Question which car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re:

Seriously dude, I would take that ~$15,000 and buy a nice (non-salvage) used car. When I was 16, I had a car worth $1,000 and it was hot.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:39 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Camden
Seriously dude, I would take that ~$15,000 and buy a nice (non-salvage) used car. When I was 16, I had a car worth $1,000 and it was hot.
seriously i have no prob w/ doing that but its my parents, they bought my sis an Acura legend for 3k and it started having major problems then they got her an Acura TL, 2000. My parents don't want to buy me a car then have to spend a buttload just to keep it going good, so thats they my dad chose a TSX.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Martin
What kind of question is this?

How can we possibly answer it for you?
Opinions are powerful.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wclark
are u retarded? where would u get that idea, im just asking which car? I know the guys can fix it completely. I've seen all that he can do and its extremely impressive. He is gonna cut the entire front end off of the black one and put on a brand new black front end. it will be as good as new

What hes gonna cut off the entire front?? There goes the stiffness of the chasis and safety of that car.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:29 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Powered by Honda
What hes gonna cut off the entire front?? There goes the stiffness of the chasis and safety of that car.
welding it back together is actually stronger than the original hold. but then again i honostly don't think anyone here would know that unless they work on cars in body shops
Old 06-30-2005, 10:31 PM
Burning Brakes

welding it back together is actually stronger than the original hold. but then again i honostly don't think anyone here would know that unless they work on cars in body shops

how?
Old 06-30-2005, 10:41 PM
Decroded piece of crap

from the sound of disproving left and right what we're all saying, you already made up your decision. you wanted our opinion, we say neither. so basically it goes back to your opinions/decision since you're going to be driving the car, not us.

as for color/navi topics, it's been covered over and over again in other threads. try the friendly 'search' feature.

okthxbye.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:39 AM
Got Ramen?

seriously i have no prob w/ doing that but its my parents, they bought my sis an Acura legend for 3k and it started having major problems then they got her an Acura TL, 2000. My parents don't want to buy me a car then have to spend a buttload just to keep it going good, so thats they my dad chose a TSX.
so wut makes u think buying a salvaged car will not have any problems down the road? just get a tC or something new but not so expensive. ur only 16. don't get a tsx cuz u just have to have one
Old 07-01-2005, 09:09 AM
TSX

:whocares: :gheyhug: :gheyfight:
Old 07-01-2005, 10:53 AM
Superfan

No offence but it seems that all of you don't REALLY know what ur talking about. Do u know how big the business of selling salvage cars is? The guy who we bought the car from is on par to sell 500 salvage title cars this year. So honestly i can get like 22k for the black one after fixed.
Uhhh..... in good condition an 04 w/navi, 30k miles and a clean title is 21,870 private party value blue book, good luck getting someone to pay you 22k for one that has been salvaged. Honestly, why would anyone pay 22k for a totalled 1 year old car with 30k miles when a brand new one can be had for 27-28k? Also, the guy you are buying the car from is selling them before they are fixed up to people who either want to fix them or (what i would guess would be most cases) use them for parts.

What you really need to decide is that since a "normal" one is ~22k, and you can get a salvaged one for ~14k is it worth the risk of having a car like that to save the 8k. For me I would say no, since you have no idea what its going to cost to fix any problems that come up, when they do how long you could be without a car while yours is being fixed and if it were to get totalled again, what the insurance company will pay out. I'm sure the insurance company wouldnt pay out more than it cost you to get it off the salvage lot, any money in repairs is gone. That and all the safety issues since you said the front of the car needs to be cut off and re-welded on, even if it will end up stronger as you say (which i have a hard time believeing) the car's safey systems were all designed to work together and assume the car's original design, changing that balance could cost you dearly in a major accident. That being said, maybe it's worth the risk for you, but make sure you understand what you're getting into.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:05 AM
No longer in denial

But hey everyone, he's 16 and he knows everything!
Old 07-01-2005, 02:02 PM
I'm a llama :(

If you look at picture #2, the car looks really bent out of shape. It still doesn't look bad enough for them to total it out, but since they felt the damage increased 50% (?) of the value of the car, then it must be some serious damage.

