Which one....TL or TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 01:50 PM
TSXmeister

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Which one....TL or TSX?

I was all set to buy a TSX this coming spring but now my wife threw me a curve ball, she is now interested in the TL and it got me thinking a lot. What are your thoughts about the TL? and which car do you prefer TSX or TL?
Old 01-01-2006, 02:09 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should post this over at the TL forum as well, of course there is a bias towards TSX's here.

As for me, I drove both of them, the TSX had no rattles when new, was made in Japan and had no torque steer(probably because it has no torque!). Torque steer in my previous car drove me crazy, I couldn't deal with it again so that was the straw that broke the camels back. Paired with the rattling interior and overall larger car that was less nimble the TSX seemed to be the obvious choice. While not fast, its cheaper to own/operate and I am young single guy so the slightly smaller car is nice. The TL's leather was a little nicer, but the interior didn't "flow" the way the TSX's does. That's why I bought a TSX over the TL
Old 01-01-2006, 03:41 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think it really depends what you're lookin for.the TL is surely bigger and alot more power.....but as stated earier...the tsx is made in japan....its a little better on the gas and the interior flows better....either one is a great choice....if i had to do it again....i think i wouldve bought the tl though....just for size....however the tsx is a little more unique....not as many around...which can be a good thing...lol
Old 01-01-2006, 03:48 PM
Master in Science

TSX is a better value. The TL edges out on hp and a few more features. I agree about the torque-steer -- the TL has major issues. I felt it was too powerful for a FWD. It should be RWD, or AWD.

I like the TL on the outside better; and I wish my TSX had the side protectors like the TL. My car is full of dings.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:06 PM
Racer

06 TSX has updated NAV (faster processing w/ Zagat ratings) +Ipod jack +updated cluster display
Old 01-01-2006, 06:33 PM
Have camera, will travel

TSX definitely.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:37 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I currently own an '06 TSX and previously owned an '02 TL Type S.

I like the TSX better overall. The only major difference between the 2 cars is power. I thought I'd miss the power in my TL, but I don't. From a stop the TSX is much slower in comparison, but I've never felt that the TSX wasn't powerful enough when I actually NEEDED the power (accelerating to change lanes, merging into traffic on the highway, etc.) It's plenty powerful when you're already moving and need "more".

In my opinion, save the $6,000 and get the TSX. It's more fun to drive, has an iPod/auxillary jack, has 60/40 folding rear seats (very important to me), seems to be built better than the TL and has a better navigation system than the '06 TL. Now that the '06 TSX has Bluetooth, there just aren't that many differences to warrant the price difference unless you really need the larger engine or regularly haul 5 people around (the TSX is really only good for 4).
Old 01-01-2006, 06:53 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Is Torque steer really that much a pain? I actually want torque steer, which means I have a car that doesnt need to be revved to the moon to be moved. I've been lusting after an Altima SE 3.5 for that reason.

To answer the question, I would get the TL cause its really not that much more money.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:05 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by calgary2800
Is Torque steer really that much a pain?

I actually want torque steer
WTF is wrong with you, you like not being in control of your car while driving having it drift into another lane or off the road during hard acceleration

To answer the question, I would get the TL cause its really not that much more money.
Its not that much more money, but your not getting much more for it. It depends what your priorities are
Old 01-01-2006, 07:05 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Is Torque steer really that much a pain? I actually want torque steer, which means I have a car that doesnt need to be revved to the moon to be moved. I've been lusting after an Altima SE 3.5 for that reason.

$5500 is not much more money?
Old 01-01-2006, 07:18 PM
Billy M

i could of chosen between either a tsx and a tl, the money didn't matter to me, because i wanted an 06 tsx and a 05 tl would of been just fine, the difference would of only been a couple thousand or so.

here is why i chose the TSX:

first the superficial stuff, i simply prefer the look of the tsx, especially on the outside, its very clean and simple, however, i did like the TL instrument panel better than the TSX

I chose the TSX because of the better navigation (zagat, and faster processor, supposedly better overall) also because it was a little bit smaller, i live in NYC and every inch counts driving and parking, so that meant a lot to me and finally I like the wheels better on the TSX, of course, I could have always switched them on the TL, but I keep my car stock, except for the little italian flag i put on the back of it, which i will do when I pick it up next week!
Old 01-01-2006, 10:29 PM
Pro

lol @ the italian flag on the back.

i do not own a TSX nor a TL, and if i would to chose it would be TSX all the way.
A. to save the money
B. i am 24, and i don't think the TL represents that age group, however the TSX has that universal feel to it.
other reasons of course, made in japan, better on gas, folding rear seats, better nav, aux.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:35 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by Tireguy
You should post this over at the TL forum as well, of course there is a bias towards TSX's here.

