New TSX owner...almost

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 12:00 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New TSX owner...almost

Hey...Rich here....new poster, about ten hours away from placing the order on an 07 TSX.

Some thoughts Im looking for comments on.

1. Thinking CG and black interior. Or ASM and black interior. Thoughts on which is better, seen more, easier to keep nice, etc?

2. I know the next gen is not far down the road, but I cant wait another year or more for a new car, with my 'Teg having 175000 on the odo. Still...should I pull the trigger on the 07? Is buying a car close to the end of its production cycle bad?

3. Wifey wants AT...I want MT. She wins (shaddup!). How do the ATs run? Yeah, yeah....MTs are more fun, but still...those ATs good? I liked the one I test drove.

4. I gotta throw a roof rack on it. iIknow, I know...but Im an avid cyclist hauling bikes all over the place several times a week. Anyone have any experience with putting a roof rack on a TSX? And dammit, why is BMW the ONLY car manufacturer that allows rood racks to be bolted on??!!!??

Thanks, guys...looking forward to joining the tribe.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:34 AM
Registered Car Nut

Hey, welcome aboard! Here are my on your questions... i'm certain more users will have ideas/comments as well!

1. CGP is one of the most common colours out there. ASM is only slightly less common. I love my ASM , but CGP is also really cool . to see the most common colours try this link
ASM is easy to keep clean, or at least looking clean: a little dirt really doesn't show, while anything darker will show more easily.
2. Buying a car at the end of production is not bad per se, except that newer models will tend to have new goodies (i.e. Lexus IS, Infiniti G35 all have newer features and are very interesting). Also, you may lose on resale value, as interest wanes off for the older generations... However, you're sure all the little annoyances have been weeded out over the course of the production of the model.
3. Teach the wife MT... AT runs nice, but the 6MT is awesome. My wife loves it (I taught her how to drive stick on my '97 Civic Si (EX in US)).
4. why don't you look for a hitch and get a hitch mounted bike rack? Looks better and doesn't wreck your car...

Welcome to AZ and show us some pics when you get your new baby!
Old 05-05-2007, 06:26 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
most of the tsx's i see are carbon gray or white. i agree teach your wife to drive MT. it is so much fun. My husband and I own only manual transmission cars. i own a 06 milano red/ebony(i recommend that color) 6speed/w nav since 11/06 and it has almost 15,000 miles-love to travel
Old 05-05-2007, 12:05 PM
TSXmeister

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome.....CGP rules!!
Old 05-05-2007, 03:14 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RkFast

3. Wifey wants AT...I want MT. She wins (shaddup!). How do the ATs run? Yeah, yeah....MTs are more fun, but still...those ATs good? I liked the one I test drove.

My AT's been running great. No problems, really smooth shifting. There's definitely a big MT bias on the board, but I think most us AT'ers are quite happy with our choice.
Old 05-05-2007, 04:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome! The CGP looks great, but so does the ASM. I think it comes down to two things. Do you (and your wife) like the dark on dark or light on dark combo and do you like seeing the dirt?

The ASM is so easy to keep clean. I have it and have changed the name to Self Cleaning Silver because only the rims and windows seem to get dirty.

P.S. Get the 6M! It is so easy to drive and lots more fun. The auto is peppy off the line but does slow down in the mid ranges.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:28 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by yeefuchew
...There's definitely a big MT bias on the board...
This is true on almost every automotive board (possible exception of new DSG tranny from VW, but even there the debate rages on).

I'll never own a car with a hydraulic torque converter. They sap anywhere from 5 to 10% of your cars horsepower compared to an MT, so that's where the MT bias comes from.

The MT in the TSX is literally "best in class" - multi-cone synchros on all gears now, greating shifting action. I've never driven an MT car where I liked the shifting action as much. The ratio gap between 1 and 2 is a wee bit large, but I don't even notice it anymore and it never affected my enjoyment of the transmission anyway.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:19 AM
Instructor

Thanks, guys!

Im hearing about the possibility of a lower resale. But Im leasing, so Im not terribly worried about that. Even if I do buy out the car at end of lease and keep it until its about five years old with 75K on it, it IS a Honda product and we all know how well they hold their value. Heck, Im going to get about 3K for my totally outdated 95 Integra with 175K on the clock!

Im still leaning towards CGM. I just love it. But we will see today.

Oh...and I tried to teach the wifey to drive MT. It didnt go well.

