paint pen question

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
paint pen question

Could anyone post any personal experience that they've had with a touch-up pen? I have some small scratches (through the clear-coat) on my nighthawk black pearl TSX that I'd like to try to fix. Btw, I tried using the search tool but I couldn't much hard information as to whether the paint pen is crap or not.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:00 PM
TSX

and where you can buy one?

I need it for an SSM
Old 08-15-2005, 05:02 PM

Savio, they're not too hard to find on the internet.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:03 PM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Savio
and where you can buy one?

I need it for an SSM
http://www.handaccessories.com/tsx.html
Old 08-15-2005, 05:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I understand that the touch up paint pen available in Canada is better. Its supposed to come with a paint tip on one end and a clear coat tip on the other. I saw a guy on e-bay selling those for somewhere around $13-$14.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:23 PM
Pearl White In E-Town

Yes the pen from Canada is better, Isn't everything better from Canada?...

Joking aside, yes the pen does come double sided. 1 side for paint the other for pearly clear coat.

From personal experience - the pen works great! It often takes a few coats to match it almost perfectly but its well worth it. I've even used it on large rock chips with good results.

You should be able to find them on e-bay
Old 08-15-2005, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Nd4Spd

Joking aside, yes the pen does come double sided. 1 side for paint the other for pearly clear coat.

From personal experience - the pen works great! It often takes a few coats to match it almost perfectly but its well worth it. I've even used it on large rock chips with good results.

Thanks, Nd4spd. Is there much risk of making the scratch look worse by accident? How do I distinguish this Canadian paint pen from its lesser USA version on Ebay?
Old 08-15-2005, 05:37 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got a little nail polish bottle of SSM touch up paint from the stealership for $6. They don't sell the pens at the stealership though.

My experience with using them is.....I used it on some rock chips and it pretty much looked like rock chips filled with Paint from a nail polish bottle. I think the spots were more noticeable once they were filled in so I ended up wiping it off right after I put it on.

I also saw the pens on ebay....I might have to try one of those instead.

Old 08-15-2005, 05:59 PM
send me a link to JDM??

Originally Posted by CJams
I got a little nail polish bottle of SSM touch up paint from the stealership for $6. They don't sell the pens at the stealership though.

My experience with using them is.....I used it on some rock chips and it pretty much looked like rock chips filled with Paint from a nail polish bottle. I think the spots were more noticeable once they were filled in so I ended up wiping it off right after I put it on.

I also saw the pens on ebay....I might have to try one of those instead.

TSX.fury who would just like to ask if anyone else has noticed CJams is all about the now
Old 08-15-2005, 06:05 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What? He's swinging a paint pen!

That's my homeboy "Bruce Smai Lee"

Old 08-15-2005, 06:34 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Camden
Thanks, Nd4spd. Is there much risk of making the scratch look worse by accident? How do I distinguish this Canadian paint pen from its lesser USA version on Ebay?
the difference is that the Canadian pen has two sides to it, one side with the paint, the other with the clear finish. The US version has just the paint.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:43 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by CJams
That's my homeboy "Bruce Smai Lee"

HAHAHAHAHHA THAT IS FRIGGIN' GENIUS!! BWA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!
Old 08-15-2005, 07:46 PM

Hey, regarding the "1 side for paint the other for pearly clear coat." ---> Do you mean that one side is, say, white base coat, and the other side is the PEARL coat? What color paint pen do you have personal experience with? I have been wondering about this -- I need a base/pearl pen but am not spending a TON of $$ to bring one over from the USA (paintscratch.com) - Worked out to $45 CDN for 2 pens + shipping.

If you could verify that it's base coat on one end and PEARL on the other, then I am a very happy person.

