Prices for the TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 01:42 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prices for the TSX?

I'm in SoCal and may be in the market for a TSX soon. What kind of prices are you folks getting for the TSX? It sounds like the car is moving fairly well, are most dealers demanding msrp and not budging from it? While I know it may be dependent on region, anybody know if the TSX is particularly in demad in SoCal?
Old 09-14-2003, 08:53 PM
9th Gear

I've been shopping around recently for a SSM/AT/Non-Navi. So far I have been told "MSRP only" by one dealer, and I was given a quote of "$800 off MSRP", by another dealer. Based on what I've been reading on this forum, $800 off MSRP is a pretty good deal.
Old 09-15-2003, 11:33 AM
Advanced

However, there is always some jerk who will tell you he got $2000 off. That is possible (not probable)
Old 09-16-2003, 08:26 AM
Racer

TSX Invoice Prices

Hi,
Just so you have some info, the invoice on the TSX with Navi is $25,967.37 and the non-navi is $24,146.56. I got that from one of the dealer web sites.

I want a CG/MT with Navi, and I'll buy it today if the price is right (I'm willing to pay $1,000 over invoice) No, I'm not a kid, and yes I am serious. Contact me at duugk@charter.net if you are a dealer that is willing to take my offer. No negotiating please. I'm willing to road trip from Omaha to anywhere to pick it up too if necessary.

Old 09-16-2003, 12:04 PM
Advanced

Re: TSX Invoice Prices

Originally posted by duugk
Hi,
Just so you have some info, the invoice on the TSX with Navi is $25,967.37 and the non-navi is $24,146.56. I got that from one of the dealer web sites.

I want a CG/MT with Navi, and I'll buy it today if the price is right (I'm willing to pay $1,000 over invoice) No, I'm not a kid, and yes I am serious. Contact me at duugk@charter.net if you are a dealer that is willing to take my offer. No negotiating please. I'm willing to road trip from Omaha to anywhere to pick it up too if necessary.

Duug, I am not a dealer but I think you would have better luck sending this offer to dealers in your area. I got my TSX two months ago. It all depends on how motiviated the dealers are to sell. I did the same thing. After test driving the car and deciding that I wanted to buy it (I wasn't in a hurry though), I sent emails to 6 delaers in my area offering $2000 below MSRP on either Navi or non-Navi (I was very flexible) as well as having 2 color options. I was also felxible in terms of timing. I told them that I can buy the car right away or wait a few months for it. My buddy who went to the test drive with me thought I was crazy as no dealer was going to accept my offer. 4 out of 6 dealers replied by offering MSRP, one offered $500 below MSRP and one offered $1500 below MSRP. I was able to get it to $1790 below MSRP which was great for me.

It all depends on the current market in you area. Good luck. The car is nice at any price. The invoice price is meaningless. The rather important thing for the dealers is how hot the car is and how well it sells.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:45 PM
Advanced

Yeah, around here in San Diego, most dealers are sticking to MSRP and not budging, demand is pretty high over here. Sounds like you got a great deal with 1800 off MSRP, I wish there was more of those dealerships over here. While demand still seems pretty high, I wonder if it is still staying strong or starting to slip. Hopefully it will start to drop a little so boarderline purchasers like myself can be convinced to buy it.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:53 PM
Racer

I agree with you except for one thing. The meaningless price is MSRP and I believe it is a mistake to negotiate from anything but Invoice. Even at invoice, they make a good profit on the car.

Time is on my side, to quote Mick Jagger. I can't see paying full MSRP on a car that I expect to have to replace all the door speakers and do some extensive Dynamat work. (Not sure what to do if the windows whistle.) You get my point I'm sure.

Don't get me wrong, I want the car, I will buy one, but...when is the question.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:04 PM
More On

......I can't see paying full MSRP on a car that I expect to have to replace all the door speakers and do some extensive Dynamat work. (Not sure what to do if the windows whistle.) You get my point I'm sure......
Not really. The question is, Is the car worth it, all things considered. Yeah, the probable rattles are a minus, but on the other hand there are things about the car that are way better than had been expected, and way better than anyone had a right to expect.

I really don't get this focus that a lot of people have on "MSRP." Some cars go for over MSRP, and the time may come when that will be true of the TSX.

"MSRP" is very much an arbitrary decision by the manufacturer. The question of whether a car deal is worth it depends on a lot of things -- none of which particularly relate to "MSRP." Probably the best criterion is what you would have to pay for comparable cars (plus, of course, what you could get the car for elsewhere). I personally think the TSX would be a good deal even for a couple thousand over MSRP. I'm glad I didn't have to pay it, of course, but if I had to pay that to get the car, I would have.
Old 09-16-2003, 05:13 PM
Advanced

The meaningless price is MSRP...
That statement is generally true if:

1) The car is an American brand, and/or
2) There is a higher supply than demand (basic economic principle of supply vs. demand)

The Acura TSX is neither.