FWIW, I saw a racked TL parked during a bike ride I did yesterday. It looked OK.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:26 AM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I know everyone is saying how the MT on the TSX is so great and all....but there are also many many threads about what a pain in the butt it is to drive a MT TSX smoothly. So please test drive one for an extended period of time before buying it. I love my MT most of the time, but there are a few frustrating moments where I wish I got AT.

As for buying a car at the end of model year, I think if you can wait, you should wait for the next gen to come out. Then if you think the next gen isn't worth the extra $$$, you can buy the old gen for much cheaper than now. The TSX is a great car, but I think Acura will really step up and make the next gen an even better car (they have to if they want to stay in the game). Imagine how the guy that bought the last gen TL felt when the current TL came out a few years ago.....
Old 05-07-2007, 11:56 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ninjamyst
I know everyone is saying how the MT on the TSX is so great and all....but there are also many many threads about what a pain in the butt it is to drive a MT TSX smoothly. So please test drive one for an extended period of time before buying it. I love my MT most of the time, but there are a few frustrating moments where I wish I got AT.

As for buying a car at the end of model year, I think if you can wait, you should wait for the next gen to come out. Then if you think the next gen isn't worth the extra $$$, you can buy the old gen for much cheaper than now. The TSX is a great car, but I think Acura will really step up and make the next gen an even better car (they have to if they want to stay in the game). Imagine how the guy that bought the last gen TL felt when the current TL came out a few years ago.....
Id love to wait for the next one, but it seems to be a good 12-18 months away. Given my current ride's age and condition of consumables like tires/brakes/clutch, it just CANT wait.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:02 PM
Instructor

Thumbs up

Id love to wait for the next one, but it seems to be a good 12-18 months away. Given my current ride's age and condition of consumables like tires/brakes/clutch, it just CANT wait.
I was in a similar situation. I had a 1996 civic ex with 200k on the odometer. I'm sure I could've squeezed more life out of her, but I'd been wanting a car for so long, I finally pulled the trigger on a CG/ebony MT w/ nav. This was about a month and a half ago. No regrets whatsoever. I had similar thoughts during the buying process, how the new model is just around the corner, but in the end my itchy trigger finger won out.

It's a great car, tight chassis, handles extremely well. The MT is light years beyond what I was used to, very smooth and precise. More power would be nice, but not a deal breaker. Engine is great, just needs a hondata update (hurry up hondata ) and the nav/voice recognition/bluetooth is enough to satisfy the techie inside me. I added a backup camera (great DIY posted here by Phisigbrotha, very cheap) just for kicks. It's a great car, and the deals going on right now are sweet! Go for it!
Old 05-07-2007, 03:17 PM
5th Gear

Hey...Rich here....new poster, about ten hours away from placing the order on an 07 TSX.

Some thoughts Im looking for comments on.

1. Thinking CG and black interior. Or ASM and black interior. Thoughts on which is better, seen more, easier to keep nice, etc?

2. I know the next gen is not far down the road, but I cant wait another year or more for a new car, with my 'Teg having 175000 on the odo. Still...should I pull the trigger on the 07? Is buying a car close to the end of its production cycle bad?

4. I gotta throw a roof rack on it. iIknow, I know...but Im an avid cyclist hauling bikes all over the place several times a week. Anyone have any experience with putting a roof rack on a TSX? And dammit, why is BMW the ONLY car manufacturer that allows rood racks to be bolted on??!!!??

Congrats on the new ride
Old 05-07-2007, 09:25 PM
Instructor

DONE. Carbon Grey/black interior. Pick it up in two weeks.

Thanks, everyone for the help.

Funniest quote from wifey..."It looks like a Honda!"
Old 05-07-2007, 10:15 PM
Registered Car Nut

Congrats on the new car! I assume you ended up with the AT... navi?

Welcome to AZ, and you and the wifey will surely love the car!

"Looks like a Honda"? No, really?
Old 05-08-2007, 11:16 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Funniest quote from wifey..."It looks like a Honda!"
I'm sure you can pop the hood and show her something that says "Honda" on it...
Old 05-08-2007, 11:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Lol....congrats!
Old 05-08-2007, 01:08 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
CONGRATS

Old 05-08-2007, 10:02 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Received 608 Likes on 312 Posts
Congrats!! The CGP is gorgeous - you won't regret it.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:54 AM
Instructor

the headlight casing is made by honda. I saw it while washing my car. Congrats on the purchase.