Oil Change Fill Capacity Wrong in Manual

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 03:17 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Change Fill Capacity Wrong in Manual

I do all my own maintenance (2004 TSX AT), and just changed oil for the fourth time. The Owner's Manual lists oil fill capacities at 4.2 US Qts. without filter, and 4.4 US Qts. with filter. With each change, I have found these capacities to be greatly understated, and always end up adding more like 5 quarts before I get a full reading on the dip stick. In fact, if I fill strictly per the manual, the oil level doesn't even reach the bottom mark on the dip stick. I've been changing my own oil and performing other maintenance on my vehicles (cars & motorcycles) for more than 40 years, and I've never berfore experienced this discrepency. Anyone else notice this and/or have an explanation?
Old 11-12-2005, 03:32 PM
Banned

hmmm interesting finding.
How many times have you done oil change on the TSX ? You observe the same thing every time ?
Old 11-12-2005, 03:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vifferman
I do all my own maintenance (2004 TSX AT), and just changed oil for the fourth time. The Owner's Manual lists oil fill capacities at 4.2 US Qts. without filter, and 4.4 US Qts. with filter. With each change, I have found these capacities to be greatly understated, and always end up adding more like 5 quarts before I get a full reading on the dip stick. In fact, if I fill strictly per the manual, the oil level doesn't even reach the bottom mark on the dip stick. I've been changing my own oil and performing other maintenance on my vehicles (cars & motorcycles) for more than 40 years, and I've never berfore experienced this discrepency. Anyone else notice this and/or have an explanation?

I away fill mine per the spec and have never had an issue at all. I've got 46k miles on my TSX and always been correctly filled.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Yup, if you to a complete drain and fill, it will take about 5 qts to the full mark.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:37 AM
Advanced

I think there has got to be a grey area when it comes to something like this. The reason being is because when changing your oil the amount it takes to fill it up is quite relative. First, how well did you drain the oil previously? Did you let it come out and then replace the drain plug really quick, or did you let it drip dry for 20 minutes? Also, no matter what, there is always going to still be some oil in your engine. Did you read that thread earlier on CarTalk about that guy who would run his engine for a minute after draining his oil so that he could get more of the used oil out of his engine? How long does the manual expect you to sit there and drain the oil? Do they assume that you drain it and quickly replace the drain plug, or do they assume that you let it dribble out for 20 minutes?

Second, how long did you let it sit after filling the oil? It takes awhile for all of the new oil to settle into the drain-pan. If you fill it and then quickly take a reading, then you are going to get a false low reading. Also, did you run the car before getting a reading? Because all oil filters have an anti-drainback valve which is used to keep oil in your engine from falling back into the drain pan - that way when you start your car you will have more oil in your engine and you won't do so much wear and tear with a dry startup. Also, how level is the ground where you are doing the oil-change? All garage floors by law are required to be on a slight inclide so water will run out if there ever is a water break or something. That means if you drive your car in front first, your car is on a slight incline. The dipstick looks like it goes in the middle of the engine, so the slight incline might give you a false low reading. Although this might not effect it much, it's something to think about.

With so many of these factors I would say it is difficult to nail this down to an exact number. I would guess that 4.4 quarts is probably enough and if you let it sit long enough on level ground it will register on the dipstick. Regardless, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you wanna add a little bit more, you're probably okay (especially after seeing how much oil goes through the PCV valve). If you're trying extra hard to get as much of the used oil out as possible, then I would probably recommend you add a little bit extra...
Old 11-13-2005, 12:47 PM
TSX: Boeing Dreamliner!

I've never changed the oil in the TSX before, but I have been changing oil for years and have found that if one lets the oil drain for 4-5 minutes versus 10 minutes, there won't be a difference of more than 0.2 quarts max. I can't believe that the adding of oil to 5 quarts is because the draining process took longer. Maybe it was checked to fast or something. This is not like changing the tranmission fluid, in that case, doing the appropriate service will result in much more fluid being replaced.

