Rear Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 11:05 PM
mlt
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Brakes

So after 80k miles, I was told my rear brakes need to have the pads replaced and possibly the rotors surfaced.

Like some posters, I got a quote of $200+.

My front brakes after 80k and change miles are still labled as "green" while the rear brakes are measured as "red"

Obviously I need to get at a minimum the pads replaced and possibly the rotors re-surfaced or replaced.

I was looking at OEM parts at Delray website

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no

and have a couple of questions...

1.) Based upon the diagram the rear brake pads come as a set?

2.) Of the Pad Sets listed there are two part numbers:

43022-SV4-G22

43022-S84-A50

Is there a difference?

3.) Also based upon the price it seems I could get a better value by getting an after-market set of rotors and pads...

OEM Rear Brake Rotors
Part # 42510-SDA-A00 for $64.15 x2 = $128.30

OEM Rear Brake Pads
Part # 43022-S84-A50 for $46.31

Total = $174.61

Some of the suggested combos are

Rotors- Brembo blanks $54x2=$108

I am guessing the following link would be the right ones?

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...6&autoModClar=

Pads - Hawk Performance Ceramic Pads $67

Pair the Brembo blanks with

Pads - Akebono ProACT Ceramic Pads $46

For rotors I could also go with the Power Slot Power Alloy Rotor

Some other suggestions include using:

Hawk HPS Pads
Centric Rotors
Akebono Street Performance pads
EBC Green Stuff pads

Have a lot of posters purchased from placeforbrakes.com? It seems like they might have better prices than Tirerack for those parts.

Does anyone have other suggestions on places to purchase from the web?

Thanks for the help!
Old 08-13-2010, 10:53 AM
Almost Doctor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd recommend going with the Racingbrake ET300 pads from heeltoeauto.com. They're a great performance pad and the rears will run you ~$50. As for the rotors, I'd go with Duralast (autozone) blanks ~$45/pair. The rotors are high quality and have a 2year unlimited mile warranty. Just like the Brembos though, their hats aren't painted or treated so they will rust and turn orange. You can fix that by using a high-temp caliper paint. IMO, the factory pads are crap so I'd save your money and get a superior formulation.

I buy my stuff from Marcus at heeltoe. He's a great guy that stands behind his products and will offer technical advice as needed. I'd avoid shopping at random webstores to save a few $ because if you have a problem, you have no idea how they will resolve it.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:18 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
What's your budget? How would you say your driving habits are most of the time: Laid back, Spirited, Aggressive, or "I wish this was the Nurburgring I'm driving on"? Reason why I ask is there's no point purchasing rotors and pads made for Aggressive/++ driving if you're a laid back kind of person. If you want bare bones, consider Autozone Duralast rotors and pads. Great warranty and inexpensive.
From people who use them, Racingbrake has positive reviews and is great value for the money. Sure it's a bit more at first for the rotors, but it should last a long time.
I'm currently on Centric rotors and Akebono pads. Still better then OEM in my opinion, but repeated spirited driving stopping performance isn't as good as my prior pads...Hawk Ceramics.
You're gonna get many opinions on this forum. Just my
Old 08-13-2010, 04:44 PM
mlt
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PACman
What's your budget? How would you say your driving habits are most of the time: Laid back, Spirited, Aggressive, or "I wish this was the Nurburgring I'm driving on"? Reason why I ask is there's no point purchasing rotors and pads made for Aggressive/++ driving if you're a laid back kind of person. If you want bare bones, consider Autozone Duralast rotors and pads. Great warranty and inexpensive.
From people who use them, Racingbrake has positive reviews and is great value for the money. Sure it's a bit more at first for the rotors, but it should last a long time.
I'm currently on Centric rotors and Akebono pads. Still better then OEM in my opinion, but repeated spirited driving stopping performance isn't as good as my prior pads...Hawk Ceramics.
You're gonna get many opinions on this forum. Just my
I would say 50% laid back and 50% spirited.

Budget I would guess would be $50-$65 for brake pads. $55-$70 for each rotor.

Even regular OEM pads have lasted me 80k miles, so I'm not looking at street performance for a daily commuter car.

I just don't know what is better than OEM without going crazy.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:12 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by mlt
I just don't know what is better than OEM without going crazy.
There are many aftermarket rotors & pads that are better then OEM in terms of performance. Since you're a 50/50 laid-back/spirited driver, any basic OEM replacement rotor would work; and you can browse tirerack, r1concepts, autozone, etc. Pads do make the difference, but you're driving style is similar to mine .
You should easily find all rotors and pads for you're driving style for under $400, labor excluded.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:55 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I may have asked this before but I don't remember, if I go with something like the EBC greenstuff for the fronts, is there any chance that the pitting of the OEMs will be taken off with a more aggressive pad like the greenstuff...keep in mind I think that the braking on the OEMs is good enough for me, I just hate the shuttering on the highway.

Also no brake noise is my highest priority with the same amount or less of brakepad dust as the OEMs.

Last edited by npolite; 08-15-2010 at 08:59 AM.