As for me, I drove both of them, the TSX had no rattles when new, was made in Japan and had no torque steer(probably because it has no torque!). Torque steer in my previous car drove me crazy, I couldn't deal with it again so that was the straw that broke the camels back. Paired with the rattling interior and overall larger car that was less nimble the TSX seemed to be the obvious choice. While not fast, its cheaper to own/operate and I am young single guy so the slightly smaller car is nice. The TL's leather was a little nicer, but the interior didn't "flow" the way the TSX's does. That's why I bought a TSX over the TL
i'm liking the TSX for numerous reasons. I don't think i'd even consider the TL. If i was jumping up to that price, i'd be shopping other brands i think. I love the TSX for the money, i don't love the TL for the money (doesn't seem to add much value over the TSX except for the 5th passenger comfort and the power)

Originally Posted by slo007
TSX is a better value. The TL edges out on hp and a few more features. I agree about the torque-steer -- the TL has major issues. I felt it was too powerful for a FWD. It should be RWD, or AWD.

I like the TL on the outside better; and I wish my TSX had the side protectors like the TL. My car is full of dings.

i hate those side protectors. i park away from everyone else or try to park next to ncier cars, i know cant always happen, but i try.

PS. torque steer sucks, and don't believe anything otherwise.

I say get the TSX, if you want something bigger, i'd test drive a few, because i'm not hot on the TL. love the RL though.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:33 AM
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
What Acura needs to make is an SH-AWD RL with a 6-speed manual. Ah, huh. That's right. Listening Acura???
Old 01-02-2006, 12:34 AM
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
That would be the "shizzite" IMO!
Old 01-02-2006, 07:36 AM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by slats
What Acura needs to make is an SH-AWD RL with a 6-speed manual. Ah, huh. That's right. Listening Acura???
I think a SH-AWD TL with a 6 speed would be a better car for them. RL's aren't selling that well compared and this way they would more directly compete with the G35x.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:56 AM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^ that and allow the driver to bias the % of power to the rear wheels
Old 01-02-2006, 09:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The dealer I was at was really trying to push the '05 TL on me but I really just wasn't interested.
If I were shopping in cars that class, I'd be much more interested in the G35 sedan which felt more luxurious than the TL.
I think the reclining rear seats of the G35 sold my mom on it

And I really don't like the blue markers on the TL cluster/speedometer.

TSX is smaller, more nimble, better gas mileage, and looks better IMO.
The only thing I liked about the TL more was the leather. It makes the leather of the TSX feel like plastic
Old 01-02-2006, 10:56 AM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by mg7726
^^ that and allow the driver to bias the % of power to the rear wheels
I'm not asking for a miracle!
Old 01-02-2006, 10:56 AM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by psteng19
The only thing I liked about the TL more was the leather. It makes the leather of the TSX feel like plastic
Old 01-02-2006, 03:12 PM
TSXmeister

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks all for the feedback....some good points on the TSX which I also thought of before posting the subject - compactness of the car, exterior styling, instrument panel, good gas mileage (especially since the car will be use as a daily driver). Not too worried about the power of the engine it's got enough IMO. One thing here where I live I see very few TSX on the road and when you see one it does generate some looks from the other drivers so its kind of unique as one member pointed out. The next phase for me is to test drive both vehicles and see the driving dynamics of each vehicle. Either one I choose at the end I'll be staying with the Acura family also FWD is a must especially here during winter, handles way better than RWD. Additionally the one thing that might sway me to the TL is the availability, when I visited one of the dealership recently their shipment of 2006 TSX almost been sold out only a couple remained in the lot (mostly white color) while I saw a whole bunch of 2006 TL in their lot. Hope when March/April timeframe rolls in thats when I'm ready to buy hopefully they have some TSX in their lot.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:36 AM
10th Gear

I've never posted before, but I've been browsing the forums ever since I got my car two years ago.

The problem I see with my tsx is that many people are associating it as a girl car. Perhaps its due to the lack of power coupled with the fact that I'm only at a college level where my peers associate power with manliness. I guess my saving grace is that I got mine in stick, but I wish I had gotten the regular accord sometimes or maybe even just waited a bit for the G35.

