One more 6mt review (long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 04:57 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One more 6mt review (long)

Found this user review on another site and thought it was worth sharing. Its very well written and accurate in alot of ways.

I just took delivery of a Carbon Gray/Ebony 6-speed without navigation, and I thought I would add one more to the cache of reviews here.

Don't let the Acura badge fool you. The TSX is the purest expression of the Honda spirit available with 4 doors. It is lightweight (for its class), well-balanced, well-engineered and ergonomically perfect. It is not the most luxurious car in its class by a long stretch, and it will not blind and dazzle number freaks. But it is untrammeled joy to drive.

Critics who complain that the (6-speed) TSX lacks character have never started the engine or touched the shifter. The heart and soul of the TSX is here. The motor and tranny are supremely well-matched and both beautifully put together.

The engine sounds like a big four, which it is, when you start it. At and immediately above idle it is just a little boomy, transmitting four-cylinder vibration through the seats and pedals. Most big long-stroke fours (such as those from Nissan or GM) just get more raucous as the revs build. That is not the case here. From 2000 rpm on up the Honda mill is smooth and refined, and it builds revs as easily as a motor with half its stroke. There is more noise than torque below 2000 rpm, but from 2000 to redline the motor pulls strongly and without hesitation. The engineers did a marvelous job with this motor, helping reinforce the belief that Honda makes the best fours in the world.

The transmission's short gearing makes the engine feel even stronger. Even in sixth gear the engine is in the meat of its powerband at highway speeds. Fifth and fourth can be used around town. And flooring it in first will cause VSA intervention (or massive wheelspin if you prefer) every time. Shifting is often necessary but is a delight. The throws are short and the action is both positive and effortless. The clutch is equally light and precise, and the engagement point, of course, is just right. Honda and BMW make the best manuals in the world, and this one has most of BMW's beat. (The only better one I've personally encountered is, of course, in the S2000.)

The lightweight engine/transaxle combo is surely a big contributor to the TSX's excellent handling. (I don't think a V6 version would be nearly as satisfying, especially since the engine is way out beyond the front axle.) It is very rare to find a front-drive car that maintains its composure through bumpy turns as well as the TSX does. The limit of adhesion is fairly high, but the car really distinguishes itself over broken pavement and sudden dips. I have tried harder than the local constabulary would probably like to get the car to bottom out or lose track of the pavement, and I have not yet succeeded. You will never forget that the car is front-drive, and it is possible to induce some torque steer in curves or on tilted pavement, but this is absolutely as good as front-drive gets, and is better than many performance-oriented rear-drivers.

By now you have figured out that the TSX is a marvelous driver's car, both entertaining and confidence-inspiring. All of this does come at something of a price. The TSX is not a luxury car, either in presentation or in performance. Anyone looking for Lexus ES300 coddling will be disappointed by the TSX.

The engine sound is unmistakably that of a four, and it is always audible. Through the "dual" exhaust it takes on a very assertive tone at full throttle, one that those in search of isolation will not appreciate. (But if you like driving through tunnels with the windows open, you'll love it. It is a good successor to my former '89 Taurus SHO in that regard.)

The ride is not harsh, but it is quite communicative. Impacts from bumps are very well damped, but you feel all of them. There is a surprising amount of road noise from the 50-series tires at highway speeds, and as there is little engine and no wind noise you notice it. Through the steering you can tell exactly what kind of pavement you are on.

The seats are relatively narrow, well-bolstered and firm. Like the suspension and steering, they are not designed to disguise bumps or to coddle the passengers. Instead, they keep you in place firmly, help the steering and suspension communicate road conditions, and allow confidence in fast driving. The seats may be too narrow for larger folks; I fit just about perfectly and I am 5'10" and 160 pounds.

The TSX, at 3200 pounds, is substantially lighter than most of its competition. Look carefully at the interior and some of the reasons are revealed. The materials are of high quality, but there is no metal or wood. All dash and door surfaces (except for small leather inserts in the doors) are plastic, and panels are fairly thin. The carpet is also thin and plasticky. Minor details like map pockets, LATCH anchor covers, etc. appear to be designed for light weight instead of beauty. There is no height adjustment or power assist for the passenger seat. Overall, the interior gives the impression of being well-assembled but not luxurious or opulent.