Get what you want. It doen't matter if you get the white one or the black one they are both salvaged. It seems like the black one is the one you like. 30k miles is nothing on a (non accident) Honda. I know you're going to end up with one of them, so get the one with the least damage.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:17 PM
Racer

it kinda sounds like you guys have had really bad experiences with body shop guys. He is taking the Original OEM parts of the tsx and taking the bad ones off, replacing them with the good brand new ones, and then its fixed. Is that so hard to understand? EVERYTHING is going back the way it was when it came out of the Acura factory. Once it gets appraised it will then no longer have a salvage title.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:45 PM
Racer

OK...
Once upon a time I was 17 and had a nice brand new car.
Once upon a time I slammed the car into another car and had about 6k worth of repairs for it. The car ran fine for about a year... Then my car broke down hardcore. black smoke coming out the exhaust and hood of my car. It was awesome. Turns out a sensor that was replaced after the accident wasn't reading temperature of my car correctly. (It always looked A-OK to me)
My car ran out of anti-freeze and the temperature gauge still read middle of the road when in fact it was horribly overheating. The car overheated to the point that a spark plug exploded off and went straight into the piston causing lots and lots of engine damage.
There are all kinds of little things that change when a car is repaired after a major accident. No matter how good the repair was initially, it's NEVER EVER as good as stock, especially after a major accident like those the cars you speak of have been through.
I've been in your situation and have been driving a car that I smashed in for years afterwards. After that big problem, the car has been driving great. BUT, there have been some problems along the way due to the accident and the repair.
What everyone here is trying to say is that there WILL be problems mechanically that will crop up and you should be ready for them. You might save now on the purchase and initial repair, but there WILL be costs down the road that are a direct effect of the accident and as such, you should them add them to the hypothetical cost of the vehicle.
It might be 14k or 18k NOW before future repairs, but after future repair costs, it might run you just as much (or more) as getting a used car that's not a salvage title with the same amount of mileage.
I guarantee it'll cost you the same as a used car that's not a salvage title in the long run.
Do yourself the favor and get a used TSX that's not a salvage title. Same cost, less hassle.
If you don't have the cash for a TSX then maybe you should go for something a little cheaper and get a nice entry-luxury car as your second car in the future. (That's my current plan) You won't have the nicer car NOW, but you'll appreciate it more since you've had worse. As grandfatherly as that sounds, you'll thank me for it in the future. You can't appreciate great cars unless you've experienced mediocre (or worse) cars.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:22 PM
VSA Rocks

At age 16, why not an Integra or used RSX w/o salvage?
Old 07-01-2005, 03:27 PM
Got Ramen?

it kinda sounds like you guys have had really bad experiences with body shop guys. He is taking the Original OEM parts of the tsx and taking the bad ones off, replacing them with the good brand new ones, and then its fixed. Is that so hard to understand? EVERYTHING is going back the way it was when it came out of the Acura factory. Once it gets appraised it will then no longer have a salvage title.
no longer have a salvage title? that's like saying a criminal who is freed of jail gets a clean title on his record regardless of his past offenses. no matter what, it's still a salvaged car no matter how "stock" u fix it to be. that title will remain on there for the life of the car. but if u want to go for it, then go for it. it's ur car and ur (parent's) money
Old 07-01-2005, 04:29 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by theElio
OK...
Once upon a time I was 17 and had a nice brand new car.
Once upon a time I slammed the car into another car and had about 6k worth of repairs for it. The car ran fine for about a year... Then my car broke down hardcore. black smoke coming out the exhaust and hood of my car. It was awesome. Turns out a sensor that was replaced after the accident wasn't reading temperature of my car correctly. (It always looked A-OK to me)
My car ran out of anti-freeze and the temperature gauge still read middle of the road when in fact it was horribly overheating. The car overheated to the point that a spark plug exploded off and went straight into the piston causing lots and lots of engine damage.
There are all kinds of little things that change when a car is repaired after a major accident. No matter how good the repair was initially, it's NEVER EVER as good as stock, especially after a major accident like those the cars you speak of have been through.
I've been in your situation and have been driving a car that I smashed in for years afterwards. After that big problem, the car has been driving great. BUT, there have been some problems along the way due to the accident and the repair.
What everyone here is trying to say is that there WILL be problems mechanically that will crop up and you should be ready for them. You might save now on the purchase and initial repair, but there WILL be costs down the road that are a direct effect of the accident and as such, you should them add them to the hypothetical cost of the vehicle.
It might be 14k or 18k NOW before future repairs, but after future repair costs, it might run you just as much (or more) as getting a used car that's not a salvage title with the same amount of mileage.
I guarantee it'll cost you the same as a used car that's not a salvage title in the long run.
Do yourself the favor and get a used TSX that's not a salvage title. Same cost, less hassle.
If you don't have the cash for a TSX then maybe you should go for something a little cheaper and get a nice entry-luxury car as your second car in the future. (That's my current plan) You won't have the nicer car NOW, but you'll appreciate it more since you've had worse. As grandfatherly as that sounds, you'll thank me for it in the future. You can't appreciate great cars unless you've experienced mediocre (or worse) cars.
oh ok, everyone was just sayin no and not really explaining
Old 07-01-2005, 04:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TypeRS
no longer have a salvage title? that's like saying a criminal who is freed of jail gets a clean title on his record regardless of his past offenses. no matter what, it's still a salvaged car no matter how "stock" u fix it to be. that title will remain on there for the life of the car. but if u want to go for it, then go for it. it's ur car and ur (parent's) money
well thats what the insurance company said, after it gets appraised it then will be clean, BTW state farm insurance
Old 07-01-2005, 09:08 PM

