Question, TSX or C230 Kompressor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 05:28 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question, TSX or C230 Kompressor?

Hi, I'm Alexia and I'm 18. I'm getting a new car this month and I'm not so sure what to get. I'm not really quite familiar with what happens with forums, but when I was looking for information with the TSX, this site came up. And I don't know if you can help or not. I'm wondering though, which car is over all a better car. I've narrowed it down to actually three cars, not just the two mentioned above. My three choices are, a Lexus IS300, Acura TSX, or a MB C230 Kompressor. I've gone to all three dealerships of their respective car makers. I'm still torn between them. I like the IS becuase it's really small and quite cute, great customer serivce people, and it's not that expensive. I liket the TSX because it's a little of both worlds, like sporty/refined. It's a little slower than the rest, blander then the MB. Can anyone give me more information? Thanks.
Old 02-04-2004, 05:57 PM
Advanced

Re: Question, TSX or C230 Kompressor?

Originally posted by Alexia
Hi, I'm Alexia and I'm 18. I'm getting a new car this month and I'm not so sure what to get. I'm not really quite familiar with what happens with forums, but when I was looking for information with the TSX, this site came up. And I don't know if you can help or not. I'm wondering though, which car is over all a better car. I've narrowed it down to actually three cars, not just the two mentioned above. My three choices are, a Lexus IS300, Acura TSX, or a MB C230 Kompressor. I've gone to all three dealerships of their respective car makers. I'm still torn between them. I like the IS becuase it's really small and quite cute, great customer serivce people, and it's not that expensive. I liket the TSX because it's a little of both worlds, like sporty/refined. It's a little slower than the rest, blander then the MB. Can anyone give me more information? Thanks.
Hi Alexia!

Welcome to the forums first of all! I hope you stay!

Here's my two cents on the cars you have mentioned. Keep in mind I am biased as I just bought a TSX in January and love it. I looked at the cars you have mentioned as well as well as others.

Lexus IS300 - First off, I never liked the looks on this car. Nothing awful about it, just bland. I really think it looks a lot like a civic to me. That's too much to pay for a civic. I also did not like the intrument cluster....I think its trendy and will not stand the test of time. Apart from that it's made well and will be reliable (hey it's a Toyota!).

MB C230 - No contest here. Reliability is one issue that should concern you. Being able to take friends out and have them not complain that sitting in the back is like being put in the trunk. It's just not enough car for the money. You are paying a lot for the Mercedes name....and anyone that knows cars will know it's the cheapest one out there.

TSX - I love the blend of sportiness and class that this car offers. Once again great reliablility is expected (Hey it's a Honda), WONDERFUL interior..top notch as my friends keep telling me. Looks that are sporty but not over the top. This car will still look nice in 10 years. Acceleration and handling are great. I think it's awesome bang for the buck.

My 2 cents.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:15 PM
Kick Ass Duke

Yep. The TSX is the best value out of the three. With MB and Lexus, you will have to add an ass load of options to have the standard things on the TSX, and those options add up $$$.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:22 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Re: Question, TSX or C230 Kompressor?

Originally posted by T Sexy
..... Lexus IS300 - First off, I never liked the looks on this car. Nothing awful about it, just bland. I really think it looks a lot like a civic to me. That's too much to pay for a civic. I also did not like the intrument cluster....
I liked the shape and look of the IS300 but once I sat in the drivers seat and looked at the gages I just couldn't fanthom living with the look of the instruments. Are they supposed to give you the impression that the IS300 is a finely tuned instrument? EGADS!

Several years ago owning a Mercedes would have meant driving a well engineered, very reliable car. After all, look at all the old ones around. They are supposed to last and last. Not anymore. Now MB is getting inferior reliability ratings from Consumer Reports. Not for me.

The TSX is simply the best bang-for-the-buck. And, besides the value of the standard features, it drives great, looks good, and will last. That's why it was my choice.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:30 PM
Cruisin'

what u do DON"T BUY MERCEDES!!!!! my parents have two new mercedes in the driveway. they are complete shit. one is already giving out and creaks every minute while we drive (extremely annoying and very embarrasing). the interior also has a feeling of cheapness. mercedes uses a crappy CD-based navigation and is, IMHO, worthless. just stay away from them, mercedes isn't wha tit used to be; after chrysler took over they crapped all over mercedes like they did with their cars. as for the IS300, many will know it as the "hookup" car. its great for modding if thats what ur into. i hate the exterior tho, and the interior, tho cool, doesn't go with my style. the tsx is definately the car to go with if u ask me, its what i will be getting when i get my license. also probably the most sensibly priced out of those three cars. goodluck!
Old 02-04-2004, 06:41 PM
cmf
ATCer

