question regarding coolant

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 01:43 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question regarding coolant

Hello, my TSX 2006 its on its last leg and I am now unable to keep up with the repair costs. I have decided to keep the car running by patching or dealing with basic leaks at least until december when I can get a newer car.

My issue now is I have a coolant leak, small one but still a leak and I have no idea what to do or with what to top out the reservoir . It has what seems to be blue coolant in it , would it be more troublesome to buy cheap coolar such as Zerex 675130 Engine Coolant to top it off? is it hard to do a flush on the system by yourself with little to no tools?
Old 02-27-2020, 06:43 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
There are only so many areas where coolant can leak from. Try drying out the engine bay as best you can and then running the engine to see where it's coming from. Get a flashlight and thoroughly check around and underneath to see where it drips from. A flush would be unnecessary until the leak has been fixed. 50/50 pre mixed prestone will suffice.
Old 02-28-2020, 03:10 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CL9oem
There are only so many areas where coolant can leak from. Try drying out the engine bay as best you can and then running the engine to see where it's coming from. Get a flashlight and thoroughly check around and underneath to see where it drips from. A flush would be unnecessary until the leak has been fixed. 50/50 pre mixed prestone will suffice.
I found the leak after opening the hood after a long day after I smelled a small sweet scent coming from the front. The mechanic said that the leak is on the from the upper outlet and says that I need to replace , about 315$ just in labor..

Also I just realized that whoever installed the radiator reservoir is on the wrong side, the max and min indicator are facing the front, level seems to be a bit lower than the MIN , so I plan to top it out . Attached is a picture of my reservoir. On a side note, is it easy to take out the reservoir? I need to turn it to the correct side. So you think it should be no problem to top it out with cheap coolant in the meantime?

TSX 2006 reservoir

TSX 2006 reservoir installed facing the wrong side.
Old 02-28-2020, 07:01 PM
Advanced

I suggest you try going to another shop and getting a quote for replacing a radiator. Google reviews helped me find a good family owned shop in my area. $300+ labor cost for a radiator replacement is a rip off imo. Best to get the thermostat replaced as well while that job is being done.

I wouldn't use anything less than prestone coolant- even for topping up. These cars deserve proper fluids and care. Check majestic acura . com for oem part numbers, pricing and diagrams if you're ever wondering about something.

From the looks of it, the reservoir is held on by two bolts on each side. Give the outside a good clean with simple green or a degreaser while you have it out. Rinse the inside and reinstall.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:22 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CL9oem
I suggest you try going to another shop and getting a quote for replacing a radiator. Google reviews helped me find a good family owned shop in my area. $300+ labor cost for a radiator replacement is a rip off imo. Best to get the thermostat replaced as well while that job is being done.

I wouldn't use anything less than prestone coolant- even for topping up. These cars deserve proper fluids and care. Check majestic acura . com for oem part numbers, pricing and diagrams if you're ever wondering about something.

From the looks of it, the reservoir is held on by two bolts on each side. Give the outside a good clean with simple green or a degreaser while you have it out. Rinse the inside and reinstall.
The mechanic I take it is the cheapest around, I probably heard them wrong but they said about 300$ labor to replace radiator if I bring the part, about 150$ for replacing a bearing also.

About the coolant, https://www.walmart.com/ip/Prestone-...olant/16879961 this would be fine? Replacing the radiator is a priority of course but money is kind of tight so I want to hold off by just putting coolant . the leak is on top on the upper outlet and is small so shouldnt be an issue. TSX parts are hard to get around where I live also which is another issue.
Old 02-29-2020, 12:34 PM
Advanced

Very well. Guess the rate is based on the job itself rather than hourly.

Yeah that coolant will work.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:30 PM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
FYI
It's a bad idea to put off repairs on a leaking cooling system because your $300 repair will turn into $3K repair due to air being suck into the cylinder head. When air gets into the cylinder head then the thermostat can't open due to no coolant flow. Once that happens your looking at a blown head gasket.

Last edited by 01acls; 03-01-2020 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:31 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 01acls
FYI
It's a bad idea to put off repairs on a leaking cooling system because your $300 repair will turn into $3K repair due to air being such into the cylinder head. When air gets into the cylinder head then the thermostat won't open sure to no coolant flow. Once that happens your looking a a blown head gasket.
Mind letting me know how a small leak on the upper outlet leads to this? its 300$ labor only, no idea on price about parts.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:47 PM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
Originally Posted by Mytre
Mind letting me know how a small leak on the upper outlet leads to this? its 300$ labor only, no idea on price about parts.
You can get an oem radiator at Rock Auto for cheap.

2 reason for blown head gasket.

1. The cooling system may not pressurize due to radiator leak. This could limit coolant circulation/heat transfer. When this happens the car will over heat causing a blown head gasket.

2. When engine is cooling off the cooling system will create a vacuum or try too. When this happens, the vacuum will draw air in to the cooling system instead of coolant from the over flow reservoir. And air will replace any coolant that is leaking out. Car will over heat causing a blown head gasket.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:21 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 01acls
You can get an oem radiator at Rock Auto for cheap.

2 reason for blown head gasket.

1. The cooling system may not pressurize due to radiator leak. This could limit coolant circulation/heat transfer. When this happens the car will over heat causing a blown head gasket.

2. When engine is cooling off the cooling system will create a vacuum or try too. When this happens, the vacuum will draw air in to the cooling system instead of coolant from the over flow reservoir. And air will replace any coolant that is leaking out. Car will over heat causing a blown head gasket.
i assume the temp gauge will show the overheat? and been looking at oem radiators lately, I am just trying to save up a bit more to be abel to affor comfortably the labor, will probably hold onto this car until I finish that repair so I can try to sell it anyway. thanks .