numb-nut clipped my driverside mirror

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 02:38 PM
where is my garage?!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
numb-nut clipped my driverside mirror

so last night the wife and i were getting into the car. i had just gotten in and flipped my mirror out when this 7-series bimmer zipped throught the narrow gap between regular one-lane traffic and cars parked on the side of the street just to get ahead of the crowd.

then i heard this thump. the guy clipped my mirror. his car got stuck b/c it was too narrow, so i ran out, went to his door and started yelling at him. it kinda went like this:

me: hey, you fucking piece of shit. you hit my car!

him: no, no, no hit your car.

me: yeah, you did. i heard it. you hit it. you think you can hit people and fucking drive off?

him: it was only the mirror.

me: yeah. THAT'S MY FUCKING CAR.

him: sorry, sorry.

then he proceeds to drive away. what a piece of garbage. his car also hit this girl in front of us, who was also just about to leave. she was driving an old nissan altima, and practically got hit by the guy. we managed to get his plate number, car and model.

luckily, there was no damage. but the funny thing is, the housing for my mirror had this tiny hairline crack right by the turn signal in the black plastic molding. it's not going to fall out or break anytime soon, and i think it was there when i bought the car but never noticed it (who'd think to look there?).

i told my wife this morning, if i wanted to be a real jerk, i could blame the crack on his hit on my car, get the money, and use it for a mod. lol. but that would be wrong. and this post would obviously incriminate me as being a liar. lol.

anyways. just wanted to vent. can't stand ppl who drive recklessly like that.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
That sucks. A few months ago I was walking along a street with cars parked on both sides, and heard mirrors collide when 2 SUVs passed each other. Luckily they both stopped, though. The guy that hit yours sounds like a total asshole.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:56 PM
Ex-King of Pasadena

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that's very shitty...

such as ass...
Old 10-12-2007, 03:27 PM
Instructor

BMW drivers are arrogant douchebags.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:24 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
If I were you, I would have reported it to the police. it's a hit & run as well as wreckless driving. In fact, I did report someone when I was in high school. He ended up "selling" his car to a relative within a week of the report lol
Old 10-13-2007, 08:45 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by xjohnkdoex
... then he proceeds to drive away. what a piece of garbage. his car also hit this girl in front of us, who was also just about to leave. she was driving an old nissan altima, and practically got hit by the guy. we managed to get his plate number, car and model.
You need to reread your state driver's handbook. I don't know any states in which hit and run ISN'T a felony. If someone says, "you struck my car," you're expected to get out and inspect, trade licenses and insurance information, etc.

So ... you still have the plate #? Call your insurance company, pronto. Mine once chided me because my wife took two days to call about a collision. Your company may advise you to file a police report too.

Stop thinking, "wow what an asshole," and start thinking, "okay, I need to get this inspected and possibly fixed, and let the insurance company track the other driver down for compensation." From your description, clearly sounds like no fault on your part. But you may need a little tutoring in how to handle auto accidents. ("hey, you fucking piece of shit. you hit my car!" isn't usually a good way to start out, though we ALL feel that way when someone runs into us.)

(makes note to NEVER, EVER, EVER drive my car in NYC)
Old 10-13-2007, 08:50 AM

P.S. Take some comfort in the knowledge that if his insurance isn't high on that 7-series already, it will increase, surely.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:57 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
You needed to get his tag number, and call it in. Letting something like that go is retarded. No offense, I wouldn't mind if it was a small bump in the back with little to no damage, but when it's your side mirror, I'd call it in.

Hey, it's your money though.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:00 AM

No *#&@, the guy won't learn his lesson (crossing fingers; some people never learn) if nobody calls in on him. Heck, I make courtesy calls to the troopers here when I see an seriously reckless (surely not wreckless ) driver on the highway. Numb nuts only get away with this as long as other drivers let them get away with it.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:18 AM
PWP/ebony/6MT/Navi

Did you have the Spidey windshield cover in your hand as you went after the a**hole?

