Optima 51R

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 05:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ruffellprefley
does the red top 35 fit without any modifications to the battery area, i.e. custom tie-down or reinforced tray or anything? from what i understand from the OP, the 51R YT requires nothing but stock parts and no modification to them.
I'm using the stock tie downs, I just put the Comptech plate on for looks. The reason I chose the 35 is for more CCAs (720 vs 500 at 0 F and 910 vs 625 at 32F) and the reserve (90 vs 70). Just remember, the benefits of the yellow top is its recovery.... not something I need.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:41 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Checking all of the Optima-related posts can leave you a trifle confused, so can someone who knows FOR SURE tell me:
Is switching to the 51R (Yellow Top) a drop-it-right-in, no-modifications-required proposition??? (Meaning that the terminal posts are where you want them to be and that the battery case and the car’s battery tray and tie-downs don’t need bending or cutting.)
And do I understand correctly that going with the Optima 35 (Red Top) necessitates making some changes (i.e. cutting, bending or doing away with the battery tray)?
Old 11-27-2007, 06:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by rx280
Checking all of the Optima-related posts can leave you a trifle confused, so can someone who knows FOR SURE tell me:
Is switching to the 51R (Yellow Top) a drop-it-right-in, no-modifications-required proposition??? (Meaning that the terminal posts are where you want them to be and that the battery case and the car’s battery tray and tie-downs don’t need bending or cutting.)
And do I understand correctly that going with the Optima 35 (Red Top) necessitates making some changes (i.e. cutting, bending or doing away with the battery tray)?
No, the Optima Redtop 35 doesn't require any changes at all, per my previous posts. It should be shipped with top on it that you can use to raise it up and it all bolts in with the stock stuff. I only put the Comptech tie down for dress up.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:15 AM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
51R is a direct fit, everything is the same as stock. The 35 is a larger battery and you'll have to remove the stock battery tray. But you can still use everything else as stock.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:26 PM
Professional Newbie

So are cold cranking amps exactly what I think they are? Just more current flows when it's cold out?

Also, if I'm planning on getting some UR Pulleys and maybe upgrading my sound system in the near future is the Yellow Top a must, or should I still consider the Red Top?

I live in the Boston where it gets quite cold...
Old 11-27-2007, 01:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by madmanmax3000
So are cold cranking amps exactly what I think they are? Just more current flows when it's cold out?

Also, if I'm planning on getting some UR Pulleys and maybe upgrading my sound system in the near future is the Yellow Top a must, or should I still consider the Red Top?

I live in the Boston where it gets quite cold...
If a sound system is in your future, then the Yellow top is the better choice as it has a better recovery rating. It still gives you a good amount of CCAs, so no worries there.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:40 PM
Driver/Detailer

The yellowtop can be discharged with little loss of overall capacity. The redtop is not meant to be discharged to low capacity (will lose capacity over time) but provides higher CCA. If you like to listen to your system with the engine off, then go for the yellowtop.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:21 PM
Instructor

Sorry to say I’m still in a bit of doubt. Moda_way says the 35 “doesn't require any changes at all” and aaronng says if you go with the 35 “you'll have to remove the stock battery tray.” I see that JTso posted a message in April that says the 35 “will work but you have to remove the original battery box.” So, moda, are you or aren’t you using the battery tray (or box**)? My best guess at this point is that if you want to just be able to simply remove the OEM battery and put in an Optima without having to make ANY changes, you've got to go with the 51R.
** I assume the terms – tray and box – are being used interchangeably here.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:01 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

6- Battery Box
7- Battery Cover

Do you have to remove part #6?
Old 11-28-2007, 04:11 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
u need to toss the box AND the tray to make a 35 series fit. they are really not necessary anyways for drycell batteries because there is no risk of leakage.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Sorry to say I’m still in a bit of doubt. Moda_way says the 35 “doesn't require any changes at all” and aaronng says if you go with the 35 “you'll have to remove the stock battery tray.” I see that JTso posted a message in April that says the 35 “will work but you have to remove the original battery box.” So, moda, are you or aren’t you using the battery tray (or box**)? My best guess at this point is that if you want to just be able to simply remove the OEM battery and put in an Optima without having to make ANY changes, you've got to go with the 51R.

Never doubt moda_way, especially since I have the damn battery in my car right now. Changes in my mind mean having to re-route wires, or bend or physically change the battery area. All you gotta do is remove the dang box and tray, which will come out the second you remove the OEM battery and put the Redtop in there with its riser (which comes on top of the battery delivered).

