New Purchase: What to check for before taking delivery

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006 | 06:17 PM
Cruisin'

New Purchase: What to check for before taking delivery

Hey all,

I am waiting on my dealer to let me know about the availability of a 6sp MT without Nav. Sorry if this sounds silly but this is my first car purchase and I just want to be a little cautious. Please answer these questions

-Is it normal for vehicles to have a few miles on them from previous test drives ?

-Before taking the vehicle delivery what are the things I should make sure to check (apart from the obvious).

Thanks
Old 04-10-2006 | 07:18 PM
Cogito Ergo Idiot

Congrats in advance...I hope you love the car.

- Yep. Not a big deal.

- Definitely drive it before you buy it. (Unless you've test driven one already and are 100% confident it's the car for you.) Do a walk-around and look for anything...scratches, door dings, etc.

I can't imagine the dealer wouldn't stand behind the vehicle if you discover something a day or two after the fact. Good luck!
Old 04-10-2006 | 08:02 PM
SOX FAN

Originally Posted by Junky
Hey all,

I am waiting on my dealer to let me know about the availability of a 6sp MT without Nav. Sorry if this sounds silly but this is my first car purchase and I just want to be a little cautious. Please answer these questions

-Is it normal for vehicles to have a few miles on them from previous test drives ?

-Before taking the vehicle delivery what are the things I should make sure to check (apart from the obvious).

Thanks

Since its your first car purchase, definately take a look at this thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...14&postcount=7

It has a lot of things to inspect. There are many that you can leave out but its a good guideline when buying a new car.

GOODLUCK!
Old 04-10-2006 | 10:04 PM
Drifting

2-3 miles on the car before delivery is normal. They do take the car out for a test drive in the factory before they load it onto the ships to be exported. It's not possible to have 0. Then there's a guy at your dealer that drives it out and runs down a checklist to check for everything. I dont really think there's much to check for unless your local dealer does that dealer insignia crap. Dont let them put that on. I didn't let them put on a front license plate holder with their name on it either. The front plate is not required here either.

Other than that... just be sure to check for the usual dings, scratches, and chips.
I discovered a really shallow scratch in the clear coat about 2 days after delivery and when i took it back they tried to buff it out no questions asked. If i run my finger over it it's still there, but i cant even find where it is now and it's not visible at all. So i'm 99.9% satisfied. My only other option was to repaint the whole bumper. So i said forget it. It's fine.
Old 04-10-2006 | 10:46 PM
Cruisin'

I'd have them confirm the air pressure in the tires. They drove mine over 50 miles from another dealer for my delivery. When I got it home and checked--one front tire had 45 psi in it! The other all had in the thirties--overinflated--but all were different pressures on all four.
Old 04-10-2006 | 10:49 PM
my acura sanctuary

the acurazine link ^above^ from bmui1561is great.
An actual New Car Delivery Checklist from Consumer Reports can be found here:
http://www.consumerreports.org/conte...ion_table.html
Old 04-10-2006 | 11:12 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bmui1561
Since its your first car purchase, definately take a look at this thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...14&postcount=7

It has a lot of things to inspect. There are many that you can leave out but its a good guideline when buying a new car.

GOODLUCK!
Nice link. I don't venture into TL land so I've never seen that post.
Old 04-11-2006 | 12:43 AM
Drifting

Pinstripe??? That's one thing you want to cross off the checklist. lol
Old 04-11-2006 | 01:00 AM
Intermediate

Bring couple friends along. They might see something that you miss.
Old 04-11-2006 | 01:05 AM
Racer

The car will have a few miles from them driving it around the lot washing it, and putting it on display and stuff. I doubt they give test drives on new vehicles though.... they have special test drive beaters for that

Other than that, the car shouldn't need too much of an inspection, but check for the obvious...... scratches, dings etc. DONT FORGET TO CHECK THE BOTTOM...... sometimes there are scratches down there because the guy who washed it last accidentally hit a curb..... it could happen
Old 04-11-2006 | 07:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Make sure they give ya a full tank of gas........
Old 10-05-2006 | 10:15 PM
Summer is Coming

Specific TSX Checklist?

I'm bumping this up to the top and also asking for specific TSX things I should check. I hope to pick up my car Friday night or Saturday. I know there are some specific TSX quirks and I'm asking what exactly I should check for before driving off the lot. I know the basics... but for instance...