My own Spidey senses say the same as davidspalding: Definitely report it to the police - give them all the info you got because leaving the scene of an accident is a VERY serious offense. I've seen licenses revoked for it in the minimum, why should he get away with it!? Was he young? If this arse gets away with it this time, no way he'll hesitate to do it again in the future. And to be such a JERK about it!!!

PLUS, I would suggest that you report the incident to your insurance company because if you do find something else wrong with your sideview mirror that you may not have noticed in your inspection, it'll be easier to claim it, even if it's much later. Besides, it would help out the Nissan Altima girl who he also hit by strengthening the case against him. How bad was her car damage?
Old 10-13-2007, 10:47 AM
3.2 VTEC

i don't care who you are, reporting 4 ppl 4 how they drive when they didn't hit shit is just fucked up...if u out there to fix the world good luck....i can't even beleive the police would actually bother with a taddle tale on the phone complaining his ass off about what he/she saw.....the cops have better things to do than listen to your ass wine on the phone complaining how some1 was driving because you have nothing better to do and beleive that any type of automotive oriented person is a threat to the road.

come on, you're not 80 years old sittin on your porch wondering what to call the cops about...get with your own life....as ppl say...mind your own damn business.

i'm not saying about that idiot in the 7-series that can't drive....but reporting ppl 4 how they drive is "retarded" in many ways.

mabe if i feel that my life is over and i have nothing better to do but look at other ppl's lives...then i'll go around looking at idiots on the highway driving below the speed limit (causing traffic and agressive driving for every1 else that's pissed off at the idiot who can't drive) and report their asses for not being able to drive peoperly and causing road rage.

then again, it's not my problem that every car on the road is an suv with a driver that couldn't care less about what they drive as long as they know it can theoretically go off road if they ever need it and a theoretical safety of an suv.

if you can't drive get off the road.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:39 PM
6MT G37

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by xjohnkdoex

then i heard this thump. the guy clipped my mirror. his car got stuck b/c it was too narrow, so i ran out, went to his door and started yelling at him. it kinda went like this:

me: hey, you fucking piece of shit. you hit my car!

What a nice way to confront someone..
Old 10-13-2007, 12:44 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm just hoping the dude wasn't chinese... kinda sounds like it lol
Old 10-13-2007, 01:27 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by vincethe1

lol...

People who can't drive, think they can - someone has to report them, otherwise they never leave the road...

So, your advice depends on the idea that people can self-govern, with other's interests in mind, which I think we all know is wrong.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
i don't care who you are, reporting 4 ppl 4 how they drive when they didn't hit shit is just fucked up...if u out there to fix the world good luck....i can't even beleive the police would actually bother with a taddle tale on the phone complaining his ass off about what he/she saw.....the cops have better things to do than listen to your ass wine on the phone complaining how some1 was driving because you have nothing better to do and beleive that any type of automotive oriented person is a threat to the road.

come on, you're not 80 years old sittin on your porch wondering what to call the cops about...get with your own life....as ppl say...mind your own damn business.

i'm not saying about that idiot in the 7-series that can't drive....but reporting ppl 4 how they drive is "retarded" in many ways.

mabe if i feel that my life is over and i have nothing better to do but look at other ppl's lives...then i'll go around looking at idiots on the highway driving below the speed limit (causing traffic and agressive driving for every1 else that's pissed off at the idiot who can't drive) and report their asses for not being able to drive peoperly and causing road rage.

then again, it's not my problem that every car on the road is an suv with a driver that couldn't care less about what they drive as long as they know it can theoretically go off road if they ever need it and a theoretical safety of an suv.

Actually, in NJ at least, there's a number to call to report aggressive drivers. I think it's *77 or #77. It's posted on signs on the side of the road. So yeah....if someone is bad enough, they do want you to report it because it may save an innocent person's life from an asshole driver.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:23 PM
Racer

that really sucks man.....i would definitely report that jerk.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:29 PM
Burning Brakes

and if you can't read, get off the forum. the OP said that the guy HIT his mirror. that's definitely reportable.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Take it to Off Topic - Ramblings.