NYC Tint Shops

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 12:19 PM
John Starks - The Dunk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NYC Tint Shops

Sorry if this is not the right place to post, but I posted in the Northeast forum and didn't get any responses.

I am looking to get my car tinted this week, but wanted to know if anyone could recommend a good tint shop. I heard there are some issues with the little black circles on the back windshield, and that there are way to correct this. Also the scratches....

Could you please recommend somewhere which will provide an excellent job in Queens or the Huntington LI area (or any where along the way from LI to Queens). Also if you could, please tell me what type of tint to get. The only thing I really care about is that it doesn't scratch, effect the nav, and that the back is one piece. I am looking to do 35% all around.

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 06-22-2004, 03:56 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big A Detailing
153-18 Northern Blvd
Flushing, NY 11354

Ask for Andrew. Tell him Jerry (with the Gray Saab 9-3) sent you.

Originally I had my 9-3 done by the dealer. No matter what tint was put on, scratches would show up. Finally, I got my money back from the dealer and went over to Big A. He installed felt strips on the interior of the door which was prevents the tint from scratching.

If tint scratching is an issue with the TSX, tell Andrew. They will do their best to find a solution.

I have had 35% on now for quite some time with no scratches!

I believe they use Sungard.

Good luck!
Old 06-22-2004, 05:33 PM
Tuxedo Cat

Originally Posted by yuhoo22
Sorry if this is not the right place to post, but I posted in the Northeast forum and didn't get any responses.

I am looking to get my car tinted this week, but wanted to know if anyone could recommend a good tint shop. I heard there are some issues with the little black circles on the back windshield, and that there are way to correct this. Also the scratches....

Could you please recommend somewhere which will provide an excellent job in Queens or the Huntington LI area (or any where along the way from LI to Queens). Also if you could, please tell me what type of tint to get. The only thing I really care about is that it doesn't scratch, effect the nav, and that the back is one piece. I am looking to do 35% all around.

Thanks in advance guys!
http://www.tintdude.com/ntoo.html

Tinting is pretty much illegal in New York State, so you're unlikely to find anybody who does it openly, and certainly won't be able to easily find out about anybody's reputation. At best, you're likely to be dealing with a "backyard" repair guy who will have limited knowledge and who you won't be able to get to stand behind his work.

Jersey allows tints on the back windows and rear windshield, Conecticut allows it on all side windows and the rear. You could look for a dealer in one of those places, then hope to find a forgiving guy to do your next inspection, but it's risky, as window condition is one of the mandatory inspection items (http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/broch/c-50.htm).

Also, in these times of tight budgets, all cities are being more aggressive than ever about enforcing this kind of stuff. I know multiple people who've been stopped for small stuff like this in recent months in New York. Here in LA I've decided not to tint my front windows even to 50% (I was thinking of doing 50% front and 35% rear). Illegal tints and no front license plates seem to be a favorite target lately, and are often given out by "meter maid" types who notice the offense on parked vehicles.

Sorry, probably not the news you wanted to hear.

VBTSX
Old 06-22-2004, 05:44 PM
1-2-3-4-5-6-speeeeeed!!!!

Lorenzo's tinting, on bronxdale blvd in the bronx, excellent quality but expensive$$$

Just get light tints, 35% and you will be fine, dont go any darker then you are running a risk!
Old 06-22-2004, 06:11 PM
Sile

..BeachTSX, it's actually very popular. You'll find it everywhere.
The back will always be one piece...
Old 06-22-2004, 06:51 PM
Tuxedo Cat

Originally Posted by tsXgtp
..BeachTSX, it's actually very popular. You'll find it everywhere.
The back will always be one piece...
OK, I have always used F1 tints out west, and they don't seem to have a single dealer in the whole state.

It's been a decade since I had a car in NY, but I recall the inspectors did check window condition and objected to something or other (I think the window visors I had on that car). I guess a light to medium tint doesn't cause a problem with them?

I do know lots of people in the city who've been nailed for minor stuff like license plate frames and covers recently. Seems to be a common problem everywhere these days.

VBTSX
Old 06-22-2004, 09:04 PM
7th Gear

Lorenzo's is great place for tint's but you must know someone to catch the price break. I got my first car tinted there. It was a 1999 civic and he charged me $200 for all 4 windows with 35% tints. My 2nd cars Acura MDX 2002 i did down in Washington Heights by Dykemen Street( W. 200tH off Broadway). With my MDX I only needed my 2 front's tinted and he charged me $40. Both place are great to go to. Basically it all depends on how well you trust a area. Lorenzo's is in a decent neighborhood. There is nothing to do while the tinting process is taking place. The guy is Washington Heights works out of a parking garage but does quality work too. The area sucks but if know spanish they won't take advantage of you. I had my last 2 cars tinted and my TSX is tinted. I never got nailed on my tints or questioned.

