Optima 51R

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 01:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeydabomb
What exactly is the difference between the 51 and 51r? I looked it up on Optima's website and found this about the two batteries...

the difference is that the R has reversed positive and negative terminals, i believe
Old 12-04-2007, 04:27 AM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by evil_acura
this might be a noob question but when u guys say optima yt51 is the d51 the same?? im lookin at the optima page

http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/
D51 8071-167
---
SC51DA 12V 38 AH 450 CCA 560 CA Small 66 Case Size Category: Small
9.25 x 5.0 x 9.0"
Height includes 1" terminals 26.5 lbs Top Post $179.95
(includes shipping)
Online ordering page
Yes. YT means yellow top. And on Optima's website the yellow tops have D in the beginning of the part number.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:10 AM
Midwest TSXer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If you guys have an Advanced Auto Parts store around, they have cheaper prices on the D51R's..I picked one up for $139.99. As for the question about the differences in lettering. Here is the breakdown

YT51 = D51 Terminal posts are the correct way (same as OEM)
YT51R=D51R Terminal post are reversed (opposite OEM-must turn battery 180* to use the battery cables correctly. *The top of the battery is covered by the tie down, so unless you are anal about it , you won't see it.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:51 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ruffellprefley
the difference is that the R has reversed positive and negative terminals, i believe
ahhh.... I should have known that! Thanks.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:43 PM
Driver/Detailer

Originally Posted by KingTSX
YT51 = D51 Terminal posts are the correct way (same as OEM)
YT51R=D51R Terminal post are reversed (opposite OEM-must turn battery 180* to use the battery cables correctly. *The top of the battery is covered by the tie down, so unless you are anal about it , you won't see it.
You shouldn't follow the sticker as a guide for the orientation of the terminals. The right battery is the one with the terminals towards the firewall side and the positive terminal closest to the engine. That is the D51R. Look at the pics below:

Having said that, both batteries will fit the TSX because the battery wiring has a bit of flex to accomodate the different terminal position.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:36 PM
Instructor

51R is the correct battery per Honda. Not to say that others won't fit. If any of you went on the Hot Rod Power Tour this summer, one of the two Corvettes in the Optima booth had 51 Yellow Top in it, so if will start a 505 hp V8, it should have no problem starting a TSX. I have a 51R Yellow in my 2008 TSX, a 35 Yellow in my Chevy and Red top 34s in my daughter and wife's Jeeps.

An Optima has more initial voltage so the CCA are really higher than the rating. Someone mentioned Batteries Plus, they have them, Interstate Battery, Advance Auto, AutoZone can get them, plus a bunch of people I don't know carry the Optima 51 and 51R. The 51 and 51R only come in Yellow.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:45 AM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

if you have costco membership, they carry yellow tops and red tops.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mg7726
if you have costco membership, they carry yellow tops and red tops.
specifically the YT51R?
Old 12-05-2007, 03:26 AM
Instructor

I bought my ’04 in October of 2003, so the winter that’s just starting is the car’s fifth. With that in mind, I’d pretty much convinced myself that I ought to replace the OEM battery now – probably with an Optima – even though it’s given no indication of getting weak.
As part of a service visit back in February, the dealership checked the battery and got a CCA reading of 370. (I believe they said the battery’s rating when new was 410; dunno whether that’s accurate. I’m sure the number has been posted here before, but I haven’t looked for it.)
Well, I was in for service last week and they checked the battery again. It’s down to 357, which doesn’t seem like a huge drop in 10 months, and the car continues to start fine, even with overnight low temps in the high teens or low 20s.
Maybe I’m being overly optimistic, but I’m thinking the battery will probably make it through this winter without trouble.
Thoughts? Related experiences?
Old 12-05-2007, 04:47 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rx280
I bought my ’04 in October of 2003, so the winter that’s just starting is the car’s fifth. With that in mind, I’d pretty much convinced myself that I ought to replace the OEM battery now – probably with an Optima – even though it’s given no indication of getting weak.
As part of a service visit back in February, the dealership checked the battery and got a CCA reading of 370. (I believe they said the battery’s rating when new was 410; dunno whether that’s accurate. I’m sure the number has been posted here before, but I haven’t looked for it.)
Well, I was in for service last week and they checked the battery again. It’s down to 357, which doesn’t seem like a huge drop in 10 months, and the car continues to start fine, even with overnight low temps in the high teens or low 20s.
Maybe I’m being overly optimistic, but I’m thinking the battery will probably make it through this winter without trouble.
I would get a new one battery because of age, but then again, we make the Genuine Acura Replacement . You live in a mild climate without allot of heat, so batteries last longer.