Having now owned a TSX and IS300 myself, it's almost one in the same....
Lexus=Toyota
Acura=Honda
Both are great cars and as far as options are concerned, you will get the exact same options in the IS as the TSX, only the starting price is greater on the IS. I think the only extra option would be heated seats, and NAVI of course, but what car does not have that as an option.
Benz=P.O.S. Something about being mixed in with Chrysler that scares me...then again, I only buy Japanese vehicles.
If I could do it all over again, and needed to save money, I would buy the TSX, but if money was not a factor, I would go back to my IS--providing someone wakes up and makes it in a 6-spd.
Don't know if that helps, but that is my .02
Old 02-04-2004, 06:56 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Why do you like the MB? You said what you like about the IS and the TSX.

Obviously we're biased... the IS is not a bad car, but its styling is not for me. I really don't like the c230 - it's really small inside and out, and not that impressive (and I like hatches). Not that you ever get the best bargain when you're buying a lux or entry-lux car, but you really don't get it there. If you choose it, just make sure it's not chiefly because of that 3-pointed star... because that would-be prestige doesn't make it all the way down the line IMO.

Did you post the same question on MB and IS boards (you should)? I'd be interested in reading what they have to say
Old 02-04-2004, 07:52 PM
101 years of heartache...

all depends on your tastes and budget.

Acura TSX- it was on Car & Driver's 10 Best for a reason. Just under 30k with all the goodies, incredible handling and transmittion, and a wonderful interior. Buy this if you are...
-looking out for money
-into a rare car that will turn heads
-great reliablity

Lexus IS300-some say the TSX has balnd styling, and i must say, the back is bland,but nice. The IS in my opinion is not bland, but repetative in style. This is the sportiest, but also the worst in styling. Exterior falls short to the MB, and interior falls short to the Acura.
-Sportiest of them all
-Youngest looking

MB C230 K- this car has great exterior looks. it has all that the others have, but you would pay a lot more. Also, it is worst in performance.
-more luxurious out of them all
-in my opinion best looking exterior

Im 16 and just might have the same "young" tastes as you, but seriously, get the TSX. again, there is a reason why it made Car & Driver's 10 best. It combines the best of both sport and luxury, is the cheapest, and is still a head-turner. Im not being biased at all here. If money isnt a problem, then id take the MB. btw dont think 3-series because of the styling changes coming soon. Sorry for the long overview, but this is a good opinion in my mind.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:36 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by gocubsgo55
MB C230 K- this car has great exterior looks. it has all that the others have, but you would pay a lot more. Also, it is worst in performance.
-more luxurious out of them all
-in my opinion best looking exterior
Maybe we're not talking about the same thing... are we talking about this:

or this?

The former is fugly, the latter very attractive. I'd give the nod to the sedan in the looks category vs the TSX and IS.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:26 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Alexia, welcome! I imagine that since you're only 18 and you're already considering an entry level luxury car, money/budget is not a concern, so I am not even going to talk about the "value" factor here.

I think you're right that the IS300 is right for a young person like you - it's sporty and it's the right size. However, it's getting OLD. It is about to be replaced in a year or two. Do you really want a car that will be out in such a short time? Also, the interior is CRAMPED.

MB - are you serious? Do you really want to drive around an MB? I am twice your age and I don't want to be seen driving a Mercedes! Well, not until I'm well over 40! LOL! If you mean the coupe, that's not as bad, but it's just not a very good looking car. It looks like the butt just got chopped off. Also, it has that obnoxious thing going on for an 18 year old driving an MB... sorry but it's true. If you must drive a German car, why not the BMW 3 series? Though it has the same obnxiousness for a very young driver (sorry!) but at least it's a better car...

Then the TSX - well, of course it's naturally the best choice here! LOL It's low key, sporty and yet refined. It's got the most luxurious cabin of these three, unless you get tons of options added on the other ones. Also, the rarity of the car will give it more of a "wow" factor among your friends, right?
Old 02-04-2004, 09:41 PM
UK Spec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think TSX is the slowest of the 3
it's the fastest right?
Old 02-04-2004, 09:45 PM
Racer

Ranked

Reliability: IS 300, TSX, MB C230 (TSX is still a new model year and Toyota has a slight edge in the competetive reports over Honda anyway, but they're still probably close)
Acceleration performance: IS 300, TSX, C230
Looks (IMO): MB C230 sedan, TSX, IS 300

I don't know enough about the features of each to compare off the top of my head. I didn't even consider the MB or Lexus when I went shopping because the TSX was already at the top of my range. The TSX definitely wins in value, and has been winning entry luxury comparisons left and right.

