Nor Cal buying + COSTCO!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004 | 06:35 PM
Intermediate

Smile Nor Cal buying + COSTCO!

Hey I'm new here, but I did a lot of reading here before I bought my TSX. I wanted to share my experience, because I got a great deal!

Yesterday I went to Concord Acura and was quoted $29,880 initially for this setup:

CGP Automatic w/ NAVI
Wheel Locks
Trunk Tray
All Weather Floor Mats
Splash Guards
Wheel Emblems
Edge Trim
($805 for the options)

Which is MSRP plus $545 delivery (standard on any car, I think)

I talked them down to $28,880, plus some other stuff with the car I was trading in.

While I was at Concord Acura, I got a call back from Oakland Acura/Costco. Costco Auto Sales does Acuras (I didn't believe it either). You go to the Costco website and they put you in contact with a local dealer. The price of the car has been predetermined by Costco. There's not a lot of haggle room, but the price is great!

The price they quoted me at Oakland Acura is $1000 over invoice!Here's how the numbers break down:

Dealer Cost: $25,967
Plus $545 destination: $26,512
Plus $1000 Costco deal: $27,512

That's only a 3.8% profit for the dealership. That's $1523 below MSRP. I was so shocked I had to keep as cool as I could to not seem too eager to buy the car right away. They also sold the "easy" options (not the underbody kit) for cost, which is $275 (I think, I didn't see it on paper).

With tax ($2,291), license ($240) and documentation fees ($45) to total price to finance comes out to $30,306.

So I went back to Concord Acura and asked them to match the price, and they did, and threw in free wheel locks and door trim so I would buy it there. They also know that I live in Concord and that I would be bringing my TSX to them for service.

So the moral to my story: Check out the Costco Auto Sales. It doesn't commit you to anything if you meet with the salesperson, but it does give you a ton of leverage with other dealerships. All of the dealers know what the Costco price is, they just don't want you to know it.

On a side note, my car is on a boat from Japan right now, so I have to wait 2 weeks to get it (they couldn't get a CGP w/ NAVI). I don't mind however, since no one will ever drive it but me =]. Now for the mods...
Old 04-10-2004 | 02:39 AM
1st Gear

thanks for the informative post! maybe it's time to get a costco membership...
Old 04-10-2004 | 02:54 PM
9th Gear

Hi, the_dao, I think the COSTCO prices must have changed. I went into Oakland Acura today under the Costco program and they went up! The deal is now $1200 over invoice (instead of $1000). And they wanted to charge me $250 for just the mud-flaps, trunk tray, and wheel locks.
Old 04-10-2004 | 11:04 PM
9th Gear

icaushavoc,

same thing for me. i also just went to Oakland Acura today. talked to some bloke named Jai Smith.

also quoted 1200 over invoice, along with 200 for the "protection package". i have a feeling the protection package is negotiable.

decent price i think.. but still..
Old 04-10-2004 | 11:59 PM
9th Gear

genzo, yeah I just don't feel as good now knowing that it was quite a bit less just last weekend.
Old 04-11-2004 | 11:00 PM
Intermediate

Hmm I didn't know the Costco prices change, or that they do that at all. I swear I did see $1000 on one sheet, and the invoice price on another. They were photo copies I think, they could have been faxes too. Maybe they change every now and then? Wish I could be more help.

As for the options, I was quoted $218 for the trunk tray, wheel locks, and splash guard, which he said was "at cost". I assume that means the options are at no profit for the dealership.

You may want to write those prices quoted to you and bring it to another dealership like I did! That's still better than an initial offer (although I've been seeing people quoted slightly under $27K). Good luck to you.
Old 04-12-2004 | 01:25 AM
9th Gear

Hi, the_dao... I don't doubt what you saw, the prices probably changed this past week. Anyways, what color did you get? Also did your protection package from Concord only include the trunk tray, mud flaps, and wheel locks?
Old 04-12-2004 | 03:08 PM
9th Gear

hi the_dao,

ya, i took your advice and used the costco price to haggle with other dealers. any of you guys try Steven's Creek Acura? I haven't been there physically, but have been corresponding with their internet manager over email. just wondering what experience you've had with local Bay Area dealers has been. actually, same question goes out for any who read this thread.

the fellow at Steven's Creek countered with 27500 for a tsx w/ navi in stock. still waiting back to hear from him regarding the state of the car before i go down and try and get it.
Old 04-12-2004 | 03:10 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the information.

I'm also looking into buying pretty much the same car, except the interior is ebony.

One question, so they dun charge anything at all, even they have to special-order a car from Japan ?

Thanks,
KK
Old 04-12-2004 | 06:14 PM
1st Gear

Hi all,

It seems like the $27500 deal is fairly easy to get at this point. After reading this thread I walked into Serramonte Acura in Daly City yesterday, asked for that deal, and picked up a CGP AT w/Nav, Quartz Interior for that price, plus approx. $220 for the "protection package" (wheel locks, splash guard, trunk tray). I never even mentioned Costco.

They had quite a few TSXs on the lot and offered no resistance to the invoice+$1000 offer, so I imagine you could do even better. I also remember seeing at least 5-6 other TSXs in stock there, but mostly with AT and Nav, in case anyone wants to check them out.
Old 04-13-2004 | 12:25 AM
Intermediate

icaushavoc: it's not really a package anymore, it's options at cost (no profit to the dealer, or so they say). I got Wheel Locks (free), Trunk Tray, All Weather Floor Mats, Splash Guards, Wheel Emblems, Edge Trim (free). Basically the options that will keep my car clean =].

micmin: They won't charge you a premium for a "special order". Actually, the manager was BSing me in saying that there wasn't a CG/Navi in California. They had one at Oakland Acura the next day. I still chose to wait for the one off the boat because it's allowing me to get my money in better order and sell my Jetta.

All the dealers know exactly what the Costco price is, they all know exactly what the others are doing for their sales. It's all about cutting through the haggling BS and getting the best price available.
Old 04-14-2004 | 01:25 AM
9th Gear

Smile

I went to Stevens Creek Acura to get mine today. 27500, SSM 6-speed w/nav. no protection package but they included the wheel locks. pretty good experience there. i'd go again.
Old 04-16-2004 | 01:06 PM
Intermediate

Wow, I just read my first post again, and I saw that I said the car was a Manual (6MT). It's not, it's an Automatic (5AT). Sorry for the confusion (even though there's no difference in price).