Any other doubts?
Old 11-28-2007, 05:44 PM
Burning Brakes

no more doubts here about fitment, but is the RT35 in the same price range as the YT51R? only reason i ask, is that batteriesplus, where i would likely buy either/or doesn't list a price for the RT35
Old 11-28-2007, 06:18 PM
Driver/Detailer

Just take out the stock battery tray and use the clear plastic cover that comes with the Optima 35 as your new battery tray.

There aren't any modifications/changes at all. Don't tell me you are afraid of lifing out the plastic battery tray in case it voids warranty?
Old 11-28-2007, 06:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jiggaman
u need to toss the box AND the tray to make a 35 series fit. they are really not necessary anyways for drycell batteries because there is no risk of leakage.
We make OE batteries for Hondas that are built in the US and Optima batteries and those two parts are not for acid retention, but heat. I put the 51R in my 2008 and installed the heat shield.

Will the battery work without it? Sure it will, but heat is what kills batteries and if you look the heat shield is open on one side because air is coming in to reduce the battery temperature from the grill/headlamp area.

Since a 51R is available, why not use the size that Honda engineered the car for.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Air is going to move around my Optima just fine without the shield. Besides, sitting in traffic during summer or in a parking lot, do you think that "heatshield" is going to really insulate/cool the battery any more significantly than one in the open engine bay? The cover inlets are right behind the headlamp anyway, so I'm not doubting you, but seriously, if Honda wanted to engineer this area, they shouldn't have picked Panasonic's battery. Use the 51R or the 35, both are significant improvements over the stock POS and work.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:46 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by moda_way
The cover inlets are right behind the headlamp anyway, so I'm not doubting you, but seriously, if Honda wanted to engineer this area, they shouldn't have picked Panasonic's battery. Use the 51R or the 35, both are significant improvements over the stock POS and work.
I was in a discussion with a customer looking for a cheaper, sorry more cost effective battery, and they use Asian cars as an example. The part the he didn't know is that cars in Asia and Europe only have a one year warranty, so they don't need a good battery. The US, Canada, and now Mexico are the only countries that have 3, 4 or 5 year warranties. That's why Honda can get by with the Panasonic battery. The volume of cars shipped to the US are small for the population of cars that they sell either as either a TSX or Accord.

The group 35 is fine, but some people don't like to change their cars.

Lead has gone for about $0.43 a pound three years ago to $1.70 a pound today and an Optima has LOTS of lead, so the price has gone up to cover the increased material costs.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:49 PM
Driver/Detailer

^^ Not true. It's still a 3 year warranty in Asia.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:46 AM
Instructor

Never doubt moda_way, especially since I have the damn battery in my car right now. Changes in my mind mean having to re-route wires, or bend or physically change the battery area. All you gotta do is remove the dang box and tray, which will come out the second you remove the OEM battery and put the Redtop in there with its riser (which comes on top of the battery delivered).

Any other doubts?
My simple goal was to find out whether either of the Optima batteries could be used without removing or altering the tray/box or the tie-downs. I’m now confident that I know what I’d have to do if I elected to go with the 35.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:36 AM
Suzuka Master

My simple goal was to find out whether either of the Optima batteries could be used without removing or altering the tray/box or the tie-downs. I’m now confident that I know what I’d have to do if I elected to go with the 35.
Great thing about this site, we're here to help, suggest, give an opinion or just give folks a hard time to spice up life. I will add that my Comptech battery tie down doesn't do anything more than the OEM one as far as fitment.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 14 Posts
Just to add my ...

I recently upgraded my battery. When I went to Advance Auto Parts, they had both the YellowTop 51 and 35 in stock (I'm going to upgrade my stereo soon, so I need a YT).

I tried fitting the 51 and the 35 in my car, and they both fit fine (the tray/cover removal to fit the 35 takes less than a minute). However, I ended up going with the YT51 mostly for the fact that it was lighter than YT35 by 10lbs. Our cars are already too heavy as it is, so since both batteries were significant upgrades from the OEM shiet, I wanted to minimize the added weight as much as possible. Also, I feel like the 35 would be overkill while the 51 was specifically designed for Hondas/Acuras.

