Pissed already after the first day with my TSX

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 06:33 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pissed already after the first day with my TSX

I've had her for only 12 hrs and have driven 55 miles, and I'm already thoroughly pissed.

There are two 2-3 mm diameter paint chips on the center of my hood about a foot from the grill, and they're quite noticeable in contrast to the carbon gray paint. I've heard issues about paint chipping on the TSX but certainly didn't expect my experience to be this disappointing. My '94 Camry, bless her soul, has never had anything like this after 204K miles and New England's winters with salt trucks aplenty.

Any suggestions as to how to handle this with the dealer? Any chance I'll be able to take it to a closer dealer? The one where I purchased the car is over an hour-drive away.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:03 AM
Burning Brakes

get some touch up paint and then install clear bra. then try to practice driving with a little more distance between you and the cars in front of you. you would be suprised what 5-10 feet more distance will do to save your glass and paint
Old 04-28-2004, 10:44 AM
6MT Snob

you could try pulling off the "it was delieverd with the chips"
Old 04-28-2004, 10:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah, just say it was there...hopefully they'll paint it for you, at the very least hopefully get some free touch up paint
Old 04-28-2004, 02:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Re: Pissed already after the first day with my TSX

Originally posted by redington
I've had her for only 12 hrs and have driven 55 miles, and I'm already thoroughly pissed.

There are two 2-3 mm diameter paint chips on the center of my hood about a foot from the grill, and they're quite noticeable in contrast to the carbon gray paint. I've heard issues about paint chipping on the TSX but certainly didn't expect my experience to be this disappointing. My '94 Camry, bless her soul, has never had anything like this after 204K miles and New England's winters with salt trucks aplenty.

Any suggestions as to how to handle this with the dealer? Any chance I'll be able to take it to a closer dealer? The one where I purchased the car is over an hour-drive away.
Sorry to hear about your experience. IMO there is little chance you'll be able to convice the dealer that they were already there. The car is inspected when it's delivered to the dealer, when the guys prep the car and when you took delivery. If you are going to pursue the "get the dealer to pay" avenue, you'll have to go back to the original dealer. A closer dealer won't do anything for free and it's not a warranty issue.

FWIW, all cars from all makers are now painted with water-borne paints now. Thank the EPA who was concerned that the componants that evaporate as the paint dries are causing ozone depletion. I'm not sure if this is a contributing factor to chip issues, but it may be related.
Old 04-28-2004, 03:32 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by dabuda2004
yeah, just say it was there...hopefully they'll paint it for you, at the very least hopefully get some free touch up paint
Don't take advice from this guy, he wants you to lie.

Alot of people are having problems with paint due to the fact that they pick up the cars after they have only been on the lot for a week or two. The TSX is so popular that the paint on the cars doesn't have a lot of time to cure in the sun becaue they get bought so darn quick. When you get a car specially delivered or you pick it up after its been on the lot for a short period - expect some chips to happen. It's just part of the game. While your car is new, leave it outside in the sun for the next couple of months so your paint can cure and harden. People have the same problem with all makes that are popular.
Old 04-28-2004, 04:53 PM
Thats my Girl!!

hey but its not as bad as nissan paint. i had 350Z and i could peel of the paint with my finger nailes.. i was taking out the nissan emblem and i accedently hit the rear bumber with my finger nail and it rip off.. i had 13000 when i traded in however the front of the car look like its been in through hell!! and i live in Sunny Cali!!!
Old 04-28-2004, 05:05 PM
BDI
Banned

Originally posted by YBLegal
hey but its not as bad as nissan paint. i had 350Z and i could peel of the paint with my finger nailes.. i was taking out the nissan emblem and i accedently hit the rear bumber with my finger nail and it rip off.. i had 13000 when i traded in however the front of the car look like its been in through hell!! and i live in Sunny Cali!!!
way off topic but in your sig it says JDM Tail lights with amber signals?? You have pics?? I thought JDM tails are the same as ours??
Old 04-28-2004, 06:59 PM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by BDI
way off topic but in your sig it says JDM Tail lights with amber signals?? You have pics?? I thought JDM tails are the same as ours??
Old 04-28-2004, 07:52 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by dabuda2004
You'll get free touch up paint anyways, and there's no point being dishonest with a dealer that has already been through a thorough checkup to make sure your car was spotless.

If you ever want to assure yourself of a good service with the dealership, be straight and honest about what happenned, and they'll be understanding and go out of their way to help you.

Now once this is done, get a gravelguard clear bra that will cover your hood completely, because believe me, you are gonna need it. I have to repaint my hood, because it is so chipped, it is rusted. I'll also have to do the bumper and the grill, as well as the mirrors.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:57 PM
Moderator Alumnus

BTW, I'm gonna shell out a grand and a half to get the front end re-painted, and it's going to get some tough paint, ya better believe it. As well as a good shield of gravel-guard on bumper, hood and mirrors. Not gonna get caught twice!:sqnteek:
Old 04-28-2004, 09:32 PM
I may be fat but I'm slow

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
How much would the gravel-guard cost? Is it through the dealer, or aftermarket? Can I wait a few weeks after I get the car to have it applied?
Old 04-29-2004, 04:43 AM
Moderator Alumnus

It's usually through aftermarket. I don't know if you got those in the US but we can get it here from 3M Trim Line, for example.

The more you wait before installing, the more you expose yourself to chips.