There are some thoughtful details, however. The overhead sunglass holder is a thing of genius. The dash lighting is cool, and the tach and speedo are easy to read from peripheral vision. The famous blue lights serve to make the dash compartment doors (which open with just the right soft touch) easy to see even in pitch dark, without glare. The cell-phone holder in the center armrest is handy. *Every* control is lighted at night. The dual climate controls work well and will enhance my relationship. The steering wheel is small and fat, with the best leather in the car covering it. And the manual lumbar support, unlike in most cars, is actually in the right place.

The projector HID headlights are fabulously bright. They do have a very sharp cutoff. Other posters have expressed concerns about this in dips but I have found that either a little high beam or a little slowing down allows me to see just fine. Now that I'm used to them I don't see the cutoff as a problem. But woe is the driver who encounters you at the crest of a hill and gets the projectors right in the eyes.

The trunk is about as you would expect for a small midsize sedan. The folding seats are better than nothing, but they are of limited usefulness as bracing shrinks the opening between the trunk and interior to a rather small size. Again the carpet in the trunk is thin and lightweight, and feels rather cheap.

The underhood presentation is beautiful. Every single fluid reservoir is immediately visible and surrounded by access space. I've never seen such easy fluid checks. The oil dipstick is on top of the engine cover, which means you have to be careful to avoid drips when checking the oil. There is a hood prop rod instead of struts, which will not please luxury seekers, but will last longer.

The sound system is not going to replace my B&K components and Kappas at home. But it's good enough for a car, which after all is about the worst possible listening environment. The bass is overboosted at rest but sounds about right at speed, where it is competing with tire noise. Treble details come through cleanly but the sound is not too technical. The level will go high enough for any kind of normal listening without audible distortion, but will not allow you to go bumpin' or win stereo contests. The controls in the non-nav version are large and intuitive. (I looked at the nav version and did not like the stereo or climate controls nearly as well. The controls away from the nav screen were small and poorly organized and the ones on the nav screen were too hard to get to.)

But the real beauty of the TSX shows when the stereo is off, the windows are open, and the revs are high. For better or for worse, the car is utterly Honda, which means light weight, a marvelous manual transmission, a high-revving, deep-breathing four-cylinder engine, telepathic steering, and the best front-drive handling in the industry. Don't buy the TSX if you want a luxury car. There are better choices, like an A4 1.8T or an ES300. Buy it if you want a real driver's car -- in the tradition of the GS-R sedan, the '89 Nissan Maxima, the '89 Taurus SHO or the '82 BMW 5-series -- that happens to have four doors.

Old 07-21-2003, 05:59 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A good and very accurate review. This is from a "personal" user verses a newspaper or magazine?
Old 07-21-2003, 06:41 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Yes a personal user, although very well written. I personally really appreciate informed personal reviews as they are often much less biased than mags and (especially) newpapers.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:22 PM
My other "car" is a 4x4

*Every* control is lighted at night?

Every control, except for the steering wheel controls, right?
Old 07-21-2003, 08:43 PM
wiz
Pro

Originally posted by XPLORx4
*Every* control is lighted at night?

Every control, except for the steering wheel controls, right?
Yeah, thats kind of funny, every control but those! I still can't see why they didn't light them, but whatever.

Looks like a pretty good in depth review. If I felt like sitting down and writing something like this I would, but I'd rather do other things.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by wiz
Yeah, thats kind of funny, every control but those! I still can't see why they didn't light them, but whatever.

Looks like a pretty good in depth review. If I felt like sitting down and writing something like this I would, but I'd rather do other things.
Maybe because I told them that would be distracting?
Old 07-21-2003, 09:13 PM
Drifting

Great review fdl, but have you actually driven the car?

EDIT: Ahhh, you didn't write that review. I was trolling on the other side and saw it there and I wondered.
Old 07-22-2003, 07:40 AM
Advanced

That's a very well-written review. I agree with just about everything.

Cheers,

Roger
Old 07-22-2003, 07:57 AM
wiz
Pro

Originally posted by rzee
Maybe because I told them that would be distracting?
If that's the case, then you are to be beheaded immediately!
Old 07-22-2003, 09:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by wiz
If that's the case, then you are to be beheaded immediately!
Hey now, at least I had them put in those reading codes for the blind people.