Question about the Sports Mode on the First gen TSX

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 08:57 PM
Je t'aime...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about the Sports Mode on the First gen TSX

Uhh, my cousin recently bought a 5speed auto Acura TSX. He asked me the question, but I didn't know so I decide to ask people here.

Question: When you're on sports mode on the Acura TSX. Do you have to let off your foot off the gas to up shift? Like if it was a regular manual? Or can you just keep your foot on the gas and keep gassing the car and up shift on sports mode?

Thanks in advance for people that answer. =)
Old 02-28-2010, 09:05 PM
Cruisin'

I recently just got my TSX and did a lot of research in here about the SportShift and no, you do not have to let off of the gas to shift. I would search for specific info on this mode which helped on how to use it properly. It's actually pretty sweet when you get used to it!
Old 02-28-2010, 09:40 PM
Site Lurker, Rare poster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You don't have to lift your foot off the gas as said. The manual will explain when to shift in general when in sports mode, the most economic. Best thing to do is to just practice with it. The nice thing is that it will automatically downshift for you so you don't stall out as if in a manual transmission.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:44 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,517 Likes on 1,183 Posts
Additional sport shift functions:

- When accelerating the 5AT sport shift (SS) will stay in that gear until you hit the fuel cutoff. Mostly for 1st and 2nd gear, if you hit the fuel cut off in 3rd gear you will be going +100 mph.

- SS will only allow you to down shift only within the normal operational range of engine rpms. Example: you can't downshift at 85mph to 1st gear using SS; the 5AT will select the lowest acceptable gear like 3rd.

- I never tested this out because we don't get snow in Albuquerque. During icy conditions, you can put SS in 2nd gear at a stop to assist you if 1st gear is activating the VSA system.

- You can you use SS as an engine braking system for traveling downhill to slow yourself down.

- SS is perfect for holding a gear if you traveling up hill or on switchbacks. 3rd gear is perfect for me on switchbacks in the mountains.

- You can switch between SS and Auto while in cruise control. You can select a lower gear to maintain your speed if you hit a steep incline.

- You can switch between SS and auto at any time or any speed while.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:48 PM
Instructor

Those that are accustomed to a manual transmission will likely find the SS to be awkward and unsatisfying until they get used to it -- it took me about three weeks.

The fastest shifts, and best performance, is obtained by staying on the throttle. I will often push the throttle to the floor and not let up until I am in 5th gear. You can control the rate of acceleration by shift points. Shift at 6500 to 7000 for 1st and 2nd gear and you will get good acceleration. Shift at 3500 and the acceleration is much slower. I think at 7000 in 3rd, you are over 100 MPH -- so you want to shift much earlier than 7000 once in 3rd. The top speed is reached in 4th gear; rather than 5th.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:37 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
Additional sport shift functions:

- I never tested this out because we don't get snow in Albuquerque. During icy conditions, you can put SS in 2nd gear at a stop to assist you if 1st gear is activating the VSA system.

- You can you use SS as an engine braking system for traveling downhill to slow yourself down.
You can use the Sequential Sport Shift with the VSA system to your benefit in snowy conditions, I've tried it and the reduced torque in 2nd gear prevents slipping of the wheels accelerating from stop position.

I prefer to use the Grade Logic Control and leave it in 5AT mode when traveling downhill. It downshifts automatically.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:40 AM
10th Gear

I like it
Old 08-05-2010, 03:01 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't remember even using it in my old TL.... maybe once or twice when I first got it.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:35 PM
Racer

I believe the SS mode in the TSX is just right. The shifting pattern is the proper way to control the car; up for up shift and down for down shift. It is not counter-intuitive like ones used by other car companies although with some practice anyone can get used to the other way. That is just my opinion. I like that it can hold one gear ALL DAY LONG if that's what the driver chooses to do and I think that is another great feature of the system.
All in all I think many companies in the industry can learn alot from the TSX. It is a well engineered car that did not go over board too much with design or being overly complex. I know it is a off topic but take a look athe dash and the button layout. Simple and effective with all of the things people want and not much else (6 CD in the dash, mp3 hookup, not too many buttons in total, and senior citizen could figure it out). I mean seriously... do companies look at their dash layouts before the start making these vehicles at the factory. Really; some of them are a complete joke- and that may include other Honda/Acura models. Just my 2 cents.