New TSX Owner... but.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 01:33 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New TSX Owner... but.....

sup fellas. i just bought a 2007, certified pre-owned tsx, carfax 1 user, 5AT, carbon grey pearl/ebony. 8110 miles. paid $27,500 out the door. love the car. did my research and settled on the tsx rather than the is250.

that's the good news.

here's the bad news. i had one of the SUCKIEST dealership experiences evAR. i signed all the paperwork on thursday and went to pick up my car sunday (due to having to sort out insurance and financing). i had the whole day planned out - was gonna' take my mom and sis to early dinner in my "new" car and go for a drive afterward. so we go to the dealership and the sales guy is not in; he's out sick... ok... no one seems to know i was suppose to pick up my car... they ask me to wait in the lounge area. fine. we wait for a few minutes and the assistant manager comes out. says that NO ONE KNEW I WAS COMING. took me out to the lot AND THE CAR WAS NOT PREPPED. he apologizes and says he'll wash the car and "prep" it. we come back after an hour and all he did was just that, washed it. there were HARD WATER SPOTS on the hood and front! interior was not vacuumed, promised all-weather mats and cargo net, "acura" and "tsx" badges were not installed (was removed by previous owner). nothing was done! i also noticed a GAPING HOLE the size of a dime in the chrome grille that i didn't notice before. all i was offered was an additional free tank of gas. when i pointed out the hole in the grille, all the assistant manager said was "well, you're buying a used car. you can't expect it to be new." HELLO? ITS A CERTIFIED PRE-OWNED CAR. you guys are selling it in "like new" condition! !@#$ when i told him they have a flaw in their process, he said they don't and that they all have different job descriptions and can't check on everything. AND THEN, he threw his employee under the bus and said that the sales guy has been on the job for only 2 weeks and he doesn't know what he's doing and that he'll get an earful.

i flat out told the assistant manager that this is a VERY bad start. did not give him my downpayment and told him to call me when he's ready to deliver my car as promised. and we just left. i was fuming the whole day. our whole day was ruined because of that experience.

and you know what the worst part of this? there's only ONE acura dealer in hawaii. bastards!
Old 03-10-2008, 01:40 PM
East Coast Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These guys at the dealership must be crazy. They're suppose to sell the car with nothing missing and everything fixed. There shouldn't even be one scratch one it. The assistant manager is a horrible manager. I can't believe mangers will even dare to use their employees as bait. On the other note, I wish you luck with it. I would call the salesman and tell him that his boss used him.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:47 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If there is only one dealer in Hawaii then it must be the one where Colin works. Ask around for Colin, maybe he can help.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Good luck....I hope it all works out.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:08 PM
Racer

Thanks for the kind words guys. i guess my biggest gripe right now is that they sold this car as a certified pre-owned car but are treating like they are selling it "as is"... which is unacceptable in my book...
Old 03-10-2008, 02:17 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by jlukja
If there is only one dealer in Hawaii then it must be the one where Colin works. Ask around for Colin, maybe he can help.
I agree. Colin is a straight up nice guy from what I take from reading his posts.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:18 PM
detour

thats just straight up some bad service and messed up sh*t... sorry to hear that mate.. hope everything works out well for you..and maybe they made a mistake
Old 03-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Saeyon
thats just straight up some bad service and messed up sh*t... sorry to hear that mate.. hope everything works out well for you..and maybe they made a mistake
i'm a reasonable guy. i'm willing to chalk it up to an honest mistake. what i dont like is how this whole matter is being resolved. saying things like "well, you are buying a used car. you can't expect it to be new" when in FACT you are selling the car as a certified pre-owned car really chaps my arse. so is the whole "we put in $2000 to get it back in 'new' shape" all a lie? what else is a lie? at this point, the dealership is gonna have to do a LOT to earn my trust. and i don't even have the dang yet!

btw, the detailing crew is off on sundays, which means the car should've been prepped at least by SATURDAY! again, breakdown in process. it ain't just the sales' guys fault - when something like this happens, its everyone's fault because it means this can happen again at any time.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:39 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Only one dealer? Talk about a captive audience; I think I'd be looking somewhere else. I really like the TSX (we have two of them), but I don't think I'd want to be in that position. I'd run (not walk) away from that deal if at all possible (I shouldn't think you'd be missing out on a great deal either since that's about what I paid for our 07 new last April).
Old 03-10-2008, 03:47 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Simba91102
Only one dealer? Talk about a captive audience; I think I'd be looking somewhere else. I really like the TSX (we have two of them), but I don't think I'd want to be in that position. I'd run (not walk) away from that deal if at all possible (I shouldn't think you'd be missing out on a great deal either since that's about what I paid for our 07 new last April).
yeah, it sucks that there's only one dealer. lack of competition makes these guys complacent.

i got the car for 25,600 and change, 27,500 out the door. i don't know where you live but come to hawaii - you'll see that i actually got a pretty good deal. hint: we need to import *everything* by boat. hint#2: we pay $3.65-3.79 for premium gas... maui already pays $4
Old 03-10-2008, 04:16 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by 808havok_tsx
we pay $3.65-3.79 for premium gas
Just like Southern Cali.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:27 PM
Advanced

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Hopefully things will work out. My dealership experience was just fine and they were very helpful. Not to mention very willing to change out parts, brakes, headlamps and tires for me when I bought my '04 TSX CPO last week. Goes to show you how different dealerships really are. It doesnt help that you only have one Acura Dealer on Hawaii... they must think they can get away with anything and still have a steady flow of customers.