The Acura dealer can get you an Optima 51R through the Honda Power Equipment group. The Optima 51/51R also fits the big Honda generators.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronng
The right battery is the one with the terminals towards the firewall side and the positive terminal closest to the engine.
Why do the the terminals need to be on the firewall side? Is there actually a safety rationale, or is it just because the OEM cables are meant to connect at that point and distance?
Old 12-05-2007, 10:56 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by rx280
If you're at 357 you're in better shape than me-the ambiguous graph on my last oil change receipt which says 'battery replacement highly recommended' shows mine at or below 12.55v and 319 CCA. But the tech said 'you may have a year left.' Still see solid blue ring in circle. Car and battery are thirty seven months old at 20,000 mi. Am torn at the moment bet the two Optima colors. Want the CCA and warranty of the Red because I have no deep cycling needs, but the 'perfect fit and recommended' Yellow may get the nod. I'm sure its CCA's are more than adequate and one site said the Y would last longer than the R if you did not employ its d/c feature. But its warranty is only a year.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:18 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rifleman
If you're at 357 you're in better shape than me-the ambiguous graph on my last oil change receipt which says 'battery replacement highly recommended' shows mine at or below 12.55v and 319 CCA. But the tech said 'you may have a year left.' Still see solid blue ring in circle. Car and battery are thirty seven months old at 20,000 mi. Am torn at the moment bet the two Optima colors. Want the CCA and warranty of the Red because I have no deep cycling needs, but the 'perfect fit and recommended' Yellow may get the nod. I'm sure its CCA's are more than adequate and one site said the Y would last longer than the R if you did not employ its d/c feature. But its warranty is only a year.
My OEM stock battery had 12.60v and 360CCA when they checked in summer, but it had failed twice in this winter and force me to Optima.... I Love the new Battery...
Old 12-06-2007, 09:43 PM
Driver/Detailer

Originally Posted by DAYTA
Why do the the terminals need to be on the firewall side? Is there actually a safety rationale, or is it just because the OEM cables are meant to connect at that point and distance?
Yes, it's because the OEM cables connect to the OEM battery at that point and distance. But since the cables can be shifted slightly, you won't have problems fitting the 51 in the TSX.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:25 AM
Racer

I need a new battery bad. My battery has already died out on me like 5 times already. Just died out on me again tonight.

I had it on for maybe 5 minutes to tune my amp for my sub and it just went dead.

btw, I drive a 6spd 06
Old 12-07-2007, 07:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by zidenx
I need a new battery bad. My battery has already died out on me like 5 times already. Just died out on me again tonight.

I had it on for maybe 5 minutes to tune my amp for my sub and it just went dead.

btw, I drive a 6spd 06

Stop wasting your time and get the Yellowtop. You'll never miss the OEM.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:56 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I just ordered a 51R today and I'll get it tomorrow. Hopefully it's as good as they say!
Old 12-10-2007, 08:18 PM
Professional Newbie

Mine's coming tomorrow, I can't wait. Is there anything I need to do after I before/after I install it that isn't obvious?

Do I have to leave the car running for any length of time to condition the battery?
Old 12-11-2007, 12:51 AM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
I just ordered a 51R today and I'll get it tomorrow. Hopefully it's as good as they say!
DAN, where's the AUTO Shiftknob?????

Anyways, you can get it @ Costco for $135CDN + Tax, probably cheaper than order it from da State.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:56 AM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
where are some of you ordering yours?
all the places by me don't carry the 51r
so should i order from online?
Old 12-11-2007, 02:35 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by lcrazyaznl
Optima website lists all outlets-Pepboys, Advance Auto, Interstate-avoid batteriesplus-they quoted me $299 for the YT!. Personally some of the hype is wearing off on me-don't care for the one year warranty and another year pro-rate for the recommended YT. I'm considering the Duralast Gold-500 cca's , three year free replacement and eight year pro-rate- eighty bucks at Auto Zone.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:35 AM
Instructor

Optima website lists all outlets-Pepboys, Advance Auto, Interstate-avoid batteriesplus-they quoted me $299 for the YT!. Personally some of the hype is wearing off on me-don't care for the one year warranty and another year pro-rate for the recommended YT. I'm considering the Duralast Gold-500 cca's , three year free replacement and eight year pro-rate- eighty bucks at Auto Zone.
Just remember that warranties are a function of marketing.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronng
Yes, it's because the OEM cables connect to the OEM battery at that point and distance. But since the cables can be shifted slightly, you won't have problems fitting the 51 in the TSX.
Sorry, I'm still not seeing the safety rationale. I understand that the cables aren't meant to be contorted to connect to an aftermarket battery. Still, if they can be manipulated without too much strain, what's the harm?