It's not about bad experiences. No matter how good a body shop is, there is no way they can return the car the way it was from the factory. There will always be some problem with it and it will never be quite the same again. And don't talk to us like we're stupid. People are trying to give you good advise and you just ignore it. If you came here for justification of your purchase then you came to the wrong place.

If the insurance company told you the title will be clear after the car is fixed then you need to find another insurance company. If that was the case then salvaged titles wouldn't exist.

I already told you to get the one with the least damage because you're so adamant about getting one of these cars. You've already been told that it's an unwise decision to buy a salvaged title car so there's no use repeating it. Just buy your car and STFU.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:00 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Motohip
It's not about bad experiences. No matter how good a body shop is, there is no way they can return the car the way it was from the factory. There will always be some problem with it and it will never be quite the same again. And don't talk to us like we're stupid. People are trying to give you good advise and you just ignore it. If you came here for justification of your purchase then you came to the wrong place.

If the insurance company told you the title will be clear after the car is fixed then you need to find another insurance company. If that was the case then salvaged titles wouldn't exist.

I already told you to get the one with the least damage because you're so adamant about getting one of these cars. You've already been told that it's an unwise decision to buy a salvaged title car so there's no use repeating it. Just buy your car and STFU.
holy crap u guys are like kindergarteners who know how to cuss. Can anyone actually give some advice thats worth reading. How can a salvage car not return to stock even though its been COMPLETELY fixed? There is absolutely no damage to the mechanics of the black one. Its just sheet metal, like that guy said before it does nothing to the performance or running ability of the car.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:46 PM
No-navi, yo

"Get the 04 white TSX in the pictures that you posted. I think it is great looking car!!"

Here, wclark. Is that what you want to hear? Didn't I just give you the best advice among all the posts?? What is the prize I get??? A hug from you????

I really should stay out of this thread, but here I am again.

About the "salvage" title. I am no expert in any areas relating to cars, but I think it makes sense that it's illegal to drive a "salvage" car on the street. And that is what State Farm insurance company means by no-longer-a-salvage-car once you pick the salvage car up from the lot and have it fixed to running condition -- it became a working car that had been salvaged before. Howeve, the hisotry of the car stays on the record.

I actually agree it is possible wielding made "it stronger". By "it" I mean the connecting point. You made the point stronger by putting on more metal. But don't you see it offset the whole car's original design?

And I don't know about the car you going to have. Mine is a lot more than sheet metal. Mine has a soul.

By all means, get the salvage car you want off the lot. Seriously, it is the environment-friendly thing to do, and it's your car, your (parents') money. Come think of it, didn't you mention your sister had bad experience with Acura? Maybe you should consider getting a salvaged red Bimmer. I heard they run even better than the new ones after some wielding works. ( I apologize to pick on Bimmers, but just an easy target)
Old 07-01-2005, 11:08 PM
Intermediate

I just skimmed so I'm sorry if it's already been said but another negative on the salvage is I believe any warranty, recalls, etc from Acura is void.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:29 AM
Racer

i'm sorry but i don't think you guys are helping at all... if you want the tsx that bad, then get it... BUT it won't be perfect I assure you, no matter HOW good the body shop is, if you tore something in half put it back together it won't be the same, I'm sorry but you have no offense to that. Well good luck with your TSX, because we want you to get tsx as well, but not salvaged one. They are just trying to give you a good advise.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:13 AM
Superfan

If its so easy and cheap to put it back the way it was, ask yourself why the insurance company of the original owner totalled out the car instead of doing that....
Old 07-02-2005, 02:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

You sound like you have no clue what you are talking about I would never take a $17000 chance like that you have no what kind of damage the car has. And why not just get a used TL like your sister TL is better than TSX IMO. I would never buy a salvaged car, too much can go wrong.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

holy crap u guys are like kindergarteners who know how to cuss. Can anyone actually give some advice thats worth reading. How can a salvage car not return to stock even though its been COMPLETELY fixed? There is absolutely no damage to the mechanics of the black one. Its just sheet metal, like that guy said before it does nothing to the performance or running ability of the car.
A salvaged car is never COMPLETELY fixed, too much you dont know about, take everyones advice and buy something else.
Old 07-02-2005, 03:38 AM
Burning Brakes

salvage title become rebuilt title.....
anyway....30K is alot for a 1 yr car, so i'd get the white one cuz it got less mileage....

