Read manual, but still confused about manual A/C

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 05:12 PM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Read manual, but still confused about manual A/C

So here's something I still have a bit of a hard time understanding. I have an 06 navi, and I get that when I hit auto, the hvac system controls the temperature setting that I choose. But when I navigate to the manual controls and make any changes, the auto light shuts off. So if I tell the system to make the fan controls bi-level, the auto light shuts off. Does that mean that the system is no longer maintaining the temperature I have it set at and just blowing outside untreated air through the bi-level vents? On that same note, if I hit "A/C on" and set the temp to 80, what happens?
Old 01-20-2008, 06:24 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was confused about this also when I first bought the car. The system appears to maintain the temperature as best it can with the settings you choose, even with the auto light off. If you hit A/C on and set the temp to 80, I imagine that it will blow hot air out with the A/C running.

I think of the "Auto" light as more of a "Full Auto" light .
Old 01-20-2008, 06:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i hate the factory AC

when i set 72 with fan speed 2, that means I want 72F with fan speed of 2, not any colder or hotter to maintain car's temp at 72
Old 01-20-2008, 11:02 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by n3ok318
i hate the factory AC

when i set 72 with fan speed 2, that means I want 72F with fan speed of 2, not any colder or hotter to maintain car's temp at 72
Well that's exactly my question. It seems that you're saying that with "auto" off, the air will not stay at a constant 72 degrees. This would imply that the "auto" is never really off and is always regulating the interior temp accordingly.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
in full auto, it controls the vents, vent speed, AC compressor and fresh/recirculated air.

in manual, you get to control all of that.

in both modes, the temperature is still maintained at what you set the temperature to be. its just that when you override the "auto controls" for any part of the system listed above, then it is no longer full auto.

but say if you decide to change the vent location, and only the vent location, the other areas of the system are still being controlled by the car.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:02 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by aznboi2424
in full auto, it controls the vents, vent speed, AC compressor and fresh/recirculated air.

in manual, you get to control all of that.

in both modes, the temperature is still maintained at what you set the temperature to be. its just that when you override the "auto controls" for any part of the system listed above, then it is no longer full auto.

but say if you decide to change the vent location, and only the vent location, the other areas of the system are still being controlled by the car.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:31 AM
Racer

I've mentioned this before but has anyone noticed that the "FULL AUTO" light never comes on? Ive tried all the combinations and i can't get it to light.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:55 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The only "combination" that should be required is poking the auto button. Maybe I don't understand what you're trying to do?
Old 01-21-2008, 11:39 AM
Boring Teacher

Here's my question...when I push the auto button, my A/C comes on. Does it stay on the entire time the auto button is lit up or does it go off eventually?? The A/C even cpomes on when I want the temp to be 80. That's why I don't use the auto feature caus I don't want my A/C running all of the time.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:49 AM
Offical Noob

running the A/C with heat is not bad per se as it lowers the humidity so the interior windows stay fog free; the only down side is slightly lower gas mileage.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:19 PM
Team Owner

The A/C stays on in "auto" mode only until the system decides it doesn't need it any more. In "auto" all the functions are controlled automatically. If you make any adjustment after you put the system in "auto" then everything else except for your adjustment will be controlled automatically.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:17 PM
Pro

I bet that even though the A/C light is on during auto control. It probably isn't running constantly, as some of the other posters have already suggested in this thread.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:37 PM
Boring Teacher

Originally Posted by jlukja
The A/C stays on in "auto" mode only until the system decides it doesn't need it any more. In "auto" all the functions are controlled automatically. If you make any adjustment after you put the system in "auto" then everything else except for your adjustment will be controlled automatically.
Ok, so if I put it in auto and set it on 70 then shut the A/C off, the system will turn the fan up and down to maintain the 70 but it will never turn on the A/C?? But, if I leave the A/C on in full auto mode, the compressor will eventually shut itself off when it is no longer needed?? Am I understanding this correctly??
I hate the run the A/C compressor when it's not necessary, hence the reason that I just don't use the auto mode. Maybe I'll start using it if I can fully understand it.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:30 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by spoiledkari
Ok, so if I put it in auto and set it on 70 then shut the A/C off, the system will turn the fan up and down to maintain the 70 but it will never turn on the A/C?? But, if I leave the A/C on in full auto mode, the compressor will eventually shut itself off when it is no longer needed?? Am I understanding this correctly??

Old 01-22-2008, 09:57 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Here's my question...when I push the auto button, my A/C comes on. Does it stay on the entire time the auto button is lit up or does it go off eventually?? The A/C even cpomes on when I want the temp to be 80. That's why I don't use the auto feature caus I don't want my A/C running all of the time.
I don't think the A/C stays on anywhere near all the time on full auto -- it just runs as needed (to regulate temperature in the summer, and humidity in the winter).

Note that Honda A/C in particular should be run at least weekly, even in the winter, because otherwise the internal seals will dry and cause expensive long-term maintenance issues. This is probably true of other makes also, but my impression is that Honda's are especially finicky.

