Oil Change question

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 09:33 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oil Change question

Quick Background: I spent 4 years as an aircraft mechanic in the US Air Force and have done all the work to all my previous cars myself with the exception of replacing the transmission on a 92 Mazda MX-6 (I didn't have the tools to remove the engine to get to it). I'm handy with a wrench and know what I'm doing so please keep this in mind.

OK, now for the question to those of you who do your own oil change. How do you keep the oil from getting all over the floor when you remove the oil filter? I now have a very nice garage and don't want the floor to get stained with oil. My dealer does free oil changes for the life of the car but I'm moving 250 miles away and don't plan on driving all that distance just for an oil change (ya know?).

Before, when I used to change my own oil, I would do it in places where I did not care if a little oil stained the concrete or pavement. I always tried hard to try to keep as much of it in the pan, but some of it always ended up outside and on the floor.

BTW, I'm not even aware of the placement of the filter (i.e. is it screwed in straight up, at an angle, or straight down). I guess I should get under my hood more often, LOL.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:24 AM
gistered User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is a plastic 'Maintenance lid' you remove to access the drain plug. I use a large pail to drain the oil from a (magnetic) drain plug. You can never loose the drain plug in the old oil. The pail is used only for that purpose and the oil is transfered to 1 gal plastic containers; like from ice tea or milk. Once loosened, I cover the oil filter with a large plastic bag–keeping it in place, well above the threaded oil feed pipe and the filter. Of course, it is hand tightened-only, by me to begin with. I have a heavy-duty garage floor mat (8x14' or so) that fits in my garage and sheets from large CB boxes in case of oil that escapes my containment. Oil feed pipe/Oil filter is, on my 05 tsx, right of center looking up once under the car above the axel; nearly perpendicular to the ground, facing towards the back of the car.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:54 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An easy backup alternative you can use in addition, is cut up some cardboard boxes and lay them underneath the width and portion of the oil under your car while doing this. If youre still worried, put a few layers of newspaper under the cardboard.

It will work fine even if you spill a little. Plus makes it easier to slide in and out from underneath. Works for me for years.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:34 PM
still plays with cars

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nogard13
BTW, I'm not even aware of the placement of the filter (i.e. is it screwed in straight up, at an angle, or straight down). I guess I should get under my hood more often, LOL.
The filter is on the rear passenger side - horizontal. And Honda really cheaped out because there is no drip rail to direct the oil, so everything ends up oiled.
Worst mess I've ever seen ... I guess the Honda dealers have a collection pan but I don't.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:49 PM
Site Lurker, Rare poster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The oil filter is behind the passenger side wheel, it's blue on mine when it was OEM. You can see it if you turn your wheel like making a right, it's installed horizontally making it impossible to avoid oil dripping out. I think my boy said it was exactly the same on his 05 Accord incase you know what that layout is like. I used a decent sized oil drain pan with mesh from Autozone, like 8 bucks for 10 gallons or something like that. I also placed some cardboard underneath on the ground too, just in case. Paper towels being handy help too.

I only got like 2 drops of oil on the ground luckily. When I drained my oil I just had the passenger side lifted with wheel removed for easier access. After it seemed all to drain I then lifted the driver side to make it seem flat and even more oil came out. Once that was completely drained seeming I then went for the filter. Prior to removing I made sure that the oil from the drain was done and put the bolt back in.

The filter was installed by the dealer so was a complete B*TCH to get off. I wound up buying a filter adapter from Autozone to get it off. I then maneuvered the drain pan directly under where the filter was to catch the oil that came off. If you unscrew it fast and are able to tilt it back you can avoid a lot of oil dripping which is what I did. I then placed the filter to drain out on the mesh on my drain pan. Some oil did still wind up getting on the stuff under the filter location which was inevitable. I grabbed some paper towels and cleaned up all that area until the towels came back clean...took about 3 or 4 sheets so nothing too bad. I then took the drain pan and put it back under the drain bolt hole and removed the bolt to let any possible excess oil drip out. While doing this I put in like 1/4 of clean new oil into the car without the bolt plug in to push out any excess old oil. IF this did anything or not, not sure but couldn't hurt imo. After that new oil drained out I placed back in the drain bolt and new washer. I prefilled the new filter and placed it onto the car as well, didn't spill any oil when putting it on luckily. Then filled up the oil and turned on the car and let it run for a few minutes to make sure there was no leaking. All was well

The change was fast but the problem was removing the drain bolt and the filter since the dealer last did the oil change. WD40 got the bolt off, a generous amount was needed. Don't even bother to try to get the filter off manually if it doesn't come off after first trying. I wound up taking a piece of skin off my finger and brusing my palm from the force I was using to attempt to remove it. Using a filter wrench did the trick but was still really hard to get it off. Should be a sinch once you DIY though. Hope your stuff isn't like welded on like mine seemed to be haha.

Last edited by sortudo7; 06-08-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:41 PM
Modding newbie

The filter is in a really bad place. They make filter relocation kits you could get to put it in a better place, and mount it just about any way you want. I haven't done it yet, but I'm strongly considering it to keep my drive clean. Until then, I'm stuck with the cardboard and newspaper all over the place routine
Old 06-08-2009, 06:45 PM
User with Skills

get a can of Break Cleaner, gets that crap right out.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:03 AM
Advanced

Most people recommend changing the oil when the engine's warm, however, that seems to be when removing the oil filter makes a mess.

