is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 05:47 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is it possible?

Is it possible to drop from N to D without hitting the brake (at full stop)? will it hurt the transmission or stufff like that? I know it's kinda noob. But I've been driven manual for years.
thanks guys
Old 02-26-2008, 08:42 PM
Instructor

Ya its possible. I don’t recommend it but I'm not sure if it hurts the car in any way.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:08 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
You can go from D -> N -> D while moving. What year is your TSX? Does it not have sport shift?
Old 02-27-2008, 09:45 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes you can.

p.s. all AT TSXs, no matter what year, have SS.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:21 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I've knocked the gear shifter into neutral on my accord before. I took my foot off the pedal, waited a bit, and then shifted it back into drive. It didn't sound or do anything bad (I guess the computer synchronized the shift). If the TSX is like that (or any car), then I think you're fine.

Now, revving in neutral and then dropping it into gear is a bad thing and shouldn't be done (ie: when you're about to race another car)
Old 02-27-2008, 10:05 PM
TSX MFG Date Sep 2006

But don't try to go from N >> R !! Definitely not recommended.

I learned my lesson on a Mitsubishi that I was driving in high school. Stupid me. Thought it was cool to coast downhill in neutral seeing my cousin (much older than I was back then) do it all the time, driving the Auto like it was a stick (putting in neutral and then D in traffic). I accidentally hit the handle and pushed it into R and my motor immediately died on me. Surprisingly I was able to start the car and drive it home. The next day was a different story as the gears wouldn't change into 3rd gear.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:24 PM
ASM 3G TL Type-S

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I do it all the time, shifting from neutral to drive; I wait for the engine to have shifted gears before stepping on the accelerator. I normally pop it into neutral at a red light, and when the light turns green pop it back into drive. Not sure if I would be hurting the engine or transmission anyway by doing this?
Old 02-28-2008, 08:29 AM
Instructor

I often pop my 06 AT into N to coast down large hills, and then put it back into D once I need to start driving again. I always make sure I have my foot totally clear of the accelerator while shifting though. I've never had any problems.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:07 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think you'll hurt your car as long as you don't shift into R when the car is moving forward, or shift into D when it's moving backward.

I did the same thing on 94 Galant (2.0L V6), 99 Accord (2.3L I4), 02 Town&Country (3.3L V6). Now I have 07 TLS. All of them have autos.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:02 AM
Burning Brakes

thats weird, i was in neutral @ 5mph and popped it back into D and it grinded for half a second. scared me, never doing that again. Btw if you think your saving gas by putting in neutral to save gas, you are wrong.

Why do our autos make a clunk noise going into D from a dead stop?
Old 03-01-2008, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by ck123
thats weird, i was in neutral @ 5mph and popped it back into D and it grinded for half a second. scared me, never doing that again. Btw if you think your saving gas by putting in neutral to save gas, you are wrong.

Why do our autos make a clunk noise going into D from a dead stop?
I thought I recall a thread on this, and the answer had something to do with the brakes - and was normal.

Also, I thought I recall another thread (and I could be wrong) where the TSX knows when it's coasting and implements some kind of fuel saving measure that gets turned off if you are in Neutral.

I'm no mechanic, but I choose to keep things simple. If you want to shift, buy a manual. Otherwise, let the auto tranny do what it was designed to do and leave it alone.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1Louder
I thought I recall a thread on this, and the answer had something to do with the brakes - and was normal.

Also, I thought I recall another thread (and I could be wrong) where the TSX knows when it's coasting and implements some kind of fuel saving measure that gets turned off if you are in Neutral.

I'm no mechanic, but I choose to keep things simple. If you want to shift, buy a manual. Otherwise, let the auto tranny do what it was designed to do and leave it alone.
so the clunking noise going into d is the brakes?
any confirm

yeah i agree, if you want to shift get a manual.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:17 PM

It's the ABS self test - very common in Honda/Acura. My Civic did it too.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30083
Old 03-01-2008, 04:50 PM
Advanced

What's the need for putting the car into neutral at lights? Is it to give off the effect of a manual to the other vehicle's around you?

Leave it in the gear it's suppose to be in. There is no benefit to it whatsoever. You are only wearing out your shift knob.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:51 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GTSX-05
I do it all the time, shifting from neutral to drive; I wait for the engine to have shifted gears before stepping on the accelerator. I normally pop it into neutral at a red light, and when the light turns green pop it back into drive. Not sure if I would be hurting the engine or transmission anyway by doing this?
Is there any reason for doing that?

3 reasons I'm against it...

1. Your car will roll (forward/backward) if you don't step on the brake, and the ground is not flat.

2. You wasted more gas than it's idle @ D. Don't believe me? Check. If you pop the gear @ Neutral, it takes the engine @ 800-850rpm to settle; and if you idle @ D, it takes the engine @ 750rpm to settle.

3. You can not immediately response to the envirnoment if there's a sudden change, hence you will step on gas @ Neutral.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:54 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by chuson
Is there any reason for doing that?

3 reasons I'm against it...

1. Your car will roll (forward/backward) if you don't step on the brake, and the ground is not flat.

2. You wasted more gas than it's idle @ D. Don't believe me? Check. If you pop the gear @ Neutral, it takes the engine @ 800-850rpm to settle; and if you idle @ D, it takes the engine @ 750rpm to settle.

3. You can not immediately response to the envirnoment if there's a sudden change, hence you will step on gas @ Neutral.

4. Depending on where you live/drive, it is probably illegal.