no love for a car enthusiast

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 12:55 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
no love for a car enthusiast

hey everyone a wonderful law enforcement officer decided my evo2 exhaust was too loud for his "discretion" or lack their of, and decided to serve me with a $85 citation for an improper muffler. And I quote "you have no baffles in your muffler causing excessive noise in which your muffler is illegal and you have 2 of them it is obvious it is for off road use only" I kindly informed him of the sound suppression material packed into the canister but he said its still to loud. I cant stand it when people tell me how to do a mechanic's job when they do not have the knowledge to back up that claim. So with good manners I just accepted the ticket and drove off. Enough ranting!!! Can anyone please give me some legal info on the evo 2 exhaust system supporting its street legality and ideal sound suppression and to dispell his claim of an off road exhaust system...Thanks!
Old 10-11-2008, 12:07 PM
still plays with cars

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does your state or city have an SPL ordinance? If so, get your exhaust checked and if it is below the ordinance level, take it to court. If the citation is based on officer discretion, suck it up and pay the fine.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HAHA wow u got owned. ok next time a cop trys to pull that bs on u tell him to pull out a decibel reader... then when he gets that puzzeled look on his face laugh at him. How does he know whats to loud. I have a evo 2 as well and a comptech header with no cat, test pipe ftw. Now think about how loud mine is! I had a cop try to give me the same ticket, and he tryed throwing on a no front plate ticket, but i argued it down to a city citation for the plate, paid 25$ Go to court, i believe the exhaust came with documentation, it'l get thrown out, good luck!
Old 10-11-2008, 11:08 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, and a Harley can be as loud as they want. I have NEVER understood that. If you do go to court, ask about that.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:51 AM
Advanced

thanks guys, the cop said that they dont use decibel readers here in ontario, canada and i think the cop was just trying to fill his quota for the month, but at any rate I am going to take this to court. it's funny cause my brother in law has a harley and he never once got a ticket for his exhaust...good point! I have already spoken to JRP up here and they are sending me some info on the exhaust. I will not submit to an ignorant police force...never come to the GTA(Peel Region)
Old 10-13-2008, 12:01 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Originally Posted by EvolveTSX
thanks guys, the cop said that they dont use decibel readers here in ontario, canada and i think the cop was just trying to fill his quota for the month, but at any rate I am going to take this to court. it's funny cause my brother in law has a harley and he never once got a ticket for his exhaust...good point! I have already spoken to JRP up here and they are sending me some info on the exhaust. I will not submit to an ignorant police force...never come to the GTA(Peel Region)
Hate GTA police. I got pull over once for the same thing, they even asked me to turn on the car, go 1/4 and 1/2 throttle and they stand back and listen, wtf"? I asked them if they had a decibel readers or if they are MTO certified, they said no, I laughed and went back to my car, got some other BS ticket instead lol

btw I also had Injen CAI + header + High-flowCat + GreddySP2 and alot more, wasn't that loud compare to other exhaust.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:25 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,860 Likes on 2,580 Posts
Contact Greddy North America. I dont happen to have it with me or even know where it is anymore but at one point I had a document from them that someone on this forum sent me that listed that the Greddy Evo II had been tested as meets noise ordinances for cars. Also do you have a header or a hi flow cat installed with your exhaust. I do know that the Greddy Evo II is pretty loud with aftermarket header and cat. I have gotten pulled over for the same thing with it and had that paper at the time and gave it to the officer and needless to say he was rather pissed off and tried to site me for several other things including measuring how low my windshield decal came down. He failed at everything and sped off.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:12 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
Contact Greddy North America. I dont happen to have it with me or even know where it is anymore but at one point I had a document from them that someone on this forum sent me that listed that the Greddy Evo II had been tested as meets noise ordinances for cars. Also do you have a header or a hi flow cat installed with your exhaust. I do know that the Greddy Evo II is pretty loud with aftermarket header and cat. I have gotten pulled over for the same thing with it and had that paper at the time and gave it to the officer and needless to say he was rather pissed off and tried to site me for several other things including measuring how low my windshield decal came down. He failed at everything and sped off.
LOLzzz.... How did you had that paper when the cops pull you over? Are you that prepare?
Old 10-14-2008, 01:22 AM
Racer

LOL that was too funny im sorry.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by chuson
LOLzzz.... How did you had that paper when the cops pull you over? Are you that prepare?
well when you drive one of the only modified cars in the local area that doesnt look like it came from walmart then you get targeted. plus the fast I have green wheels on my car or the JPs before this draws attention. Gotta be prepared cause my favorite things is to toy with them knowing that they will pull me over for something they think they can site me for and then them not be able to do anything about it at all. Cops in my area target modified cars like nothing else and its just funny knowing my modified to hell and done by the book still. Passes inspection every year with flying color and not change to my setup.

Didnt help the last time though cause he thought it was a race car cause I was in the middle of my interior conversion and had everything in the back completely stripped out of the car haha. I also routinely will floor the car up to the posted speed limit and then let off when the roads are empty and it happens sometimes that their are cops watching and they pull you over but cant ticket for shit cause you did nothing wrong. If you are polite and respond "Yes Sir, Officer" to them they hate it even more cause your being polite and they cant site you for shit.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:37 AM

When I brought the car to Rochester, NY for two weeks I only had the car out for 15min and got pulled over cause from a stop light I floored the car from 0 to 40 and the posted speed limit was 45 and a cop going the other direction turned around followed me for about a mile then pulled me over and tried to tell me my exhaust was to loud. Well stupid him, I didn't even need a paper about my exhaust, I just know that you can't pull someone over for vehicle modifications in NY when the car is registered and inspected in PA. He even called in backup. Must have thought I was a drug dealer or something, who knows. After 20min of talking to him and repeatedly having him tell that he should site me for a muffler that is to loud (yes a muffler, cause you know I only change my mufflers not the rest of the exhaust). I repeatedly responded "I'm sorry to cause a problem Officer but the car is registered in PA and thus complies with PA state regulations. You can not site me if it does not meet NY regulation although it does because I do not live in the NY or is the car registered in NY." Needless to say when he finally gave me my license back, never asked for insurance or registration information, he peeled out of the parking lot and sped off like a bat out of hell. I got plenty more stories too. Those are the two best though.