Real world handling: TSX vs Accord Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 01:38 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Real world handling: TSX vs Accord Sedan

Caveat: I understand this is an Acura forum.

I'm in the market for either an older TSX or a 7th gen Accord (i4).

After combing through the net about why people like one over the other, the biggest thing that comes to mind is the handling difference. Can anyone who has driven both comment on how significantly 'sharper' handling is in the TSX vs the Accord? Accords I've driven aren't so Buick and Camry like, that I'd think the TSX would be significantly better.

I'm a family man w/ 2 little kiddos so the Accord's space and lower cost of ownership appeals to my practical side. <sigh> Even so, the extra 40 horses, premium interior, Acura name, or even the Japanese VIN aren't enough to tip the scales for me. However, the handling interests me, because I absolutely adore the Del Sol SI I'll be selling off.

I'd love to hear what you guys have to say either way!
Old 02-27-2011, 06:12 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by foofght

After combing through the net about why people like one over the other, the biggest thing that comes to mind is the handling difference. Can anyone who has driven both comment on how significantly 'sharper' handling is in the TSX vs the Accord? Accords I've driven aren't so Buick and Camry like, that I'd think the TSX would be significantly better.

I'm a family man w/ 2 little kiddos so the Accord's space and lower cost of ownership appeals to my practical side. <sigh> Even so, the extra 40 horses, premium interior, Acura name, or even the Japanese VIN aren't enough to tip the scales for me. However, the handling interests me, because I absolutely adore the Del Sol SI I'll be selling off.

I'll confess that I'm not sure which Accord you're interested in (the model years of the 7th generation I mean), but I can tell you this. Within a year or two of buying my 05 TSX, I had the chance to drive my mother in law's V-6 EX Accord (4 door) that was about the same age almost back to back with the TSX. Like you, I was curious about any difference in driving feel. I was surprised at how different the cars handled, and decided in no short order that the TSX was noticeably superior. That said, everyone's butt is different. Aside from what you read here, you really should drive a representative of both cars and decide for yourself. You might prefer the Accord's advantage in interior room, and for $1000 or so, you could always upgrade the suspension to provide a more bias toward handling. The TSX has more standard items, and some you're unlikely to find in a comparable (in age) Accord. Things like the heated seats, HID headlights, 6 CD changer, available NAV (I'm not a fan, but those that have it seem to love it), leather interior, and more. I've owned a number of Honda's (including a couple of Accords), and either way you go, I'm sure you'll enjoy the car.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:16 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
My mom owned 98 accord ex-v6. In 08 she decided she wanted to get a new accord. I took her to her local honda dealer. We first test drove one with the 4 cylinder. It lack many features she had in her 98 so we then test drove the 6 cyl. She ended up with that one. My daughter then became the owner of the 98 accord which at the time had only about 79,000 miles. I also suggest you test drive both cars. I personally like my tsx but that is probably because I prefer manual transmission. My mom's car will be 3 years old the end of March and has less than 20,000 miles. Most of those miles were put on by me.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:18 PM
still plays with cars

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of my other cars is a 91 Corvette ZR-1, and the 06 TSX has better handling overall. Turn-in is sharper even with the factory tires. The ride is soft enough that folks riding along don't complain, but it's still very controlled. My wife might be OK with an Accord but I would not ... YRMV.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:44 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
However, the handling interests me, because I absolutely adore the Del Sol SI I'll be selling off.
While I can't provide the detailed comparison between the Accord and TSX you're debating between, I've got both a TSX (08, 6MT) and a del Sol Si (95, 5MT).. the del Sol is my wife's daily driver, but she's not an ordinary "wife driver"

While you just can't make up for the size and proportions of the del Sol in terms of handling, I will tell you with something as simple as a rear sway bar, the TSX can be a blast to drive through the twisties. The RSB helps reduce the feeling of extra length by reducing the inherent understeer you will experience in either the TSX or the Accord. Our rule is we'll take the del Sol if our destination is about 600 miles or less (I get a little stir crazy with the limited space in the del Sol, but I'm a big guy and get funny looks from people when I step out of the del Sol) and the TSX is reserved for trips longer than that.

Keep in mind that the TSX has a few extras in the suspension over the Accord, and if I'm not mistaken, one of the reasons the TSX was brought to market was to fill a gap that Honda had introduced when they made the Accord bigger and a bit softer ride for the US market in 2003.

In any case, go drive both for yourself.. I don't think you'd be disappointed either way.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:45 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Like everyone else, I would recommend driving both.

Although I've never driven a 7th generation Accord, when I went shopping the first-generation TSXs were noticeably sharper than the new Sonata, Legacy, and S40 that I drove, not to mention sharper than the 9-3 and S60 I drove.