As a side note, I went with the 51 and not the 51R like others have mentioned because the posts on the 51R only line up if you put the battery front-to-back. Being the anal-rententive prick that I am, I didn't like having the "Optima" lettering upside down, so I went with the 51 which also fits perfectly fine.

Also, I would advise anyone who is looking into the Comptech supercharger kit to add a new battery during the install. My car died on me while idling on the OEM battery - not even a sputter with my Optima YT51 .
Old 11-29-2007, 04:34 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where can I find YT51 in Toronto, Canada? Or should I order it online?

I only find RT35 @ Walmart for now, and the Optima site didn't list any dealer for Canada region.

Thanks
Old 11-29-2007, 07:56 PM
Driver/Detailer

Originally Posted by DAYTA
I tried fitting the 51 and the 35 in my car, and they both fit fine (the tray/cover removal to fit the 35 takes less than a minute). However, I ended up going with the YT51 mostly for the fact that it was lighter than YT35 by 10lbs. Our cars are already too heavy as it is, so since both batteries were significant upgrades from the OEM shiet, I wanted to minimize the added weight as much as possible. Also, I feel like the 35 would be overkill while the 51 was specifically designed for Hondas/Acuras.
You'll be surprised to learn that older Hondas like the Prelude and older Accords came with batteries the size of the 35.

Originally Posted by DAYTA
Also, I would advise anyone who is looking into the Comptech supercharger kit to add a new battery during the install. My car died on me while idling on the OEM battery - not even a sputter with my Optima YT51 .
Keep us updated. Usually, the alternator is the one that provides electrical power when the engine is running.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:48 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Well, since I can't stand the stock battery anymore, I just went to Costco to purchase one. The one I got is called RedTop 75/35 w/ 720CCA, I think it's the right one? Charging up right now and will post comment later.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:48 PM
Midwest TSXer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
As a side note, I went with the 51 and not the 51R like others have mentioned because the posts on the 51R only line up if you put the battery front-to-back. Being the anal-rententive prick that I am, I didn't like having the "Optima" lettering upside down, so I went with the 51 which also fits perfectly fine.
No one is looking at your battery, they are looking at the new Comptech Supercharger under the hood
Old 11-30-2007, 12:21 AM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

The new battery seems pretty damn full, it only took about 15mins to fully charged (100%), where my stock battery took about 6hrs to fully charged. Even so, my stock battery seems pretty dead when I tried to start up with full charge in this weather.

It took me about 30mins to install the new Optima battery, most of the time has spent on tiny up all wires and figure out the height (use of tray). Took my car out for a spirit drive and WOW, the inital response felt much better than my fully charge OEM battery, and my car start up so confident like a piece of cake *** (Not making this up or placebo effect because I've also felt a big differences when the OEM battery has charged up compare than before). Overall, it's well worth the money~~!!!
Old 11-30-2007, 05:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by chuson
The new battery seems pretty damn full, it only took about 15mins to fully charged (100%), where my stock battery took about 6hrs to fully charged. Even so, my stock battery seems pretty dead when I tried to start up with full charge in this weather.

It took me about 30mins to install the new Optima battery, most of the time has spent on tiny up all wires and figure out the height (use of tray). Took my car out for a spirit drive and WOW, the inital response felt much better than my fully charge OEM battery, and my car start up so confident like a piece of cake *** (Not making this up or placebo effect because I've also felt a big differences when the OEM battery has charged up compare than before). Overall, it's well worth the money~~!!!

Cranks like a mother now... right? I love it. No more of that weak chugga chugga shyte. I've come to be accustomed to mine now, but that first cold crank I had to do a week ago, reminded me of how sucky that OEM battery is. My only issue now is where to take my stock battery for recycling. We have this batteriesplus store up the street who is going to restore my DeWalt 18v batteries, so I wonder if they could recycle them....
Old 11-30-2007, 12:22 PM
Advanced

Acura tech told me my OE battery (3 yrs old/only 20,000 mi) is down to 50% capacity and should be 'replaced.' Though he added it may have a year left. Out of the 3 year warranty by a month or two-but should have pressed him on a pro-rated replacement since mileage is so low.

