Questions about Police

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 01:43 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about Police

This is my self proclaimed "Official Police Q&A" thread.
If your have a question regarding Police and your TSX, this is the thread to post it!!

Here's a quick Police FAQ:

1. SOME agencies do have quoatas. This keeps Police in check, to let the bosses and public know they are doing their job.

2. Cops don't hate imports. Alot of cops drive imports for their personal use because they know what a well engineered car feels like, as opposed to a Crown Vic.

3. Cops are not tax exempt. Thus, they pay taxes. The taxes they pay also pays their salary. Don't tell a cop you pay his/her salary. They pay their own salary as well.

4. A cop doesn't need a radar, lazar, or airplane to give you a speeding ticket. Simply pacing you will work just as well.

5. The county you live in spends money to paint pavement markings and to post signs and traffic lights. These items are not merely eye candy, yet safety precautions that you the tax payer has spent money on to install. You the taxpayer usually have the say where these items are placed. You wanted it, you got it.

6. Most cops treat others how they want to be treated. Some are jerks. Everyone is different.

7. Cops don't like the following: illegally tinted windows, loud stereos, loud mufflers, neon lights, and anything else that you think is cool. Cool items stick out like a sore thumb. And Cops radar in on cool items like stink on shit. You want cool itmes? Expect a cop to pull you over.

8. Speaking of loud mufflers, they are illegal ALMOST everywhere. But wait, I bought it like this brand new!! Yeah, well, it's still loud, and annoying...and you the taxpayer created laws against loud mufflers, stereo's, etc.

I could go on and on here folks. But stop and remember this:
The taxpayers, the citizens, your fellow drivers...they created all these annoying laws that you hate. And all these laws that you break were created by your comrads, not the police. Loud muffler ticket, speeding ticket, window tine ticket, DUS, DUI, expired license and license plates ticket, loud stereo ticket...almost all created by drivers and taxpayers. The Police have more to worry about than creating new laws. They just enforce them. If they didn't, the taxpayers, drivers, and citizens would gripe and complain.

To all naysayers, wait until you're a little older, and this will start to make sense.

PS...this isn't a cop bashing thread. That horse is dead. But if you have a question about your driving and your contact with the Police, or about the law, ask now. It won't be held against you in a court of law.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:12 AM
6MT Snob

I agree with most laws, HOWEVER when an officer knows the problems and ramifications somebody goes through when issued a ticket I think there should be a lot more warnings and a lot less tickets. If what you did truly endangered yourself or people around you, you should get a ticket. Too many police play the what if game. You make a right turn on red at 3am on a no turn on red and NOBODY except a police officer is around does that really warrant the expense and trouble a traffic ticket causes? The officer may say, "what if somebody was comming that you didnt see?".. Fine give the guy a warning...

So my question is why do officers feel the need to give tickets for petty violations when every day on the way to work I see at least 3-5 life endangering feats on I-88 but how often do I see an officer on I-88? OHHHH lets see.. right about now.. towards the end of the month. If the officers really cared about enforcing the law they would have a wolf pack of officers out there tomorrow, the next day and EVERYDAY ALL DAY as long as there was traffic watching for these dumb fucks doing 3 lane sweps and all kinds of stupid shit.

I cant complain myself, I have about 7 times I've been pulled over and had a verbal warning for doing silly stuff. But I know plenty of people who have had tickets for things like their tire going over the yellow line when they get in the left hand turn lane...
Old 02-19-2004, 02:45 AM
bleh...

I agree with most of what you said. Police are part of the city government and they help get a city tax revenue. The times they are more anxious to pull you over to fill quotas is during the beginning of the month or at the end of the month. However, the best tips to avoid trouble with the fuzz is to drive carefully and obey traffic laws.

As for the Crown Vic its a good car, don't bash on it because its an American car or should I say Canadian made. I've seen many Crown Vics with over 200k miles. The local police department here has a couple 1996 Crown Vics with over 175k miles and they are still pulling through. Its better than most of the Fords being made.

As for a bad police car you cant get any worse than the Chevy Wimpala FWD V6 POS!
Old 02-19-2004, 02:53 AM
Banned

"PLEASE ALLOW ME TO RETORT..."

