Old 12-06-2006, 07:38 PM
Use all 3 Pedals at once

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks moda_way...I fully understand now
Old 12-06-2006, 08:05 PM
PJS
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nope, no mention of any name, least of all OMRON.
Looks like it's a non-starter - no pun intended!
Old 12-06-2006, 08:43 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by FLBusa
Will it work in my car?

More than likely... YES

Here's the models that the key and chip work with.

3rd Gen TL's (2004 through 2006) Remote Works
TSX (2004 through 2006) Remote Works
Accord (2003 through 2006) Remote Works
CR-V (2006)
Element (2006)
Odyssey (2005-2006)
Ridgeline (2005-2006)
Pilot (2006)
I wanna do this swap/conversion on my parent's Honda Fit 07, the key is the new style key not the old style key (sorry about the crappy discription but my key looks like the 07 key on the TL with a flat part between the cuts and no center line)

I was wondering if the RDX remote or TL remote will work with the Fit. From what i can understand Ill need the dealership to cut the blank to fit the Fit, and for them to program the immobilizer chip as well. I was wondering if the remote in the rdx or TL key fob uses the same transmitter frequency as the Fit's remote. And can someone please let me know how much it would cost to cut the new style key as opposed to the old style key.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:26 PM
NBP6MTTSX

Originally Posted by moda_way
Okay, I'll restate the part of the immobilizer chip and transmitter differences.

We absolutely can program the transmitter buttons ourselves (those that unlock/lock the car). This is the ignition sequence referred to above.
We absolutely cannot program the immobilizer chip ourselves. That has to be done at the dealership using the HDS tablet. ~1 hr of labor is the cost.

To answer the Euro Accord question, please look on the back of your OEM fob and tell me if you see a manufacturer name of OMRON. If you do, then yes, this can be done for you as well.
Thanks Moda, that helped me understand better too!
Old 12-06-2006, 09:27 PM
Pro

I wonder if I can order a coupla keys from Acura even tho i'm in Canada. Heck, I'd even pay FLBusa and buy the keys already milled from him/her. Can't wait for the full meal deal.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:23 AM
Doesn't Rice His Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I guess maybe some people who haven't order theirs here in the US can order two next time they go in... then sell them in the black market @ cost for the Canadians?
Old 12-07-2006, 01:30 AM
AlwysCleanURArely c ASpec

I would reccommend going to a good locksmith rather than a local hardware store (ie home depot). Not to bash them, but you DO NOT want this key to in any way be cut wrong since it would be expensive to get another blank. A certain hardware store that is full of orange aprons has consecutively made wrong keys for me.. be careful
Old 12-07-2006, 02:42 AM
Port & Polish Everything

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ride Slow Homey
I would reccommend going to a good locksmith rather than a local hardware store (ie home depot). Not to bash them, but you DO NOT want this key to in any way be cut wrong since it would be expensive to get another blank. A certain hardware store that is full of orange aprons has consecutively made wrong keys for me.. be careful
lol, custom ~$50 CNC machined blank TL key eaten up by sloppy dude doing sloppy work at home depot.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KnifeEdge
I wanna do this swap/conversion on my parent's Honda Fit 07, the key is the new style key not the old style key (sorry about the crappy discription but my key looks like the 07 key on the TL with a flat part between the cuts and no center line)

I was wondering if the RDX remote or TL remote will work with the Fit. From what i can understand Ill need the dealership to cut the blank to fit the Fit, and for them to program the immobilizer chip as well. I was wondering if the remote in the rdx or TL key fob uses the same transmitter frequency as the Fit's remote. And can someone please let me know how much it would cost to cut the new style key as opposed to the old style key.
It is possible, but the only way to find out is to buy an RDX key and try to program the remote. I know I saw someone selling an RDX key in the Black Market section.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:16 AM
Instructor

We absolutely cannot program the immobilizer chip ourselves. That has to be done at the dealership using the HDS tablet. ~1 hr of labor is the cost.
True on not being able to program the immobilizer chip yourself.

The locksmith that did my key came to my work and cut the key in his van. He programmed the chip with a hand held unit that plugged in under the dash (ODB II port I think). It took him under 3 minutes to program the chip.

I think it's in everyones best interest to shop around for a locksmith. Going to the dealer would IMO be the last option. Once a few people have found some reputable locksmiths we can generate a list of locksmiths. So if you live near another member you can use the same guy.

Some locksmiths want a ton of money while others are much more reasonable. There seems to be a lot of mobile locksmiths that will charge whatever they can get away with. Like a 24hr Plumber. There are good ones out there they just need to be located and passed along.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by FLBusa
True on not being able to program the immobilizer chip yourself.