- Seat rails. I know there was a problem with these in the past, is it still a probelm and if so how do I check for it?
- Someone mentioned the head liner near the rear window is sometimes not fit properly
- What else?

Thanks
Old 10-06-2006 | 06:15 AM
Racer

in my case, check to make sure all of the screws are in the mud flaps.
make sure they got all of the plastic off of the car.
make sure they give you the lugs that they replaced with wheel locks.
Old 10-06-2006 | 02:25 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by Rusty1
I'd have them confirm the air pressure in the tires. They drove mine over 50 miles from another dealer for my delivery. When I got it home and checked--one front tire had 45 psi in it! The other all had in the thirties--overinflated--but all were different pressures on all four.
This is a common dealer snafu. It has a big effect on ride quality.
Old 10-06-2006 | 03:22 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by Junky
Hey all,

Thanks
Check the ENTIRE exterior of the car for any damage or holes. I don't care how stupid you feel doing it. First time i washed my car, i went to take the front license plate holder off and realized that they drilled a hole into the bumper.

In fact, call them, and tell them you don't want the hole drilled if they put on the front license plate holder. NO HOLES IN YOUR TSX.

It will typically have a few miles on it, maybe more if it was a transfer from another dealer (mine had 50 miles on it)
Old 10-06-2006 | 03:39 PM
6MT G37

Originally Posted by LoveMyTSX
Make sure they give ya a full tank of gas........

Werd. When i picked mine up, as i was driving away, i noticed it had half a tank so I had to go back and they gave me some voucher so I could fill it up at Shell.
Old 10-06-2006 | 04:05 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
I'm bumping this up to the top and also asking for specific TSX things I should check. I hope to pick up my car Friday night or Saturday. I know there are some specific TSX quirks and I'm asking what exactly I should check for before driving off the lot. I know the basics... but for instance...

- Seat rails. I know there was a problem with these in the past, is it still a probelm and if so how do I check for it?
- Someone mentioned the head liner near the rear window is sometimes not fit properly
- What else?

Thanks
the headliner near the sunroof in the front was not fit right on mine, but this seemed to be an isolated occurance.
Old 10-06-2006 | 04:09 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by gftgrill
in my case, check to make sure all of the screws are in the mud flaps.
make sure they got all of the plastic off of the car.
make sure they give you the lugs that they replaced with wheel locks.
make sure they didn't scratch anything when the took the plastic off the runners (is that the right name?)....you know, the part when you open the door, where you put your foot. it should be silver....not blue. i thought it was supposed to be blue, cause they left the plastic on it, it was a bitch to get off too.
Old 10-06-2006 | 04:35 PM
6MT or Death

Originally Posted by bradykp
make sure they didn't scratch anything when the took the plastic off the runners (is that the right name?)....you know, the part when you open the door, where you put your foot. it should be silver....not blue. i thought it was supposed to be blue, cause they left the plastic on it, it was a bitch to get off too.

I know a few people who've actually left that on in order to preserve the quality. To each their own, but on another note when I removed mine it was no issue whatsoever.

I thought it was silly to have a blue piece of plastic covering the nice silver doorsill, but to each their own.
Old 10-06-2006 | 06:07 PM
10th Gear

Check your bass/treble tuner. T_T
The day after I bought my car I realized it wasn't working and had to take it back and waste time for them to order some parts and get it fixed.
Old 10-07-2006 | 01:05 AM
Summer is Coming

Thanks all.... I just picked mine up tonight and so far I haven't found anything in error. They forgot to take two of the blue protection strips off the door sills but we took them off during the inspection. I also noticed that after the drive home there was a strong smell coming from the engine. I chalk that up to excess fuilds burning off from the engine/exhaust, or perhaps some of that undercoating or shipping coating they put on. Hopefully that will go away in the next day or 2.

I averged ~36 mpg on the drive from the dealer to me house. Such a deal. My old car would have got maybe 25.

Saturday morning I take it to get 35% Pinnicle and an Xpel clear bra, extented coverage. Might as well protect it before I get my first paint chip. I'll post pictures after it is tinted. I imagine everyone has seen a CG/Quartz TSX by now.

What a nice car!
Old 10-07-2006 | 09:28 AM
Advanced

I bought two of them this summer, both had six miles on them when I first got in. ONe still had all of it's plastic etc. I doubt you will find one with only 2-3 miles.

