Overfill gas tank??

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 09:30 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Overfill gas tank??

Hi folks.

Just one thing I noticed: When I go to the gas station to fill up the TSX, after getting filled, once the nozzle has topped off, I usually wait a few seconds, and try and get another litre or so in the tank, once the gas has settled down, but I noticed that doing this in the TSX, I could add several litres.

So today, I filled the car up with cannisters and once it topped off, I did the same, let some more gas flow in slowly, and I ended up adding 10-15 litres after the car had topped off. I still had a good 15 litres inside the gas tank before filling, and ended up adding another 60 litres or so, which means 10litres +/- more than what the car is rated for.

Do you folks know anything about this? Just curious to know.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:54 PM
More On

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems to get filled up pretty good the regular way.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by larchmont
It seems to get filled up pretty good the regular way.
Come on Larch...I think he's inquiring about the low fuel light coming on a little early. I could be wrong, but it sounds like he's concerned as anyone would be about running out of gas in a new car.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:19 PM
More On

Originally posted by swami
Come on Larch...I think he's inquiring about the low fuel light coming on a little early. I could be wrong, but it sounds like he's concerned as anyone would be about running out of gas in a new car.
No, swami -- re-read!
Old 07-15-2003, 11:25 PM
Burning Brakes

No, swami -- re-read!
I'm reading between the lines here...Why is he stopping for gas when the TSX apparently looks like it needs gas, but doesn't. I guess you gotta have one to realize that, which I don't. I do remember reading a thread that said the low fuel light comes on real early. That's the point I was driving at. My bad if I was wrong.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Overfill gas tank??

Originally posted by sauceman
Hi folks.

Just one thing I noticed: When I go to the gas station to fill up the TSX, after getting filled, once the nozzle has topped off, I usually wait a few seconds, and try and get another litre or so in the tank, once the gas has settled down, but I noticed that doing this in the TSX, I could add several litres.

Isn't that gas tank awesome at 17 gallons? My previous Accords had gas tanks much smaller, in the 11-13 gallon range.

Perhaps your gas pump's inability to automatically cut-off correctly is a symptom of other people topping off and messing up the pressure and air in the gas lines?

From what I've been told by a gas station attendant, topping off the gas tank is potentially bad for the gas pump. It can introduce air into the system and cause premature cut-off of the automatic cut-off. In severe cases, cut-offs can occur multiple times right after you initially start to pump. It's happened to me a number of times.

Some gas stations have signs or labels on their pumps to tell you not to top off. There must be good reason. Does anyone have any other reasons?

I can understand the frustration of trying to fill up but the lines are screwed up...by those who top-off.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:43 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Re: Overfill gas tank??

Hi folks.

So today, I filled the car up with cannisters and once it topped off, I did the same, let some more gas flow in slowly, and I ended up adding 10-15 litres after the car had topped off. I still had a good 15 litres inside the gas tank before filling, and ended up adding another 60 litres or so, which means 10litres +/- more than what the car is rated for.

Do you folks know anything about this? Just curious to know.
I fill untill the nozzle pops..and I get right to the F. The manual also states not to try and "top-off" the tank. I find it very surprising that you are getting an additional 10 L! That seems crazy. Maybe there is somethign wrong with that particular pump?
Old 07-16-2003, 07:16 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Re: Re: Overfill gas tank??

Originally posted by fdl
I fill untill the nozzle pops..and I get right to the F. The manual also states not to try and "top-off" the tank. I find it very surprising that you are getting an additional 10 L! That seems crazy. Maybe there is somethign wrong with that particular pump?
Exactly what I'm talking about!
I wasn't talking about the fuel light, I know exactly how much gas there is when the light comes on, and how much driving I can do before I run out. The fuel guage and light is as accurate as can be.

What I was saying, is that once full, it would top, then I could still add another 10-15 litres (2½-4 gals). And I also thought the fuel pumps must have had something wrong, so I filled up manually with a gas canister, and I fit in about 60litres (15.87 gals) while there was still at least 15litres (4gals) left in the tank. The needle was ¾ down, and the fuel light wasn't near to light up.