PEACE!
Old 06-22-2004, 09:35 PM
Racer

yuhoo22,

Check your PM.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:19 AM
John Starks - The Dunk

Thanks for the replies guys.... I will look into this, this weekend although the few in the Bronx and the Heights are out the way.

Venice...tints are no illegal in the NY. There are different opinions on percentages, but most sites I have read say 35% is the limit.

TSXgtp, not all back windshields are one piece. I have seen a lot of them being multiple pieces like I had in my old 92 accord.
Old 06-23-2004, 07:08 PM
Tuxedo Cat

Originally Posted by yuhoo22
Venice...tints are no illegal in the NY. There are different opinions on percentages, but most sites I have read say 35% is the limit.
The only site matters as far as legality is the DMV. People on other sites may have different opinions about how dark you can go without getting caught, but you're taking some risk anytime you do something to your car that's not 100% legal. Not that I don't bend the rules myself, but I'm well aware that a "fix it" ticket is a possibility anytime, and I just want you to be too, especially if you plan to drive your car in any manner that might attract attention. Once you're stopped for anything, cops love to add on any other infractions they notice.

I got caught by this law in 1992, right after it got passed, and found out the hard way. The car I had before that had tinting and I wanted it on the new car too. Back then all the reputable tinters were going out of business and I couldn't find anybody good who would deal with a new car. From others here it sounds like NY is not enforcing the law the way they did when it was new and the tint shops have come back.

Here's the link from the DMV: http://fornax.dmv.state.ny.us/script...va=&p_faqid=28

The actual law is longer but is more specific and uses consistent terminology.
http://fornax.dmv.state.ny.us/script...ated=998512823

The relevant section is pretty clear:

No person shall operate any motor vehicle upon any public highway, road or street:
(1) the front windshield of which is composed of, covered by or treated with any material which has a light transmittance of less than seventy percent unless such materials are limited to the uppermost six inches of the windshield; or
(2) the sidewings or side windows of which on either side forward of or adjacent to the operator`s seat are composed of, covered by or treated with any material which has a light transmittance of less than seventy percent; or
(3) if it is classified as a station wagon, sedan, hardtop, coupe, hatchback or convertible and any rear side window has a light transmittance of less than seventy percent; or
(4) the rear window of which is composed of, covered by or treated with any material which has a light transmittance of less than seventy percent. A rear window may have a light transmittance of less than seventy percent if the vehicle is equipped with side mirrors on both sides of the vehicle so adjusted that the driver thereof shall have a clear and full view of the road and condition of traffic behind such vehicle.

From the others here it sounds like the risk is slim, and that you're probably not going to run into trouble with vehicle inspection. I'd say "go for it," but also understand that any cop who is in a bad mood could hassle you over it, cite you for it, and put you in a position where you had to completely remove the tint on everything except the rear. Not likely to happen, but they're cracking down on crap like this just to get ticket revenue these days, so be forewarned.

VBTSX
Old 06-24-2004, 07:10 AM
John Starks - The Dunk

Thanks for the advice. Because I am a wild and crazy guy, I am going to go for it! (LOL)
Old 07-06-2004, 11:40 AM
Banned

Is $250 a good price for side & rear windows ?
Old 07-06-2004, 12:26 PM
Quattro in.....

In NYC any tint on the front windows are illegal, all lot of people have them and ussually carry a PBA card to get them out of the window tint tickets.

Before you tint you might want to make sure you have or get the felt strip on the inside of the door for each window to prevent scratching problems.

Here are the links to threads on this forum talking about the window tint scratching problems:

Window tinting getting scratched

Felt issue
Old 07-06-2004, 12:27 PM
John Starks - The Dunk

I would say that is expensive. I have been quoted generally in the $150-$180 range. I believe the place I am going to go to said $160 and they use Tint tek with Lumar tints.

I would believe that combination would yield a higher price.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Viking
Before you tint you might want to make sure you have or get the felt strip on the inside of the door for each window to prevent scratching problems.

Here are the links to threads on this forum talking about the window tint scratching problems:

Window tinting getting scratched

Felt issue
Thanks Viking...that's great info !
After reading about the scratching/felt installation issue...I am having 2nd thoughts about tinting. I don't want door panel disassembled.

Lorenzo in Bronx quoted me $250....anyone know someone there that can
give me a better price ?

Thanks
Old 07-06-2004, 04:43 PM
Sile

I just noticed a scrath on two windows.
I took my door panels apart to put in speakers. I should have put in felt, dam.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:42 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by robert_tsxgeek
Is $250 a good price for side & rear windows ?
$119 here in Tampa.