Now, my brother drives a stick G35 and it bothers me to no end.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:49 AM
Luke 1:37

First off, this has been discussed alot, so there's plenty of threads out there that argues for both sides. With that said...

I have a 05 TSX and my gf has a 05 TL.

- Looks...when they're both stock, the TL wins hands down in my opinion.
- Options...I'd say they are both equal except for some little things.
- Interior...I'd say the TL wins there, but slightly.
- Driving fun...hands down the TSX
- Price...obviously the TSX by $5000.

In the end, I'm glad I chose the TSX because with the extra money, I was able to get suspension, wheels, body kit, etc... for under $3000. So I still saved $2000 with all the mods. Plus my car looks way better than a stock TL now.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:29 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by psteng19
Are you seriouse? Our leather sucks ass! I'd rather have FORD leather in my car...at least I know it wont leave imprints of my hand or ass on it!
Old 01-04-2006, 08:45 AM
Instructor

I had a tough time making this very decision. I guess for 5-6k less, I thought the TSX was a better value. Plus with all the updates on the '06's I felt that I had similar features minus power and size.

With some light modding and an '06 Hondata reflash (if it ever comes out), I think the car will be getting to closer to my sweet spot. The TL is probably overkill on power for FWD. It seems Honda's forte is slick shifting manuals, powerful 4 cylinders, and long standing reliability which I think defines the TSX.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:29 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by virtualbong
First off, this has been discussed alot, so there's plenty of threads out there that argues for both sides. With that said...

I have a 05 TSX and my gf has a 05 TL.

- Looks...when they're both stock, the TL wins hands down in my opinion.
- Options...I'd say they are both equal except for some little things.
- Interior...I'd say the TL wins there, but slightly.
- Driving fun...hands down the TSX
- Price...obviously the TSX by $5000.

In the end, I'm glad I chose the TSX because with the extra money, I was able to get suspension, wheels, body kit, etc... for under $3000. So I still saved $2000 with all the mods. Plus my car looks way better than a stock TL now.

I'm gonna have to disagree on a few points. Only because i'm not a big fan of the TL tail lights, or the line down the side. I like the styling of the TSX better. though i saw a TL with the body kit and it looked pretty sick.

options: too close in options for the price difference to be justified.

interior: been a while since i sat in the TL and i really like the TSX, so that's a tough call for me.

Driving....TSX SO MUCH FUN.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:21 PM
05 ABP NONAV BONE STOCK

I don't like the non-nav radio look-n-feel at all in the TL. It looks cheap in comparison to the non-nav radio in the TSX. Actually I like the whole TSX dash better than the TL. The TL dash reminded me of a Buick (a nice Buick).
Old 01-04-2006, 02:40 PM
VSA Rocks

Originally Posted by Tireguy
WTF is wrong with you, you like not being in control of your car while driving having it drift into another lane or off the road during hard acceleration

To the thread starter, you already stated that your wife want the TL. Being a married guy for 3 years now, I have a feeling you'll end up with the TL....
Old 01-04-2006, 02:43 PM
05 ABP NONAV BONE STOCK

Old 01-04-2006, 03:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by cusetsx
I don't like the non-nav radio look-n-feel at all in the TL. It looks cheap in comparison to the non-nav radio in the TSX. Actually I like the whole TSX dash better than the TL. The TL dash reminded me of a Buick (a nice Buick).
I agree with this comment. If you plan to get non-navigation model, the TSX looks better. The TL's amber radio looks weird because the rest of its interior is blue.

However, as a TSX-owner I really think that the TL is worth every penny of the extra money you would spend. It has more power, more interior space and trunk space.

In terms of look, I strongly prefer the TSX. The TL looks too Americanized (not that there's anything wrong with that, mind you) while the TSX looks more European and sportier.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:49 PM
Desi TL Limo

Talking

Originally Posted by lamster
I agree with this comment. If you plan to get non-navigation model, the TSX looks better. The TL's amber radio looks weird because the rest of its interior is blue.

However, as a TSX-owner I really think that the TL is worth every penny of the extra money you would spend. It has more power, more interior space and trunk space.

In terms of look, I strongly prefer the TSX. The TL looks too Americanized (not that there's anything wrong with that, mind you) while the TSX looks more European and sportier.
Totally agree with that. Only bought the TL because I had an offer I could not refuse and am totally in love with it. I do however perfer the interior styling of the TSX which seems more upscale to me and totally agree with a previous poster who noted the dash and gauge cluster to be "Buickesque." The blue hue in the speedo looks a bit tacky next to the TSX's white cluster. I appreciate the size of the TL now though since I have a 1 year old whose child seat fits comfortably in the back and still leaves room for two more passengers in the back. The TSX would have kept me feeling like a 20 something, and the TL has got me feeling like I'm in my 30's already (although its not far off)!

