Please help with intake issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 11:38 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help with intake issue

It appears I have a CT engineering intake system. It has a foam air filter in place. I would like to return to stock. As you can see, when the air cover is removed, there is no air down pipe that I think should be there. Is this felt to be a good safe system? What parts do I need to get to return to stock? Is there a parts diagram website for this car like realoem for BMW? This is my first Honda/Acura and appreciate the help.MG]
Old 08-11-2012, 11:43 PM
Cruisin'

here are pics

Here are the pics.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:15 AM
in the 24th and a half...

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Try here:

http://estore.honda.com/acura/parts/...your-acura.asp

This is the link part for mine, 2006:

http://estore.honda.com/acura/parts/...n=&b=B++01&dl=

Note that this doesn't show the resonator that I think you are looking for info on, so here is a different link that shows some stuff:

http://parts.sonsacura.com/products/...1-RBA-305.html

Good luck, you gotta pull the front bumper to get the resonator back in, if it's missing, but I think yours is still there...maybe nothing is missing from what you got. They may have just dropped in a foam filter. Check the diagrams for an idea.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:37 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks Duck. I looked further today with the help of the diagrams, and it appears I am missing both the air inlet tubes and the resonator chamber. I will try and talk to CT Engineering Monday to get their installation instructions to see what they recommended removing and how to access the area.
Has anyone else installed this system?
Anyone have a leftover resonator system they removed?
Thanks.
Bill
Old 08-12-2012, 09:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lsupcar
Thanks Duck. I looked further today with the help of the diagrams, and it appears I am missing both the air inlet tubes and the resonator chamber. I will try and talk to CT Engineering Monday to get their installation instructions to see what they recommended removing and how to access the area.
Has anyone else installed this system?
Anyone have a leftover resonator system they removed?
Thanks.
Bill
I had the CT intake on my TSX when I owned one; I installed it with a friend and several stock parts were removed in order to make the CT intake work. The resonator was connected to a clip by the engine walls. The resonator was a black box like part. With the CT intake it was all deleted and left a open pipe at the end to draw more air. I drove my Acura TSX for 4 years without issue. I live in Canada and driven through varies weather conditions. (Heavy rain and Heavy snow storms conditions)

To be honest, I wouldn't worry about the intake system. It appears you want to replace it back to stock because you are afraid of hydro lock? The way the intake is designed, it would be very difficult for water to be absorbed into the engine. The pipe they provide is a J shape which provide better flow of air due to the opening but not for water. Unless you are driving your car into a lake, it would be very difficult to obtain hydro lock.

If you want to remove the CT intake regardless; be aware. The front bumper must be removed in order to access the intake parts. Front bumper removal is fairly easy though.

There is a write up or video created by a member of the forum.

Check the link for bumper removal.

The only parts you need to return to stock would be the intake lid. Everything else were removed and not replaced beside the J pipe I mentioned. You will probably also have a purchase the resonator as stated to return to stock.

Last edited by Carriers; 08-12-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:50 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for that Carriers. After looking today, it appeared the resonator and air pipes could be inserted from the bottom after removing the splash guard in front of the wheel. Am I wrong? Did the CT instructions specify removing the bumper? You removed your bumper?
I planned to remove it when I found the foam air filter in place, and had previously noted an air whistleing sound at about 30 mph and a louder engine sound then other TSX's I had driven.
As I learn more about this car, I think headers may have been installed as well.I guess it would make sense to open up the intake and exhaust together. I will need to take another look at the exhaust, but know there is not a heat shield on the manifold. Is the heat shiel important to have?
Thanks.
Bill Z
Old 08-15-2012, 11:43 AM
Intermediate

I would highly recommend removing the bumper if you were to install a stock intake in place of the CT intake. There are several screws/nuts that might be screwed and secured that cannot be access without removing the bumer. The CT intake fitler is reusable after a wash. The Ct intake is designed to tailor towards the stock intake with a bit of increase air flow, hence the design of the Ct intake uses existing parts of the stock intake. I would personally keep the CT intake but you have your reasons of going stock. The header should have a part number on it if it it stock. The stock one is normally copper in color. Why was the heat shield taken off? The heat shield helps with engine perforamce as heat reduces it. I would go purchase a heat shield for the headers manifold as it may not only prevent decrease in performance but also overheating.