Originally Posted by PACman
Just like Southern Cali.
and like S. Florida
Old 03-10-2008, 08:30 PM
TSX MFG Date Sep 2006

If I were you, I won't let the Assistant Manager get away with that kind of attitude! I'd write a nice cordial letter expressing how disappointed you were and how that day went - factually and let the president or whoever is the head huncho at the only Acura dealership know. If nothing, it will at least put it on that assinine's record for future reviews.

Personally, as much as I love my TSX, I would not go back to that dealership. They've nulled the contract anyway - no mats... *unless you didn't get that put in writing?
Old 03-10-2008, 08:40 PM
Registered Abuser

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
...and i thought my dealership was crap... when they acted like my best friend before i bought the car and gave me the cold shoulder when i refinanced. i expected that. i can't belive they were dicking you around BEFORE you bought it.

i guess being the only dealership gives you power.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:06 AM
Advanced

I would run away from that in a heartbeat.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:42 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
sorry about your bad experience-hopefully their service will be better. I am happy to say my experience was excellent-buying it and now getting it serviced.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:50 PM
is glad to be back!

sorry to hear about your experience. there's actually 2 acura dealerships in our state. One on Oahu and one on Maui, but they're both owned by pflueger. We have a tsx meet/cruise/photoshoot on the 29th of this month if you would like to come out and meet some of us local tsx owners. We're meeting up at 2pm at kakaako with the cruise/photoshoot to follow.

Btw I know everyone is mentioning colin, but if he's not available, ask for tj.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:07 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by tsxdriver
sorry to hear about your experience. there's actually 2 acura dealerships in our state. One on Oahu and one on Maui, but they're both owned by pflueger. We have a tsx meet/cruise/photoshoot on the 29th of this month if you would like to come out and meet some of us local tsx owners. We're meeting up at 2pm at kakaako with the cruise/photoshoot to follow.

Btw I know everyone is mentioning colin, but if he's not available, ask for tj.
sup man. yeah, there are "2" dealers but since i live on oahu, its "1" to me. and like you said, they are owned by pflueger. haha.

not sure if i can make it out to the meet on the 29th but its good to know there are real tsx enthusiasts out there!

i talked to my sales guy yesterday and said he will "make everything right". i'll update you guys once i actually pick up my car.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:58 PM
Racer

update: i picked up my car yesterday. the bafoons did have the hood detailed and the hard water spots are gone. water spots are STILL present in the crevices like between the grille area and foglight areas. that lack of attention to detail really chaps my arse. also, what i thought was smudges on the glass turned out to be adhesive from removed tint. the trim around the moonroof also had wax residue - again, lack of attention to detail. as for the hole in the grille, they claim it was some funky gunk on it and they removed it. i swear my finger went through that thing but whatever. the "hole" is gone so that's that. i also got carpet mats instead of rubber mats like i discussed with the sales guy. he says he remembers me saying carpet and that the rubber mats would cost me extra. i also asked if i'd get any freebies like a couple of free services (oil changes, etc) and he said he's "tapped out" and can't give me anything. oh, and the assistant manager was nowhere to be found.

seriously???

i'm so disgusted by my experience i don't know what else to say. i thought acura was a "luxury" brand? well, their service and attitude certainly don't reflect their brand; it felt more like i was buying a used "honda" on a used car lot rather than an "acura" at the dealer.

i'm gonna detail my car the way i want it done and forget about this ordeal. its a good thing i bought the car cuz i actually like the car. else, i would've gone with the IS250.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

^^lol....why would you ASK for STANDARD carpet mats...salesman is full of it. if I were you, i wouldn't have gave them my money until they resolved EVERYTHING. once they have your money, they pretty much turn the other way whenever you notice any other damage to the car.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:27 PM
Sweet!

Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by 808havok_tsx
we pay $3.65-3.79 for premium gas.
Originally Posted by PACman
Just like Southern Cali.
Originally Posted by Catch921
and like S. Florida
and the Silicon Valley/Bay Area, CA (seen premium up to $3.99 at some gas stations). You're not alone.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:48 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by CGTSX07
^^lol....why would you ASK for STANDARD carpet mats...salesman is full of it. if I were you, i wouldn't have gave them my money until they resolved EVERYTHING. once they have your money, they pretty much turn the other way whenever you notice any other damage to the car.
when i first inspected the car, there were no mats. hence, i asked about its absence and the sales guy said he'll take care of it. what i don't understand is he claims he "thew in" the cargo trunk tray - which was already in the car! i'm guessing the previous owner had bought it. so how did he "throw" it in?

at the rate they were going, i would never get my car. that would just continue to piss me off. they got the hard water spots out - i can do the rest. at this point, that's the only way the car's appearance will be the way i want it...
Old 03-25-2008, 04:50 PM
Racer

UPDATE: so, here's the deal. i've had my car for about 3 weeks now. car is running well, getting 22-25mpg, loving my decision about the car.

here's the problem. i just got a B1 service alert from the car's MID. oil life is at 15%. hello??? part of the CPO was to do full oil change - i even have the itemized list of work done on the car that says work was done at 7100 miles. i now have 8400 miles. how can i have the car for only 3 weeks and oil life is down to 15%?!?!?

i'm gonna' call the salesguy and the serivce adviser and demand an explanation as well as a free service. this is ridiculous! at the rate i'm going, as much as i love the car, after i'm done paying it off in 3 years, i might have to go with lexus... my friend has received nothing but lavish service from them. lexus, like acura is the only dealer in town. but they don't abuse their market position like acura seems to be doing. acura sure ain't behaving like a "luxury" brand...
Old 03-25-2008, 05:14 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
If you assume the maintenance work was performed, it's likely the MID wasn't reset. Judging by your experience with this dealer to date though, you may not want to assume that. Maybe you should do the oil and filter, rest the MID, and go from there.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:35 PM
Racer

UPDATE: been super busy lately but i had a chance to call service today. my service advisor is apparently off on mondays so i talked to some lady. btw, little over a month and my brake lights inside the cabin are out. dunno if its wiring or bulb. my oil life is also down to 5%. the math just doesn't come out. assuming that the CPO work was actually done at 7300~, and i picked up the car at 8110, i'm only at 8900~. you telling me honda's engine oil doesn't even last 2000 miles? i told the lady that either the mid wasn't reset, the car is burning oil, or they really didn't change the oil.

i was given some bull crap by this lady that said they no longer go by the standard 3000 - 5000 mile engine oil change schedule since everyone drives differently and that changes the viscosity of the oil... even on the little reminder sticker on the windsheild, it says next scheduled service is at 10300 miles. i was dumbfounded...

its gonna' get serviced on wednesday so we'll see what happens.

i LOVE the car. i HATE the service!!! I HATE YOU PFLUEGER ACURA!!!
Old 04-14-2008, 07:48 PM
6MT G37

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow sucks to hear your problems with that dealership man. Atleast you love the car though and your satisfied with it. You should write a letter to corporate or watever.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:10 PM
Racer

sorry to hear about your crappy dealer experience. I agree on the concept of competition. When they are the only Acura dealer in the whole state, I guess they think they could get complacent and be assholes. But I paid $26K flat including tax, title, and registration for a 07 PWP MT back in March of 2007. Man I'd seriously contact Acura Corporate and complain about that dealer. Acura has a customer service hotline and one of the things they can do about a problem dealer is that they can sanction a dealer. Do that and voice your concern
Old 04-14-2008, 11:11 PM
Advanced

Sorry to hear about your bad service. As for me, I had nothing but great service from them. Talk to TJ or Colin. They are very helpful.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:43 PM
Racer

ok. so cabin brake light bulb was out and it was replaced. as far as the oil change reminder, any time a dealer performs CPO work, they preemptively do the next service - in my case, it was the B1 service. essentially, i'd be doing the B1 service twice. service advisor said most likely the MID wasn't reset. they reset it to 100% and put a reminder sticker to come in at around 11730 miles...

that lack of attention to detail still bugs me. how can you not reset the MID after routine oil change? especially during CPO work? as a consumer, i shouldn't have to stress about every little detail. when a consumer starts doing that, they can become an irritation to the service dept. since i have to ask about everything and cover all the bases.

with this post, the saga ends. took 7 weeks of ownership to right most of the wrongs. sheesh. that's 7 weeks too many in my eyes. good thing i love the car!
Old 04-24-2008, 01:48 PM
STi'd

I just change my own oil at the leisure and comfort of my own house. Cheaper, quicker and with synthetic plus I know the maintenance light is reset and mileage/date logged.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:49 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by gavinn58
I just change my own oil at the leisure and comfort of my own house. Cheaper, quicker and with synthetic plus I know the maintenance light is reset and mileage/date logged.
i live in a condo and i believe its against the house rules to do work like that in the parking stall... my service advisor at pflueger said oil change is ~$40. if i did it myself, it'd come pretty close to that anyway and i don't have to dispose of the used oil. and you get the added benefit of having "dealer maintained" moniker... dealers are notorious for reaming you if you have any problems because "they" didn't maintain the car so its YOUR fault. based on how they've treated me thus far, i wouldn't bet the farm, that's for sure.