Whether you say you're only willing to pay $1,000 over INVOICE or $1523 under MSRP, it still comes out the same (w/Navi = $27,467). You could almost say both prices, Invoice or MSRP, are meaningless, the only price that matters are what people are willing to pay. If you think you're going to get a car for 2 or 3% over Invoice, buy a Corolla, Camry, Accord, etc. If you want to beat invoice, go buy a car heavy with incentives, just about any Chevy, Chrysler, Ford, Infiniti M45s, or even the 2003 TLs. It all depends on the market, and the market for the TSX is still quite hot. Sure Edmund's and Consumer Reports advocate dealing from Invoice, but even Edmund's shows the True Market Value (TMV) of a TSX with Navi at $28,844 (just $146 below MSRP). The market of course can vary from region to region.

Just last month, I too was trying to find a consensus on price before we bought our CG/Ebony/5AT/Navi. Based on posts on this site and others, it does seem that in the some MidWest and Central states like Texas and New Mexico, people are fairly easily getting $1,000 plus OFF MSRP. My hypothesis, there is still a higher sense of loyalty to American brands, and hence, a slightly lower demand for non-American Japanese brands (ie- Acura) in the more central parts of the US, hey, it is "TEXAS". But, on the west and east coast, it's still not uncommon to find people paying alot closer to MSRP, particularly if it's a certain color/feature combination. Oh hell, I'm ranting....

Nachoman, I noticed you're from San Diego. So here's the dirt. We got our TSX w/ Navi for $591 under MSRP ($28,399) with free trunk tray, wheel locks, and splash guards, they waived the documentation fee saving another $45 bucks at Cush of San Diego, in Kearny Mesa. Overall, I felt it was a good and fair price for the exact combination we wanted and in the SoCal market. Don't settle for less, or should I say "more"? Oh, be careful who you deal with at Cush, others have said some of the salepersons are clueless. Also, Justin of Hoehn Acura in Carlsbad seemed pretty nice and others on this Board have been very happy with him, he's also a major poster on this board, I believe he's "justinjsw".

Good Luck.

edit: The consensus for a Good Deal in California, based on posts here and elsewhere, seemed to be about $500 to $700 off MSRP. Hope that helps.
Old 09-16-2003, 05:34 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the info triton, i'm also a UCSD grad myself. I actually just test drove a TSX at the Kearny Mesa Cush last sunday. I didn't talk numbers with them at all but I noticed they added a Dealer Protection Package onto the MSRP. Since i only noticed it after the fact i didn't ask what it was, did you pay for this or get this waived? I am curious what is included in this package. I believe it was an extra 500 on top of the MSRP and delivery charge. They should have just named it "extra money for the dealer". I am planning on checking out Hoehn soon. While I have heard Justin has been particularly good reviews by folks on this board, I've been emailing their internet account guy already so I'll see what he can offer me before talking to any other Hoehn reps. Don't want to start stepping on toes quite yet.
Old 09-16-2003, 06:31 PM
Advanced

Protection Package = BS

Actually, it's just the wheel locks, cargo/trunk tray, and splash guards (and maybe a wax job as I did notice some white wax residue in a few crevices). On hondacuraworld.com, there only $35.50, $76.70, and $63.30 respectively for a total of only $175.50 + like $3.50 something for handling.

I told them it was BS, and said, "Look, I've got a check burning in my wallet and we'll buy right now for $28,399 or we walk." One salesperson (Michael G) had been keeping in contact with me for about a month, and he knew we meant business, so the deal went down with only 2 trips to his "manager". Nice guy, always courteous.

I must note, our TSX was a dealer swap from Cathedral City near Palm Springs with a few test drives obviously, and had 180 miles on it, so that extra 170 miles might be worth a hundred bucks to you or the dealer. I didn't like it, but our exact car was there for the taking with no waiting weeks for our combination, and it still has that new car smell :P
Old 09-16-2003, 07:00 PM
Racer

Originally posted by ucsdtriton
[B]That statement is generally true if:

1) The car is an American brand, and/or
2) There is a higher supply than demand (basic economic principle of supply vs. demand)

The Acura TSX is neither.]
Yet....and if you have time, supply will eventually be on your side. Like you said, basic economics. I'd be worried if it were a limited production car, but it's not. Contrary to what many believe. 15k was a target, and it appears that Honda will beat that target by quite a few. (Which is cool for my HMC stock, lol)
Old 09-16-2003, 07:25 PM
Advanced

Sure, the TSX will come down in price, I don't doubt that... eventually... maybe as soon as the TL comes out next month, or maybe not till the next model year. There hasn't been a big price drop on the MDX, no huge incentives, and it's been out for 3 years now. And, I'm sure next year's model will have something new or better. If you can wait, great , by all means do so. If you can't, saving a couple hundred to buy a few months down the road may not be a practical matter, and in the meantime you can simply enjoy your car as you pass by the fellow who's waiting for his.