My saving grace on the exterior styling was that I chose one with the factory A-SPEC body kit. TSX with with the A-SPEC kit doesn't look as agressive and nice. Stock for stock (no body kit), TSX looks better IMO though.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:56 PM
Intermediate

I wouldn't buy a TL because it has a tape player in it. How old school...
Old 01-06-2006, 02:14 PM
05 ABP NONAV BONE STOCK

Originally Posted by TorontoR
The TSX would have kept me feeling like a 20 something, and the TL has got me feeling like I'm in my 30's already (although its not far off)!
Wait... So I'm 33 and drive a TSX should I feel younger? If so I'm glad I didn't buy a TL because I'd evidently feel like I was in my 40's!
Old 01-06-2006, 02:22 PM
Desi TL Limo

Talking

Originally Posted by cusetsx
Wait... So I'm 33 and drive a TSX should I feel younger? If so I'm glad I didn't buy a TL because I'd evidently feel like I was in my 40's!
LOL, the A-Spec kit on the TL is the saving grace which adds that youthful aggressive look!
Old 01-06-2006, 02:26 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by TorontoR
Totally agree with that. Only bought the TL because I had an offer I could not refuse and am totally in love with it. I do however perfer the interior styling of the TSX which seems more upscale to me and totally agree with a previous poster who noted the dash and gauge cluster to be "Buickesque." The blue hue in the speedo looks a bit tacky next to the TSX's white cluster. I appreciate the size of the TL now though since I have a 1 year old whose child seat fits comfortably in the back and still leaves room for two more passengers in the back. The TSX would have kept me feeling like a 20 something, and the TL has got me feeling like I'm in my 30's already (although its not far off)!

My saving grace on the exterior styling was that I chose one with the factory A-SPEC body kit. TSX with with the A-SPEC kit doesn't look as agressive and nice. Stock for stock (no body kit), TSX looks better IMO though.
I wasn't a fan of the TLs console after comparing them, either.

The TL may have a larger trunk, but the rear seat doesn't fold down.

The TSX is working just fine with a car seat and a 5mo old and I've had 2 passengers in the back at the same time.

As a TSX owner, I do NOT think the TL is worth every penny more, else I'd have bought it ($$ was not the deciding factor). But that's just me.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:36 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by vitocorleone
I wasn't a fan of the TLs console after comparing them, either.

The TL may have a larger trunk, but the rear seat doesn't fold down.

The TSX is working just fine with a car seat and a 5mo old and I've had 2 passengers in the back at the same time.

As a TSX owner, I do NOT think the TL is worth every penny more, else I'd have bought it ($$ was not the deciding factor). But that's just me.
i agree. i don't see any compelling reason, other than engine power, to purchase the TL. i'd skip to the RL quicker...
Old 01-06-2006, 06:50 PM
Racer

i prefer tsx look but i loved tl's interior, its stunning
Old 01-06-2006, 06:55 PM
TSX: Boeing Dreamliner!

I don't know but it looks to me as the TL's styling has aged. I was at the dealer doing some service on the TSX and when I looked at the TL beside the TSX, only the front looks as good on the TL as the TSX. The rest of the car doesn't look nearly as good as when I first saw it. Just my opinion. The TL's LED lights in the back are great though. And I agree with someone who said the A-SPEC TL really gives the stock TL a noticable kick in terms of look.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:07 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by Ellas9
I don't know but it looks to me as the TL's styling has aged. I was at the dealer doing some service on the TSX and when I looked at the TL beside the TSX, only the front looks as good on the TL as the TSX. The rest of the car doesn't look nearly as good as when I first saw it. Just my opinion. The TL's LED lights in the back are great though. And I agree with someone who said the A-SPEC TL really gives the stock TL a noticable kick in terms of look.
I couldn't have said it better
Old 01-06-2006, 07:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TSXmeister
I was all set to buy a TSX this coming spring but now my wife threw me a curve ball, she is now interested in the TL and it got me thinking a lot. What are your thoughts about the TL? and which car do you prefer TSX or TL?
too late for you TSXmeister

Quick Reply: Which one....TL or TSX?