Ordering an '05

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 09:03 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Ordering an '05

I know there have been bits and pieces where different people have ordered the '05 TSX, but there aren't too many details as to how that works the best. I have been talking to a saleswoman for several weeks, and now that the 2005 is available to order, she says I can put a $500 refundable deposit down and can order the combination I want. I think I ought to agree to a price before I order, but obviously the pricing hasn't been released.

1. Should I force them to agree to a price (relative to the unknown MSRP) before ordering from any one dealership?

2. At this point should I be concerned with interest rate for financing? Or does that take place the day it is delivered?

3. What else should I look for before ordering and putting down a deposit?

I just don't want to order a car, wait 2 months and find out they don't want to budge on the price. It seems they would have the upper hand as I sit in the dealership on delivery day looking out the window at the color combo/tranny/navi that I want, but they want MSRP for it.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:21 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
It's not like there's a huge line of people that are going to buy every one that comes available. There will be plenty to go around.

You don't have any bargaining power until other dealers have them. Putting a deposit on a car that you don't know the price of sounds like a pretty crazy idea. The dealer knows that you're desperate for the vehicle so there's next to no incentive for them to discount because they know you're not going to go anywhere else.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:24 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with Dan. Just wait a little while longer (like me ), then you will have a little more negotiating power.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:27 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
this is not exactly an exotic car. never NEVER ever drop down a deposit unless you have agreed to in writing...unless you want to go thru future pain and suffering of getting that back.

i got a printed quoted price before giving them my credit card - it's easier to walk right out if you have no obligations.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:36 AM
Racer

Buying power and a good poker face

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
You don't have any bargaining power until other dealers have them. Putting a deposit on a car that you don't know the price of sounds like a pretty crazy idea. The dealer knows that you're desperate for the vehicle so there's next to no incentive for them to discount because they know you're not going to go anywhere else.

The fact that I could place my order with any other dealership that gives me a better price doesn't give me any power? It's not really desperation, its kinda like I order one now, I get it in December (what she told me) . Err, maybe I'm getting a bit ancy since I have been stalking this car for a year and a half....maybe it is desperation. I better work on my poker face...
Old 09-13-2004, 07:52 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Martin
It's not like there's a huge line of people that are going to buy every one that comes available. There will be plenty to go around.

Just wait it out.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:17 PM
Race Director

Received 630 Likes on 506 Posts
All the details should be out in a couple of weeks - just hang out here till then .
Old 09-13-2004, 02:26 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeff Krebs in '05

I ordered an '05 about two weeks ago and just negociated according to MSRP. I obviously did my shoping between 4 different dealerships and worked out a pretty good deal IMHO. I got $500 off the MSRP and $500 dollars off the options that I put on the car (ASPEC Ground Effects and Interior Titanium Kit.) The sales manager at the dealership that I bought from says that there aren't really any new additions to the '05 except heated mirrors, power passanger seat, XM, and steering wheel illumination, and of coarse a few hundred more on the sticker price. To make a long story short, I don't thing there is any clear advantage to waiting until they are released on the lots. All you have to do is demonstrate to the salesman that you've done your homework and deal in terms of MSRP. Then again, I also could be an ignorant fool......... It remains to be seen. All I know is that I have a frickin' sweet 05' TSX with my name on it in a couple of months. Hope I was of some help. Good luck
Old 09-13-2004, 04:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by JeffKrebs
I ordered an '05 about two weeks ago and just negociated according to MSRP. I obviously did my shoping between 4 different dealerships and worked out a pretty good deal IMHO. I got $500 off the MSRP and $500 dollars off the options that I put on the car (ASPEC Ground Effects and Interior Titanium Kit.) The sales manager at the dealership that I bought from says that there aren't really any new additions to the '05 except heated mirrors, power passanger seat, XM, and steering wheel illumination, and of coarse a few hundred more on the sticker price. To make a long story short, I don't thing there is any clear advantage to waiting until they are released on the lots. All you have to do is demonstrate to the salesman that you've done your homework and deal in terms of MSRP. Then again, I also could be an ignorant fool......... It remains to be seen. All I know is that I have a frickin' sweet 05' TSX with my name on it in a couple of months. Hope I was of some help. Good luck