1. in many jurisdictions... tickets are basically a racket used to generate huge amounts of revenue for the city. quotas basically turn officers into profit generators for the city.

2. cops could care less what car you drive. however if you're driving some stupid ricemobile... he is going to have contempt for you... and I encourage this.

3. I do pay cop's salaries... and they are PUBLIC SERVANTS. sometimes they forget who the boss really is. same with politicians.

4. cops don't need you to commit a traffic infraction to actually give you a ticket. a cop with an educated guess is a dangerous thing.

5. most transporation funds come from the state as redistribution of your DMV fees to municipalities.

6. some cops in my city also murder people and routinely plant evidence on people. they're as law abiding as your normal group of people... most are good... many are criminals. most of the younger ones have a major inferiority complex... most of the older ones have learned to mellow out.

7. cops do hate people that look like they just drove off the set of The Fast and the Furious 3 or a 50 Cent video. if you want to emulate a criminal lifestyle that you saw on MTV... expect to get called out.

8. loud mufflers are idiotic... irrespective of local ordinances. why someone would want to tell the world... HEY LOOK AT HOW FUCKING COOL I AM WITH MY LOUD MUFFLER ON MY CAR, LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME, I NEED YOUR ATTENTION... I just will never know.

9. the legislature makes laws, not the public. you're right that you should direct your ire towards your legislators and not your local cop... he's just doing what he's told.

Old 02-19-2004, 11:09 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by gfxdave99

So my question is why do officers feel the need to give tickets for petty violations when every day on the way to work I see at least 3-5 life endangering feats on I-88 but how often do I see an officer on I-88?
Good question. As you know, cops can't be everywhere all the time. If that's a dangerous road, call your local PD and tell them to step up patrol on I-88.

Also, define a petty violation. And are these petty violations being ticketed at the same time that I-88 is a 3 ring circus?
Old 02-19-2004, 11:16 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by Agent_Chen

As for the Crown Vic its a good car, don't bash on it because its an American car or should I say Canadian made.
Good point, and I'll clarify. The Crown vic is one of Ford's better built cars, and they put up with an asskicking every day. But try driving one for 8 hours. Then go drive a Honda, Toyota, VW, etc. It's night and day.

And speaking of Foreign, my hometown used to have a fleet of Volvo Police cars, white and blue...they were pretty cool. That was back in the late 80's, early 90's though.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:26 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by Crazytree
"PLEASE ALLOW ME TO RETORT..."

3. I do pay cop's salaries... and they are PUBLIC SERVANTS. sometimes they forget who the boss really is. same with politicians.

Yes, you do pay their salary, and so do cops. But they pay YOUR salary as well. Your companie's product or service is supported by the consumer...so we are YOUR boss as well.

4. cops don't need you to commit a traffic infraction to actually give you a ticket. a cop with an educated guess is a dangerous thing.

In some cases, sure. It's called probable cause.
You could be a law abiding driver, but if you fit the description of a wanted person, that's PC. Ditto with the car. And the dangerous thing is actually dealing with dangerous people, something the public lets cops deal with.

Old 02-19-2004, 04:27 PM
6MT Snob

One thing I have noticed is that the car you drive has a lot to do with how you get treated. I got pulled over at least 5 times in the 2 years I had my trans am, only one was a ticket and that got dropped because i removed the tint. Wheras in my cadillac CTS I got pulled over ZERO times in 2 years.

I wonder how the TSX falls into that.. they had a red one on the lot when I bought it and I kinda liked the red but I have had too many red cars, they attract too much attention.

My CG will do me just fine.
Old 02-19-2004, 04:31 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Here's a question: is there definitely more pressure to ticket and not let people off the hook with a warning now, with state legislatures cutting aid to local towns/cities and those municipalities needing more income?

(that was a really long question)
Old 02-19-2004, 04:31 PM
STC
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
drive normally and cops wont bust you......simple as that TSX or not.
Old 02-19-2004, 04:33 PM
6MT Snob

Originally posted by jcg878
Here's a question: is there definitely more pressure to ticket and not let people off the hook with a warning now, with state legislatures cutting aid to local towns/cities and those municipalities needing more income?