Ben

Thanks for that Carriers. After looking today, it appeared the resonator and air pipes could be inserted from the bottom after removing the splash guard in front of the wheel. Am I wrong? Did the CT instructions specify removing the bumper? You removed your bumper?
I planned to remove it when I found the foam air filter in place, and had previously noted an air whistleing sound at about 30 mph and a louder engine sound then other TSX's I had driven.
As I learn more about this car, I think headers may have been installed as well.I guess it would make sense to open up the intake and exhaust together. I will need to take another look at the exhaust, but know there is not a heat shield on the manifold. Is the heat shiel important to have?
Thanks.
Bill Z
Old 08-15-2012, 02:36 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for your experience Carriers. I received the installation instructions from CT Engineering and like you say, bumper removal looks to be necessary, but not all that difficult. The missing heatshield is secondary to an aftermarket DC sports 4-2-1 header. It appears to be in good condition.
I will probably take your advice and keep the installed intake and header in place for a while and see how it goes. I have also noted upgraded slotted rotors and pads on the front. I am not sure of their manufacturer. Is there any other place I should look for aftermarket upgraded items? Do people get aftermarket chips or reflashes of the computer?
BTW, this is a car my wife and son bought at an out of town dealership which had it as a trade-in. I am now going through it to figure out what we have. I appreciate the help.
Bill Z
Old 08-16-2012, 12:43 PM
Intermediate

Good to hear, I would still re-install a heat shield to prevent overheating. DC sport header has some issues with the flex pipe as its perceptible to cracking. When the flex is on its way out or cracking it will cause a hissing noise. It's a known problem with that header, just FYI in case you need to troubleshoot such a problem in the future.

In terms of mods, depending on what year Acura TSX and transmission (6MT or 5AT) you have can vary what aftermarket parts you can purchase.

In terms of chip/ reflashes, HONDATA offers a reflash options for 04-06 TSX models which remaps the ECU to adjust the fuel disturbtion between different range of RPMs. The range of power is evently disturbed between the RPM range. VTEC is also effected by it reducing it from 6000 RPM to 4850 RPM. Tuning can be obtained either by removing your immobilzer, ecu and a copy of your key to HONDATA. It's about $295 for this service. I truely believe this mod to be the best bang for the buck. The difference between a ECU reflashed to a stock one is a complete 180.

Reflash I believe may be avaliable to 07-08 model TSX as stated by their site, but they have bit different standards as it requires you to go to their authorized dealer for tuning only with no exception. A K-Pro or FlashPro option is also available but I am not as informed within that area.

In term of mods. There are several suppliers online/vendors through the site that offer aftermarket upgraded parts for sale. It all depends on your needs/wants and your budget.

Good luck.

Thanks for your experience Carriers. I received the installation instructions from CT Engineering and like you say, bumper removal looks to be necessary, but not all that difficult. The missing heatshield is secondary to an aftermarket DC sports 4-2-1 header. It appears to be in good condition.
I will probably take your advice and keep the installed intake and header in place for a while and see how it goes. I have also noted upgraded slotted rotors and pads on the front. I am not sure of their manufacturer. Is there any other place I should look for aftermarket upgraded items? Do people get aftermarket chips or reflashes of the computer?
BTW, this is a car my wife and son bought at an out of town dealership which had it as a trade-in. I am now going through it to figure out what we have. I appreciate the help.
Bill Z

Last edited by Carriers; 08-16-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:04 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks Carriers,
We have a 2008 5AT, no nav.
I am not looking to do mods at present, just figure out what mods may have already been done.
Is there an external way to tell if a reflash has been done? I doubt it has however from what you say, as the vtec transition is at about 6000 rpm.
There are no mounting points on the DC header to attach a heat shield. I saw how one member here fabricated a bracket, mounted it with the center header stud and nut, onto which a flat horizontal heat shield was attached. I may try something like that.
Bill