The locksmith that did my key came to my work and cut the key in his van. He programmed the chip with a hand held unit that plugged in under the dash (ODB II port I think). It took him under 3 minutes to program the chip.

I think it's in everyones best interest to shop around for a locksmith. Going to the dealer would IMO be the last option. Once a few people have found some reputable locksmiths we can generate a list of locksmiths. So if you live near another member you can use the same guy.

Some locksmiths want a ton of money while others are much more reasonable. There seems to be a lot of mobile locksmiths that will charge whatever they can get away with. Like a 24hr Plumber. There are good ones out there they just need to be located and passed along.
Good point. Some good locksmiths probably have all the tools to do this. I'm going to check around the Cincinnati area and we should start a thread on this.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:38 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,858 Likes on 2,579 Posts
now if I can only figure out a way to get a honda emblem on it.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:46 AM
Pro

Okay, I'll restate the part of the immobilizer chip and transmitter differences.

We absolutely can program the transmitter buttons ourselves (those that unlock/lock the car). This is the ignition sequence referred to above.
We absolutely cannot program the immobilizer chip ourselves. That has to be done at the dealership using the HDS tablet. ~1 hr of labor is the cost..

I totally picture any of dealerships I'd go to rolling their eyes, groaning, and then saying "we don't do modifications like that".
Old 12-07-2006, 09:51 AM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts
Will my OEM key fob still work, or does the new transmitter "overwrite" it when it is programmed to the car?
Old 12-07-2006, 09:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by markm929
Will my OEM key fob still work, or does the new transmitter "overwrite" it when it is programmed to the car?
The car will maintain 3 transmitters. If you follow the transmitter programming steps within the USDM Accord Key Fob Mod, then you will have all your transmitters working.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:04 AM
Racer

Please put me on the list for one of these aswell, if there is a list.

Thanks!
Old 12-07-2006, 10:09 AM
Racer

The car will maintain 3 transmitters. If you follow the transmitter programming steps within the USDM Accord Key Fob Mod, then you will have all your transmitters working.

Glad to hear it!
Old 12-07-2006, 10:11 AM
Senior Moderator

If I have an extra immobilizer already programmed (I do...) will I be able to put it in the new key easily? Or are we talking about a key that has never been "opened" and has a blank factory immobilizer already inside, that I would want to be preserved and programmed.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:19 AM
Racer

Smile

FLBusa...as I am sure we are all well aware, due to this great mod, your PM box is full. Just as a guesstimate, what sort of time frame are we looking at to get a key milled if sent to you?
Old 12-07-2006, 10:27 AM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
This mod seems to be getting pretty expensive....

key $40
mill + shipping and handling $god knows how much
dealership immobilizer program $40??

Ridiculous.............it makes me want to just try to make a key myself!
Old 12-07-2006, 10:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I just want to point out that many hardware stores won't cut keys that use transponder chips (if they know the difference).
Old 12-07-2006, 10:42 AM
Burning Brakes

ok...FLBusa can we just buy milled key from you
instead of buying key from dealer --> mail it to you then you mail it back

I think that's a better way right?
if you buy in large quantity....you might get bulk deal on TL keys?
Old 12-07-2006, 10:45 AM
Racer

^^^ Well said. We just have to see how much the milling is going to be. If its too much, Ill just wait for moda's DIY and do it myself too. I did it with the accord key. Only time will tell on the milling process.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Reach
If I have an extra immobilizer already programmed (I do...) will I be able to put it in the new key easily? Or are we talking about a key that has never been "opened" and has a blank factory immobilizer already inside, that I would want to be preserved and programmed.
Yes you can use it. There are a few steps which I plan to document once FBLusa does this for me. I'm doing up 2, one by FBLusa and one in my old method. I still highly recommend FBLusa because his way uses the stock key.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by rza49311
This mod seems to be getting pretty expensive....

key $40
mill + shipping and handling $god knows how much
dealership immobilizer program $40??

Ridiculous.............it makes me want to just try to make a key myself!
It isn't cheap to make new equipment work on old model cars. Ask anyone doing a K-series swap.

None the less, FBLusa is doing this for a very good price (his to discuss when he becomes a vendor). As for the programming from the dealer, FBLusa mentioned some locksmiths can do it. They'll need to cut your key for you anyway.