Either way, paying near MSRP for an Acura TSX is still a way better deal than say... buying an equivalently packaged A4 for a few thousand more.
Old 09-16-2003, 08:27 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by ucsdtriton
Protection Package = BS

Actually, it's just the wheel locks, cargo/trunk tray, and splash guards (and maybe a wax job as I did notice some white wax residue in a few crevices). On hondacuraworld.com, there only $35.50, $76.70, and $63.30 respectively for a total of only $175.50 + like $3.50 something for handling.

I told them it was BS, and said, "Look, I've got a check burning in my wallet and we'll buy right now for $28,399 or we walk." One salesperson (Michael G) had been keeping in contact with me for about a month, and he knew we meant business, so the deal went down with only 2 trips to his "manager". Nice guy, always courteous.

I must note, our TSX was a dealer swap from Cathedral City near Palm Springs with a few test drives obviously, and had 180 miles on it, so that extra 170 miles might be worth a hundred bucks to you or the dealer. I didn't like it, but our exact car was there for the taking with no waiting weeks for our combination, and it still has that new car smell :P
Yeah that's what i thought. Plus Hoehn up in Carlsbad includes all that stuff with the car so they are practically sending me to Hoehn just so i don't have to argue with them about it.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:03 AM
dez
I never post !!!

Someone mentioned the Infiniti M45 ...

I never even KNEW about this car. I currently have an Acura CL and was pretty dead set on getting the new TSX when my lease was up (in 2 months) .. so, I've been on THIS site and researching for months.

HOWEVER ... I heard about (and saw Lease Ads for) the M45 and had to check it out. MAN - what a car. And, check this. With all the Incentives they ARE pushing on this car, if you can get em, and the GREAT lease factor, and the VALUE of the car .. it would cost me maybe $30-50 MORE a month, than the TSX. Folks, we're talking about a $46,000 vehicle here. It has a 340HP V-8 and has the SAME engine as the $55,000+ Q45 ... and WAAAAAAY many more neat things than the TSX ... and talk about a DIFFERENT looking car ... In the YEAR that this thing has been out, I've seen maybe TWO on the road. I love having DIFFERENT cars ... kinda like how the TSX only has 15,000 units ... this has even LESS !!!

Anyway, I have a deal on the table to lease this bad boy for $402 a MONTH (including TAX) with ONLY $1000 due at lease signing for 39 months ... it's almost TOO hard to pass up, don't ya think ???

Of course, it'll be hard to come back to this site and wonder 'what could have been' if I got the TSX .. but I can't see passing up a deal for a car that's roughly $20000 more than the TSX for only a few dollars more per month on a lease !!!
Old 09-17-2003, 08:26 PM
Racer

Yeah but it is kinda ugly. And they're not selling too well, that's why you never see any (I've yet to see one in my neck of the woods). Factor in higher insurance and you can figure on doubling your annual outlay for gas too...
Old 09-18-2003, 01:47 PM
'04 MSM/Auto/No Nav

Hey JeffG,

Not sure if you've found a car yet, but there was a SSM/Auto TSX at Acura 101West (in Calabasas) when I cruised over there on 9/16. Don't remember if it had Navi or not... It was a dealer trade with Downey Acura, so it may have a few miles on it... Just a heads up.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:23 PM
JR8
Cruisin'

I just purchased a CG 6spd w/nav in the LA area and if you are looking for a popular style then it will be easy to find. Dealers order what sells.

Automatics, silver, black, and white cars sell. Manual transmissions with nav must not sell. Also keep in mind that in CA registrations tripple after this month. I figured I saved about $500 by purchasing prior to 10/1.

Good luck.
Old 09-22-2003, 03:46 PM
Banned

What do you mean by must not sell?
Old 09-25-2003, 04:44 PM
9th Gear

Speaking of the TL...I think it would've faired better with the TSX front bumper. I'm not too crazy about that gap in the middle of the front bumper. Otherwise, the rest of the car looks good. Can someone say, "aftermarket"?