prob stupid navI question

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 04:28 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
prob stupid navI question

I have been seeing all these people install aftermarket touch screen computer that look great and are super functional

is it not possible to hook up a hard drive or crappy computer to an existing navI to get similiar features such as MP3s through the touch screen and what not.........?
Old 08-18-2003, 05:11 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
yes its possible and is exactly what i am doing! Install should be done this week or next!

933MHZ pc with 60GB Harddrive mounted sirectly next to the navi DVD ROM. mp3s, divx, wireless 802.11, NES emulators....
Old 08-18-2003, 05:20 PM
Pro

I have done a lot of research and have people who have completed these to talk to. Feel free to let me know if u have any question as I am interested in this project too. What are you planning to utilizing as an operating system? I have a diagram for a switch that will shut off the comp properly when turning the ignition off too if interested. Basically I assume you are gonna have a switch to transfer the nav screen over to just comp operations when needed. There are some other ideas like a mini wireless keyboard, remotes...... Plenty of options. Please keep us in the loop or drop me an instant message (MoReace2000) to discuss anythign. I am usually on. Can't wait to see this all set up.
Old 08-18-2003, 06:03 PM
Pro

Do you think your $500 TV thing is a waist? using a comp gives you DVDs, rearview camera could still prob be rigged..... also give MP3 and so forth
Old 08-18-2003, 07:33 PM
Pro

Where are u Rog?
talk to me
what u planning to use as an interface?
Old 08-18-2003, 07:47 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i'm back, i'm back!

To answer your questions...

I will use windows XP Pro as an OS.

I have ssen a few shutdown controllers to wire to the ignition. However a friend of mine designed a 12V regulator shutdown controller that i plan on using. thanks though, mo.

I currently have the avelectronics unit installed and that is how i switch between screen inputs. the PC will just be one of the AV inputs, switched by the remote control.

For controls my initial setup will be to use a IR receiver for play, stop, ff, rr...etc. I already have a USB cable run from the trunk into the center console, and will install a HUB there. I have a touchpad that will reside in the storage compartment when i need mouse commands. i will keep a roll up keyboard in the glove box.

No to me it was worth the $500!! It is plug and play with no cutting wires. and it leaves plenty of room for inputs, including back up camera, which will eventually add.
Old 08-18-2003, 11:02 PM
Pro

Originally posted by RogerPodacter

I currently have the avelectronics unit installed and that is how i switch between screen inputs. the PC will just be one of the AV inputs, switched by the remote control.

For controls my initial setup will be to use a IR receiver for play, stop, ff, rr...etc. I already have a USB cable run from the trunk into the center console, and will install a HUB there. I have a touchpad that will reside in the storage compartment when i need mouse commands. i will keep a roll up keyboard in the glove box.

How many inputs does av modulator have, is there 1 for PC and another left available for future camera install?

I see how the comp will be displayed in the navI screen, but then you have to use a mouse type deal to run MP3? I am not sure if it will work off hand or if modding is needed, but will the touchscreen work the computer if just using the AV inputs? I think it might, but am not sure
Old 08-25-2003, 03:20 PM
Pro

Any updates or news Rog?