That means that I actually fit 75litres or 20gals in a tank that usually holds 65litres or 70gals. Crazy, isn't it? Try it, you'll see.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:53 AM
'12 TL (prev '04 TSX 6MT)

Something doesn't seem right here. But see if you can go 15% farther on that tank.
Old 07-16-2003, 08:24 AM
Pro

i don't know exactly how Honda calculate fuel tank valume, 66L is close to past 3 generation Accord.... and filling it up totally may not be a good idea because there may be room needed for gas vapor recycling?? or anything?? i also find pump station's reading can be quite different, i had seen some reach almost 10% in different..

i don't top off, because i feel i get less fuel. sometimes i start pumping but nothing comes out for 15-25cent so i think each time i squeeze, i lost maybe 300ml there!!
Old 07-16-2003, 10:06 AM
More On

Originally posted by swami
I'm reading between the lines here...Why is he stopping for gas when the TSX apparently looks like it needs gas, but doesn't. I guess you gotta have one to realize that, which I don't. I do remember reading a thread that said the low fuel light comes on real early. That's the point I was driving at. My bad if I was wrong.
See, swami? (Ha!)

This is a first -- usually it's you showing me about MY bad!
Old 07-16-2003, 10:58 AM
Intermediate

This same this happened in my '00 Integra. After the nozzle would automatically stop, I could pull out the nozzle a little and slowly put in another 2.5-3 gallons.
Old 07-16-2003, 12:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

FYI... cold gas is denser and you can put more in a tank... but 4 gallons worth might be pushing it... plus it's summer.
Old 07-16-2003, 01:38 PM
Pro

liquid volume react to temp more than metal, so we get more fuel at lower temp!!! gas expand in summer (30G of Fuel measure by pump station in summer winter may make pump station feel like 33 in summer!!) so i usually fill at nite!!! just my 2 cent.

i will not top up, spill once and don't want to do it again, bad for paint, environment and $$$ too....
Old 07-16-2003, 01:56 PM
Instructor

If you've ever owned a North American vehicle, you know, this is VERY common.

You pump, it's stops.... and you start to top off. You can easily get $2.00 to 2.50 Cdn before it's right up to the brim.

As far as I am concerned, I've always made sure to do this. It gives me a more accurate gas mileage calculation.

TSXKid
Old 07-16-2003, 02:06 PM
Racer

why don't you just stop topping it off? that way you don't have to worry. and if you have navi, use the trip computer, which tells you how many more miles you can go.
Old 07-16-2003, 02:10 PM
More On

Originally posted by ebcheon
why don't you just stop topping it off? that way you don't have to worry. and if you have navi, use the trip computer, which tells you how many more miles you can go.
'cause we don't wanna stop again for a REAL LONG time.
Old 07-16-2003, 02:12 PM
Cruisin'

Just move to Jersey where they pump your gas for you. I never debate on whether or not to top off!
Old 07-16-2003, 02:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by gogozy
liquid volume react to temp more than metal, so we get more fuel at lower temp!!! gas expand in summer (30G of Fuel measure by pump station in summer winter may make pump station feel like 33 in summer!!) so i usually fill at nite!!! just my 2 cent.

i will not top up, spill once and don't want to do it again, bad for paint, environment and $$$ too....

i don't think it matters when you fill your tank... most gas stations tanks are underground where the temperature doesn't fluctuates as much.

Anyway, i think the point of the thread isn't about overfilling or capping off your tank... it's about the advertised fuel tank size being smaller then it really is.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:58 PM
More On

Originally posted by DEVO
.....Anyway, i think the point of the thread isn't about overfilling or capping off your tank... it's about the advertised fuel tank size being smaller then it really is.
I think you're misreading this one. The point is, why the pump shuts itself off when there's really so much room left in the tank.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:51 PM
Moderator Alumnus

sorry... double post.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:52 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by DEVO
i don't think it matters when you fill your tank... most gas stations tanks are underground where the temperature doesn't fluctuates as much.

