Receiver Bicycle Carrier

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 01:55 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Receiver Bicycle Carrier

Has anyone found a receiver hitch for the TSX that will allow for a bicycle carrier to be mounted to it? I'm wondering if one from an Accord would work, or if you have any other suggestions. Please let me know!
Old 03-23-2005, 02:57 PM
Older. Wiser. Faster.

Unhappy Receiver hitch

I've looked all over and have not been able to find one. I have the hitch from my '00 Accord coupe and it won't work on the TSX (anyone know someone who needs an Accord hitch?). I hope someone comes up with one - my bike rack is just gathering dust!
Old 05-05-2005, 09:11 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

I take it nobody has had luck with this. I guess I'll have to take the roof rack plunge
Old 05-05-2005, 11:23 PM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by jcg878
I take it nobody has had luck with this. I guess I'll have to take the roof rack plunge
you will probably spend a bit more money, but I think a roof rack is way more versatile and i really dont know if I am down with putting a trailer hitch on the back of the tsx...it would have to be pretty hidden. but i do like the easy of attaching it i think there is less of a chance scratching the car....ok fine maybe i want a trailer hitch too
Old 05-06-2005, 09:58 AM
Cruisin'

I ended up going for a Yakima roof rack system. I've had several yakimas on other vehicles, and since there is no receiver hitch available, I had to do it. Got my setup off of ebay and pieced it together, pretty good deals out there on the internet.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:10 PM
1st Gear

I've been looking a receiver hitch also. I emailed info@hitch-web.com for information and here's their response:

We need someone interested who is near Eau Claire Wisconsin to contact Mark
Dupey at Curt Mfg 877-287-8634
They need a car to model from.
Just talked to them last week..

If someone is in the area, getting a good hitch would be great.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 07-15-2005, 06:54 AM
Instructor

I had no idea a hitch wasn't available! I had planned to get one for our new TSX to carry bikes. I already own a Sportworks Hitch rack and you cannot beat their rack. I wouldn't use a roof rack if they were free personally. They look cool but I hve seen one fail and fly off the roof of a car at 80 mph and others scratch the bike and the car.

The Sportworks company was just bought by Thule and the rack loads in less than 10 seconds and never touches the frame (Touches tires) or the car.

Old 07-15-2005, 08:32 AM
CG is the place to be...

How about a trunk mount? Thule has two that fit the TSX (i double checked the fitment guide). They have a two bike and a three bike.

http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/prod...id=8&sku=961XT

I just bought a new bike yesterday and will be looking to get one of these soon as the best bike paths are nowhere near me and I need to drive to them.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:38 AM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by knthornt
How about a trunk mount?
i am VERY weary of trunk mounts. I had one on my old car (nissan altima) and the pads definately left marks on the top of the trunk. they were able to buff out mostly, but after a while I am not sure.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:00 AM
CG is the place to be...

Originally Posted by virus7
i am VERY weary of trunk mounts. I had one on my old car (nissan altima) and the pads definately left marks on the top of the trunk. they were able to buff out mostly, but after a while I am not sure.

hmm... makes me wonder now what route i want to go. What brand mount did you have?
Old 07-15-2005, 01:31 PM
Nick

I have a Saris trunk mountable bike rack and I've had it on my TSX, it holds three bikes in the preformed little saddles. IMO it is really a very nice bike rack and it works great and is easily adjustable ...but it did leave some marks for me to work on when I took it off. Now I have it on my old '89 Legend where it works great too and I'm not nearly as concerned about marring the finish of the still perfectly functional 16yo bomb.

On my TSX, the Saris only left marks where the little U clips hold the rack to the edge of the trunk. Those clips are only a thin vinyl coating on metal; after looking at it I thought that putting a little sheet of tougher and slightly thicker plastic in there would prevent the marring problem, I'll try something like UHMW plastic or urethan sheet and I think it will solve the problem for me.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:37 PM
Advanced

I was thinking about making 4 pieces of pad out of one of those synthetic drying cloth you use to dry your car, and put them between my Yakima rubber feet and the roof surface, in the hope of keeping the paint from being damaged. Not sure if this would work, or might create some kind of safety issues....
Old 08-01-2005, 02:37 PM
Instructor

This is the best alternative I have found to date.

http://www.deltacycle.com/transporte...porternav.html
Old 08-02-2005, 09:15 AM
Nick

I guess it might be like chocolate vs vanilla, but after looking at the above, I like my Saris way better http://www.saris.com/products/bones.htm

Old 08-02-2005, 10:46 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TSXey
I guess it might be like chocolate vs vanilla, but after looking at the above, I like my Saris way better http://www.saris.com/products/bones.htm
Yeah, Saris is the best, but the Bones doesn't fit the TSX. I had to sell mine when I got the TSX. The TSX bumper isn't deep enough to offer proper contact with the lower rack pads, which is where the Bones is designed support most of the load. The pads could try to angle off the bumper and damage it on a big bump.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:35 PM
Nick

I see what you mean. But on my Saris, the lower pads can tilt so one way they have a big foot print, but tilted the foot print is quite small sort of like standing on its tip toe but still able to easily support the three bikes I had on it. And that way it fit on the TSX rear bumper.