There is a slight possibility that the oil that was put in was not actually 5 quarts, that is, maybe the oil that your using was not measured properly in the packaging you bought it in - since you've changed your oil for so long and obviously know what your doing, I would think that this is the only viable reason for what's going on.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ellas9
I've never changed the oil in the TSX before, but I have been changing oil for years and have found that if one lets the oil drain for 4-5 minutes versus 10 minutes, there won't be a difference of more than 0.2 quarts max. I can't believe that the adding of oil to 5 quarts is because the draining process took longer.
Glad you said this. I've been changing for about 16 yrs and I've noticed the same thing.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:39 PM
Subie Tech

For the Canadian models, it saids 4.4 with oil filter change and I usually need another litre (total of 5.4L) to fill exactly on the top mark.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by JeffTSX
For the Canadian models, it saids 4.4 with oil filter change and I usually need another litre (total of 5.4L) to fill exactly on the top mark.
I just had a Mobil 1 change done - 4.4L, with new filter. It is at the top of the full mark.
Old 11-13-2005, 03:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by JeffTSX
Are you sure it's 4.4L not 4.2L? Because 4.4L = 4.65 qts. The US spec indicates 4.4 qts. The entire capacity is 5.6 qts or about 5.3L. There's a small amount in the oil pump which will not drain out during normal oil changes.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:32 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
What type/size of filter are you using? If you're using an oversized filter, that can explain this situation.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:37 PM
Advanced

I've never changed the oil in the TSX before, but I have been changing oil for years and have found that if one lets the oil drain for 4-5 minutes versus 10 minutes, there won't be a difference of more than 0.2 quarts max. I can't believe that the adding of oil to 5 quarts is because the draining process took longer. Maybe it was checked to fast or something. This is not like changing the tranmission fluid, in that case, doing the appropriate service will result in much more fluid being replaced.

There is a slight possibility that the oil that was put in was not actually 5 quarts, that is, maybe the oil that your using was not measured properly in the packaging you bought it in - since you've changed your oil for so long and obviously know what your doing, I would think that this is the only viable reason for what's going on.
I listed several factors that could cause a grey area when filling the oil, not just the one of a longer draining process. Perhaps each factor I mentioned plays a part and all of them together add up to the difference. Regardless, the packaging machinery used to package the oil is usually pretty precise and is often callibrated. If it is off any it will never ever be off so much that it will make a half quart low over 5 quarts.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:45 PM
Advanced

Also, 4-5 minutes might be considered a long time at a quick lube shop. I've seen them replace the drain plug as soon as the oil stops gushing out, which is probably in less than a minute. As I said, this is all relative and you can't expect to get an exact number.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:32 PM
TSX: Boeing Dreamliner!

I hope that the engine only takes as the manual says...I guess I'll find out soon enough. I'm suprised the 2.4L Accord owners haven't been complaining much and also once you start putting more than 5L it starts sounding like we own a German 4 cyl. engine or something!
Old 11-13-2005, 10:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Keep in mind the manual is only for reference and specification is subject to change without notification. Also, specification sometimes can be printed incorrectly. We all have a dipstick to check oil level. So it doesn't matter if you put in 4.4 or 5 qts, just add whatever amount as needed to keep oil level within spec. I do hope owners actually check the oil level once in a while, instead of relying on what the dealers or oil change places put in.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:36 PM
Instructor

This is exactly what I experience when I change my oil. I use the "Filtech" Honda Filter and end up having to add about 4.8 quarts before the dipstick reads full. I always check my oil after the car has sat in the garage overnight. I am glad that this is "normal".

BTW, I use an oil extractor to suck the oil out of the engine instead of draining...
Old 10-24-2006, 03:08 PM
3rd Gear

Oil Change Amount in Accord 2.4L

Hello: I know this is a TSX forum but I saw a comment, ie. "What about Accord 2.4L..." and as we currrently have 2 Accord 2.4L's (2005 2.4L and 2006 2.4L..slight differences)

The manual says 4.4Qt with Filter (I use standard Honda Oil Filter) and I've noticed that If I add 4.4Qt, the dipstick normally shows 1/2 Qt low. The problem I have now is that on the last oil change, I topped it off and used almost 5 Qt. Couple of days later, checked level and it was slightly above the top mark???

I normally add 4 Qt when I have the car ramped, start the car and have running about 3 minutes (time to back off Ramps, Put Ramps up, pull car into level garage)
then stop car and start checking Level. Naturally, as Oil drains down, the level goes up on the dipstick but is normally still showing at least 1 Qt low at this time. I start adding Oil slowly (giving it time to drain down) and over next 15 minutes, get the level to the top mark on dipstick.

the normal debate I hear is when/how to check the level...some say Honda (and others) plan for the "I'm on the Road driving, stop for gas, and check the oil" situation. Naturally, all the Oil isn't going to drain down when checked. Others say to check in the morning after sitting all night to get all the Oil drained down.