Anyway, i think the point of the thread isn't about overfilling or capping off your tank... it's about the advertised fuel tank size being smaller then it really is.
Sorry Larch, that is exactly what I am talking about.

I'll repeat it again: when I fill it up untill it overflows, I stop for a few secs, and see the gas level go down the tube. so I figure the gas is settling inside the tank, just like a soda would right after filling up your glass. Note that at this point, I have put already around 60litres/16 gals. So I slowly pour in some more gas, and I end up adding up to another 15 litres / 4 gallons.

Do the math: total fill: +/- 20 gallons / 75litres
tank capacity: 17.19 gallons / 65litres.

I am presently in the process of adding up a huge mileage on my present gas fill, I have already travelled 994.8km / 621.75miles on this single tank, and still have some gas left to last me to about 1060km / 662.5miles. That is just humongous. I am amazed. Needless to say, the big fill has something to do with this.

But what's more, is half of that mileage has been done with the AC on, and the other half in rainy weather, sometimes driving rain. No ideal conditions, and still this mileage.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:54 PM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Re: Overfill gas tank??

Originally posted by Brad
In severe cases, cut-offs can occur multiple times right after you initially start to pump. It's happened to me a number of times.
so thats why that happens. I've always wondered what the hell was going on
Old 07-16-2003, 09:00 PM
More On

Sorry Larch, that is exactly what I am talking about.

I'll repeat it again: when I fill it up untill it overflows, I stop for a few secs, and see the gas level go down the tube. so I figure the gas is settling inside the tank, just like a soda would right after filling up your glass. Note that at this point, I have put already around 60litres/16 gals. So I slowly pour in some more gas, and I end up adding up to another 15 litres / 4 gallons.

Do the math: total fill: +/- 20 gallons / 75litres
tank capacity: 17.19 gallons / 65litres.

I am presently in the process of adding up a huge mileage on my present gas fill, I have already travelled 994.8km / 621.75miles on this single tank, and still have some gas left to last me to about 1060km / 662.5miles. That is just humongous. I am amazed. Needless to say, the big fill has something to do with this.

But what's more, is half of that mileage has been done with the AC on, and the other half in rainy weather, sometimes driving rain. No ideal conditions, and still this mileage.
Sorry, sauceman and especially DEVO -- my bad!

Yes, I was the one who misunderstood (I think others did too). I can't help wondering if there's some artifact or anomaly going on here, because -- wouldn't you think that Honda/Acura KNOWS the size of the tank, and that they certainly wouldn't want to understate it???

BTW, regarding the A/C: In the TSX, A/C just doesn't eat up much gas.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:19 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Sorry, sauceman and especially DEVO -- my bad!

Yes, I was the one who misunderstood (I think others did too). I can't help wondering if there's some artifact or anomaly going on here, because -- wouldn't you think that Honda/Acura KNOWS the size of the tank, and that they certainly wouldn't want to understate it???

BTW, regarding the A/C: In the TSX, A/C just doesn't eat up much gas.
What I believe is that their gas tank is rated ok, since I top off at the right amount of gas. Only then, I can slowly add another fair amount of gas, as if this extra gas was slowly overflowing into an extra reservoir. My guess is if this is so, it would probably be to prevent spills...

BTW, it's not your fault Larch, I had a hard time expressing myself right. I was pretty tired from a very stressful day. I wasn't at my best. My bad...
Old 07-16-2003, 10:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

say cheese....
Old 07-16-2003, 10:17 PM
More On

....BTW, it's not your fault Larch, I had a hard time expressing myself right. I was pretty tired from a very stressful day. I wasn't at my best. My bad...
Yes, it is -- not for being wrong, but for being so sure I was right!