I've gotten 70% of this mod done "on my own talents" and trust me, this isn't nearly as easy as the USDM Accord mod was, but I became a perfectionist at that one.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by kyotousa
ok...FLBusa can we just buy milled key from you
instead of buying key from dealer --> mail it to you then you mail it back

I think that's a better way right?
if you buy in large quantity....you might get bulk deal on TL keys?
I was working to be a "supplier" of Acura parts, but I haven't gotten any further than the paperwork. Supply is going to be an issue because I know FBLusa will be working 24x7 to do this for folks around here.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:37 AM
Burning Brakes

I got an 07 TL key ready for modding. I just FBLusa to start the miling process and i'll ship my key ASAP. FBLusa put me on the list as well. BTW I think you should make two lists FBLusa to make it easier. 1 list that has people that already have the key and the 2nd one with for people that want to get a key from you. I think that will help out the process go smoother.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:08 PM
6th Gear

It is possible, but the only way to find out is to buy an RDX key and try to program the remote. I know I saw someone selling an RDX key in the Black Market section.
what about the immobilizer chip ??

and how would one go about programmin the remote ??

and lastly isnt there a way to check the frequency used by the rdx remote and the fit remote to see if they're compatible ?? my friend just took a look at my remote and said the TL fob wont work ...
Old 12-07-2006, 12:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by KnifeEdge
what about the immobilizer chip ??

and how would one go about programmin the remote ??

and lastly isnt there a way to check the frequency used by the rdx remote and the fit remote to see if they're compatible ?? my friend just took a look at my remote and said the TL fob wont work ...
The immobilizer chip would need to be programmed by Honda or a very good locksmith who has access into the ECU.

You need to see what the code on the back of the RDX key is and compare it to yours. Just go test drive an RDX and then compare.

I have the programming instructions in .doc, but if you search on Accord fob mod here you'll find them there too.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:26 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
It isn't cheap to make new equipment work on old model cars. Ask anyone doing a K-series swap.

None the less, FBLusa is doing this for a very good price (his to discuss when he becomes a vendor). As for the programming from the dealer, FBLusa mentioned some locksmiths can do it. They'll need to cut your key for you anyway.

I've gotten 70% of this mod done "on my own talents" and trust me, this isn't nearly as easy as the USDM Accord mod was, but I became a perfectionist at that one.
i forgot to add the cost of having the key cut!
And yes, I agree its expensive but a key ain't giving any better performance!
I'm gonna wait and see what you come up with for the DIY, i've been brainstorming about it but I need to get my key apart so i can get a clearer picture...might try this weekend...i'm not scared to hack some stuff up, thats the fun part
Old 12-07-2006, 12:28 PM
Hailing from the 3-0-5

I'm gonna wait and see what you come up with for the DIY, i've been brainstorming about it but I need to get my key apart so i can get a clearer picture...might try this weekend...i'm not scared to hack some stuff up, thats the fun part

Hacking is fun, but making it all stick back together is where the true thrill lies! Imma hop on "the list" when it is official. I really miss my Accord key and this one will totally quench my sadness!
Old 12-07-2006, 12:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Cool, then two hints. Don't fk up the screws holding down the key and spring. Use a #00 (on the 2 black screws) and #0 phillips on the silver screw. If you don't have a dremel tool, you fight to get the key out of the plastic part.

Also pay attention to how the spring is inserted into the retain plate and key.

The immobilizer chip is on the bottom side of the key. It has a flap over it that can be flipped up and pulled out. Getting the chip out is easiest if you just destroy it. Otherwise, leave it.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:42 PM
6th Gear

Does the milling process not work with RSX's?
Old 12-07-2006, 01:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by iN10Se
I guess we would need to confirm the dimensions. We know the RDX transmitter is not compliant, so you would use an 07 TL key and have a non-working trunk release button.

If the dimensions are the same as the TL and TSX key, then the milling could work as well.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:48 PM
6th Gear

Transmitters from our DIY Accord Fobs can still be used for the TL key im assuming?
Old 12-07-2006, 01:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Transmitters from our DIY Accord Fobs can still be used for the TL key im assuming?
No, the transmitters are not "swappable". You just program the transmitter in the new TL key to work using the same process.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:26 PM
Instructor

I haven't seen an RSX key yet but.... If an RSX key fit's into a Gen3 TL or TSX then the physical "KEY" part will work. Unfortunately the RSX uses a Type 3 chip where the TL and TSX use a type 4. As for the remote working... that's something that can only be answered by testing.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Guys, I think someone should start a new thread with the appropriate TL key mod thread title instead of continue posting within this RDX key fob thread. This way the posts are better organized and easier for others to search.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:58 PM
STM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JTso
Guys, I think someone should start a new thread with the appropriate TL key mod thread title instead of continue posting within this RDX key fob thread. This way the posts are better organized and easier for others to search.
Agree
Old 12-07-2006, 06:29 PM
Swinger, just ask Lindy

Perhaps this thread? Maybe with some minor editing of the title?

Quick Reply: Rdx Key Fob (modaway)