I need to check my other 2.4L to see what it's showing.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:02 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
I usually have to add almost 5 qts. to get mine to the top full mark. I always check it within a few minutes after adding oil.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:35 PM
Racer

I take a 5qt jug of M1 to the dealer for a change....first time I asked where is my left over 1/2 qt? Was told it takes the full five....
Old 10-24-2006, 05:56 PM
2010 TL SH-AWD

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Its better to keep your oil level around the low- middle mark. Having too full will create froth, which is when the crankshaft whips up a nice foam on the top layer of the oil. Then you will have micro air bubbles in your oil. Having air between your bearing is a nice way to have heat marks and prematurely wearing down the bearings.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:41 PM
Because Of You

The paper in the oil filter itself can soak up half the quart. So, it is about right. You can try it. Just pour oil slowly to the new oil filter. It can soak up half the bottle.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by S power
Its better to keep your oil level around the low- middle mark. Having too full will create froth, which is when the crankshaft whips up a nice foam on the top layer of the oil. Then you will have micro air bubbles in your oil. Having air between your bearing is a nice way to have heat marks and prematurely wearing down the bearings.
Yes, that can happen if oil level is way too high. The oil pump on the TSX engine covers up most of the underside crankshaft area. There is a baffle plate covers up the remaining area. Therefore, it's not likely it will happen if only filling up 5 qts. Not to mention the oil level will always be lower when the engine is running.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:42 PM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Damn... the dealer serviced my car last time (I have no means to change oil nowadays ), and they must've overfilled the sh*t out of it because the oil was a 1/4 inch past the full mark on the dipstick. I wasn't happy.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:13 PM
STi'd

i also consistently add 5 qts during oil changes.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by junktionfet
Damn... the dealer serviced my car last time (I have no means to change oil nowadays ), and they must've overfilled the sh*t out of it because the oil was a 1/4 inch past the full mark on the dipstick. I wasn't happy.
I too had a question on this. I saw that my oil level was slightly low, so I added 1 quart of Mobil 1 Synth. The problem was that I didn't wait long enough for all the oil to drain back into the crankcase before I took a measurement :flamesuiton: .

When I got home, I let the car sit for about a 1/2 hour and re-checked the oil level. Apparently, my dumbass overfilled the engine and now the oil level is sitting at around the twist on the dipstick (about 1/4-1/2" above the top dot).

I realize that way too much oil is bad for your engine, but can I get away with just a 1/2 quart too much - or would even that much oil over the limit cause long-term problems?
Old 10-25-2006, 07:33 PM
Intermediate

Personally i have been work on the car for the pass 10 years.The manual is uaully for reference,but still need some skill to process.People wrote the manual not even fix the car.So some of stuffs don't really make sense.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:45 AM
3rd Gear

Filter Size for 2.4L

Just curious, is the Oil Filter for Acura 2.4L the same size as for Accord 2.4L? ie. very small? I normally like to use a larger filter (When I used Mobil1/K&N filters could find a larger but still fits filter) but lately have stuck to the standard Honda filter to avoid any possible Warranty issues.

do many Acura owners go with oversized filters?
thanks,
Gary
Old 10-28-2006, 07:53 PM
Advanced

My car has always taken 5 quarts to hit the top mark so I know what you mean. I've always done all the oil changes on all of my cars.

Are you using ramps? I think this is where the difference lies. The car is on a slight angle and therefore guys like you and I are actually getting a bit more oil to drain out compared to the Iffy Lube placeswhere the car is flat. That is why it's taking 5qts to refill it.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:44 AM
3rd Gear

Taking Oil out thru dipstick

OK...I got a little concerned about the possibility of having too much oil in the engine so decided to "get smart" and bought about 10ft of 1/8" clear tubing and attempted to "suck/syphon" some oil out...no luck. I was able to get a little but not very much. I know they sell devices to drain an engine using the dipstick (some claim they can get more oil out this way than thru drain plug..??) but what am I doing wrong? After breathing some strong fumes, I realized I couldn't do it manually using my mouth so I got the vacuem cleaner and Glad Wrap (to seal) and it appeared it was going to work (saw oil coming thru the tubing) but it wasn't a solid stream of oil but rather oil around the perimeter of the tubing.

Yes, I know that's what the drain plug is for but...
thanks in advance,
Gary