Rear brake change - caliper pins

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 02:48 PM
dP-
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rear brake change - caliper pins

I replaced my OEM pads in the rear on my 2005 TSX over the weekend. They had 100,000 KMs on it, and were in dire need of replacing (the outboard pad had worn down to the metal while the inboard had some material left). The retainer pins and caliper were pretty dirty and had to be cleaned (metal brush + Dremel). I checked the caliper pin and it sprung back, although I'm not sure what is classified as good since it seemed to be a bit sticky.

When I put the pad back into the caliper, they didn't just 'fall' into the caliper, rather I had to put some force to get them back in. How does the caliper open to remove the pads from the rotor surface; is it through the spring of the caliper pin?

I'm pondering if I should remove the wheels and relube the caliper pin. Thoughts?
Old 05-04-2010, 04:09 PM
Almost Doctor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The pins don't "spring". What you are feeling is a compressed air bubble trapped behind the pin. When the pin is lubed up it seals the slot and any air inside gives it that spring effect. Typically the rear pads don't fall into place but usually take a little persuasion. You should grease up the tabs where the pads contact the caliper bracket and that will be sufficient. Floating calipers don't have springs to allow them to release, they will always contact the rotor surface a little bit when you release the brake pedal. I wouldn't take it apart again. As long as the pins slide freely, they are doing their job.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:11 PM
dP-
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the clarification on how the pins work.

Looks like I will end up removing the wheels after all then to lube up the caliper brackets.

Originally Posted by huludicidal
The pins don't "spring". What you are feeling is a compressed air bubble trapped behind the pin. When the pin is lubed up it seals the slot and any air inside gives it that spring effect. Typically the rear pads don't fall into place but usually take a little persuasion. You should grease up the tabs where the pads contact the caliper bracket and that will be sufficient. Floating calipers don't have springs to allow them to release, they will always contact the rotor surface a little bit when you release the brake pedal. I wouldn't take it apart again. As long as the pins slide freely, they are doing their job.