Go try both and see for yourself; the TSX's rear seat, while usable, is probably not the best bet for a family of 4.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:46 PM
Pro

While shopping for my 06 TSX, I also test drove the Accord V6 6MT and the TL 6MT. But I'm not sure which which Accord is the 7th generation, so I'll reserve comment until that gets clarified. I can, however, comment about the part about having two kids, if that's of any big concern. Back in 06, I had a two year old already, and another one on the way. So soon afterwards I had the dreaded rear-facing baby seat behind the passenger seat, and a forward facing seat behind me. Worked fine, but there wasn't much room left back there between the two kid seats. Naturally, the passenger seat had to move forward a bit, but I rarely ever had anyone sitting there anyways. But when needed, my wife still fit in the passenger seat just fine (caveats - she's 5'2" and I'm 5'6"). Fast forward four years, and the kids are six and four, both in forward facing seats which are still pretty large and bulky. Space is really not a problem, although nobody will say that it's spacious back there. My kids really aren't kickers, but if they were, it'd be pretty easy for them to kick the backs of the front seats (and pester the front seat occupants) all the time. (Even so, I made some covers for the seatbacks to protect them.) But even in a car with more legroom, unless it's a stretch limo, I'm sure kids could kick the seatbacks. Just my two bits...
Old 03-07-2011, 12:42 AM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
7th Gen is 03-07 MY. I'd go with the TSX. It's a more responsive suspension, better leather, 370 8spkr audio vs 160watt 6spkr, 17in wheels vs 15/16in depending on the yr., HID's vs halogens, 40 more hp & auto stick with same epa ratings. It's a win/win to me. My mom had an 04 TSX i told her to get when she was trading her 2001 TL-P. She loved it. My Ma had 2 kids. I was 6'1 and my brother 5"10 and we all felt fine in the car on road trips while enjoying the stereo playing my CD's or listening to XM/Sirius stations. I think you'll love that car. If you'd rather have a more plush ride with similar luxury appointments, the 07-08 Accord EX-L 4cyl would be fine too. It's not a bad car either and the 166hp isn't bad either. It will have more room than the TSX and the LED brake lights on the 06-07 really do it justice.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The Accord is perhaps the best handling of the family sedans (along with the Mazda 6 and Altima) so that might be good enough for you.
The TSX ups the sporty factor another notch, to what one might consider an Accord Si or Type-R (it's a Euro R after all).

If space and price are concerns, get the Accord and some suspension mods.
If looks mean anything to you, TSX > Accord by far.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:25 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,520 Likes on 1,186 Posts
Depending on what year you’re looking at. The 2005-2006 Acura TL is about the same price as 2006-2007 TSX and 2007-2008 Honda Accord. You can get the Accord size with the sporty handling very close to the TSX. The TL still looks a lot better than any Accord on the road.

I love my TSX; but, if I saw a Moroccan red pearl w/ taupe TL-S (at a resonable price) I would go for it.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:08 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
You plan on doing any mods? The TSX is good, a couple of mods make it great. You could probably get some pretty good handling with an Accord if you tweak the suspension a little too.

My sister had an LX 7th gen, and I have a TSX. Both are auto. The stock handling is easily sharper for the TSX, but to be honest, if you were to put some suspension mods on the Accord, it would be fun too. Not as fun as a TSX maybe, but I'd have my fun with it regardless.

FWIW, I have a TSX with a-spec suspension, a rear sway bar, and some lightweight rims. The handling is quite simply, divine. Nimble, communicative, direct, well weighted, with a decent ratio (not as quick as I'd want it to be however). For me, its what an accord should feel like...and that might be something to take into consideration as well.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:52 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to say that I have a bit of experience here. I went from an 05 Accord LX 4-cyl to and 04 TSX.

The Accord felt roomier, smoother ride, quieter, but it didn't handle anywhere near as well and performance was way off compared to the TSX. The Accord has a lot more roll and corner plow compared to the TSX.

So, depends... want a bit more comfort, or do you want better performance?
Old 02-26-2012, 10:54 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I own both a 03 V6 accord and a 04 TSX. The TSX handles way better and has a much sportier feel. It is a driver's car. The accord is more of a cruiser, smoother ride and much more space. However I think the TSX's 50 series tires help the handling but make the ride more harsh. Personally I prefer the accord V6 just because it has more torque and room. If it was a 4 cylinder accord it would be a very tough choice. Possibly the TSX just because it looks better.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:33 PM
2nd Gear

I've owned both 03 accord ex-l i4 and 08 tsx.
Let me just say that the tsx handles are much tighter than the accord.
Accord felt alright l, just not as refined as the tsx. Although the best handling
Car I've had was an 02 530i.

Bottom line, If u have driven a tsx u won't like the accords stock suspension.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:18 PM
3rd Gear

I drive an 04 TSX and my parents drive a 7th gen accord and the handling differences are pretty apparent. The TSX has much tighter and responsive handling. A lot of that could be due to the shorter body size, thus giving it less body roll. The easiest way for you to see which best suites you would be to test drive each and use your personal opinion.