Note that acceleration isn't all there is to performance. The TSX handles very crisply and reportedly feels more connected to the road than the IS 300 (I haven't test driven an IS 300).
Old 02-04-2004, 10:20 PM
Race Director

Forget Tsx and c230, I would get a used 2000-02 Audi S4, now that would be a beast!!

I like Tsx, cause I bought one, but if I was a little older I would buy a new 04 Audi S4 and you'd beat a beemer, get close to an AMG benz, and kill any Lexus Is300-Gs300, maybe Gs430.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:32 PM
Burning Brakes

if you like to drive and service is important to you, get the MB or Lexus. If you want to save money and don't drive spirtedly much and iffy customer service is acceptable but just want some features then save your money and get the TSX.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:36 PM
4th Gear

Smile

Thank you for your help so far. I've posted this on a Lexus IS forum sight. They seem to have a different view on this, but I appreciate this forums more open views and also not as biased responses. I am still considering the sedan version, but I'm not so sure. I've been doing some research and the C-Class seems to have a very bad reliabilty issue. I guess even MB admits that the C-Class isn't that great. I'm really considering any car in the entry-luxury class. I'm not to say that I would prefer to opt for the new TL. It's really quite nice and my parents like the interior and the exterior plus the added standard features that both the TL and the TSX have. Options on the Kompressor sedan to almost equal the TSX in features adds up to about 37K, minus the navigation system. I did find thought that the TSX had an above average system in comparison to the Lexus. The ride and interior dimensions seem to be for a teen though (the IS), it almost seems to youthful in its' looks. I'm really not biased and as long as I don't have to spend most of my time with a loaner, instead of my car. I'd really like to see myself in the TSX. I'm always w/ friends and I'm not about to sacrifice room for an unreliable car like the MB or the very small IS. Would anyone opt to get the 325i or 330i for their TSX or TL? Thanks.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:42 PM
Racer

well.. you can choose between BMW 3 , TSX or TL. cause MB is for "mature" peopels.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:57 PM
04 remembrance

pros:

c230coupe: merdedez benz, simple yet stylish, reliability, rwd
tsx: reliability, refined, excellent interior design
is300: i6, the most aggressive out of the 3 you are considering, rwd

cons:
c230coupe: creaks, two-door (if you're looking for practicality)
tsx: honestly, there's nothing bad about this car ;D, oh it's a fwd.
is300: design, design, design.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:57 PM
Cruisin'

MB is for old timers/ignorant people who still think mercedes makes their cars in germany. hell if that was the case (and chrysler had no part in that once great company) MB would still be one of the best quality cars made.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:59 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Would anyone opt to get the 325i or 330i for their TSX or TL? Thanks.
I love my car, but yes - in a straight up trade I'd do it (325i for TSX). I don't think there's a $7k difference in performance between them though, hence my choice.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:14 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

hmm... I don't equate the IS w/ girls. Like someone earlier said, its a car for guys to hookup.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:26 AM
4th Gear

Alexia, did you ever consider the Infiniti G35? If so, what didn't you like about it compared to your 3 narrowed down choices?
Old 02-05-2004, 12:32 AM
WOOT!

325...no. 330, maybe. m3? hell yes.

as far as the IS goes....i did like the car overall, but the instrument panel was once of the reasons why i didn't purchase it. it was suppose to have a redesign coming out and couldn't wait...not sure if it was suppose to be the 04 model. if so, then maybe??

can't really comment about the reliability of either. some will tell you about the problems that they have had with the TSX has, but i haven't had any since i picked it up (~18K miles). some ppl have gotten tired of the problems and traded it in. a friend has an 03 IS, and it has been in the shop more times than i can count. it's pretty much a toss up there.

i suppose another thing you might want to consider is where you're going to be driving it...because of snow/ice. hell, on wet pavement he spun a 240 by accident.

i'd recommend driving both back to back and try to decide which you like better...
Old 02-05-2004, 02:41 AM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
If I had a whole lotta change in my couch, I would've seriously considered the 325xi (not a big fan of red guages, but I can adapt) A few more couches and I'll jump up to the 330

I thought about trading in for a TL, till I found out it has no rear folding seats Though I still like the TSX styling better

TSX had everything I wanted for the price I could afford, interior is nice and has a luxurious yet sporty feel and it's very roomy considering it's classified as a compact car.