(that was a really long question)
Yes, it's a money racket and everybody knows it and nobody will do anything about it
Old 02-19-2004, 05:01 PM
6MT Snob

Originally posted by STC
drive normally and cops wont bust you......simple as that TSX or not.

My point is that driving the SAME way in the Trans am and the CTS i got pulled over more in a trans am.
Old 02-19-2004, 05:43 PM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cops are stupid pawns in a money game for the government...

traffic cops are a waste of space and tax dollars 50% of the time.

go ahead and cower behind the man because he carries a gun and has authoritarian powers. If you think you have to "yes sir, officer ,sir " a cop then you forget what we pay them for... weak sauce. they're servants... public servants...

all I gotta say is "teflon coated ammunition".
Old 02-19-2004, 05:52 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally posted by yomama
Yes, you do pay their salary, and so do cops. But they pay YOUR salary as well. Your companie's product or service is supported by the consumer...so we are YOUR boss as well.
That's just going around in circles. Then everyone is everyone else's boss. I.e., my boss at work, who pays MY salary, is also MY servant because he/she buys products from OUR company, which I work for, and so does she...wtf? That makes no sense at all.

Fact is, cops pay our salaries by buying products from the companies we work for...so does the garbage man, the pizza delivery boy, the Walmart employee, etc. But when you're talking about a police officer as civil servant, and not as a part of the consumer/producer cycle, we the taxpayers are the boss.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:25 PM
Banned

cops lie in court on a daily basis. the misuse of terms-of-art such as "probable cause" do not mitigate this fact.

cops are public servants and they are statutorily duty-bound to serve the public interest and protect members of the public from harm. I am not a public servant and I owe ZERO duty to anyone.

Fact of the matter is that I could see Kobe and OJ raping some woman in an alley and I could get in my car and drive off without giving it a second thought. This would be 100% legal in that I do not have any duty to report a crime unless I have a contractual or statutory duty to do so. Cops have a statutory duty to do lots of things that I do not. Blah blah blah.

EVERYONE is pro-law enforcement... but that doesn't mean that some cops don't lie, cheat and steal like would members of the public as a whole.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:49 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Yes, it's a money racket and everybody knows it and nobody will do anything about it
I know that... I am asking if there is an increase in the pressure on law-enforcement officers to issue more tickets since the economic downturn.

IMO this thread has become exactly what yomoma was trying to avoid
Old 02-19-2004, 07:27 PM
Pinky all stinky

Fact of the matter is that I could see Kobe and OJ raping some woman in an alley and I could get in my car and drive off without giving it a second thought. This would be 100% legal in that I do not have any duty to report a crime unless I have a contractual or statutory duty to do so. Cops have a statutory duty to do lots of things that I do not. Blah blah blah.

Isn't there a good Samaritan law about things like that? Like if some jerk was tailgating you for the past 6 miles in the snow because you were, God forbid, driving slower than the posted speed limit, then he finally decides to speed past you and you later see him bent around a telephone pole, I think there's a law obligating you to at least report it.

IMO this thread has become exactly what yomoma was trying to avoid
If he intended for this thread to be a list of all the rightful duties of a cop and for all of us to sit here, read it, and nod in agreement and never once question some things that were written, then yes, it has become something else.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:49 PM
Possessed with my Schemes

I often question why everyone is so pro-cop. Put an initiative on a ballot asking for money for more cops, and it almost always passes. Hell, I'd vote for less cops if it was on a ballot.

It will be a very scary place when everyone starts sacrificing freedom for security. This is America, and I really don't want it to turn into a police state. The fathers of this country realized this, but we seem to have forgotten it in recent days, especially post 9-11 (Patriot Act for example).

Those who give up liberty for the sake of security deserve neither liberty nor security.

--- Ben Franklin
Old 02-19-2004, 07:56 PM
Advanced

BS, don't tell me that cops know the law and are just enforcing them. The damn pigs gave me a ticket for tinted windows and was ruded and ignored my paperwork from the dealer that said this % was legal. I went to the library before my hearing and found in the motor vehicle law book that said certain % was legal!!!!

When I went to court, while others pleaded guilty for tinted windows, i had my chance to negotiate with the town lawyer. He was shock that i plead not guilty. I flashed my paperwork at him and demanded that pig come to the courthouse so i can confront the bastard. I didn't know I lived in a Nazi state! He told me to please keep quiet, place me in the front of the line and when it was my turn, told the judge there was evidence to throw my ticket away!

