A question about automatic shift "gate"

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 01:42 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
A question about automatic shift "gate"

I have an Acura Legend with automatic shift where you squeeze a button and shift. How do you like the gated shifter in the TSX? Is it easy to get used to? A complaint: my Legend shifter always slides down to D3 and then I have to nudge up to D4. My wifes Odyssey does about the same thing. Guess Honda likes to default to D3. I hope that this is not the case with the TSX. Thanks for any input. Joe
Old 09-08-2003, 02:17 AM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It isn't the case with the TSX. Both of my last two cars (Honda Accord Coupes) were easy to get into D3 instead of D4. In the TSX, the shifter goes down to D4, and you would have to do a bit more work to get it into D3.

The zig-zag shifter is a bit complex, and you have to get used to it, but I've come to really like it.
Old 09-08-2003, 02:23 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The gated shifter is much like the one introduced in the 97-01 Honda Prelude. You move the shifter to the left into the 'gate' and push the shifter up (+) for upshifting, and down (-) for downshifting. It's similar to the conventional automatic with the button and going from 1-2-D3-D4 BUT this is a much safer way of upshifting and downshifting without hurting your transmission. The ECU also won't let you downshift if it feels that doing so will get your RPM revs too high, saving your engine and your transmission.
The only problem I had with the gated shifter on the TSX was the lack of 'rev-matching' the driver could do when downshifting. If you downshift, is it very likely that a beginner will 'jolt/jerk' the car a bit. In my 99 Prelude, and also on the 3.2TL Type-S, you can downshift, and blip the throttle a bit as you're entering a turn, eliminating the 'jolt/jerk' completely and having your RPM's high so you can take a turn a lot faster. I tried on the TSX, and either had problems timing it right, or it just wasn't possible.
(edit)
In the case you were asking about the zig-zag shape of the shifter, I think Honda did it so it's easier to upshift than downshift? Maybe I'm used to it on my Prelude, but once you depress the brake and shift it to the right (out of P), it's really easy to get to D4.
Old 09-08-2003, 03:07 AM
Houston we have a problem

I think Mercedes is the first to come up with this sort of design. I certainly won't sing praise to the designer. I have not driven a 5AT TSX, but I drove a TL, and that thing is really crappy. And in TSX's case, they should totally forget about having D4, D3, and just put an S mode plus the manumatic gate.

legendguy, I think for the TSX, people would have no problem shifting into D and when they want some control, they will push it sideways into the manumatic shiftgate.

To answer your question, I think it's not hard to get used to, but really hard to come to like it.
Old 09-08-2003, 07:24 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks to all responding. I mainly wanted to know if you normally fall into Drive (D5 I guess in this case) when puting into gear and you answered my question affirmatively. These forums are so cool!
Joe
Old 09-08-2003, 03:16 PM
Racer

Originally posted by legendguy
Thanks to all responding. I mainly wanted to know if you normally fall into Drive (D5 I guess in this case) when puting into gear and you answered my question affirmatively. These forums are so cool!
Joe
the zig-zag shifter kicks ass. i can just pull the shift lever as far back as I can and i'm in D. D3 requires you to go down all the way and move right a little.

When I drive the 03 accord now, i pull the gear slecetor all the way back and i'm in D3, TSX is much better.
Old 09-08-2003, 03:28 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally posted by TSXautoXer
I think Mercedes is the first to come up with this sort of design. I certainly won't sing praise to the designer. I have not driven a 5AT TSX, but I drove a TL, and that thing is really crappy. And in TSX's case, they should totally forget about having D4, D3, and just put an S mode plus the manumatic gate.

legendguy, I think for the TSX, people would have no problem shifting into D and when they want some control, they will push it sideways into the manumatic shiftgate.

To answer your question, I think it's not hard to get used to, but really hard to come to like it.
I disagree. The D3 is realy handy. There are times when you don't want to use sportshift, but you do want to lock overdrive out.

The shiftgate on the TSX is kind of complex, but it works well once you figure it out.
Old 09-08-2003, 04:18 PM
My other "car" is a 4x4

darth62- D3 not only locks out overdrive (5th gear) but it also locks out 4th gear. D3 operates like a low-geared 3-speed standard automatic transmission. It shifts up and down automatically but doesn't go higher than 3rd. The SS locks in the selected gear, no matter the engine load (unless the RPM are below engine stall speed).

My only complaint about the shift gate is that it's somewhat difficult to put the car into Reverse from any forward gear, especially SS mode.
Old 09-08-2003, 05:00 PM
Not an Ashtray

D4 and D5 are both overdrive gears. If you stick it in D3, it locks out overdrive and works like a three speed tranny.
Old 09-08-2003, 06:34 PM
My other "car" is a 4x4

Originally posted by darth62
D4 and D5 are both overdrive gears.
Oops, my bad. I didn't realize that.
Old 09-08-2003, 06:55 PM
Not an Ashtray

no worries, dude! I always fine your posts to be super informed and I think that is the closet to a mistake I've ever seen you come.