Apologies to swami too -- My bad!
Old 07-17-2003, 08:14 AM
Pro

my bad
i will try fil it to 70L too, my wife told me she filled 68L into TSX, i asked her which station then i started to call that station F@#$@#% cheating.

now i know the pump did not lie...
Old 07-17-2003, 03:17 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Okay, here are the numbers:

So I filled up today, I had about 5 litres (1.32 gal) left in the tank when I pulled over to the gas station. As usual, the gas nozzle topped at 60 litres (15.9 gals). I gently and slowly kept on pouring more gas in, until I saw the gas level go right up to the mouth of the tube, and stay there. Then I knew it was definitely full. I had pumped 72 litres (19.04 gals). Add to that the 5 litres already in the tank before I pulled in, and it gives you a total capacity of 77 litres (20.37 gals).

So here are also numbers of the gas mileage I did: 1094 km / 683.75 miles with 72 litres / 19 gals, good for 43mpg (Canadian) / 36mpg (US).

Not bad..
Old 07-17-2003, 07:07 PM
More On

.....So I filled up today, I had about 5 litres (1.32 gal) left in the tank when I pulled over to the gas station.....
How did you know that???????
Old 07-17-2003, 08:33 PM
A-TSX Driver...

I have already travelled 994.8km / 621.75miles on this single tank, and still have some gas left to last me to about 1060km / 662.5miles.
This seems too good to be true... I don't have the navi, so I can't tell how far I can go before I run out of gas...I usually fuel up on Friday's but after reading this, I'm going to see if I can make it to work and back! If I run out of gas now, I'm not going to be happy...
Old 07-17-2003, 09:13 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Because the pump fist topped off at 60litres, meaning the gas had reached the nozzle. Anyways there couldn't be more in it, with the mileage I had done. I wasn't even expecting to make it there.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:14 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by hondaboy_tsx
This seems too good to be true... I don't have the navi, so I can't tell how far I can go before I run out of gas...I usually fuel up on Friday's but after reading this, I'm going to see if I can make it to work and back! If I run out of gas now, I'm not going to be happy...
Carry a small 1 gal canister in the trunk just in case. I always have mine with me, and it comes in handy sometimes.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:33 PM
More On

Carry a small 1 gal canister in the trunk just in case. I always have mine with me, and it comes in handy sometimes.
Not considered a good idea, you know.

Anybody else do this?
Old 07-17-2003, 09:40 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Anybody else do this?
It's what they all say. I have never had or heard of any problems due to that. Anyways, since the TSX has anchors in the trunk, it is always strapped, never loose. Maybe someday I'll meet my maker, but I doubt it. And you can be sure that running out of gas in Northern Quebec is not a happy situation, especially in winter, so I do carry a few just in case things.
Old 07-18-2003, 07:47 AM
Pro

1094km with 72L. that is impressive.. .. my tsx got 450K with 60L on 2nd tank, :'( :'(

my wife does 80% of driving, don't know how she drive.... lead foot?? can high heel has anything to do with it? hehehehe
Old 07-18-2003, 07:59 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by gogozy
1094km with 72L. that is impressive.. .. my tsx got 450K with 60L on 2nd tank, :'( :'(

my wife does 80% of driving, don't know how she drive.... lead foot?? can high heel has anything to do with it? hehehehe
...Oops! Hahaha
Old 07-18-2003, 10:24 AM
Nuke

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Anybody else do this?
If the can has never been used for gasoline, this would not be a problem If there are gasoline fumes in the tank, a small spark (ie from your brake lights or tail lights could ignite the vapours. That is why I would only carry a propane tank in the passenger compartment after filling it.
Old 07-23-2003, 01:04 PM
wiz
Pro

I think the navi is telling him those numbers...but who knows how accurate that really is...
Old 07-23-2003, 01:37 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by wiz
I think the navi is telling him those numbers...but who knows how accurate that really is...
Nope. No navi. But since I'm always on the road and calculating, I do get to know my stuff pretty well.

Quick Reply: Overfill gas tank??