Naturally the judge looked shock on how I got off while he had people ahead of me paid fines. Others were shocked also but the deal was for me to be silent and not let the court know I had documentation. Imagine, they collected money illegally!

I never went back to that sh.thole of Keyport, NJ again! I use to go to alot of resturants there, they lost all my business.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:00 PM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Ozzman
I often question why everyone is so pro-cop. Put an initiative on a ballot asking for money for more cops, and it almost always passes. Hell, I'd vote for less cops if it was on a ballot.

It will be a very scary place when everyone starts sacrificing freedom for security. This is America, and I really don't want it to turn into a police state. The fathers of this country realized this, but we seem to have forgotten it in recent days, especially post 9-11 (Patriot Act for example).

Those who give up liberty for the sake of security deserve neither liberty nor security.

--- Ben Franklin
AMEN Brotha'!!!

Thank goodness for the left wing. If not for it, then we'd be living in a military state.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:20 PM
Banned

Originally posted by kenk25
BS, don't tell me that cops know the law and are just enforcing them. The damn pigs gave me a ticket for tinted windows and was ruded and ignored my paperwork from the dealer that said this % was legal. I went to the library before my hearing and found in the motor vehicle law book that said certain % was legal!!!!

When I went to court, while others pleaded guilty for tinted windows, i had my chance to negotiate with the town lawyer. He was shock that i plead not guilty. I flashed my paperwork at him and demanded that pig come to the courthouse so i can confront the bastard. I didn't know I lived in a Nazi state! He told me to please keep quiet, place me in the front of the line and when it was my turn, told the judge there was evidence to throw my ticket away!

Naturally the judge looked shock on how I got off while he had people ahead of me paid fines. Others were shocked also but the deal was for me to be silent and not let the court know I had documentation. Imagine, they collected money illegally!

I never went back to that sh.thole of Keyport, NJ again! I use to go to alot of resturants there, they lost all my business.
lol if this were me I would have made the BIGGEST scene!
Old 02-19-2004, 08:40 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

--- Ben Franklin
Wise words, ozzman and Ben

it's only 20 years after 1984...
Old 02-19-2004, 09:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

I have no respect at all for traffic cops. Police officers yes... traffic cops no.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:52 PM
Race Director

gosh we should tie this thread with mine too, since it deals with how cops are annoying
Old 02-19-2004, 11:54 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by jcg878

I live in a big city, so no is the answer to that question. But I can't speak for Anytown USA with a population of 4000. They might depend on tickets for income. Look at Rome Ohio.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:02 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by civic4982
cops are stupid pawns in a money game for the government...

traffic cops are a waste of space and tax dollars 50% of the time.

go ahead and cower behind the man because he carries a gun and has authoritarian powers. If you think you have to "yes sir, officer ,sir " a cop then you forget what we pay them for... weak sauce. they're servants... public servants...

all I gotta say is "teflon coated ammunition".
Actually, you're wrong. Cops aren't stupid.
Are the traffic cops useful the other 50% of the time.
Grow up civic boy.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:04 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by phile
That's just going around in circles. Then everyone is everyone else's boss. I.e., my boss at work, who pays MY salary, is also MY servant because he/she buys products from OUR company, which I work for, and so does she...wtf? That makes no sense at all.

Fact is, cops pay our salaries by buying products from the companies we work for...so does the garbage man, the pizza delivery boy, the Walmart employee, etc. But when you're talking about a police officer as civil servant, and not as a part of the consumer/producer cycle, we the taxpayers are the boss.
Let me try to clear this up. Cops are not tax exempt. They pay taxes. Thus, they fall into the category of "we the taxpayers".
Old 02-20-2004, 12:11 AM
Instructor

Negative ghostrider. States have laws that would jail you for, example, watching OJ rape someone. Read up on that.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:12 AM
Instructor

My point is that driving the SAME way in the Trans am and the CTS i got pulled over more in a trans am.
That is true. Too true.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:21 AM
Instructor