In my opinion, letting the car sit over night, and changing the oil when cold would have allowed most of the oil to reack the pan, thus more of a "complete drain". Also, as an added bonus, removing the oil filter when cold, does not seem to spill everywhere as it does when warm.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:39 AM
Burning Brakes

i did an oil change recently and i didnt drop 1 oil onto my cardboard or driveway.

THe trick is to slightly open the filter and let the excess oil escape slowly and let it turn into 1 stream where it falls into the oil bucket or whatever. then wipe all the areas where the oil touched to prevent left over oil from dripping into your driveway when you drive off.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:09 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
I agree with the 2 previous posters (Kris05TSX and ck123).
Loosen the filter a bit. Then drain the oil from the pan. During the oil pan drain time, the filter seems to release any oil into the oil pan. Another tip is when you remove the filter, keep it horizontal (like the way its on the engine) - no oil will come out. If you want to be sure no oil falls to the ground, place a folded-up paper towel underneath the filter to catch any very slight leakage.

small aside:
I installed a Fumoto valve on the oil drain plug. Now I don't have to deal with loosening the plug. It's a very fool-proof valve that makes draining the pan easy and clean.
http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/

Last edited by darowa; 06-09-2009 at 07:12 AM.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:46 AM
gistered User

Originally Posted by darowa
I agree with the 2 previous posters (Kris05TSX and ck123).
Loosen the filter a bit. Then drain the oil from the pan. During the oil pan drain time, the filter seems to release any oil into the oil pan. Another tip is when you remove the filter, keep it horizontal (like the way its on the engine) - no oil will come out. If you want to be sure no oil falls to the ground, place a folded-up paper towel underneath the filter to catch any very slight leakage.

small aside:
I installed a Fumoto valve on the oil drain plug. Now I don't have to deal with loosening the plug. It's a very fool-proof valve that makes draining the pan easy and clean.
http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/
I've heard about the oil drain valve. Glad it does the job.
I would also recommend removing the oil cap to create an 'air flow' to help move the old oil out through the plug or valve. I don't know if the valve is a possible problem if your car is lowered.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:58 AM
Racer

I'd like to throw this in too.

Since you care about your garage, etc. I would look into floor coatings because your gonna spill no matter how much you try not too. I coated the floor of my garage and a simple wipe with a paper towel would clean up any spill
A cheap garage floor paint has lasted me over 9 years and it was only one coat.

Something to think about.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:08 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The best way to do a "clean" oil change is to remove the front belly pan to get it out of the way and use one of these to direct the oil from the filter into your drain bucket...

http://www.handa-accessories.com/accmaint03.html (part way down the page)

Time consuming, but it works.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
@DiaBando, Good idea about removing the oil fill cap. This allows air to flow into the oil pan when the oil is draining out. It promotes better flow of oil.

further note about the oil drain valve,
The Fumoto oil drain valve sticks down just a little bit (maybe 1/4 inch) than the normal oil drain plug. In my opinion, not an issue. The little access cover for getting into the oil drain area can be put into place without an issue.

Removing the plastic belly pan will affect air flow. Lower mileage (less aerodynamic). Cooling. The factory put it there for some purpose and I am reluctant to remove it.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:27 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Removing the plastic belly pan will affect air flow. Lower mileage (less aerodynamic). Cooling. The factory put it there for some purpose and I am reluctant to remove it.
I didn't say permanently...
Old 06-09-2009, 12:24 PM
Burning Brakes

@DiaBando, Good idea about removing the oil fill cap. This allows air to flow into the oil pan when the oil is draining out. It promotes better flow of oil.

further note about the oil drain valve,
The Fumoto oil drain valve sticks down just a little bit (maybe 1/4 inch) than the normal oil drain plug. In my opinion, not an issue. The little access cover for getting into the oil drain area can be put into place without an issue.

using the drain valve would eliminate the use of magnetic drain plugs. your pick.... simplicity or effectiveness
Old 06-09-2009, 01:59 PM
gistered User

Originally Posted by ck123
using the drain valve would eliminate the use of magnetic drain plugs. your pick.... simplicity or effectiveness
Yeah, about a year ago, on a AZ thread, guys were worried about the drain valve getting damaged on their dropped rides over speed bumps or whatever. They scared me away from pulling the trigger on one. I'm only dropped on the Aspec as of now, but C/Os are in my near future, and so will be the 'huge' speed bumps in the multi-level garage at work.
I'd bet, if I bothered to 'jack-up' the back of the car as well as the front; more oil from the filter would drain out(?). Since the filter is parallel to the ground. Maybe, just a 'notch' higher in the rear, on a level surface; might be enough.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:12 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by poltergeist
I didn't say permanently...
Im getting this, i have a drive way but not a garage...

on windy days, doesn't matter how big your catch pan is... oil gets blown all over the place...

I haven't had that little maintenance door on since first oil change.. i have not notice any huge mpg issues... good constant 32-33mpg on highways and 25-26 locals..

my highway consist of i95 from ny to ct

my local consist of nyc traffics.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:30 PM
Pro

just get a huge oil pan like i did... it's like 1 1/2 ft long and about 10 inches wide? roughly. Holds 15 quarts. no spillage. Leave it under there for a while and let the residue drip down. costs 8 bucks at walmart