Definately test drive each car you're considering, cause I walked away from the Mazda6s after a test drive...I took a second test drive just to be sure
Old 02-05-2004, 09:55 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Money is not the issue for me, and I still chose the TSX (but haven't bought one yet) out of all those cars mentioned. Of course, I'm 30 and not 18.

At one point early on I was all set to get the MB to replace my Integra hatchback. But then I learned that MB is crap nowdays compared to 90% of the other carmakers. Sexy but trashy (which, in cars, is not good).

If money is not the issue, you should consider also the G35coupe. Otherwise the TSx if you want a 4dr or a 330ci if you want a 2dr sedan. There is no reason to get the current 325 unless you need to have a BMW badge because the TSX offers 90% of the performance, 100% of the options (each car offers a few things the other doesn't, but it'll cost you on the BMW), at 70% of the price.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by vitocorleone
Money is not the issue for me, and I still chose the TSX (but haven't bought one yet) out of all those cars mentioned. Of course, I'm 30 and not 18.

At one point early on I was all set to get the MB to replace my Integra hatchback. But then I learned that MB is crap nowdays compared to 90% of the other carmakers. Sexy but trashy (which, in cars, is not good).

If money is not the issue, you should consider also the G35coupe. Otherwise the TSx if you want a 4dr or a 330ci if you want a 2dr sedan. There is no reason to get the current 325 unless you need to have a BMW badge because the TSX offers 90% of the performance, 100% of the options (each car offers a few things the other doesn't, but it'll cost you on the BMW), at 70% of the price.
And 100% of the driving fun they drive like totally different beasts...the TSX is more agile has better brakes and a bit faster)... and the BMW drives like a KIA...especially the cornering:P

Old 02-05-2004, 01:31 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally posted by gilboman
And 100% of the driving fun they drive like totally different beasts...the TSX is more agile has better brakes and a bit faster)... and the BMW drives like a KIA...especially the cornering:P

Looks like you finally starting to come around Gilbo. :P
Old 02-05-2004, 01:43 PM
Pro

but only about 60% of the driving fun they drive like totally different beasts...the TSX drives more like my old lude (a bit more agile but worse brakes and a bit slower)... and the BMW drives like a BMW...especially the cornering
The 325i sure isn't more fun on those 20-30 days out of the year that its stuck in snowy parking lots. RWD is simply not an option for those of us living in non-CA/FL climates. If you go for the AWD 325xi, you might as well get an A4 Quattro for less money and better fuel economy. The only bimmer I would have considered is the 330xi, but then its $14k+ more than the TSX, plus terrible gas mileage and worse reliability.

Driving 'fun' is a subjective thing; I had alot more fun on my TSX test drive than my BMW 325i test drive, due to the TSX's slick 6 speed mated to such a rev-happy engine. Sure, the BMW handles better at the corning limits, but 95% of my (and most people's) driving occurs on interstates and city streets, not the Autobahn.

I also don't think I could deal with the stigmas that come with BWM/MB ownership. I don't hobnob at the coutry club sipping martinis sharing golf exploits with the other yuppies. With an Acura, all you are paying for is a Honda with a few performance upgrades and a better warranty, not a logo on the grille.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:57 PM
cmf
ATCer

3 series beemers are junk. If you're gonna get a BMW you have to go with M3 or start with a 5 series.
Everybody and their brother owns a 3 series. The TSX and IS are not as common on the road as a 3 series. At least around here, and I live in the middle of nowhere! I think that makes the car twice as fun, because you're always cracking necks by making people look at your car to see what it is. And when you remove the badging, you really confuse them.
I think you are on the right path not going for the Benz and thinking IS or TSX.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:01 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

What are you two so upset about? I think you should re-read Gilbo's last post
Old 02-05-2004, 03:04 PM
cmf
ATCer

One more thing, have you considered the Audi A4. Get the 1.8t and you can go endless routes with that car and it looks cool too. If the cash was there, I would pick that over the TSX, IS, 3 series, and Benz. Just my .02
Old 02-05-2004, 03:11 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by cmf
Audi A4. Get the 1.8t and you can go endless routes with that car
What do you mean by that exactly? Its reliable?
Old 02-05-2004, 03:16 PM
cmf
ATCer

reliable, and that car has probably the greatest potential for upgrades in regards to speed and looks! Comes stock with a turbo, what more could you ask for. By time you drop as much money in the A4 as it would be to install turbo in any of those other cars, your A4 would be melting tires daily!
Old 02-05-2004, 03:46 PM
4th Gear

G35 Sedan, I'm not so sure...