You have not taken into consideration why more cops are needed. It's called birth, which means bigger population.
When the anti cop ballot arises, you might as well vote for less teachers and firefighters. Until then....
Old 02-20-2004, 12:23 AM
Instructor

cops lie in court on a daily basis.
As do lawyers.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:25 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by kenk25

Atta boy. Keyport will never be the same.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:28 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by DEVO
I have no respect at all for traffic cops. Police officers yes... traffic cops no.
Traffic cops are Police Officers. What you think is a "traffic cop" is actually a sworn police officer.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:29 AM
Banned

Negative ghostrider. States have laws that would jail you for, example, watching OJ rape someone. Read up on that.
I've spent the last year of law school "reading up on that". The controlling Federal caselaw on this issue is PACE v. STATE 224 N.E.2d 312 (1967). YOU read up on that, you jive turkey. This specific issue was discussed extensively in my Criminal Transactions course. Basically... the Model Penal Code states that you have no duty to report the actions of a third-party criminal provided that you have taken no actions to harbor, conceal or aid the principal to avoid capture and/or punishment.

You sure talk alot for someone who doesn't understand that the legislature makes laws and the fact that cops are public servants and I am not.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:41 AM
Instructor

I've spent the last year of law school "reading up on that". The controlling Federal caselaw on this issue is PACE v. STATE 224 N.E.2d 312 (1967). YOU read up on that, you jive turkey. This specific issue was discussed extensively in my Criminal Transactions course. Basically... the Model Penal Code states that you have no duty to report the actions of a third-party criminal provided that you have taken no actions to harbor, conceal or aid the principal to avoid capture and/or punishment.

You sure talk alot for someone who doesn't understand that the legislature makes laws and the fact that cops are public servants and I am not.
One could assume the fact that you even brought up the Kobe/OJ mock scenario, that you will in fact be an ambulance chaser. Just remember to stay 100 feet behind. As for the jive turkey comment, well, you got me there. Well done.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:46 AM
Pinky all stinky

Let me try to clear this up. Cops are not tax exempt. They pay taxes. Thus, they fall into the category of "we the taxpayers".
It doesn't matter. Cops are still civil servants - yes, they are taxpayers also, but they are, due to the nature of their jobs, civil servants first and foremost. And as such, they do work for the taxpayers. Cops are not the boss of the taxpayers, as you implied. That is absurd.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:48 AM
Banned

Since this is a "questions about police" thread... I have a "questions about police":

Would you tell a law enforcement officer how much you appreciate what he's doing and how he is the greatest thing in the universe BEFORE or AFTER you finished blowing him?
Old 02-20-2004, 12:55 AM
6MT Snob

So much for this not becoming a cop bashing thread.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:58 AM
Instructor

Since this is a "questions about police" thread... I have a "questions about police":

Would you tell a law enforcement officer how much you appreciate what he's doing and how he is the greatest thing in the universe BEFORE or AFTER you finished blowing him?
I guess it would depend on if he gave me a reach around.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:58 AM
idx
Senior Grasshopper

Since I seem to be running into nothing but asshole cops lately, I'll pose this scenario [yomamma] and you weigh in.

GF and I were driving to the mall and I happened to be the one driving [her suv - maybe a 20% chance that I'd drive]. Her tag had expired ~3mo before and she thought she had renewed, but apparently not. (we weren't aware of this at the time)

So we're naturally pulled over by a state trooper. Lic, reg, ins.. Not my car, I have no clue where the reg/ins is and she is looking for it. I hand my license and poke around my area to check for the reg/ins. Cop again asserts, `Sir, Registration and Insurance`. I say, "yes, we're looking, this is her vehicle and I have no clue where she keeps it".

Ok, so we do the 7.45min wait while he checks the info in his computer.

Back with `Sir, did you know your tag expired on XX`. I: "No I didn't. This is her vehicle and I just happened to drive today." ..

...so we go through a few more rounds of this inane banter and he ends up writing ME a warning.

Sure, I was technically driving, but who the hell checks their gf/friend's/family's car when the owner is riding with you on a short trip? I damn sure wasn't going to pay anything over something like this.

More or less I appreciated the notification about the tag, but could do without the asshole attitude. Sorry, I've just been running into little dumb situations like that where the cop is being unnecessarily rude and hostile when I've done nothing wrong.

-r

Quick Reply: Questions about Police