And since this Spring, I have the Saris on my old Legend Sedan tank. To be able to open and close the trunk with the rack mounted, I had to install it so the lower pads do not even sit on the rear bumper at all; they just bear directly against the vertical section of car body under the trunk lid area, plus the upper pads support some weight too. This has also worked with three bikes no problem opening and closing the trunk even with bikes mounted.

PS: I don't work for nor do I get any commissioin from Saris I just like how adaptable this rack seems to be.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:20 PM
Canuck

for what it's worth, i read somehwere there is a hitch for the accord (tsx) in europe.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:17 AM
Instructor

I wouldn't use a bones or any other trunk rack due to the fact it touches the frame of my bike. I treat my bike like my car and that is why my real preference is the sportworks rack up closer to the top. The rack I posted recently is an alternative that still allows the bike to be mounted by the fork and wheel and is as easy on the paint as any trunk rack can be.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:59 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by narci
for what it's worth, i read somehwere there is a hitch for the accord (tsx) in europe.

There is a hitch for the European Accord. There was a post with pictures of a guy from Australia that had a hitch. I would love to get one for my car but there is nothing available at this time for the TSX.

If anyone knows how to get the hitch that they have from Australia to North America that would be great.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rastaman
There is a hitch for the European Accord. There was a post with pictures of a guy from Australia that had a hitch. I would love to get one for my car but there is nothing available at this time for the TSX.

If anyone knows how to get the hitch that they have from Australia to North America that would be great.
http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/newcars/...=&wheelPartNo=

$700+ for a hitch. Yikes
Old 08-04-2005, 08:31 AM
Instructor

I know there is one in the US for $180 installed from U-Haul. I haven't seen what it looks like yet.

It would be worth also contacting DrawTite, HiddenHitch, and other popular custom hitch makers. I'm sure there are several options for TSX hitches. A good local hitch shop, or even just a good welder, could also probably fashion one that would be really hidden, but it would be expensive.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:51 AM
Instructor

I see what you mean. But on my Saris, the lower pads can tilt so one way they have a big foot print, but tilted the foot print is quite small sort of like standing on its tip toe but still able to easily support the three bikes I had on it. And that way it fit on the TSX rear bumper.

And since this Spring, I have the Saris on my old Legend Sedan tank. To be able to open and close the trunk with the rack mounted, I had to install it so the lower pads do not even sit on the rear bumper at all; they just bear directly against the vertical section of car body under the trunk lid area, plus the upper pads support some weight too. This has also worked with three bikes no problem opening and closing the trunk even with bikes mounted.

PS: I don't work for nor do I get any commissioin from Saris I just like how adaptable this rack seems to be.
I agree that it's an awesome rack -- the best out there. Given that, it's obvious you don't work for them because it's not designed to be used in the way you're using it. I'm sure Saris overbuilt the rack, so you might be ok, but it DOES NOT FIT THE TSX.

Check the instructions here, big box at the top: http://www.saris.com/pdf/805%20bones-11438c.pdf

Saris says, in big letters, it's a bumper-supported rack. The TSX bumper can't support it, thus the TSX isn't in the Bones fit guide. Tilting the pads as you do changes the loads on the bottom of the rack, putting a lot more load on a part not meant to handle any load (the tip of the lower leg), and can lead to failure.

Supporting the rack off the bumper is just dangerous, as you're depending on friction with the paint to support your load. Rain and a bump could compromise it.

My car is too nice and my bike is too nice to risk carrying with a rack that the manufacturer doesn't want on my car. If Saris is telling you they don't want your money if you're putting it on a TSX, then you can believe that it doesn't belong there. I had the same problem with my wife's V70: the bumper's not deep enough for a fit.

Gotta find another solution...
Old 08-04-2005, 09:02 AM
Nick

Thanks for all that good info, waterrockets. I'll reconsider how I'm using the Saris.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:22 AM
Instructor

Thanks for all that good info, waterrockets. I'll reconsider how I'm using the Saris.
You're welcome, and thanks for taking the post for what it is, rather than an attack or something
Old 08-05-2005, 03:13 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by waterrockets
I know there is one in the US for $180 installed from U-Haul. I haven't seen what it looks like yet.