ALWAYS drive it about 8 miles first before buying. Doesn't matter if you just drove three others you liked, please listen to me on this one. Don't assume because the other ones are fine yours will be. I drove two and liked them, picked a third because of color. It had a wind noise near the driver's left ear that only showed up over 65 MPH. I got them to agree to fix it (down the road) before signing anything. Well three weeks later they had to sell us another one because they had so much trouble finding that noise and it still wasn't fixed. Cost us $55 to drive it for a week because it had already been registered. Cost them a lot more than that though because they will have to sell it as used when they get that problem fixed.

I wouldn't have a problem with a car less than 100 miles but I believe 6 miles is ideal for getting in it for the first time and knowing you are the first one driving it. If it has that few miles it hasn't been test driven, well not at my local dealer because their basic test drive is an 8 mile loop including hwy and city.

Edit: all four of the new ones I drove had that smell, it does go away after about 100 miles.
Old 10-07-2006 | 05:47 PM
Let me help you!

Originally Posted by sccpu3d
The car will have a few miles from them driving it around the lot washing it, and putting it on display and stuff. I doubt they give test drives on new vehicles though.... they have special test drive beaters for that
I got to test drive the exact car I was considering to buy. My car had 11 miles on it.

I didn't have any problems when I bought my car, but you might want to check the car after they "detail" it for you. I heard that some dealers re-use rags while washing, and dust/dirt can scratch the paint.

My car had no problem smell at all. All you can smell is the "new car" smell. My mom even said that she could smell it from outside of the car lol
Old 10-07-2006 | 10:39 PM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan
I got to test drive the exact car I was considering to buy. My car had 11 miles on it.

I didn't have any problems when I bought my car, but you might want to check the car after they "detail" it for you. I heard that some dealers re-use rags while washing, and dust/dirt can scratch the paint.

My car had no problem smell at all. All you can smell is the "new car" smell. My mom even said that she could smell it from outside of the car lol
Mine had 8 miles total even after I took it for a test drive to check for pulling and noises. They did a good job cleaning it up and I have no complaints so far.
Old 10-08-2006 | 01:44 AM
Burning Brakes

make sure you get the NAVI!!!!!!!! youll regret it like the rest of us non navi owner..i know i do
Old 10-08-2006 | 04:15 AM
Racer

I don't regret not getting navi . . .
Old 10-08-2006 | 01:52 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by turoneatingpinoy
I don't regret not getting navi . . .
then you havent been exposed to it enough yet!
Old 10-08-2006 | 06:34 PM
Advanced

Always have the tire pressure checked and make sure the alignment is correct. My current 2004 Accord coupe V6 and TSX had overinflated tires and the incorrect alignment. TSX had 40 psi in the tires.
Old 10-08-2006 | 10:01 PM
Racer

yea u deff will regret it. The navi is the best thing. I just came from the south fl auto show n i played with the navi. I felt weird playing with a car i owned at the show...i was in it for like 30 mins..ha
Old 10-09-2006 | 01:31 PM
Dela-where-ean

I still have the blue protective layer on all my door sills.. matches the blue interior lighting and the blue leds i put into the doors. I'll take it off when it gets scratched and starts peeling.
Old 10-11-2006 | 10:15 PM
Summer is Coming

Window Weather Strip Not Seated

All,

Took delivery about 5 days ago and tonight I noticed the weather stripping that goes around the top part of the door looked a little "uneven" and in one place I could see some chrome "flashing" at me at the edge of the rubber weather strip. I opened the door and put my fingers in the top of the groove in the rubber weather strip and noticed I could pull it forward and it seemed to "snap" into the groove it was supposed to sit in. It was not seated properly on three of the four doors. The worse was the drivers rear door was unseated almost half way around. It is not easy to see but now the weather strip is even where the rubber meets the body. Not sure if it was bad enough to cause a leak, but it has not rained on my car ... yet...
Old 10-14-2006 | 11:03 AM
Precision Crafted User

Originally Posted by Kismet
I still have the blue protective layer on all my door sills.. matches the blue interior lighting and the blue leds i put into the doors. I'll take it off when it gets scratched and starts peeling.

Same here. I have a Glacier Blue Metalic, and the blue plastic on the door sills looks really nice against the GBM.

I know they are going to start to peel, but until then, I am sticking with it.