but i wouldn't buy a car that's got hit from the front end.
Even engine is not mess up.....the strut might be.....well if you trust your dad's friend can fix this thing 100% then do it.....
Old 07-02-2005, 03:42 AM
Burning Brakes

You kinda need to use your brain on this one

here's the logic :
if a salvage car is fixed and become a stock acura certified car with clean record it would be selling at 25,000. Then no one will be insured to purchase a used car.

salvaged car is salvaged...You rebuilt it....then it's rebuilt it does not become STOCK.

hey if you trust your dad's friend.....why you asking our opinion?
just ask his.....since he can fix anything so shit just buy a crap crushed car.
Old 07-02-2005, 03:46 AM
Burning Brakes

are u retarded? where would u get that idea, im just asking which car? I know the guys can fix it completely. I've seen all that he can do and its extremely impressive. He is gonna cut the entire front end off of the black one and put on a brand new black front end. it will be as good as new
yah man do it
i support you

thinking - this car gonna fall apart in 2 yrs hahahahahha

no really do it man
Old 07-02-2005, 11:33 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by joshrsmith2411
You sound like you have no clue what you are talking about I would never take a $17000 chance like that you have no what kind of damage the car has. And why not just get a used TL like your sister TL is better than TSX IMO. I would never buy a salvaged car, too much can go wrong.
well i actually hate the design of the older TLs, my dad has an 05 TL which I love, anyway the price after repair isn't 17k
Old 07-03-2005, 01:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

well i actually hate the design of the older TLs, my dad has an 05 TL which I love, anyway the price after repair isn't 17k
Ok however much it costs its not worth it IMO, you dont really know what you are getting listen to the masses dont do it. And my tl-s looks sick!
Old 07-03-2005, 03:19 AM
Decroded piece of crap

listen to us, go on any forum and they will tell you the same thing. don't bother with the broken vehicle. why buy something broken when you can get something new? it's like buying a animal that has been dropped out of a 80 story window, no matter how well you put it back together it's not going to be the same.

I'd take that money, get a scion tC and put some nice upgrades on it. maybe even a used RSX, both look sportier than the tsx anyway. at 16, having ANY car is a total LUXURY. don't be stupid.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:21 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by mrkon
listen to us, go on any forum and they will tell you the same thing. don't bother with the broken vehicle. why buy something broken when you can get something new? it's like buying a animal that has been dropped out of a 80 story window, no matter how well you put it back together it's not going to be the same.

I'd take that money, get a scion tC and put some nice upgrades on it. maybe even a used RSX, both look sportier than the tsx anyway. at 16, having ANY car is a total LUXURY. don't be stupid.
well im not into the "fast" cars or whatever, I want a 4 door. My dad doesn't want a 2 door either.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:43 AM
Overlord

well thats what the insurance company said, after it gets appraised it then will be clean, BTW state farm insurance
Somebody is LYING to you. Once a VIN has a salvage title, it will ALWAYS have a salvage title.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:51 AM
Overlord

Let me rephrase:

Once it has a salvage title, it will never have a CLEAN title.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:10 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Beoshingus
Let me rephrase:

Once it has a salvage title, it will never have a CLEAN title.
well what the heck, they suck.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:13 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
well im not into the "fast" cars or whatever, I want a 4 door. My dad doesn't want a 2 door either.
Why would the guy with the white one get rid of it when it was brand new?? Because he knew that the wreck was so bad that it was never going to be right again. Take everyone's advice and get something else that is not going to give you troubles down the road.

What about getting an Accord V6 4-door?? When it all boils down, the TSX is an Accord on steroids minus the V6. And this way, you won't have to worry about the car being a POS. That's what I would do.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:49 PM
Decroded piece of crap

get a camry.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:49 PM

well what the heck, they suck.
Now he gets it.
Old 07-04-2005, 04:40 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Sclass88
Why would the guy with the white one get rid of it when it was brand new?? Because he knew that the wreck was so bad that it was never going to be right again. Take everyone's advice and get something else that is not going to give you troubles down the road.

What about getting an Accord V6 4-door?? When it all boils down, the TSX is an Accord on steroids minus the V6. And this way, you won't have to worry about the car being a POS. That's what I would do.
Whats POS? anyway v6 would hit me hard on insurance.

Quick Reply: Question which car?