It would be worth also contacting DrawTite, HiddenHitch, and other popular custom hitch makers. I'm sure there are several options for TSX hitches. A good local hitch shop, or even just a good welder, could also probably fashion one that would be really hidden, but it would be expensive.
Thanks for the response.

U-Haul in Canada doesn't make hitches for the TSX and I did call HIddenHitch and some other shop in the USA that is suppose to be the biggest hitch manufacture on the continent and they have nothing. I am tempted to get on from Britain and pay that heavy Pound for it.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:49 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the response.

U-Haul in Canada doesn't make hitches for the TSX and I did call HIddenHitch and some other shop in the USA that is suppose to be the biggest hitch manufacture on the continent and they have nothing. I am tempted to get on from Britain and pay that heavy Pound for it.

I called u-haul and several different hitch dealers including hidden hitch and nothing is availabel for the TSX. I will see if I can get pics of the 04+ USDM Accord hitch and see if it can be made to work.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:23 PM
5th Gear

I just found out from a company that installs hitches that Da'lan out of Massachusetts is currently designing a hitch for the TSX. It will be ready in about 2 months and will probably be a mini-receiver.

However, according to the guy I spoke with, Da'lan requires a stabilizing strap that attaches to your bikes, hitch and part of your car so the hitch doesn't bounce around. (to me, basically, defeating the whole purpose of trying to avoid having something touching the paint of the car.)

Old 08-26-2005, 03:15 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tempest40
I just found out from a company that installs hitches that Da'lan out of Massachusetts is currently designing a hitch for the TSX. It will be ready in about 2 months and will probably be a mini-receiver.

However, according to the guy I spoke with, Da'lan requires a stabilizing strap that attaches to your bikes, hitch and part of your car so the hitch doesn't bounce around. (to me, basically, defeating the whole purpose of trying to avoid having something touching the paint of the car.)

Thanks for the news! I think that those hitch racks that have fork mounts (similar to most roof racks) would be a ton more stable, and you won't need to strap anything.

I'm actually thinking about welding my own hitch rack to fit the mount heads from my Yakima on a receiver hitch. They were a $200 investment, so it would be nice to keep 'em. It could be made with only two square tubes and two round ones, making a right-angle 'Y'. The Yak heads would then camp on the round bars just like on the roof, but sideways.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:01 AM
Older. Wiser. Faster.

Good news - I kept the hitch from my '00 Accord Coupe from U-Haul and I was able to make it fit my TSX. The trunk pans are close enough so that it almost lines up perfectly. I drilled 4 holes under where the spare goes for four 3/8" bolts. I also needed a 2 1/2" muffler clamp. The plastic trim piece under the floor comes off easily, and a small bottle jack makes it easy to support the hitch as you position it. It works fine with my bike rack.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:32 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by horsetrdr
Good news - I kept the hitch from my '00 Accord Coupe from U-Haul and I was able to make it fit my TSX. The trunk pans are close enough so that it almost lines up perfectly. I drilled 4 holes under where the spare goes for four 3/8" bolts. I also needed a 2 1/2" muffler clamp. The plastic trim piece under the floor comes off easily, and a small bottle jack makes it easy to support the hitch as you position it. It works fine with my bike rack.
That is good news! Thanks for the info. Could you post some pics? I'm really interested in seeing how it looks with the rear of the tsx.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:06 PM
Connected

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm so glad I read this before trying to fit my Saris Bones 3. I just bought it tonight and couldn't find Acura listed in the "fit guide." So I did a little searching on here and presto - now I know that it won't fit, so I'll be returning it Monday.

I've been looking at roof options since trunk mounts seem to be causing paint marks on the car... and holy crap... a roof rack runs about $400 (because you need the clips, the locks, the crossbars, the rack itself..." Man.

Cheaper options that work?
Old 04-22-2007, 10:11 AM
Instructor

Drilling holes for the hitch rack..... You would also have to remove the plastic air diffuser in the rear to do it.

If you don't secure it correctly, roof rack can fly off the car at 80MPH.

I put 3M clear protective tape where the roof rack comes in contact with the car. No more scratches.

Also, if you don't have 400 dollars to spend on a rack, (hitch or roof) then get a trunk rack, and put 3M clear tape on where the rack comes into contact with the car. Problem Solved. But I wouldn't recommend the trunk rack....too insecure.....
Old 04-23-2007, 11:33 AM
Advanced

I found a welder that welded a hitch to the car. He is very good at this procedure and has been doing this for years and on many different cars. I am very happy with the results. It makes the car look clean and you don't have the wind drag that roof racks produce. Also, if you are treking on a trail, the mud doesn't fall on your car with a hitch.

Good luck
Old 04-28-2007, 03:25 PM
2nd Gear

any one ever have their bike rack (a nice Thule) stolen off their TSX?I did the other day. Yes it was locked and inside a card only parking garage.