Local Advance stores only have YT D51R on sale for @ $150. CCA are only 460-80. Seems low. They know nothing about the RT 51R coming back, but another source told me they expect them in January. Since the RT is more suitable for my needs may just hold out for the arrival of the updated 51R.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Cranks like a mother now... right? I love it. No more of that weak chugga chugga shyte. I've come to be accustomed to mine now, but that first cold crank I had to do a week ago, reminded me of how sucky that OEM battery is. My only issue now is where to take my stock battery for recycling. We have this batteriesplus store up the street who is going to restore my DeWalt 18v batteries, so I wonder if they could recycle them....
You should be able to return your battery to where you bought the new one and get a deposit back. I did mine at Auto Zone.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by chuson
Where can I find YT51 in Toronto, Canada? Or should I order it online?

Thanks
Call your local Interstate Battery dist.

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/w...to/default.asp

If he doesn't have it he can get it.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by LoveMyTSX
You should be able to return your battery to where you bought the new one and get a deposit back. I did mine at Auto Zone.
Bought it online, so no go on that.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:08 PM
Advanced

Called optima and claimed no new RT 51R is in the pipeline. If you want the perfect fit you gotta go with the Yellow. Since I have no deep cycling needs (though one website claimed the yellow may actually have a longer life span than the red if you don't engage in excessive dc). Still partial to the red for its greater CCA and warranty. The local RT one I've found has a model #35-925 at a buck twenty eight. All other RTs on the web are simple model #35 at @ a buck and a half.

Btw, as I look at my OE the red positive terminal is on the left, black on the right. And yet the recommended Y51R (R for reversed terminals) show them the opposite way. Does this matter? Also, is the 'freshness' date on these batteries as important as with all other conventional brands?
Old 12-01-2007, 05:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Air is going to move around my Optima just fine without the shield. Besides, sitting in traffic during summer or in a parking lot, do you think that "heatshield" is going to really insulate/cool the battery any more significantly than one in the open engine bay? The cover inlets are right behind the headlamp anyway, so I'm not doubting you, but seriously, if Honda wanted to engineer this area, they shouldn't have picked Panasonic's battery. Use the 51R or the 35, both are significant improvements over the stock POS and work.
How about the D35?
Old 12-03-2007, 12:10 AM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Originally Posted by rifleman
Called optima and claimed no new RT 51R is in the pipeline. If you want the perfect fit you gotta go with the Yellow. Since I have no deep cycling needs (though one website claimed the yellow may actually have a longer life span than the red if you don't engage in excessive dc). Still partial to the red for its greater CCA and warranty. The local RT one I've found has a model #35-925 at a buck twenty eight. All other RTs on the web are simple model #35 at @ a buck and a half.

Btw, as I look at my OE the red positive terminal is on the left, black on the right. And yet the recommended Y51R (R for reversed terminals) show them the opposite way. Does this matter? Also, is the 'freshness' date on these batteries as important as with all other conventional brands?
Well, I don't know where you get your sources, but YT only has 51 or 51R that fits the TSX; where the RT only has 75/35 fits the TSX.

D35 is the same thing as 75/35 that's on the Optima Battery label.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:51 AM
Professional Newbie

So we can use the 51 with no modification? Or do we need the 51R?
Old 12-03-2007, 07:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 14 Posts
So we can use the 51 with no modification? Or do we need the 51R?
Yes, you can use the 51 without modification. I added one a few weeks ago with no issues at all. It fits perfectly into the stock position.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:21 PM
Advanced

what's the difference between the 51 and the 51r? also, anyone know of a cheap place to buy in cincy, ohio?
Old 12-03-2007, 08:32 PM
Professional Newbie

Where are you guys buying the yellow top from? I tried the website posted earlier in the thread and they said they were out of stock and didn't have any shipments planned. I also tried my local autozone and they didn't carry optima.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:10 PM
Intermediate

What exactly is the difference between the 51 and 51r? I looked it up on Optima's website and found this about the two batteries...

Old 12-03-2007, 09:32 PM
Instructor

this might be a noob question but when u guys say optima yt51 is the d51 the same?? im lookin at the optima page

http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/
D51 8071-167
---
SC51DA 12V 38 AH 450 CCA 560 CA Small 66 Case Size Category: Small
9.25 x 5.0 x 9.0"
Height includes 1" terminals 26.5 lbs Top Post $179.95
(includes shipping)
Online ordering page
Old 12-04-2007, 01:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Where are you guys buying the yellow top from? I tried the website posted earlier in the thread and they said they were out of stock and didn't have any shipments planned. I also tried my local autozone and they didn't carry optima.
is there a batteriesplus in your area?

check @ batteriesplus.com

Quick Reply: Optima 51R