On a side note, YT51 still running strong despite the relatively cold weather .
Old 12-11-2007, 01:19 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

I just pick up a RT instead because of the higher CCA, even tho it's like 8-10lbs heavier, but I never look back since. Got it @ Costco for $139+TAX here, pretty good deal.

There's clips on the side (bottom) of the battery cable, unclip it from the OEM position and you should be able to comfortablely connect to aftermarket battery post (terminal).
Old 12-12-2007, 05:34 PM
Instructor

BatteriesPlus price has been fixed. It should be $179.

Also, battery warranty is a function of marketing not performance.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:38 PM
Professional Newbie

I just put mine in last night. I wasn't blown away, but then again I'm not sure how I could really be that impressed by it. The engine turns about 3 times before it starts up, much better than before, although not as fast as my Lexus or MB start up.

Altogether I'm very happy with my purchase.

All of my issues with lights flickering at idle seem to be gone though, and the car had no trouble starting after spending ten minutes with the engine off. Also, I would assume that the battery will get better over the next couple days after it builds up some charge, as I'm sure some of the initial charge deteriorated during the time it spend in inventory and shipping.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by madmanmax3000
I. Also, I would assume that the battery will get better over the next couple days after it builds up some charge, as I'm sure some of the initial charge deteriorated during the time it spend in inventory and shipping.
Since the yellow top is a deep cycle battery, it will get stronger after about 6 months of use because all of the active material will have been converted.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:39 PM
Photography Nerd

I installed my D51R last night and everything is working ok. I expected it to have more grunt for starting the car this morning when it was -4c, but it really didn't seem all that different than stock.

I know that the ECU delays the start for a couple revolutions for emissions reasons, but the starter motor just didn't seem to have much torque (as usual)...
Old 12-13-2007, 01:01 AM
Advanced

Does a stock, non-nav TSX used once or twice a week in the NY/NJ area have any conceivable need for the recommended YT? Have read all the ridiculous activities (wenching, trolling, golf carts etc etc) requiring 'deep-cycling' and none apply to this vehicle or the way most people use it-unless occasional once a week driving qualifies.

OTOH, the excessive power (900 CCA) of the RT may NOT be recommended either. An article on battery selection in CR advises not to purchase more than 200A over what the car calls for/needs. The OEM is 410CCA.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:39 PM
Advanced

Anyone know where I can pick up a YT51R in Toronto, Canada? Seems like no one has it, and Interstate Batteries says they won't have it for a while... and no one ships up here, and that its Christmas so shipping is probably going to take ages.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:53 PM
CL9 ABP

Same here in buffalo haven't found any.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:59 PM
Instructor

Same here in buffalo haven't found any.
Did you try Advance?
Old 12-14-2007, 01:19 PM
CL9 ABP

Yea i found them instock had to call the store to check.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:16 AM
Advanced

Wow, called up a place and they wanted $305 for the battery and it had to be special order... I hate Canada. Anyone know of any other Canadian retailers? This is getting ridiculous... Walmart only carries red and bluetops.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:40 AM
Photography Nerd

These guys are in Vaughan and can have it in 2 days for $140: http://www.onestopautocentre.com/
Old 12-15-2007, 05:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DixonTSX
Wow, called up a place and they wanted $305 for the battery and it had to be special order... I hate Canada. Anyone know of any other Canadian retailers? This is getting ridiculous... Walmart only carries red and bluetops.
Can I ask you who it was?
Old 12-16-2007, 03:12 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by timd38
Can I ask you who it was?
It was a retailer that Dan Martin originally told me about, can't think of the name of the top of my head, but now that he's gotten a new hook up for it, looks like it won't be bad too long

THANKS DAN!
Old 12-16-2007, 09:10 AM
Photography Nerd

I don't know why the first shop quoted you that much for the battery, I paid around $200 there.
$200 was still $60 too much apparently...
Old 12-17-2007, 08:36 AM
Advanced

WOW! What is this with my inability to get a YT51R? So I called those guys at One Stop Auto Centre like Dan said in the previous posts, at BOTH of their locations I might add, and they tell me they can't special order the YT51R and that they ONLY carry Interstate batteries.

I feel so out of options.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/

Yeah, its $179, but that includes shipping.

Quick Reply: Optima 51R