What did they approximate your delivery date to be?
Old 09-13-2004, 04:55 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Master47
What did they approximate your delivery date to be?
They said early November...
Old 09-13-2004, 05:34 PM
Cruisin'

We have a 2005 on order. We negotiated the price based on an amount over invoice.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:13 PM
8th Gear

I just ordered an 05 6MT CG/Ebony because the closest 04 I could find that matched the color is CA. I negotiated a price $500 over invoice. Now it's a waiting game.

I have one question though... I am interested in getting fog lights installed. If I have the dealer install them before I take delivery, will they be covered by the 4yr/50000 mi warranty? What about installing them myself or a dealer install after delivery, what kind of warranty is ioffered then?

I have heard differing stories from local dealers and don't know what to believe. Does anyone know the real story?
Old 09-15-2004, 05:43 AM
Racer

Wow...$500 over invoice on an '05 at this point in the game, that's pretty impressive, that's along the lines of sleeping with the sales manager as someone put it. Any ballpark idea of the delivery date? How did you get the price down so low? Did you have several dealers competing for the best price, or was it one trip to one dealer and 5 hrs later after twice walking out?
Old 09-16-2004, 11:01 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by MachOne
I just ordered an 05 6MT CG/Ebony because the closest 04 I could find that matched the color is CA. I negotiated a price $500 over invoice. Now it's a waiting game.

I have one question though... I am interested in getting fog lights installed. If I have the dealer install them before I take delivery, will they be covered by the 4yr/50000 mi warranty? What about installing them myself or a dealer install after delivery, what kind of warranty is ioffered then?

I have heard differing stories from local dealers and don't know what to believe. Does anyone know the real story?

To get the fogs covered by the 4?50 you need to have it put in by then on a Due Bill (one of the documents you sign when you buy the car, usually agreeing to the terms of the purchase).

If you put them in yourself or later, then the have a standard 12 month/12K miles parts warranty which covers defects. EX: if the switch breaks or something like that.

And to the guy who stareted this thread....why get an 05? We are at the end of 2004, you can probably get a better deal on one, the miles/per will always be favorable to you, and the 05 is not changing at all...
Old 09-16-2004, 04:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
And to the guy who stareted this thread....why get an 05? We are at the end of 2004, you can probably get a better deal on one, the miles/per will always be favorable to you, and the 05 is not changing at all...

I like XM, as I travel a lot out of range of decent radio stations. Plus, I won't be ready to buy until late October/early Nov. Plus, I'd rather have an '05. I will never win an '05 arguement as 99% of everyone on this board has an '04 or wants one.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

don't place a deposit without some form of written agreement as to when you get the car, price, etc...

otherwise the dealer will sell the car that was destined for you because they know they have you as a buyer, somebody walking off the street see the car, the dealer isn't going to hold it for a person who already placed a deposit. they are going to sell it, because they know they can make 2 deals.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:58 PM
Racer

Well, I visited two dealerships this past weekend, with no luck getting any type of price agreement for an '05. (not even relative to the unknown MSRP) So I will be waiting until the new pricing comes out before I order. I see the TL was raised $250 on MSRP for MY05, but I don't think that has much bearing on what to expect for the TSX.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:10 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Master47
Well, I visited two dealerships this past weekend, with no luck getting any type of price agreement for an '05. (not even relative to the unknown MSRP) So I will be waiting until the new pricing comes out before I order. I see the TL was raised $250 on MSRP for MY05, but I don't think that has much bearing on what to expect for the TSX.

Considering the TL is a complete carryover, I would expect a slightly larger increase on the TSX.