I've been in a few G35 Sedans and personally they aren't what I'm looking for. By parents were proud owner of a 03' MB E500. It was in the shop 3 times in about 7-8 months and my parents calle it quits. They had a 3.5RL before that and that never went to get fixed other than the usual oil changes and stuff. They did think a 58K dollar car should have that many problems and also have flimsy pieces inside. They just happened to trade it in for a 04' BMW 545i. I'm not to great on just having bimmers. They're nice, but i'm sure that's not what I want. I think I'm going for the new TL. It's more of what I want and it's better overall in the exterior and interior than most/all cars in this class. Thanks for your help!!!!! Greatly appreciated!
Old 02-05-2004, 04:33 PM
4th Gear

Originally posted by cmf
reliable, and that car has probably the greatest potential for upgrades in regards to speed and looks! Comes stock with a turbo, what more could you ask for. By time you drop as much money in the A4 as it would be to install turbo in any of those other cars, your A4 would be melting tires daily!
Although, I do like the A4 looks and turbo, the A4 (both 4-cyl and 6-cyl) were ranked worse than average reliablity by Consumer Reports Online.
Old 02-05-2004, 05:59 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
I love the looks of the Audi A4, but that 1.8T engine is just TOO SLOW! The car is even heavier than the TSX and it's way underpowered. I test drove it once and never went back to the Audi dealership...

As much as I loved the BMW 3 series, I will only buy the AWD versions because of where I live (think SNOW!). Also, I wanted the wagon because the sedan trunk is just miniscule. Unfortunately, the 325xi wagon is so slow (0-60mph - 9 sec per BMW brochure!) that the Edmunds.com review totally slammed the car. It would have been great if the wagon had the 3.0L engine.

Alexia, you should test drive the TSX and TL back to back before making any decision. The two cars are very different. Though the TSX is less powerful than the TL, the TSX handling is much sharper and sportier. The TSX also feels very nimble and responsive, more so than the TL. I personally like the styling of the TSX better too. Still, the interior luxury features of the TL are very tempting. Test drive both and let us know how you like them.
Old 02-05-2004, 06:18 PM
Intermediate

Re: G35 Sedan, I'm not so sure...

[I'm going for the new TL. It's more of what I want and it's better overall in the exterior and interior than most/all cars in this class. Thanks for your help!!!!! Greatly appreciated! [/B]
Smart decision.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by ostrich
I love the looks of the Audi A4, but that 1.8T engine is just TOO SLOW! The car is even heavier than the TSX and it's way underpowered. I test drove it once and never went back to the Audi dealership...

As much as I loved the BMW 3 series, I will only buy the AWD versions because of where I live (think SNOW!). Also, I wanted the wagon because the sedan trunk is just miniscule. Unfortunately, the 325xi wagon is so slow (0-60mph - 9 sec per BMW brochure!) that the Edmunds.com review totally slammed the car. It would have been great if the wagon had the 3.0L engine.

Alexia, you should test drive the TSX and TL back to back before making any decision. The two cars are very different. Though the TSX is less powerful than the TL, the TSX handling is much sharper and sportier. The TSX also feels very nimble and responsive, more so than the TL. I personally like the styling of the TSX better too. Still, the interior luxury features of the TL are very tempting. Test drive both and let us know how you like them.
$300 chip upgrade for the 1.8T and you will be ripping up new TL's
Old 02-05-2004, 08:40 PM
Race Director

No, not the A4, please, get a used S4!!
Old 02-05-2004, 08:56 PM
Cruisin' the Azine's

Originally posted by ostrich
Couldn't have said it better myself!!

The TL has a more compliant ride than the TSX. So if you are big on comfort vs. handling the TL may suit you better. I felt more energetic in the TSX than I did in the TL. To me the TL says "settled down" while the TSX speaks "young at heart".

Good luck!
Old 02-05-2004, 10:59 PM
Racer

Oh shit, you kept it!? What did you do with the poor sales guy who came with you?

Quick Reply: Question, TSX or C230 Kompressor?