wider), I NEVER would've been able to do it, no chance. Might have still been there.
Old 07-12-2003, 03:15 PM
Cruisin'

TSX vs TL '04

I just bought a new TSX today-Artic Blue Pearl w/Navi. Can't believe how it handled. I will not regret passing up th '04 TL because my lease is up in September and the '04 TL is slated for October. Plus, the gas mileage. I have a CL-S and though its powerful, I feel like I'm always at the gas station. When I saw the TSX, I feel in love with its looks and when I heard it was a 4 cylinder, 200 horse, I said, "I have to test-drive this car." What I found was a remarkable car in every way, so I am glad I bought it now rather than waiting. One dealership was out of TSX's and not even a test car available and the other dealer just got them in and has sold a few already. There was only one that came in with Artic Pearl w/ Navi. I grabbed it!
Old 07-12-2003, 09:34 PM
More On

Re: TSX vs TL '04

Originally posted by PaulJ7460
I just bought a new TSX today......There was only one that came in with Artic Pearl w/ Navi. I grabbed it!
Congrats -- and, just your good fortune that a color combo like this was what came in -- great combo in my humble opinion.

And great that you love the car so much already, not that it's a surprise!
Old 07-13-2003, 02:56 PM
TSX Lover

Re: TSX vs TL '04

Originally posted by PaulJ7460
I just bought a new TSX today-Artic Blue Pearl w/Navi. Can't believe how it handled. I will not regret passing up th '04 TL because my lease is up in September and the '04 TL is slated for October. Plus, the gas mileage. I have a CL-S and though its powerful, I feel like I'm always at the gas station. When I saw the TSX, I feel in love with its looks and when I heard it was a 4 cylinder, 200 horse, I said, "I have to test-drive this car." What I found was a remarkable car in every way, so I am glad I bought it now rather than waiting. One dealership was out of TSX's and not even a test car available and the other dealer just got them in and has sold a few already. There was only one that came in with Artic Pearl w/ Navi. I grabbed it!
That is the color combo I am looking at. Did you get the 6MT? If so I am jealous.
Old 07-13-2003, 07:20 PM
Instructor

For me the TSX is the perfect size, more than big enough to carry four adults in complete comfort, and still deliver excellent performance.
The added benefit of it driving like a 6cyl while sipping gas with it's amazing 4cyl coupled with all the features makes it a winner in my book.

I thought about waiting for the 04 TL but the pros and cons were no contest.
pro:
Possible 280 hp
Navi for Canada

con:
$10K more than TSX in Canada
Higher insurance premiums
not that much bigger than a TSX

Just my $.02
Old 07-14-2003, 02:43 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The TSX is A4-sized, whereas the TL will be A6-sized. If you've driven both the A4 and the A6, you know that neither car will drive the other out of business. The TSX and the A4 are for people who want compact sports sedans. The TL and the A6 are for people who want more power, more luxury, more room, softer ride, and are not so particular about handling prowess. The TL 6-speed sounds like it will be the same idea as the Accord 6MT coupe: much sportier than the automatic, but made in low volumes for car nuts like us.