My local dealer won't order one in w/o prepayment, and I won't prepay w/o confirming this. LOL.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:41 PM
Racer

I got mine from my dealership. It is not an "Acura" brand pen but it's 19.99, I have a PWP so they gave me one entire pen for the PWP and another for the pearl. My friend got one for his NBP TL, and he only got 1 pen, apparently he didnt need it since the clear coat was pre-mixed although im not sure how that works. But hey, 2 pens(one paint 1 clear) for 19.99 aint not so bad
Old 08-16-2005, 12:23 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jlukja
the difference is that the Canadian pen has two sides to it, one side with the paint, the other with the clear finish. The US version has just the paint.
Plus when you use a brush the paint seems to want to goop up. So the paint isn't perfectly flat.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:34 AM
Pearl White In E-Town

Originally Posted by curls
Hey, regarding the "1 side for paint the other for pearly clear coat." ---> Do you mean that one side is, say, white base coat, and the other side is the PEARL coat? What color paint pen do you have personal experience with? I have been wondering about this -- I need a base/pearl pen but am not spending a TON of $$ to bring one over from the USA (paintscratch.com) - Worked out to $45 CDN for 2 pens + shipping.

If you could verify that it's base coat on one end and PEARL on the other, then I am a very happy person.

My local dealer won't order one in w/o prepayment, and I won't prepay w/o confirming this. LOL.
Yes one side is base coat, hte other is pearl/clear coat. I've used the Premium White Pearl touch-up pen, and like I said before works fantastic! You shouldn't have to spend that much money to get it, I thought Canadian dealers should stock it. I got mine from my dealer in edmonton for $12 CDN (I think it was around there, I know it was less than $20).

If you want I can check with my dealer to see how much it was. If its alot of savings, I might be able to pick it up for you and ship it out East (they're pretty light so I imagins shipping wouldn't be expensive)

Hope this helps everyone who needs info on these pens.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:54 AM

Yes one side is base coat, hte other is pearl/clear coat. I've used the Premium White Pearl touch-up pen, and like I said before works fantastic! You shouldn't have to spend that much money to get it, I thought Canadian dealers should stock it. I got mine from my dealer in edmonton for $12 CDN (I think it was around there, I know it was less than $20).

If you want I can check with my dealer to see how much it was. If its alot of savings, I might be able to pick it up for you and ship it out East (they're pretty light so I imagins shipping wouldn't be expensive)

Hope this helps everyone who needs info on these pens.
Is it a Honda/Acura part? If so, can you give me the part number?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~Eric
Old 08-16-2005, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by MTLer
I got mine from my dealership. It is not an "Acura" brand pen but it's 19.99, I have a PWP so they gave me one entire pen for the PWP and another for the pearl. My friend got one for his NBP TL, and he only got 1 pen, apparently he didnt need it since the clear coat was pre-mixed although im not sure how that works. But hey, 2 pens(one paint 1 clear) for 19.99 aint not so bad
Do these have Honda/Acura part numbers?
Old 08-16-2005, 10:13 AM
TS-SEX

I bought my paint pen from Walmart. "Duplicolor Scratch Fix 2 in 1" product which has the roller ball pen tip and the brush. Cost me about $5+ and it worked great! They got the honda OEM colors, clear coat, and even primer. I bought a SSM and a clearcoat pen and it worked just nicely.

http://www.duplicolor.com/
Old 08-16-2005, 10:45 AM
Pearl White In E-Town

Originally Posted by curls
Is it a Honda/Acura part? If so, can you give me the part number?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~Eric
Okay the number is hard to read because its rubbed off, sort of faded. But as far as I can make out 1UOANH624P (this was the number under the bar code, its for PWP). It is a genuine ACURA/HONDA part. I called my Acura dealer and he said the pens only cost $11.35
Old 08-16-2005, 11:54 AM

Okay the number is hard to read because its rubbed off, sort of faded. But as far as I can make out 1UOANH624P (this was the number under the bar code, its for PWP). It is a genuine ACURA/HONDA part. I called my Acura dealer and he said the pens only cost $11.35
Awesome. So one pen @ $11.35 and I'm good to go (I already have all the prep stuff and sandpapers and stuff).

Thanks a ton for the help!
~Eric
Old 09-02-2005, 08:54 AM

Just an update: The paint pens match a LOT better than the bottles. 100 times better. Although, they take longer to harden/dry (took 5 days to become 2000-grit sandable. So, be patient.

I just need to put the pearly-clear on top tonight and then wetsand again on maybe Monday (holiday). Then polish and pics will be posted.