parking in the winter

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 11:17 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
parking in the winter

I think I remember seeing this mentioned once but I don't remember a convincing discussion and I can't find one in search.

I have a garage at home and underground parking at work, but have wondered if it is better to park outside to avoid repeated freezing/thawing cycles. If I do, it seems like it will leave the exterior at a more constant freezing temperature, possibly retarding chemical corrosion and rust due to road salt and water. Parking indoors though will keep the interior mostly above zero all the time and away from extreme cold (still gets pretty cold in my garage though).

So, is it a question of trading off interior and exterior? I imagine one would be less of a concern than the other, but which?

Any comments?
Old 11-05-2004, 01:01 AM
Tuxedo Cat

Originally Posted by Proo
I think I remember seeing this mentioned once but I don't remember a convincing discussion and I can't find one in search.

I have a garage at home and underground parking at work, but have wondered if it is better to park outside to avoid repeated freezing/thawing cycles. If I do, it seems like it will leave the exterior at a more constant freezing temperature, possibly retarding chemical corrosion and rust due to road salt and water. Parking indoors though will keep the interior mostly above zero all the time and away from extreme cold (still gets pretty cold in my garage though).

So, is it a question of trading off interior and exterior? I imagine one would be less of a concern than the other, but which?

Any comments?
The greatest damage you do to your car in cold weather has nothing to do with the interior or exterior of the car. It's all about the engine.

The engine is made up of a variety of metals that don't all expand and contract at the same rates when temperatures change. When the engine is not at it's normal operating temperature you will be causing additional friction and wear. The colder the engine gets, the more wear you are putting on it when you start it and warm it up.

If you have a location that allows you to keep the engine warmer, that is the preferred location. If there's anything else you can do to help retain heat in the engine compartment, that's a good thing too. (Even tossing a heavy blanket over the hood, making sure to cover up the grille and other openings can make a significant difference in how quickly things cool down.)
Old 11-05-2004, 01:22 AM
Subie Tech

When you car is covered with road salt. It's less corrosive if you leave your car outside cuase once it get's warmer, corrosion starts!!!
Old 11-06-2004, 03:18 AM
Instructor

It would seem to be a complex problem frought with trade-offs. I suppose the most ideal would be to live somewhere where the temperature stayed nice and moderate.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It would seem to be a complex problem frought with trade-offs. I suppose the most ideal would be to live somewhere where the temperature stayed nice and moderate.

But if I had a garage at home I would leave my car in it.
Old 11-06-2004, 07:15 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffTSX
When you car is covered with road salt. It's less corrosive if you leave your car outside cuase once it get's warmer, corrosion starts!!!
What Jeff said.
But I also agree with Venise to a certain extent that keeping it at higher temperatures would undoubtedly be easier on the engine, especially the oil, which would tend less to thicken with colder environments. Because when it is thick, unless you have synthetic, the engine can run for as much as 30 seconds almost dry, and thatis not good.

But given that you're bound to corrosion if you park in a heated garage, your best all around solution would be to park it in, but make sure you rinse your car with a hose each time you bring it in in order to wash away the salt, including the wheel wells, and especially the underside of your car in the trunk area, behind the back wheels.

It'll be a good excuse at the same time to keep your car shiny and clean.

I wish I had a garage...
Old 11-06-2004, 07:43 AM
Boy Genius

Living in Canada it's unavoidable to keep the car from going through freezing and thawing cycles and to keep it from getting dirty. I wouldn't go out of my way to keep the car warm, but to the extent possible, wash frequently and thoroughly in the winter and keep the car garaged whenever possible.

I have a car that's over 7 years old and has over 124,000km on it, and I always let it idle for about 15 seconds after I start it, sometimes more in the winter, and I have religiously followed the maintenance schedule - having taken good care of it, it still looks and feels like new, engine and body wise.
Old 11-06-2004, 12:30 PM
DGH
What, me worry?

[QUOTE=sauceman]What Jeff said.
But I also agree with Venise to a certain extent that keeping it at higher temperatures would undoubtedly be easier on the engine, especially the oil, which would tend less to thicken with colder environments. Because when it is thick, unless you have synthetic, the engine can run for as much as 30 seconds almost dry, and thatis not good.QUOTE]

Best of both worlds:

Park outside and use a block heater.
Old 11-06-2004, 05:30 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
engine > corrosion

unless the engine is rusting...
Old 11-06-2004, 06:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TSX 'R' US
engine > corrosion

unless the engine is rusting...

Just like a Ford Rustang...I mean Mustang.
Old 11-07-2004, 11:14 AM
Advanced

What about the cold and how it would effect the Navi?
Old 11-07-2004, 12:08 PM
Drifting

Received 267 Likes on 91 Posts
....move to florida
Old 11-07-2004, 12:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by drigo
....move to florida
I was thinking california... florida's heat and humidity probably causes rust and biological growth, and the hurricanes probably potentially cause paint chips and dings

But anyway, it's all pointless dreaming about it now. Toronto's really not that bad, actually.
Old 11-07-2004, 01:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Toronto's really not that bad, actually.
Florida > Toronto

Old 11-07-2004, 03:40 PM
Drifting

Received 267 Likes on 91 Posts
I was thinking california... florida's heat and humidity probably causes rust and biological growth, and the hurricanes probably potentially cause paint chips and dings

But anyway, it's all pointless dreaming about it now. Toronto's really not that bad, actually.
its not too bad...i survived like what 4-5 huricanes this year.....