I turn my A/C off sometimes, but usually leave it on auto and just change the temperature.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:02 PM
in the 24th and a half...

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Ok, so if I put it in auto and set it on 70 then shut the A/C off, the system will turn the fan up and down to maintain the 70
Actually, as I understand the HVAC, when the Auto function is off, the system works like a conventional system, that is the selected temperature is the temperature at which air is delivered through the vents. The system in this mode ignores the interior temperature sensors and concentrates on delivering the air at the temperature requested...which may result in an increase/decrease/no change in the interior temperature.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:59 PM
Boring Teacher

Originally Posted by jlukja

Sweet!! Thanks! I'm gonna use the auto feature from now on!
You learn something new everyday!
Old 01-22-2008, 10:22 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DuckDodgers
Actually, as I understand the HVAC, when the Auto function is off, the system works like a conventional system, that is the selected temperature is the temperature at which air is delivered through the vents. The system in this mode ignores the interior temperature sensors and concentrates on delivering the air at the temperature requested...which may result in an increase/decrease/no change in the interior temperature.
This is incorrect. The system will always modulate the temperature of the air coming from the vents so as to get the cabin temperature (as the system perceives it) to be what you've set it to. As far as I know there's no way to cut this feedback out of the loop.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:26 PM
Pro

Man I'm glad I brought this up. The manual is pretty vague in this respect, and it looks like we all don't have a good source to confirm this. To me it seems that when auto if off, the air comes out at the temperature you select regardless of cabin temperature. Anyone have a way to get to the bottom of this?
Old 01-22-2008, 11:28 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
This is incorrect. The system will always modulate the temperature of the air coming from the vents so as to get the cabin temperature (as the system perceives it) to be what you've set it to. As far as I know there's no way to cut this feedback out of the loop.
That sounds reasonable, but where does it say that in the manual? This is the original problem I've been having. I just don't see any sort of confirmation in the literature.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:11 AM
Advanced

The key here is that we have what is called climate control. Climate control implies that there is some type of feedback loop and the HVAC system will try to hold to a certain temperature. The target temperature of the system is the one displayed on the dash. It is NOT the temperature of the air. This means that if you set the car temp to be 72F and its 80F outside, it will keep cooling the car until it reaches 72F. If it dips too far below this, it will actually begin heating until it reaches the target again.

Auto mode seems to decide the fan speed and vent configuration on its own based on your temperature (and maybe even the outside temperature). How it decides is beyond me...notice that it wont turn the fans on high when you first start the car in cold weather so you don't get blasted with cold air.

Manual mode allows you to control fan speed and vent configuration. As near as I can tell it still tries to hold to the target temperature. I find myself setting the temp to max or min when in manual mode so I never have figured out if it's still trying to hold to a target temperature.

I have found that it is best to find a target temperature you like and keep it in auto mode. Use the defrost button when you want to defrost and turn it off when the windows are clear. While it says the system is "on" it just means that it is monitoring the temperature and does not mean that the actual air conditioning is running at all times. Also, keep in mind that just because the AC is on, it doesn't necessarily mean you are cooling the air. It is air "conditioning" not cooling. All in all, throw out everything you used to know about car AC systems and pretend you are a moron that only knows how to set a temperature and you will be better off.

While we're on the oddities of AC systems, remember that you can defog windows fastest by using outside air rather than recirculating the air inside the car...even when it's raining. Notice that our cars will automatically switch to outside air when you hit the defrost button.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:30 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Bigtimebooch
... How it decides is beyond me...notice that it wont turn the fans on high when you first start the car in cold weather so you don't get blasted with cold air. ...
Yes, this is one of my favorite features.

Also, in hot summer months, the A/C starts with recirculate on, and then switches to fresh air only after the car cools off several minutes later. Also very cool.

I leave mine on full auto almost exclusively now, except for occasionally turning off the A/C when I know it's dry and cold outside.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:17 PM
in the 24th and a half...

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
I hate the run the A/C compressor when it's not necessary, hence the reason that I just don't use the auto mode. Maybe I'll start using it if I can fully understand it.
OK, I blew it , it's "Semi-Automatic Mode" after you adjust something...but on the A/C off issue, the system will try but cannot lower the temperature below that of the outside air.

I went digging and found my confusion was with the wife's Oddy A/C which has a rear A/C with auto matching or manual modes...
Old 01-23-2008, 09:35 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

I don't think the compressor runs much in auto mode if the outside temperature is below the temperature you have set. When it is cooler outside, it seems to run only briefly to control humidity.

You usually can tell when the A/C is running, especially if the car is idling at a traffic light (4-bangers have much lower torque/hp at idle than 6 or 8 cylinder cars, and hence the idle is rougher when the AC is on).

I used to feel much as you do, but my having had the car for a while is that the A/C runs when it needs to, and not when it doesn't...